Read-a-thon - 2017

Athena

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time we did one of these I barely managed to read 150 pages from The Bell Jar. I assume math problems do not count here so yet again I barely read anything. Maybe, just maybe this month will be glorious. 

Friday - 68 pages of The Old Wives' Tale by Arnold Bennett

Saturday - 262 pages of The Old Wives' Tale by Arnold Bennett

I haven't done a read-a-thon for a long, long time!  I'm not sure how much reading I'll get done tomorrow, but I'm pretty pleased with my results in the last two days.  :)

Friday:     50 pages of Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley
Saturday: 59 pages of The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley (finishing the novel)
                69 pages of The Evenings by Gerard Reve

Sunday:   48 pages of The Evenings by Gerard Reve 

A rather poor performance :D 

Kudos for participation though! I don't know my exact numbers, but I spent a few hours finishing off Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also read a chunk of The Secret of Nightingale Wood, which I hope to finish today :)

I also read a chunk of The Secret of Nightingale Wood, which I hope to finish today :)

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.  :)

I read a total of 436 pages over the weekend, and finished The Old Wives' Tale by Arnold Bennett, which is around 650 pages long in paperback format! I'm very pleased with my total for the weekend.  

Kudos for participation though!

Yeah, I'm happy about that :) I've taken part in every read-a-thon so far this year.

I don't know my exact numbers, but I spent a few hours finishing off Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also read a chunk of The Secret of Nightingale Wood, which I hope to finish today :)

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Sharp Objects! :smile2: I thought it was excellent. I already posted in Book Activity -thread about it, but I would also recommend Dark Place by the same author. Gone Girl is not as good as the two other novels.

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case anyone who wants to do the read-a-thon in April, didn't realise it, the next read-a-thon is this upcoming weekend, the 7th, 8th and 9th of April (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

I'm reading a huge epic 1225-page book, which doesn't lend itself well at all to a read-a-thon. However, if I were to have it finished before Friday, I might contemplate participating (I could definitely do with reading some easier and shorter books after this one).

Edit: Tuesday 4th of April:

Well I spent most of yesterday reading and have now finished my long epic book. I'll be starting another book today or maybe tomorrow, so I don't know yet if I'll be participating in the read-a-thon or not (whether I'll finish the book in time and whether I'll even feel like doing the read-a-thon). I've been reading a lot to get my epic book finished, so I might also want to take it a bit slower with reading in the next few days.

Edited by Athena

Due to some health issues and being busy these past weeks, I did not manage to start reading Middlemarch when I planned (that is, in the middle of March) so I might join this read-a-thon with it. I am definitely in regardless.

I'm not trying to read 'as much as I can'  this weekend (because there are other things I have to / want to do), but I am reading the kinds of books I usually read during read-a-thons. Yesterday I read 17 picture books. Today I'm going to read some short children's books, starting with David Walliams' Blob.

I haven't actually read much today, as today was mostly spent running errands, doing shopping, working on things for BCF and talking with my brother and his girlfriend (he's in Peru) and my parents and my boyfriend.

EDIT: In the end I only read Blob by David Walliams (125 pages) yesterday.

Edited by Athena

Yesterday I read Bloody Valentine by James Patterson and K. A. John, a QuickReads mystery. I didn't feel like reading anything else after that, so I didn't.

So overall I didn't spent lots of time reading, but I did read 17 picture books, 1 short children's book (middle grade) and 1 novella for adults (which are all books that are suited for a read-a-thon read in my eyes).

The next read-a-thon will take place on the 5th, 6th and 7th of May (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

• 3 weeks later...

This is a reminder that the next read-a-thon is scheduled for next weekend, Friday the 5th, Saturday the 6th and Sunday the 7th of May. I don't know if anyone's interested, but I thought I'd post about it in case anyone was.

As for myself, I'm planning to go to the library next weekend, so will probably have a sort-of read-a-thon on my own after, but since I first have to go to the library and then will be cataloguing the loaned library books, I probably won't start reading my loans until Sunday in the later afternoon or until Monday. So I'll have a sort-of read-a-thon on Monday and the few days after that, I guess. It depends on what kind of books I'll find at the library, as well.

I would love to as I really need to catch up on my reading but I'm going away for the night Saturday night, and Sat and Sun are taken up with stuff around that. Might try do a bit Friday night.

• 1 month later...

According to the schedule, the next read-a-thon will take place this upcoming weekend, the 7th, 8th and 9th of July (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) :). So, really soon! But the past while not many people have been doing the read-a-thon (myself included).