Bullet Journal

frankie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very basic, no decoration at all, but I'm all set up for Lent now. I'm not religious at all, but it's an excuse with a set time limit to cut out some stuff in an effort to get a few pounds off by Easter. I'm aware it's a few days short, but I figured 45 days is a substantial time as it is, and I really am a chocoholic - I just completely failed to do chocolate-free February lol!

post-3572-0-31324600-1488325905_thumb.jpg

Good luck! Are you going to colour the squares when you've done well?

I am indeed. every day that I don't eat those things, I get to colour in a square. It feels very satisfying to do that and see it all becoming colourful.

• 4 weeks later...

Late to replying, sorry! :blush: 

Sorry to confuse you, frankie.  Um, I don't know what the technical difference is between a pen and a marker - I'm sure there probably is one - and to be honest, I tend to use them interchangeably, but I guess I would only tend to use "marker" as a thick felt type pen, and would probably only use it for chunky pens as opposed to the slim type of "pen" like the Pigma Microns which I would happily write with on normal paper as well as using with hand lettering and other art work.

Nah, no need to apologize, really :smile2: So, unless I got it really wrong, would you say a Pigma Micron was also a pen? You see, I would call it a marker. (Although I used to call everything that I didn't see as a pen being a felt tip pen, but now I've learned the word 'marker')

I bought myself three of these today - the 01, the 08 and the Brush pen.  I went to an art shop and they didn't have the set, but I figured these three would be a good start to see how I get on. :)

I recently went to a shop to get another Pigma Micron 04 and 08. Not that my old ones had run out of ink, but I wanted spare ones in case I lost any, etc. Anyhow, I thought I'd have to buy the package where there's the 01, 02, 04, 05, and 08, as I'd previously done. But luckily I was paying attention and found there was a shelf on the counter next to the pens, where one could buy individual Microns! :smile2: This meant I could buy the exact ones that I wanted and not have to get 01 and 02 which I personally don't like as they are too thin for my liking. And there were also blue ones! :wub: I had to get one, blue being my favorite color. 

So happy to have found a place where they sold these markers individually! I also got a grey highlighter, called Distress Marker :lol: I love it! 

We often call those types of markers 'textas'. And yes, that's what I picture when I think of 'pen'. I think, for me, a marker is partway between a pen and a texta. Whereas textas are quite thick and 'heavy', markers are more delicate but have a different type of ink than a normal pen. Does that make sense?

That makes sense, if I have got it right. So markers are the thin things, but they have the same ink as your textas, whereas pens are pens. 

I guess what I'm trying to say, for me, the pen is the thing that has a metallic tip, where there's a tiny hole wherefrom the ink comes. There is no extension which is in itself .. felt tipped? You know? 

(Although I've recently realized I've used the Finnish word 'mustekynä' which really means a fountain pen, for 'kuulakärkikynä', which is a pen (metallic tip with ink coming out of the tiny hole. So I guess it can be confusing in other languages, too :blush:

I've created a board on Pinterest to help me keep track of particular spreads and lettering that I like because I found I was visiting the same pages over and over.  :blush2:

I did this, too, in case I haven't told everyone already :D

I don't think I've seen Pigma Microns around. I'll have to look into them. :)

Over here I don't see much else. I see Stabilo, but I think those are not permanent. At least the ones I've got are not. 

Last weekend I went to a stationery store that's attached to my favourite bookstore in Sydney. I looked to see if they had any LT1917s and they had a huge range! I took a pic to show you all.

attachicon.gifIMG_4377.JPG

Hurrah for epic LT1917 section! :D <3 

Edit: Okay, I'm now looking at my old massive Finnish-English-Finnish dictionary. The 'pen' that I'm talking about, is called ballpoint, ballpoint pen, and in British also Biro/biro. 

Edited by frankie

I have to say that oddly enough, what with having bought brush pens and having all them colors available, I'm more and more drawn to the more minimalistic weekly spreads and stuff. I think it would be nice to try a basic black-grey-white weekly spread. (My problem is that once I got my two beloved galligraphy markers (baby blue and green), I did quite a few weekly spreads in advance, using the colors. Meaning next week's weekly is in color, still. I think I might like to try a black and white after that.)

Do you guys like to use color or go for black and white? 

I tried doing this once. Didn't keep up with it for very long. At some point I finally had to accept I'm just not the kind of person who actually likes writing in a physical notebook. It's a romantic writer affectation that's aesthetically appealing, but it's just too slow and none of the data is easily searched and altered. Everything in my brain just gets dumped into wikidpad, which I can't say enough nice things about. Unfortunately the android wikidpad app is useless garbage so if I'm out of the house and need to write something down I use google keep on my phone and transfer it into wikidpad when I get home. 

I have to say that oddly enough, what with having bought brush pens and having all them colors available, I'm more and more drawn to the more minimalistic weekly spreads and stuff. I think it would be nice to try a basic black-grey-white weekly spread. (My problem is that once I got my two beloved galligraphy markers (baby blue and green), I did quite a few weekly spreads in advance, using the colors. Meaning next week's weekly is in color, still. I think I might like to try a black and white after that.)

Do you guys like to use color or go for black and white? 

I still haven't started mine, but I'm getting close!  I have the same dilemma about whether to go with just black ink or whether to add colour.  I think I'm going to start with black only initially and see how it goes.  I think I'm going to carry on with lettering and calligraphy outside of the journal, so I'd be happier to include colour in that, where it'll be one off pieces at a time.  I'm definitely drawn to the plain black ink pages I've seen, so that'll be my starting point.

Hubby and I have decided to start watching Poirot right from the start, so I did a one-page tracker spread to keep note of where we're up to...

post-3572-0-15816600-1490568113_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found some nice washi tape in a shop I was in yesterday so I bought it. Has anyone else used their washi tape? I'm not entirely sure yet what I'll do with it but it seems a popular thing online so I figured I'll think of some use for it!

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I found some nice washi tape in a shop I was in yesterday so I bought it. Has anyone else used their washi tape? I'm not entirely sure yet what I'll do with it but it seems a popular thing online so I figured I'll think of some use for it!

I have, but its one of those things that (well, for me) is shinier and prettier in theory than for what I use my BJ for. The washi tape I got isn't sticky enough (more like Post-It sticky rather than tape sticky) so it kept moving and coming off so I just gave up on it. I DID end up decorating the front of mine with it by wrapping it around then gluing it to the back of the cover to keep it in place, lol. 

Nice to see you've found the thread, Abby! :biggrin:

I don't use my washi tape for decorative purposes much anymore. I only use it if I need to tape some pages together or if I need to tape something onto a page. The washi tapes I own are rather cutesy and as much as I like them, I'd now buy something more stylish/elegant. In a color I particularly liked. 

These days I'm mostly writing with a blue Pigma Micron and using a baby blue or gray highlighter. I like the more subdued look of the pages. And it's just so much quicker, not having to think how to do a page with a lot of color. 

That sounds really nice. :smile: I'm very much into the 12 yr old girl version of cutesy so.... SPARKLES ALL THE THINGS! 

No, really. I have a set of 98 colored pens with sparkly glitter ink that I use and my 5 rolls of washi tape are all glitter, lol. I do also use colored pencils to color in certain bits (like my writing WIP. Its a bookcase and as my word count goes up, I color in more books on the bookcase.) 

I'm struggling a bit with my day/week/month structure for everyday things. I keep changing up what I want my goals to be and the OCD ninja in me is super annoyed that the entire BJ isn't the same format. 

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I use washi tape along the page edges to differentiate between different things. EG my monthly spreads all have the same jazzy edge, my movie log has black and white, the reading log has a light brown stripe, and my TV log has blue stripes. My sleep log has multicoloured stars, and my "shark week" log is red washi with white stars.

I was playing around last night while watching a movie and added a lunar calendar for the year (with a howling wolf), and also a cover pic celebrating the Chinese year of the rooster in the front, right opposite the index pages.

17634740_10158364423230386_1075593303808990568_n.jpg17799207_10158364423110386_1359752347380373503_n.jpg

16 minutes ago, Kell said:

I use washi tape along the page edges to differentiate between different things. EG my monthly spreads all have the same jazzy edge, my movie log has black and white, the reading log has a light brown stripe, and my TV log has blue stripes. My sleep log has multicoloured stars, and my "shark week" log is red washi with white stars.

That's a nice idea :smile:!

16 minutes ago, Kell said:

I was playing around last night while watching a movie and added a lunar calendar for the year (with a howling wolf), and also a cover pic celebrating the Chinese year of the rooster in the front, right opposite the index pages.

Both look pretty neat :smile:!

• 2 months later...

Awww :(. It's a sad thing to say goodbye to one's first bujo. On the other hand, you could make the next one look even better, taking what you've learned from the first time about what worked and what didn't work for you.

• 5 weeks later...

I've started a new BuJo, I'm using a copper Leuchtturm1917. I love it! :wub:

I was visiting my hometown this week and went to the local bookstore, and found Staedtler pens. I've heard about them, and I wanted to try one. I fell in love with it! :wub: I think it's better than the Pigma Microns I've been using. With Pigma Micron, you have to hold the pen in a rather upright position, you can't lean to the side, because then the pen won't write as well. The Staedtler doesn't care if I lean to the side while holding the pen, it writes so perfectly no matter what. It's so much better!! I had to go back and buy another one because I haven't seen any of those pens at the bookshops in Helsinki. I even showed the two pens to my friend who's into bujoing but who hasn't gone as far with it as I have, what with buying many pens and only settling for an LT. She could totally see the difference in the two pens. I bought her one, too :)  

I want to show you a picture of my current bujo, and the new pen of choice, and the pencil case I bought in Nurmes, for only 3€! I love it :D I  love the color and I love it how it's got zippers all the way around: you don't have to find the one zipper in order to get to the pens, you just unzip the closest one :D

smaller new.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've found that now that I have a white table, everything looks more beautiful... I had no idea how much I really disliked the dark brown table that I had at the old apartment (it was landlord's). I hated it! Whenever I watched other people's bujos and videos of bujos, everyone had nice tables where they did the bujo stuff and I had a dark brown ugly one. Now that I have a white table, I've noticed what a huge difference it makes to have a table you like!! :o  

I've grown tired of my bujo. Not the actual concept or the insides, but the cover. I want to get a new one but that would be really stupid and so I won't. I think I need to decorate the covers. I loved the color of the cover before but now I don't. :unsure: I'll have to do something about it. Maybe the new table will help. Everything looks nicer with a new table. :D Innit??

I've started looking at Nuuna notebooks. They look so great! But the dots are closer together than in LT1917. I don't know if I could cope with such small spaces. 

Also, I was reminded of NaNoWriMo today and people were talking about whether anyone was going to use a bujo for it. What a perfect idea! :cool: