Read-a-thon - 2017

Athena

Had a good two hours of reading this afternoon. When I wasn't dozing off to sleep.....and hope to read another 2 - 3 hours reading this evening.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my progress so far:

Friday I didn't read anything

Saturday 'The Drawing of the Three'- Stephen King 7% read(I don't know where I got 20% the other day!)

Sunday 'The Drawing of the Three'-Stephen King 25% read

Total percentage read 32%

I don't really know what that means for pages read.

As I missed Friday completely, I'm going to do an extra day of the read-a-thon tomorrow.

20 hours ago, karen.d said:

So far, I'm really enjoying 'The Drawing of the Three'. It has a much different atmosphere about it and it is much more exciting. It has changed my mind about this series.

That's good to hear :)!

17 hours ago, Nollaig said:

I very badly haven't actually been online to update my progress, but here's what I've done since Thursday:

Thursday: Nothing on Earth - Conor O'Callaghan 161 pages (finished)

Friday:      The Escape - C. L. Taylor 280 pages

Saturday: The Escape C. L. Taylor 153 pages (finished)

The Slap - Christos Tsiolkas 177 pages (finished)

How I Lost You - Jenny Blackhurst 140 pages

So my aim is to finish How I Lost You today. Very happy with my progress, as I'm now one book ahead of schedule and should be two ahead by the end of the day! :)

Wow, you've been reading a lot!

11 hours ago, Marie H said:

Had a good two hours of reading this afternoon. When I wasn't dozing off to sleep.....and hope to read another 2 - 3 hours reading this evening.

I hope you had a nice time reading this past weekend :).

11 hours ago, karen.d said:

Here's my progress so far:

Friday I didn't read anything

Saturday 'The Drawing of the Three'- Stephen King 7% read(I don't know where I got 20% the other day!)

Sunday 'The Drawing of the Three'-Stephen King 25% read

Total percentage read 32%

I don't really know what that means for pages read.

As I missed Friday completely, I'm going to do an extra day of the read-a-thon tomorrow.

I hope you have fun during another read-a-thon day :)!

On Sunday I read:

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Marco Polo (Le Avventure di Marco Polo) (385 pages)

This was another children's book and thus had a big font. I didn't spend lots of time reading, but it's definitely an improvement considering how much / little I've been reading since June.

I didn't do my totals on Sunday, so here they are. I included Thursday simply because I read almost an entire (187 page) short book that day and wanted to count it!

Sunday:    How I Lost You - Jenny Blackhurst 212 pages (finished)

Pretty Girls - Karin Slaughter 40 pages

Total: 1163 pages across five books.

Definitely the most reading I've done in ages and the best read-a-thon since sometime last year. Very happy with that :)

31 minutes ago, Nollaig said:

Definitely the most reading I've done in ages and the best read-a-thon since sometime last year. Very happy with that :)

Well done :)!!

5 hours ago, Nollaig said:

I didn't do my totals on Sunday, so here they are. I included Thursday simply because I read almost an entire (187 page) short book that day and wanted to count it!

Sunday:    How I Lost You - Jenny Blackhurst 212 pages (finished)

Pretty Girls - Karin Slaughter 40 pages

Wow! That's impressive! Here's my progress:

Friday: I didn't manage to read anything

Saturday: 'The Drawing of the Three'- Stephen King  7% Read

Sunday:'The Drawing of the Three'-Stephen King 22%

Monday: 'The Drawing of the Three'- Stephen King 25%

Total percentage Read: 54%

I don't know many pages I read, but I'm quite pleased that I read over half of the book during the weekend. I'm really enjoying this book!

• 4 weeks later...

It kind of passed me by, but I just realised this weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) it's the September read-a-thon!

Yesterday I read:

Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 1: Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not-So-Fabulous Life (re-read) (283 pages)

Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 1: The Brilliant World of Tom Gates (re-read) (250 pages)

Is anyone else doing any reading this weekend?

Nice :)! I hope you were able to do a bit of reading :).

Yesterday I read:

Jim Smith - Simon Sukkel 1: Ik Ben (G)Een Sukkel (Barry Loser 1: I am (Not) a Loser) (re-read) (240 pages)

Lincoln Peirce - Big Nate 1: The Boy with the Biggest Head in the World (re-read) (217 pages)

Stephan Pastis - Timmy Failure 1: Mistakes Were Made (re-read) (296 pages)

These books have a lot of illustrations and I'd read them before, so I went through them a bit quicker.

I loved The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The NightTime! I'm glad you liked it too :).

Yesterday I read:

Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton - Treehouse 1: The 13-Storey Treehouse (re-read) (248 pages)

Dee Shulman - Mijn Supergeheime Dagboek: Reality-tv: Een Nachtmerrie! (Polly Price's Totally Secret Diary: Reality TV Nightmate) (re-read) (128 pages)

Ah sugar, I would have taken part. Didn't even think of it.

Well, I finished Eleanor Oliphant, think I read maybe a third of it since Friday, I read The Iron Man by Ted Hughes and I'm 80% of the way through Silent Scream  by Angela Marsons. So I'm doing pretty well.

• 1 month later...

No one posted about the October read-a-thon, I totally forgot about it myself :doh:.

The read-a-thon in November is on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of November. I won't be participating myself, because that's the weekend I celebrate my birthday with my family. I'll first be busy with preparations for that and then be having the actual celebration. I might have time to read a bit on Friday, but probably not on Saturday or Sunday. But I thought I'd post about it, because maybe someone else wants to participate.

The read-a-thon in December is on the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd of December. I don't know yet exactly what I'll be doing then, but if I have some time and energy, I may try to do some reading and participate :).

• 1 month later...

Today it's the December read-a-thon (see the above post or the first post in this thread), but to be honest I'm not really in the mood for it right now. It's been a busy and tiring week, and yesterday something happened that I did not see coming and that will take some time to process, so right now my mind isn't really in the mood for forced reading a lot. And my reading has been quite going well lately, so I don't want to force it and then end up not feeling like reading after the read-a-thon (can I consider my slump finally over? I'm hesistant to say yes in case that jinxes it). I will probably still read this weekend, at times that I do feel like it. I'm in the middle of re-reading the Kare Kano manga books by Masami Tsuda (I don't think I posted about that yet). There are 21 volumes, I've re-read volumes 1 - 12 now, so I'm about half-way.

But if I feel like it, I'll try to make more of an effort next year to be part of the read-a-thon schedule. Because I kind of do miss it and might feel like participating in some read-a-thons next year. I don't know if anyone else would be interested. I do plan on posting next year's read-a-thon schedule towards the end of December.

Anyway, if I somehow do end up reading more than a bit, I'll post about it.

I don't know how long you usually want to plan ahead for, but I thought I'd ask if there's any specific date at which you'd like to have the read-a-thon 2018 post going up? I don't want to do it too soon otherwise I seem too eager, but I also don't want to leave it too late and get people into trouble planning-wise (particularly for the January read-a-thon). If you say you'd like it if I have it up, say a week before Christmas or any other date (between now and January 1rst), then I'll make sure to have it written by then :). Lol, I'm looking forward to writing it already.

So is there a plan to do a read-a-thon in the first few days of Jan? If so, I'd be happy to participate! Also, would it be possible to include one read that all of us participating in the read-a-thon, could read together, or not?

Edited by karen.d

Yes, there will be a read-a-thon in January! It will take place on the 5th, 6th and 7th (Friday, Saturday & Sunday).

We don't normally choose a book that all of us will read, but if people are interested we could do something like that.

For me it would depend on what book it is, and whether I own it already or not and whether I'll be in the mood for it or not. I plan to mostly read shorter books (ie. some children's books with pictures, maybe a QuickReads, etc), as that seems to work better with my disability if I'm going to do lots of reading in a shorter about of time.

2 hours ago, Athena said:

Yes, there will be a read-a-thon in January! It will take place on the 5th, 6th and 7th (Friday, Saturday & Sunday).

We don't normally choose a book that all of us will read, but if people are interested we could do something like that.

For me it would depend on what book it is, and whether I own it already or not and whether I'll be in the mood for it or not. I plan to mostly read shorter books (ie. some children's books with pictures, maybe a QuickReads, etc), as that seems to work better with my disability if I'm going to do lots of reading in a shorter about of time.

Great! Will definitely be participating as this weekend will be a holiday where I am.

Edited by karen.d

On 07/12/2017 at 2:42 PM, Athena said:

I don't know how long you usually want to plan ahead for, but I thought I'd ask if there's any specific date at which you'd like to have the read-a-thon 2018 post going up? I don't want to do it too soon otherwise I seem too eager, but I also don't want to leave it too late and get people into trouble planning-wise (particularly for the January read-a-thon). If you say you'd like it if I have it up, say a week before Christmas or any other date (between now and January 1rst), then I'll make sure to have it written by then :). Lol, I'm looking forward to writing it already.

Ooh, whenever`s good for you. :D

I shall put the Jan dates on my calendar. :exc: