Bullet Journal

frankie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd never heard of bullet journals before this thread, so I've been doing some investigating of my own both in the links posted here and just searching the web and I'm liking the look of them.  I know, however, that I'd start it really well and after a few weeks it'd be put in a drawer, never to see the light of day again!

You are very welcome! :D

Unfortunately, it seems to be unavailable new in the UK at the moment, but I did see that it's being re-released as part of a kit in September - https://www.waterstones.com/product/creative-lettering-and-beyond-art-and-stationery-kit/gabri-joy-kirkendall/julie-manwaring/9781633223417- so I think I may be adding it to my Christmas wishlist  :D

It's available on BookDepository? :)  I do wonder what'll be inside the kit! 

Edit: From the publisher's website: "

This beautifully packaged, hardcover case is the perfect kit for any aspiring lettering artist! Get a handle on drawing elegant lettering the kit's 40-page project book, notecards, a slate board and easel, and all the implements any lettering artist would need.

We have pulled together the artistic talents of several professional hand letterers and calligraphers for a dynamic and interactive experience. They will be your guides as you make your journey through a myriad of projects and prompts.

Lettering has been steadily building steam as a new and trendy art form. Even if you're completely new to the discipline, with the provided tips, techniques, and materials, you will be completing project after project. In no time, you'll be experimenting with cursive script, getting your feet wet with calligraphy, and embellishing and illuminating hand-lettered artwork, just to name a few.

This all-in-one art guide is perfect for the artist in your life. The highly giftable kit brings everything an artist needs for a weekend of artistic fun, or a new skill for a lifetime.
Edited by frankie

I hope you enjoy this :).

A few more pages from mine:

Those are great pages, very inspirational :)!

From the Bullet Journal website that Frankie linked to, I found this blog entry of the top BuJo ideas for 2016. There's a lot of inspiration there, if anyone's interested!

That's a very inspirational link, thanks Kylie :)!

You got really, really lucky! :o For one thing, I couldn't find any LT1917's at the two bookstore chains we have here, and second, they cost quite a bit, don't they! Is it easy to find LT1917's over there, in bookstores?  

This reminds me: Do you keep your BuJo at home or do you guys take it everywhere you go, kind of like a calendar/journal? 

They are really easy to get the UK now, a lot of the big stationary chains have them in stock although the dot grid ones are a little harder to find than the standard lined ones.

I don't take mine everywhere, I still use my phone as a calendar and i use the Bujo to create daily/weekly/monthly to do lists to help stop my procrastination. I can't say it completely stops my procrastination but it definitely helps reduce it.

Mine stays at home too, it is A4 sized so would be too big for my handbag, I have a small diary I carry around with me, the Bujo is for weekly tasks and to record info/notes etc. Mine is a lined one as again far for practical for me, dots would drive me dotty! :D

They are really easy to get the UK now, a lot of the big stationary chains have them in stock although the dot grid ones are a little harder to find than the standard lined ones.

You are so lucky! How much do they cost over there? I mean normally, when they're not on sale. 

I don't take mine everywhere, I still use my phone as a calendar and i use the Bujo to create daily/weekly/monthly to do lists to help stop my procrastination. I can't say it completely stops my procrastination but it definitely helps reduce it.

Mine's not stopped procrastination so far, but that's also because I've been sick... But it has definitely made me do some things I've been meaning to and having to do for ages but have put off doing! :) 

Mine stays at home too, it is A4 sized so would be too big for my handbag, I have a small diary I carry around with me, the Bujo is for weekly tasks and to record info/notes etc. Mine is a lined one as again far for practical for me, dots would drive me dotty! :D

Oh you went for a big one! :D Dotty :D I find the dots very exotic. I never knew there were notebooks with only dots. Had I seen them before, I would've totally wondered what the heck they were for! :o:D 

You are so lucky! How much do they cost over there? I mean normally, when they're not on sale. 

Mine's not stopped procrastination so far, but that's also because I've been sick... But it has definitely made me do some things I've been meaning to and having to do for ages but have put off doing! :)

Oh you went for a big one! :D Dotty :D I find the dots very exotic. I never knew there were notebooks with only dots. Had I seen them before, I would've totally wondered what the heck they were for! :o:D

They are normally in the region of £12 - £15, so approximately 12-17 Euros.

They are normally in the region of £12 - £15, so approximately 12-17 Euros.

Hm... So even if they are easily attainable, they're not all too cheap. But not as pricey, either, as I thought they might be.... I have no idea what they would cost over here as I've not seem them at bookstores, as mentioned before. All I know is, if I ever catch a sight of them on sale, I'll buy them all :D I now know what they are worth....

I've been looking into the notebook prices over here, and an A5 Leuchtturm 1917 costs $40.

I'm thinking I might get one later in the year and give myself plenty of time to set it up for next year.

I've been looking into the notebook prices over here, and an A5 Leuchtturm 1917 costs $40.

So that would be 28€, ouch! Rather pricey :(  I got mine for 27,50€ but that included postage. 

Which leads me to yesterday... I needed to go to the pharmacy to get a few things and as my brush pens hadn't arrived in the mail, I thought I'd pop in the bookstore to buy just a few so I could practice on the weekend. I saw Leuchtturm 1917s at the bookstore! So they do have them, just not on their online website. Oh they looked so pretty :wub: I wanted to buy one even though I wouldn't have use for it as I have my own now :blush: They cost 22,90€. 

I got a few brush pens and tried them and immediately thought, these are crappy pens, the lines are too thick! But then I gave them another try and realized that they are fine enough pens, I just press too hard :blush: I spent probably 30 minutes yesterday with the pens, if not 60 minutes. At one point I realized that I had best try and practice the fine lining, i.e., trying to write in fine line. That was really tricky :D It takes patience and you have to be concentrated and calm :D But I realized it's fun and it'll be a great new hobby. Especially as it might make me into more zen :D (Unless I have a fit and throw the pens out the window :D

I also did a small drawing of a cassette player the other day, for a BuJo page that had to do with music. I haven't drawn anything in ages and I'm not good at it, but it was fun! I might try doing some other things, too. It's fun to do it just for fun, and not be in class in school, the teacher breathing down your neck and never encouraging you, but always criticizing. 

I'm thinking I might get one later in the year and give myself plenty of time to set it up for next year.

That's an excellent idea! :smile2: 

I love bullet journals, I've kept one on and off for a couple of years. After reading the thread, I'm definitely updating mine this weekend!

Yay!!  :friends3:   If you'd like, please post pictures! :smile2: 

The perfectionist in me is getting frustrated... At first I used my Stabilo markers as I like them, but then I realized that they are not water-proof. I prefer pens to markers by a billionfold, but pens leave marks on the paper used on Leuchtturm 1917. I mean marks as in the paper gets pressed down where one's used a pen. So I decided to buy water-proof markers. I found some, which didn't 'shine through' on the other side when I was testing them at the bookstore. But when I got home, they do shine through the paper used in Leuchtturm 1917 :rolleyes: Today I got some other markers from another store, thin enough and they're 'light-fast waterproof ink'. Well, there are four markers in the packet, and one of them (the thinnest one) dropped its tip, and now I've discovered that they smudge on the pages. Water-proof my ass. :(   

This is getting really annoying! Need I haul my BuJo to bookstores and other shops and try each and every marker on it just to be on the safe side?! 

Edit: I wonder if I could take the markers I bought today back to the store (I have the receipt) and tell them that they are not water-proofed and thus I want my money back? They were only 7€ and I'm not one to complain usually but I've bought so many markers that I'm willing to go back some day and tell the people to sod off and give me my money back :D

Edit2: I've just googled Finnish BuJos because I wanted to see where the Finns have gotten their markers and I now know which markers are permanent and the best and I know where I can get them. I'll have a think re: whether I want to invest in yet another set of markers or whether I should just go with pens. 

Edited by frankie

I'm so sorry about your bad experiences with the markers :(. Bad luck!

I've only ever used normal pens in mine but I can totally imagine the problems you've having.

Good luck, I hope you can find something that works to your satisfaction :).

Could you not use colouring pencils frankie? Would be a softer effect? Alternatively would gel pens work, you'd have to find the softer tipped ones (fibre tipped?) not the ballpoint ones but might work.

Good luck with your search!

I am loving mine but still only using black pen and being functional! I have all sorts of lists in there, health info, meal ideas, books and films, work stuff...so handy having it all in one place! :)

I got a Pigma Microne today, I'll have to test it and see what it's like. It should be a permanent marker and it should not ink through!

Could you not use colouring pencils frankie? Would be a softer effect? Alternatively would gel pens work, you'd have to find the softer tipped ones (fibre tipped?) not the ballpoint ones but might work.

I really dislike writing with coloring pencils! :blush: And for some reason I thought gel pens are not permanent? Anyway, I might have to give gel pens a go if the Pigma Microne doesn't work. Or then I'll just use a pen and that's that.

I am loving mine but still only using black pen and being functional! I have all sorts of lists in there, health info, meal ideas, books and films, work stuff...so handy having it all in one place! :)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being functional! :) I think after the initial excitement passes, I might get lazy and start doing the same as you and just use one color for everything and not make it fancy in any way. So far I've loved doing doodles and headers and whatnots, but I think a totally functional and minimalistic BuJo would look great, too! :smile2:

I'm so pleased you're loving your BuJo!! :smile2:

After I read about your problems with the various pens, Frankie, I started Googling 'best pens for BuJos'. I lost hours and hours of time reading about various BuJo things and got more and more excited. I ended up going out and buying a small grid notebook to practice on. I bought it because the paper it used was different and appealing, but later I realised it was too small to really practice anything on, so I went back out and a bought a large, cheap maths book with grids to practice on.

I also bought some Staedtler Triplus Fineliner pens, which seem to be used and recommended by some. I'm still dithering over whether to buy the Leuchtturm 1917, but my birthday is coming up, so I might ask for it as a gift. I know I said I'd wait until next year to start a bullet journal, but this year would be better because I have some big things coming up that require more organisation. :) 

ETA: Frankie, have you received the lettering book in the mail yet?

Okay, the Pigma Micron markers are great! :smile2: I now have what I need! I'm a bit sad that I can't use my colored Stabilo markers (I can  use them but I don't want to in case of a sudden flood or whatever and BuJo gets wet!), but I've now actually realized that maybe I would prefer writing in black, and not writing in every color under the sky... Writing in black and keeping the colors to the embellisments might be a much nicer look in the long run. I do love the colorrrific pages people make in their BuJos, but I really also like the minimalistic, chic look of plain black colors... Luckily one can do both in one's BuJo :D I love my Pigma Microns and also the two Zig Calligraphy markers I got (teal and baby blue). I love it that I now have what I need and I know where to get more!! :smile2: I'm well happy!!! 

(Also, the previous permanent markers that I got and was disappointed with might actually be okay... The thing is, as soon as I wrote something down and then tried to smudge it with water, it did smudge. But maybe it's a case of not having given the ink enough time to dry? So maybe they can be permanent. I'll have to test them :blush::D Yes, I'm impatient sometimes!!)

After I read about your problems with the various pens, Frankie, I started Googling 'best pens for BuJos'. I lost hours and hours of time reading about various BuJo things and got more and more excited. I ended up going out and buying a small grid notebook to practice on. I bought it because the paper it used was different and appealing, but later I realised it was too small to really practice anything on, so I went back out and a bought a large, cheap maths book with grids to practice on.

:D Oh yayyyy :D Care to show any pictures? I may have said this before, but I never understood what the grid notebooks were for, but now it all makes sense :D Love it! 

I also bought some Staedtler Triplus Fineliner pens, which seem to be used and recommended by some. I'm still dithering over whether to buy the Leuchtturm 1917, but my birthday is coming up, so I might ask for it as a gift. I know I said I'd wait until next year to start a bullet journal, but this year would be better because I have some big things coming up that require more organisation. :) 

I've heard of Staedtler the brand and maybe of the pens, too. They're pens and not markers, right? A silly question but I'm just making sure. The word 'marker' is really new to me, I would've earlier just used the word pen for markers, too. Or maybe a felt tip pen. This is a whole new jargon for me. 

Have you looked at the different colors? Or have I already asked you this. Which color Leuchtturm would you prefer? No, I won't get you one because I'd hate to get the wrong color, but I'm just curious! I hope you do get one for your Birthday if you still want one!! :smile2: 

ETA: Frankie, have you received the lettering book in the mail yet?

Oh yes I did! I've not had much chance of posting about it. For some reason I thought it would be an A5 book but it's actually a bit wider than an A4. I was personally interested in learning hand lettering and so I was looking forward to possibly seeing all different types of alphabets and styles and such. There is of course some of that, but there's also other things that I'm not personally interested at least for now (i.e. converting hand lettering to a digital format). (When I first leafed through the book, it seemed there was more of the stuff I wasn't interested in, but on a second glance, there is not. There's more of the stuff I wanted. And even with the stuff I'm not interested in, I can still steal some ideas of handlettering from there :D Even though they are working with a different medium, you know? )

I never heard of a BuJo. These look great!

Don't they? :wub: 

I want to share a few pictures. I was on Pinterest and there was a 'how to draw a Christmas penguin' there and I had to try it (did it on the 'doodle spread' on my BuJo) :D And the other picture's the yearly on BuJo. I really like it how it turned out :)

post-4458-0-44904700-1485710799_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-06413600-1485710819_thumb.jpg

I'm not great at drawing at all, so I thought the penguin was a huge success :D

One thing I like about BuJo is that having looked at other people's BuJo's, I got the idea that one can illustrate things on the pages, and it's made me draw a few things and it's fun! Like I said, I'm not a great drawer and I think that's kept me from trying to draw anything in years and years. I drew a cassette player for my BuJo recently and that was fun! So I've actually got a doodle spread in my BuJo, which is so unlike me. This BuJo is making me do things I thought I (never) would! :) 

Oooh and that reminds me! While on Pinterest looking for hand lettering and BuJo stuff, I started seeing all these mandalas and oh boy they look beautiful! So I did a little research and found out about how one can make one, and I now want to try making one in my BuJo :smile2: I also want to draw a dreamcatcher! They are so beautiful. I don't like the real-life ones because all I can think about is dust when I look at them (:rolleyes::D I'm allergic!!), but I love the drawn ones :D 

Edited by frankie