15 replies to this topic

#1 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

What are you all going to eat for Christmas? I find it interesting to see what people eat, it can differ so much per country and even per family.

For our Christmas dinner on the 26th most of us are making a course. Each course is relatively small. My grandparents don't make a course and neither do my sister and her boyfriend. My dad is doing #4, I'm doing #2, Michael is doing #7, my brother and his girlfriend are doing #6 (see below). My mum does #1, 3, 5, 8 (and 9).

Menu 2016
1. Petit Entrée
2. Traffic Light Salad
3. Gazpacho Blanc ou Vert
4. Les Puits
5. Spoom
6. S.W.A.T.
7. Kaaskoek
8. Rots in the Branding
9. Café & Chocolat
Eet Smakelijk!
(we like to think of cryptic names)

And what it is, is this:
1. Mini quiches
2. My salad consisting of two types of lettuce, three types of bell pepper, three types of tomato, smoked salmon, two types of mini pasta, grated carrot and grated cheese with a French vinaigrette sauce. It might sound like a lot but I will cut most things into little bits and just give everyone one or a few pieces of everything, so it will be small.
3. Cold soup in two flavours (people can pick), I forgot which flavours though, one is white and the other green. I'll have to ask my mum.
4. The usual pastries with ragout (my dad makes this every year, for me it's not Christmas without it).
5. Lemon icecream with a drink over it.
6. My brother's and his girlfriend's dish, I'm not entirely sure what it will be. It is the main course, so I presume it will contain protein, carbohydrates and vegetables, but I don't know for sure.
7. Michael's mini cheesecakes in two flavours: lemon and chocolate (people can choose).
8. The mini dessert mum and I had when my dad broke his leg. Since then we've been eating them every Christmas. They're kind of like minibavarois, I think in 4 flavours but am not sure, it could be a different number.
9. Coffee and a mini chocolate.
We'll also be having fresh bread during the first couple of courses.

We're going to have a Christmas lunch as well on the 26th (and 25th), which for my parents means they'll be having 'kerststol', but I don't like that so I won't have it. Instead, there will be freshly baked buns.
On the 25th we're celebrating Michael's birthday with a Christmas lunch (see above) and in the evening we'll be having gourmet (just google 'gourmetten' if you're unsure what that is) with some special things.
On the 24th (tomorrow) I'll be baking Michael a simple birthday cake. We might also have something special to eat.

Does anyone else want to share their Christmas food plans?

#2 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:58 AM

Athena, that all sounds wonderful!  

I'll be preparing a fancy nut roast from scratch on the day.  It'll be packed with different types of chopped nuts, basmati rice, halloumi cheese, chopped black olives, red bell pepper, and other bits.  I've made it once before, and it is SO good.  

The side dishes will be:

Mashed potatoes

Carrot & swede mash

Broccoli

Brussels sprouts

Veggie gravy

Dessert is a toffee & pecan roulade, with vegan vanilla ice cream.

#3 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:57 PM

OMG, Gaia, that sounds awesome!!! OB, I'd love to see a picture of that nut roast.

We're done with turkey. I just can't stomach it anymore. We're going simple this year as its just me and hubby, mom and brother.

Roast duck

collard greens

sweet potatoes

rice

dinner rolls

and for dessert a punch bowl cake

#4 Little Pixie

Little Pixie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,621 posts
  • Reading now?:A risky way to kill - Richard Lockridge

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

OMG, Gaia, that sounds awesome!!! OB, I'd love to see a picture of that nut roast.

We're done with turkey. I just can't stomach it anymore. We're going simple this year as its just me and hubby, mom and brother.

Roast duck

collard greens

sweet potatoes

rice

dinner rolls

and for dessert a punch bowl cake

I was going to say ` what`s a punch bowl cake`, but I looked it up and it`s my favourite dessert - trifle ! :)

We`re having :

Nut and mushroom roast ( courtesy of Sainsbury`s ;) )

Roast potatoes, onions and parsnips

Sprouts, carrots and peas

Sage and onion stuffing

Cranberry sauce ( made by me last year, must get the leftovers out of the freezer for tomorrow ! )

Gravy

And Xmas pudding with brandy cream and brandy butter. :)

Everyone else`s sounds so good ! :D

#5 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

I hope everyone's Christmas dinner(s) will be lovely :)!

#6 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Reading now?:A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor & End of the Roadie by Elizabeth Flynn
  • LocationSE England

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

Have a lovely Xmas lunch/dinner everyone! :grinhat:

#7 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,273 posts
  • Reading now?:1984 and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

Last night we had caesar salad topped with baked salmon (seasoned with butter, dill and lemon). Fresh garlic bread and I had a Merlot.

Tonight, Turkey noodle soup, after a day of grazing on meats, cheeses, olives, crackers and left over bread from last night. This morning, we had our traditional scrambled eggs and ham with sourdough toast.

Happy Holidays everyone! :)

#8 chaliepud

chaliepud

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationLeafy Surrey

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:47 PM

Traditional turkey roast with all the trimmings here with the added bonus of roast beef, followed by Christmas pudding, mince pies and brandy butter. Completely stuffed now!! :)

#9 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Reading now?:A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor & End of the Roadie by Elizabeth Flynn
  • LocationSE England

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:14 PM

Egg and chips!

#10 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,220 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:18 PM

For Christmas lunch we had

Watercress and red pepper loaf
Mushroom pinwheels
Mini lemon and thyme stuffing loaves
Mini sage and onion stuffing loaves
Roast potatoes and roast parsnips
Carrots
Swede
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Sprouts (bleurgh ... not on my plate)
Cranberry sauce
Gravy

#11 muggle not

muggle not

Huggle A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,006 posts
  • Reading now?:Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:01 AM

For Christmas lunch we had

Watercress and red pepper loaf
Mushroom pinwheels
Mini lemon and thyme stuffing loaves
Mini sage and onion stuffing loaves
Roast potatoes and roast parsnips
Carrots
Swede
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Sprouts (bleurgh ... not on my plate)
Cranberry sauce
Gravy

Sounds pretty good. :)

#12 poppyshake

poppyshake

Booklicker/Toastmuncher

• Advanced Member
  • 8,517 posts
  • Reading now?:The North Water by Ian McGuire
  • LocationCirencester, UK.

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

We had turkey with some of the trimmings  :D (roast potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas, brussell sprouts with pancetta, yorkshire pudding, sage and onion stuffing, pigs in blankets and gravy.) After a loooooooooooooooooooooong interval, we had a frangipane topped mince pie (I made the mincemeat and the pastry and the frangipane  :angel_not:) with orange cheesecake cream (basically mascarpone cheese, natural yoghurt, lemon juice and clementine zest.) On Christmas Eve we had cheese and biscuits and pickles etc and then on Boxing Day, home cooked ham, egg and chips. The next day I had a sachet of Alka Seltzer :giggle:  

I am absolutely stuffed!! :blush2:  

#13 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,256 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

We of course were away for Christmas this year. We had our Christmas lunch at Lundy's one and only pub, the justifiably famous Marisco Tavern.

We started proceedings (well, you have to) with a complimentary glass of mulled wine. For starters we had leek and potato soup with a gluten free roll. The main course was nut roast with apricots and mozzarella cheese with roast potatoes and various vegetables and of course gravy. For dessert we had chocolate mousse topped with a strawberry and lots of cream. As we ate we both had another glass of mulled wine and plenty of water as well to wash it down with. Finally to finish off we had a selection of west country cheeses with oat cakes and coffee and a gluten free mince pie. Very nice it all was too, and worth every single penny.

Edited by Talisman, 31 December 2016 - 08:43 AM.

#14 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

Quite a few veggie Christmas dinners on here -- I love it!  

I'm cooking up the same meal for New Year's Day tomorrow, minus the roulade & ice cream, because calories, ugh.  I'm looking forward to it.

#15 shades

shades

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:45 PM

Christmas was and alwayas has been Honey Baked Ham, pineapple,mashed potato's and gravy.

And apple pie for desert.

Preparing Honey spiced Chicken Wings and a wonderfully nutty cranberry salad for New Years Eve

Happy New Year everyone

#16 Lau_Lou

Lau_Lou

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Reading now?:The Haunted Man Charles Dickens

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

Athena, that all sounds wonderful!  

I'll be preparing a fancy nut roast from scratch on the day.  It'll be packed with different types of chopped nuts, basmati rice, halloumi cheese, chopped black olives, red bell pepper, and other bits.  I've made it once before, and it is SO good.  

The side dishes will be:
Mashed potatoes
Carrot & swede mash
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Veggie gravy

Dessert is a toffee & pecan roulade, with vegan vanilla ice cream.

Minus one or two items, this sounds amazing!!!

I can't be without my meat. I'm terrible like that. Would try and cut down on the red meats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users