Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2017

Kylie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry I'm a day late, but let me wish you a very happy 10th anniversary here on BCF!!  :flowers2:  :guess:  :party:     Huzzaaaaah! :D 

And well done for having gone through the auditions! :smile2: I know it's a big thing but it's amazing that you still did it! :smile2: I wish I could see you at work!! All the best for the rehearsals! 

Also, have an amazing time at the book fair!! :wub: And do tell us what you got when you have the time :D 

Emoticons culled. *sad face*

Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary :hug:!! That is amazing.

I can imagine having to deliver bad news to people isn't nice at all :(. I'm glad you got it over with.

How exciting you're going to the book fair in Canberra! Last year I wasn't sure about going to the yearly book fair near here - but I decided to go in the end and was glad I did. I hope you have a great time and that you find many lovely books.

Thanks Gaia! Time flies when you're having fun. :)

The phone calls were the worst. :( I understated how bad it was in my original post. I slept badly for a couple of nights and felt sick to my stomach because I was worrying so much. There were also tears before and after phone calls (mine, not the auditionees'!) I've already sworn that if I ever direct another play I'll get someone else to make the phone calls, or I'll just advise people via email (even if that's considered less polite). I just can't go through that again!

Congrats on your 10th anniversary.  :D  Here's to the next decade! 

Thanks Janet! I know you joined before I did, which means we've 'known' each other for 10 years!  :friends3:

Congratulations on directing! I remember when you started stage managing!

Happy anniversary and have fun at the book fair, it's good to see you

Thanks Anna! My 'promotion' to director has been very fast indeed! I still can't believe they agreed to let me do it. Seriously. If you knew me 'in real life', you'd understand how crazy it is because I'm one of the quietest, least confident, least authoritative people I think you'll ever meet!

Ooh, 10 whole years ! Well done ! :D

Hee, have a lovely time at the Book Fair.

Thanks! I had a great time at the book fair. It was a quicker visit than usual (we went there and back in one day, which is around 6 hours of driving) and it was a stinking hot day, but it was lots of fun, as usual. Mum and I were tired but happy when we got home.

Happy 10th Anniversary  :party: 

Ooh, I love it when you post about the book fair and all the books you acquire ... can't wait to see what you get this year. :)

Hehe. :D Thanks Claire! I'm going to post the list shortly. I think it may be my smallest haul ever, but it's a good one!

There are always moments when I'm browsing the books and I suddenly spot a title that I would never have expected to find there, and I always let out a squeak of excitement (I would squeal rather than squeak, but I don't want people nearby to think I'm crazy!) I know it's been a successful outing to the book fair when I've squeaked a few times.  :blush2:

I'm sorry I'm a day late, but let me wish you a very happy 10th anniversary here on BCF!!

And well done for having gone through the auditions! :smile2: I know it's a big thing but it's amazing that you still did it! :smile2: I wish I could see you at work!! All the best for the rehearsals! 

Also, have an amazing time at the book fair!! :wub: And do tell us what you got when you have the time

Thank you my dear! I wish you could be here too!

You would have barely recognised the book fair this year! It's now so big that they've split the non-fiction and fiction books into two separate rooms! You remember how we turned right when we went indoors, and then we walked down a ramp into the room where all the books were? Well, if you turn left instead of right, there's another massive room, and they moved the non-fiction books there. And then the fiction books were rearranged a bit in the main room. There wasn't really extra space in the main room though because they moved all the checkout parts into the room (whereas they were set up in an attached tent thing in previous years). I'm not sure if I approve of the new layout. I'll have to go back next year and see it again. :P 

SaveSave

Here's my haul from the book fair! I haven't included a handful of books that I bought to replace other editions I already own.  :blush2:

Fiction (29)

Douglas Adams The Salmon of Doubt
Agatha Christie A Murder is Announced
Agatha Christie The Complete Short Stories: Miss Marple I think I squeaked when I found this book. I have the Hercule Poirot short stories in the same edition, and I accidentally bought a second edition of the HP stories, but this is the first time I've found the Miss Marple stories! Absolute bargain because it's been too expensive to buy brand new, and this book (despite its length) is in 'as new' condition!
Agatha Christie The Secret of Chimneys
Agatha Christie Six Against the Yard (written with the Detection Club)
Agatha Christie Third Girl
Dave Eggers McSweeney’s Issue 46: Thirteen Crime Stories from Latin America A gorgeous hardcover book.
Elena Ferrante My Brilliant Friend
Nina George The Little Paris Bookshop I'm pretty sure Frankie didn't like this, but I couldn't resist it anyway!
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe The Sorrows of Young Werther I've wanted this for ages!
Vasily Grossman Everything Flows
Emma Healey Elizabeth is Missing
Hugh Howey Wool
Marvin Kaye The Game is Afoot: Parodies, Pastiches and Ponderings of Sherlock Holmes Hadn't heard of this before, but it looks like a great find.
Herman Koch The Dinner
Andrey Kurkov The President’s Last Love Yay for Kurkov! Love this author.
Ann M Martin BSC #127: Abby’s Un-Valentine Still ever-so-slowly completing my collection. Always very happy to tick another one off the list.
Haruki Murakami Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage Thrilled to find this, and it looks brand new.
Vladimir Nabokov Glory
Boris Pasternak Doctor Zhivago I used to own a tattered secondhand copy of this but got rid of it. This edition is much prettier and is almost brand new.
Marcel Proust Swann’s Way #1: In Search of Lost Time Gulp. This is the first volume I've bought. It looks brand new and is the edition I've always wanted. I guess I now need to buy the rest before they become more difficult to find!
Vita Sackville-West The Edwardians
Lionel Shriver We Need to Talk About Kevin
Robin Sloan Mr Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: Volume 3 There was a definite squeak when I found this! This edition is lovely and looks brand new. I recently added all three volumes to my wish list, but they're really quite expensive, so this was a big and exciting find. I saved so much money! Unfortunately I couldn't find volumes 1 and 2, but finding volume 3 was such a big deal that I don't even care about the other two.
Julian Symons A Three-Pipe Problem
Donna Tartt The Goldfinch
Anne Tyler Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant This book (and this particular edition of this book) has been on my wish list for ages.
Evie Wyld All the Birds, Singing

Non-Fiction (13)
Douglas Adams The Deeper Meaning of Liff
Pierre Bayard Who Killed Roger Ackroyd? Years ago I saw this book in a secondhand bookshop. I was partway through The Murder of Roger Ackroyd at the time (the first Agatha Christie I ever read), so I picked it up and read the blurb. I was gutted to find that the first sentence of the blurb spoiled the ending of the book. So now I want to read the book that spoiled the other book for me.
Michael Bright 1001 Natural Wonders You Must See Before You Die
Brian Cox Human Universe
David Crystal Just a Phrase I’m Going Through
Simon Garfield On the Map
Steven Gilbar Bibliotopia This is a book of various trivia about books. I already have one or two books similar to this but I had to get this because the cover is gorgeous!!
Steve Hare (ed) Penguin Portrait: Allen Lane and the Penguin Editors 1935–1970 I hadn't heard of this before, but I love Penguin, so this sounds right up my alley!
David Hunt Girt Book about Australia.
Joanna Rakoff My Salinger Year I bought this because Kay and Sari recently discussed it on the forum. That's all it took!
John Reed Ten Days That Shook the World I've wanted this for years!
David Sacks The Alphabet
Martin Toseland Infographica Another book that I may have squeaked for; it has been on my wish list for years.

Thank you my dear! I wish you could be here too!

You would have barely recognised the book fair this year! It's now so big that they've split the non-fiction and fiction books into two separate rooms! You remember how we turned right when we went indoors, and then we walked down a ramp into the room where all the books were? Well, if you turn left instead of right, there's another massive room, and they moved the non-fiction books there. And then the fiction books were rearranged a bit in the main room. There wasn't really extra space in the main room though because they moved all the checkout parts into the room (whereas they were set up in an attached tent thing in previous years). I'm not sure if I approve of the new layout. I'll have to go back next year and see it again. :P

SaveSave

I don't remember turning right, but I do get what you mean. Oh boy!! :o:D Two rooms?!? :D Was it an anniversary or is it just getting bigger, what with more donations? Or did they not have as many cardboard boxes underneath, waiting to be opened and set up on the table as the table was cleared of some books? Oh boy! :D Are you sure you don't have to go again THIS year? :P:D 

Nina George The Little Paris Bookshop I'm pretty sure Frankie didn't like this, but I couldn't resist it anyway!  
:D I do hope you like it! It would make me sad to be right and have you not like the book! As you've now bought a copy.... 

Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe The Sorrows of Young Werther I've wanted this for ages!
I was just talking about this book with my Boss the other day! :) I've yet to read it myself, though. Great find! 

Herman Koch The Dinner
I hope you like this one! 

Andrey Kurkov The President’s Last Love Yay for Kurkov! Love this author.
Yay, more Kurkov! :smile2: 

Marcel Proust Swann’s Way #1: In Search of Lost Time Gulp. This is the first volume I've bought. It looks brand new and is the edition I've always wanted. I guess I now need to buy the rest before they become more difficult to find!
I got mine at the book fair, too :D 

Joanna Rakoff My Salinger Year I bought this because Kay and Sari recently discussed it on the forum. That's all it took!
I'm so jealous!! I saw a copy at the bookshop last week and almost bought it :blush: 

Great haul, babe!  :friends3: