Bullet Journal

frankie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Well, you could track something interesting enough that would make you want to check your BuJo on a daily basis. Something that you are passionate about. And while tracking that specific something, it might encourage you to look at the other pages and keep up with stuff. 

(But also, you don't have to use BuJo for calendar-like purposes, you don't have to keep track of anything. The index system is really good for even noting down quotes on books and keeping book lists and other stuff in one place. It's really the index system that's so clever about the BuJo, and it's the index system that I'm mostly advocating :smile2:

Or then you could just try and see what happens. Or then just not try at all, which is also an option :D 

Haha Frankie :D.

I don't look in my BuJo every single day, but then I'm not tracking anything that would require me to do so daily. I know it's there when I need it and if there's a day where I don't need it, then I don't necessarily need to look in it. It's all up to the person how to use their own BuJo :).

I've got what I'm calling a bullet journal. I've got my master grocery list, budget, a list of the things I want to look for at the second hand shops and a housework list so far. I don't use it as a diary. I need a proper diary to keep track of when the kids and I are working.

Cool beans, chesil! :smile2: 

Bookmonkey, I see lot of people using a Bullet Journal for grocery list and meal planning. I've never quite figured out how it works, and personally I'm not sure what one would do with it... I'm not judging, I've just been really curious about it. Is it so that one can make sure one eats enough fish per week, or is it so one has ideas of what to do and therefore sufficient variety? And that one would remember which items to buy?  I guess I've never had to think about it, it being just me and not having to think about feeding other people. What I have started doing, though, is that on my weekly spread I make a note if I've eaten fish or liver or avocado. 

Decided to give this a go. I've been to the website and watched some of the videos. As I unfortunately know my limitations as someone who sticks with things like this - rather than buy an expensive journal, I managed to find an old exercise book, which I will use for now.

A slight departure is that I already use a A4 diary for work, and I already incorporate some of the features of bullet journaling already in this. So I'm going to keep the work one and use the exercise book for home stuff only. Not sure if that's the done thing with this really, but I've always been the kind of person who likes to keep work & home stuff as separate as possible. I think it should still be pretty beneficial for me - while I'm quite well organised at work, I tend to be less so at home.

Some of the pictures I've seen on here are amazing - but I have NO artistic talent at all, so mine is going to be very utilitarian. But I guess that's the beauty of the system - being "offline", you can adapt it to your own particular needs.

Cool beans, chesil! :smile2:

Bookmonkey, I see lot of people using a Bullet Journal for grocery list and meal planning. I've never quite figured out how it works, and personally I'm not sure what one would do with it... I'm not judging, I've just been really curious about it. Is it so that one can make sure one eats enough fish per week, or is it so one has ideas of what to do and therefore sufficient variety? And that one would remember which items to buy?  I guess I've never had to think about it, it being just me and not having to think about feeding other people. What I have started doing, though, is that on my weekly spread I make a note if I've eaten fish or liver or avocado. 

The grocery list is just the list of things I regularly buy with groceries. Each fortnight when I go shopping I go through it to see what I need, and hopefully I don't forget anything. I have a list of meals we eat regularly as I get sick of the same thing all the time, and sometimes forget what other options there are. I don't really meal plan as such. With our work schedules (or my lack of one) that doesn't really work. 

Okay, the Pigma Micron markers are great! :smile2: I now have what I need! I'm a bit sad that I can't use my colored Stabilo markers (I can  use them but I don't want to in case of a sudden flood or whatever and BuJo gets wet!), but I've now actually realized that maybe I would prefer writing in black, and not writing in every color under the sky... Writing in black and keeping the colors to the embellisments might be a much nicer look in the long run. I do love the colorrrific pages people make in their BuJos, but I really also like the minimalistic, chic look of plain black colors... Luckily one can do both in one's BuJo :D I love my Pigma Microns and also the two Zig Calligraphy markers I got (teal and baby blue). I love it that I now have what I need and I know where to get more!! :smile2: I'm well happy!!! 

(Also, the previous permanent markers that I got and was disappointed with might actually be okay... The thing is, as soon as I wrote something down and then tried to smudge it with water, it did smudge. But maybe it's a case of not having given the ink enough time to dry? So maybe they can be permanent. I'll have to test them :blush::D Yes, I'm impatient sometimes!!)

I'm glad the new markers are working better! Have you now had a chance to re-try the markers that you originally thought didn't work as well?

I'm with you...I like both the minimalist and and non-minimalist styles of BuJos. :) I'll probably go with minimalist and try adding a bit more colour once I'm more used to what I'm doing.

Care to show any pictures? I may have said this before, but I never understood what the grid notebooks were for, but now it all makes sense :D Love it!  

I've heard of Staedtler the brand and maybe of the pens, too. They're pens and not markers, right? A silly question but I'm just making sure. The word 'marker' is really new to me, I would've earlier just used the word pen for markers, too. Or maybe a felt tip pen. This is a whole new jargon for me.

Here's a pic showing my new Leuchtturm1917, which my brother sent me for my birthday, my triplus fineliners and the basic grid book that I bought for practicing. :)

I'm not even really sure what the difference is between a pen and a marker.  :10_confused: 

post-3835-0-89460800-1486299483_thumb.jpg

Oh yes I did! I've not had much chance of posting about it. For some reason I thought it would be an A5 book but it's actually a bit wider than an A4.

I'm glad the book has worked out for you. :) 

OK, so I posted my previous message 3 hours ago. Then I immediately started typing this response, but partway through I started looking up BuJo stuff. That means I've just lost 3 whole hours. :o I could have set up my own BuJo in that time!!  :doh:

I love the below BuJo image that I found in this BuzzFeed article. :D

Haha, that's awesome :D

OK, so I posted my previous message 3 hours ago. Then I immediately started typing this response, but partway through I started looking up BuJo stuff. That means I've just lost 3 whole hours. :o I could have set up my own BuJo in that time!!  :doh:

Something similar has happened to me too :yes::giggle2:.

I bought myself a notebook today.  I've been struggling to find them in shops and was planning to try and find one I like on the internet this weekend, but I happened to be in WHSmith today and came across this one (the last one on the shelf!) for only £7.99, so it seemed like a good bargain and not too expensive to give it a go.  It's a lovely deep grey colour, and the cover is textured, so it's very tactile.

post-4870-0-67566400-1486748354_thumb.jpgpost-4870-0-27030100-1486748372_thumb.jpgpost-4870-0-14283200-1486748382_thumb.jpg

Decided to give this a go. I've been to the website and watched some of the videos. As I unfortunately know my limitations as someone who sticks with things like this - rather than buy an expensive journal, I managed to find an old exercise book, which I will use for now.

All notebooks will work as a BuJo, it's a choice of what you like and what you need and what works for you :smile2:  It's the system that I really like and advocate myself, not a specific type of notebook :)  Glad to have a new BuJo trier! :) 

A slight departure is that I already use a A4 diary for work, and I already incorporate some of the features of bullet journaling already in this. So I'm going to keep the work one and use the exercise book for home stuff only. Not sure if that's the done thing with this really, but I've always been the kind of person who likes to keep work & home stuff as separate as possible. I think it should still be pretty beneficial for me - while I'm quite well organised at work, I tend to be less so at home.

I'm the same: I like to keep work and off-work as two separate things. If I was at my dream job (a librarian), I might combine the two, but at the moment, definitely not. I do have to keep a list of dates when my Boss puts money on my bank account (as I shop for her), so I do keep tabs on that on my BuJo, but the list for those dates and totals I started at the very back of the BuJo. I need the list, but I don't want to look at it while browsing my BuJo so I put the list at the very back. Smart, me! :cool: 

But yeah, in general people do this and that. Some like to keep an extra BuJo for work, some don't want one at all, and some have their work and personal stuff all in the same BuJo. 

Some of the pictures I've seen on here are amazing - but I have NO artistic talent at all, so mine is going to be very utilitarian. But I guess that's the beauty of the system - being "offline", you can adapt it to your own particular needs.

Exactly :yes: 

Now that I've decided to get one, I've already started thinking about what to put in it.  I've got lots of ideas buzzing around my head, I just have to see if I can execute them as well as I hope. :D

:D I remember what it was like...! :D 

The grocery list is just the list of things I regularly buy with groceries. Each fortnight when I go shopping I go through it to see what I need, and hopefully I don't forget anything. I have a list of meals we eat regularly as I get sick of the same thing all the time, and sometimes forget what other options there are. I don't really meal plan as such. With our work schedules (or my lack of one) that doesn't really work.

Wow, do you only go grocery shopping once in two weeks?! If you do, that's amazing. I wish I had your organizational skills!! 

Frankie, I said it elsewhere, but the pages in your Leuchtturm1917 look awesome! I love your writing.  :wub: 

Awww thanks Kylie for your kind words! :blush: 

I've culled all emoticons as this is complaining about emoticons soooo much even though I've culled almost all of them! 

I love the below BuJo image that I found in this BuzzFeed article

enhanced-17451-1463176212-1.png?no-auto

This sums things up pretty well.

I'm glad the new markers are working better! Have you now had a chance to re-try the markers that you originally thought didn't work as well?

I totally forgot to do it when I said I would!    I'm going to do it now, thanks for reminding me!! 

I'm with you...I like both the minimalist and and non-minimalist styles of BuJos.  I'll probably go with minimalist and try adding a bit more colour once I'm more used to what I'm doing.

I think that's pretty sensible. If you tried going very artistic right from the start, you might lose interest, whereas if you first kept to the most basic, most needed things, you'd get the feel of how to do it and how to sort of keep up. 

I don't think anyone was perfectly happy with their weekly from the start. I'm sure everyone, or at least most people, tried a few different things before they had a feeling of what worked for them and was pleasant for the eye. 

Here's a pic showing my new Leuchtturm1917, which my brother sent me for my birthday, my triplus fineliners and the basic grid book that I bought for practicing. 

Pretty!! And I know it's 'just' another Leuchtturm 1917, but gosh, I've come to really think of them as the top of the best.  I mean, something to admire. Even though I do personally wish the paper wasn't that soft. 

I'm not even really sure what the difference is between a pen and a marker.  

You don't?? I thought I was the only one.I don't know how to explain this to you... I would've said that a pen has ink, but then a marker has ink, too, but it's a different type of ink. 

Okay here's a picture of a marker. 

https://img.clipartfest.com/6cbdd3ada449a07e34253f27b63f74a4_home-expo-dry-erase-chisel-expo-marker-clipart_900-900.png

Here's a pen: 

http://stationeryinfo.com/uploads/images/company/54673c504e7be22151287365/pr/1416055250.jpg

I bought myself a notebook today.  I've been struggling to find them in shops and was planning to try and find one I like on the internet this weekend, but I happened to be in WHSmith today and came across this one (the last one on the shelf!) for only £7.99, so it seemed like a good bargain and not too expensive to give it a go.  It's a lovely deep grey colour, and the cover is textured, so it's very tactile.

Oooh that looks really nice!!  I've looked at the bookshops for other dotted notebooks but there aren't any, besides Leuchtturm 1917 and Moleskine. And I think it's a real shame!! Because I would like to possibly try another dotted notebook... If the paper was not as soft, I could imagine going for something else than LT1917 as my next BuJo. 

(I love it that LT is 1917: it's the year Finland became independent. 100 years ago! ) 

(Ah, now I know why it was complaining about emoticons... I had all the stuff above ^ copied twice at the bottom of this message box without me noticing it :blush:

All notebooks will work as a BuJo, it's a choice of what you like and what you need and what works for you :smile2:  It's the system that I really like and advocate myself, not a specific type of notebook :)  Glad to have a new BuJo trier! :)

I'm the same: I like to keep work and off-work as two separate things. If I was at my dream job (a librarian), I might combine the two, but at the moment, definitely not. I do have to keep a list of dates when my Boss puts money on my bank account (as I shop for her), so I do keep tabs on that on my BuJo, but the list for those dates and totals I started at the very back of the BuJo. I need the list, but I don't want to look at it while browsing my BuJo so I put the list at the very back. Smart, me! :cool:

But yeah, in general people do this and that. Some like to keep an extra BuJo for work, some don't want one at all, and some have their work and personal stuff all in the same BuJo. 

Exactly :yes: 

:D I remember what it was like...! :D 

Wow, do you only go grocery shopping once in two weeks?! If you do, that's amazing. I wish I had your organizational skills!! 

Awww thanks Kylie for your kind words! :blush:

I get paid every two weeks, so have to shop then. I get bread and milk in between times though.

I get paid every two weeks, so have to shop then. I get bread and milk in between times though.

Ah, okay :)

Kylie, I did the ink test for the markers I bought earlier and even though I now gave them plenty of time to dry, they didn't pass the test! Not permanent :no: I'm annoyed and betrayed! :(:D

Edit: Aha. I took another look at the markers and it says they are water resistant, not waterproof. So maybe there's a difference between those, even though I thought it was supposed to be the same thing. Here's a picture to demonstrate that I found online. 

82550.jpg?s=35e39b31f18ed9600de9ab72d1f3

So, water resistant resists water in that you can still read what's been written, but it's still getting everything smudged? Well I've learned a very valuable lesson today!! 

Edited by frankie

I've just wasted spent a couple of hours watching hand lettering tutorials and looking up websites and books online  :o  It has, though, inspired me to start getting organised.  I've dug out an old sketch book, a pencil and some coloured pens to practise some lettering before I commit to my journal.  I've also started making a list of pages I want to include.  I'm not using it strictly as a journal, more as a record of lists of things I'm involved in over the year, so it won't be for planning my life and routine, but recording what I do.

There's a couple of people I'm going to look into more of their videos, and I've also been investigating pens.  I don't know if it helps, frankie, but a couple of people have mentioned using archival quality ink which is designed not to fade and I think should be waterproof, and quite a lot of people mention the Sakura Pigma Micron pens (this is the set I'm thinking of getting with a variety of nibs including a brush pen).  I also want to get some artists brush pens for adding colour.

Oh wow! I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the tip. :)

Only happy to have someone benefit from my mistake! :) That way I feel there is some use of the whole ordeal :D 

I've just wasted spent a couple of hours watching hand lettering tutorials and looking up websites and books online  :o  It has, though, inspired me to start getting organised.  I've dug out an old sketch book, a pencil and some coloured pens to practise some lettering before I commit to my journal.  I've also started making a list of pages I want to include.  I'm not using it strictly as a journal, more as a record of lists of things I'm involved in over the year, so it won't be for planning my life and routine, but recording what I do.

It's really addictive, the whole thing, isn't it :giggle2: I love looking at people's BuJo pages online (on Facebook) and I envy some of the people's hand lettering... And I should get busy practicing mine, but I've been having other things on my plate so far. I hope things will settle down so I can get carried away in hand lettering <3 

No need to use one's BuJo as a journal :) Lists are totally fine! :smile2: I thought I'd get tired of doing the weeklies, but I've actually enjoyed doing them and I look forward to doing next week's one. That's just to say, for me it's been a case of thinking beforehand that I'll enjoy this aspect of BuJo the best and that one not as much, but finding some things not go the way I thought, as I go along :)  And one can totally go along with one's mood: if one doesn't feel like doing something for a while, one can just drop it and do other things. Regular, pre-printed calendars / journals bought from the stores don't allow that! 

There's a couple of people I'm going to look into more of their videos, and I've also been investigating pens.  I don't know if it helps, frankie, but a couple of people have mentioned using archival quality ink which is designed not to fade and I think should be waterproof, and quite a lot of people mention the Sakura Pigma Micron pens (this is the set I'm thinking of getting with a variety of nibs including a brush pen).  I also want to get some artists brush pens for adding colour.

:D I bought my set of Sakura Pigma Micron pens maybe three weeks ago, when the previous set was a disappointment (it had been water resistant, not waterproof). So I'm currently using Pigma Microns :smile2:   And I checked and mine say they are archival ink. But thanks ever so much for mentioning this, because now I know to look for archival inks in the future! (Should I not be able to find the same Pigma Microns for some odd reason)

I was needing to write something quickly down in my BuJo one day, and I used a pen that was not a marker, and I thought, I might regret this, ... but when I checked, it didn't leave any marks in the back! :o Oh boy! 

Okay, one other thing: I will now confess to having ordered a traveler's notebook online. I'd been toying with the idea for weeks, and it seemed like I wouldn't get it out of my system until I got one. I will still use my darling Leuchtturm1917 as my normal BuJo, and the TN I will use as something that I might take with me, wherever I go. I have a few solid ideas for which I will use it, so I'm definitely going to use it, and I'm still also going to be using my BuJo. :yes: I honestly cannot wait till the TN arrives in the mail! :wub: 

Edit: Having thought I might have different stuff to chesilbeach's, as she has pens and I have markers... I have now checked my Pigmas and they might be pens? I don't understand... I thought I'd just figured out what the difference between pens and markers are.  :10_confused:  English is mega hard!!

Edited by frankie

Sorry to confuse you, frankie.  Um, I don't know what the technical difference is between a pen and a marker - I'm sure there probably is one - and to be honest, I tend to use them interchangeably, but I guess I would only tend to use "marker" as a thick felt type pen, and would probably only use it for chunky pens as opposed to the slim type of "pen" like the Pigma Microns which I would happily write with on normal paper as well as using with hand lettering and other art work.

I bought myself three of these today - the 01, the 08 and the Brush pen.  I went to an art shop and they didn't have the set, but I figured these three would be a good start to see how I get on. :)

You don't?? I thought I was the only one.I don't know how to explain this to you... I would've said that a pen has ink, but then a marker has ink, too, but it's a different type of ink. 

Okay here's a picture of a marker. 

https://img.clipartfest.com/6cbdd3ada449a07e34253f27b63f74a4_home-expo-dry-erase-chisel-expo-marker-clipart_900-900.png

Here's a pen: 

http://stationeryinfo.com/uploads/images/company/54673c504e7be22151287365/pr/1416055250.jpg

We often call those types of markers 'textas'. And yes, that's what I picture when I think of 'pen'. I think, for me, a marker is partway between a pen and a texta. Whereas textas are quite thick and 'heavy', markers are more delicate but have a different type of ink than a normal pen. Does that make sense?

It's really addictive, the whole thing, isn't it :giggle2: I love looking at people's BuJo pages online (on Facebook) and I envy some of the people's hand lettering... And I should get busy practicing mine, but I've been having other things on my plate so far. I hope things will settle down so I can get carried away in hand lettering <3 

:D I bought my set of Sakura Pigma Micron pens maybe three weeks ago, when the previous set was a disappointment (it had been water resistant, not waterproof). So I'm currently using Pigma Microns :smile2:   And I checked and mine say they are archival ink. But thanks ever so much for mentioning this, because now I know to look for archival inks in the future! (Should I not be able to find the same Pigma Microns for some odd reason)

I've created a board on Pinterest to help me keep track of particular spreads and lettering that I like because I found I was visiting the same pages over and over.  :blush2:

I don't think I've seen Pigma Microns around. I'll have to look into them. :)

Last weekend I went to a stationery store that's attached to my favourite bookstore in Sydney. I looked to see if they had any LT1917s and they had a huge range! I took a pic to show you all.

Did anyone else know that LT1917 also does a range of Ex Libris notebooks in which you can track your reading? :o They look lovely! I'll be going back to the shop this weekend, and I'll probably buy one. (The Ex Libris journals are the pink ones halfway along the top shelf in the below pic.)

post-3835-0-27391400-1487647323_thumb.jpg