Athena's Reading List 2017

Athena

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:46 AM, Athena said:

I read Diane Carey - Star Trek: The Next Generation: Descent. I watched these episodes a few days ago, and it turned out my boyfriend had the book, the novelisation of the episodes. He's never read it, he's not really much of a reader. I decided to read the book. I really liked the TV episodes. This book was nice too, though of course I did know what was going to happen. I liked that the book had a few extra scenes, which in my mind made sense with the story. I also liked that we got to know a bit more of the thoughts of some of the characters, as those are things I don't always pick up on from their facial expressions (and therefore don't know if it is what was shown on screen). It did seem to me that the characters seemed more heroic on screen whereas in the book they seemed more insecure, but only in their thoughts. Overall it was nice to read this novelisation and get a bit of extra insight. I would've liked to have more insight into Data, there wasn't much of that.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:58 AM, Athena said:

The Best of Both Worlds was / were awesome episodes and I loved them so much. I agree that Descent wasn't as good as The Best of Both Worlds. I did enjoy Descent a lot but it didn't come close to how much I loved The Best of Both Worlds. I haven't seen much of Voyager, nor of Deep Space Nine, though I plan to rectify that in the future (first I want to finish TNG).

I haven't seen the book....have to find it.  :)    Also agree about The Best of Both Worlds, it was better.  I've seen most of the ST movies, and in First Contact is probably my least favorite.  The Borg part of it was kind of miserable.  The Borg Queen was kind of icky. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26-7-2017 at 10:49 AM, Nollaig said:

Wow, I am in awe of your library. It's amazing, and exactly what I'd love to have at some point in my life. I'm glad you enjoyed re-organising everything and that you're happy with the end result :)

I love the throw pillows, too!

Thanks, Noll :)! It's nice to hear you like the photos.

12 hours ago, pontalba said:

I haven't seen the book....have to find it.  :)    Also agree about The Best of Both Worlds, it was better.  I've seen most of the ST movies, and in First Contact is probably my least favorite.  The Borg part of it was kind of miserable.  The Borg Queen was kind of icky. 

I haven't seen First Contact yet, or any of The Next Generation movies. We're saving them for until we've finished season 7. Only half a season left to watch, but we've been watching more Deep Space Nine and sometimes a movie (not Star Trek related). Sorry to hear First Contact was your least favourite.

12 hours ago, pontalba said:

WOW!!  Just saw your pictures of your fabulous new library!  I am truly impressed!  Absolutely beautiful, Gaia.  What a great job of it you made. 

Thanks, Kate :)! I'm glad you liked the photos.

When I saw Anna Woltz - Alaska at the library I had to loan it. Some time ago a young girl on YouTube recommended it, and when I saw it at the library I remembered she had really liked it, so I decided to borrow it.

The book is written by a Dutch author for older children and the book is about two young teenagers, Parker and Sven. Sven has epilepsy and has a guide dog since a few months, called Alaska. Alaska used to be Parker's, she had to give up her dog some time ago after one of her brothers had developed allergies for it. Parker's parents own a shop but last summer it was robbed and one of the robbers shot her dad. Parker was a witness and the event has left a bit its mental scars on Parker. In the beginning of the book the new schoolyear has just started (the first year of secondary school / high school) and Sven and Parker meet for the first time. They don't really get along, but when Parker finds out Sven's guide dog is Alaska, she wants to visit Alaska and see her, because she misses her old dog. The book is written in short chapters from Parker's and Sven's point of view, I think they alternate. It was nice experiencing the story from both perspectives.

This book was really good. I like reading books about dogs. The book also discussed bullying, fear and crime, disability. I thought it was well written and it had more depth than I would've thought for a children's book. I will say it's written a bit young if you compare it to the fact that the main characters, given that they're just starting their first year in secondary school, should be about 12 - 14. Their ages are not explicitly mentioned. 12 - 13 would be the age of someone just starting secondary school. Sven is redoing the first year, so he would be 13 - 14. But that was a minor gripe really, overall I really enjoyed the book and am glad I've got another highlight of the month to add to my monthly list.

It was great to read again after not reading for 2 1/2 weeks. I've read 4 books in July so far, with a total of 1267 pages (in comparison, in Jan - Jun I read 11 - 29 books depending on which month, and 3664 - 6375 pages). But I have been busy this month with re-organising my books and doing cataloguing, so it's okay. I hope to do plenty more reading in the rest of the year though :).

I read Victoria Farkas (ill. Stephan Timmers) - MainStreet: Een Onverwacht Spannende Vakantie (based on Danique de Groot - The Book).

I found the book at the library. I've read another book by the author and liked it. Apparently this book is based on a fanfiction story that won a competition. After doing a bit of research on the internet (after I read the book!) it turns out that MainStreet is an actual band from the region I live in, and this book is about a fan of the band and her adventures (she meets them too of course). Anyway, it's pretty cool to think that some of the characters of the story actually exist. I thought at first it was a whole series of books and that the fanfiction competition was based on the series, but it turns out that's not the case.

Anyway, the book is about a group of girls who go on a holiday together to Scotland. They stay at this really old mansion where they meet a few other guests too (including the band members). But there is something strange going on with the mansion, and the girls intend to get to the bottom of the mystery. The book is written in first person view of one of the girls.

I enjoyed reading this book, it was mysterious and spooky and suspenseful. It was not a highlight of the month, but I did enjoy reading it. It's a relatively short book, it has 159 pages and the book is pretty small (so the pages are too).

I read:

Boris Pfeiffer (ill. Kim Schmidt) - De Drie ???: Missie Mars (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Mission Mars)
Boris Pfeiffer (ill. Kim Schmidt) - De Drie ???: Ruzie op de Renbaan (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Rennbahn-Rivalen)
Boris Pfeiffer (ill. Kim Schmidt) - De Drie ???: Haaieneiland (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Insel der Haie)
Ulf Blanck (ill. Kim Schmidt) - De Drie ???: Een Zaak voor Superhelden (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Ein Fall für Superhelden)
Boris Pfeiffer (ill. Harold Juch and Udo Smialkowski) - De Drie ???: Alarm in het Dinopark (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Alarm im Dino-Park)

I enjoyed reading these books. They're not the highlight of the month, but they were enjoyable. The second one listed (Ruzie op de Renbaan) was a choose-your-own-adventure book.

July 2017 Summary

Books read: 10
Pages read: 2047

Most impressive / Favourite(s) of the month:
Matthew Green - Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
Anna Woltz - Alaska

Pretty enjoyable:
Dave Eggers - De Cirkel (The Circle)
Victoria Farkas (ill. Stephan Timmers) - MainStreet: Een Onverwacht Spannende Vakantie (based on Danique de Groot - The Book)
Boris Pfeiffer (ill. Kim Schmidt) - De Drie ???: Missie Mars (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Mission Mars)
Boris Pfeiffer (ill. Kim Schmidt) - De Drie ???: Ruzie op de Renbaan (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Rennbahn-Rivalen)
Boris Pfeiffer (ill. Kim Schmidt) - De Drie ???: Haaieneiland (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Insel der Haie)
Ulf Blanck (ill. Kim Schmidt) - De Drie ???: Een Zaak voor Superhelden (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Ein Fall für Superhelden)
Boris Pfeiffer (ill. Harold Juch and Udo Smialkowski) - De Drie ???: Alarm in het Dinopark (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Alarm im Dino-Park)

Biggest disappointment(s) / Least favourite(s) of the month:
Dr. Matt - When It Comes To Relationships, You've Been An Idiot

Abandoned book:
None!

Shortest books read this month:
Boris Pfeiffer (ill. Harold Juch and Udo Smialkowski) - De Drie ???: Alarm in het Dinopark (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Alarm im Dino-Park) (106 pages)
Boris Pfeiffer (ill. Kim Schmidt) - De Drie ???: Missie Mars (Die Drei ??? (Kids): Mission Mars) (119 pages)

Longest books read this month:
Matthew Green - Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend (458 pages)
Dave Eggers - De Cirkel (The Circle) (445 pages)

Other Notes:
July was my worst reading month so far this year. I read the least amount of books and the least amount of pages. I read 10 books, which is 1 book less than the second-worst months (January and June). I read 2047 pages, in the second-worst month I read 3664 pages (June).

I read Betty G. Birney - According to Humphrey: Holidays According to Humphrey a few days ago. Unfortunately I wasn't quite in the mood to read. I seem to still be in a partial reading slump, my mojo is still wobbly (so to speak). I came close to abandoning this book, but I pushed through. It's not the fault of the book btw, it's just me. I did like the book somewhat, but I feel I would've enjoyed it more had I felt more like reading (and more like reading this specific book, perhaps). But it's not the fault of the book, the story is fine and quirky, the characters are nice and it's interesting how the story is told from the perspective of a hamster. I just haven't quite shaken my reading slump yet, my mojo isn't quite back to normal yet.

I don't think I'll read all of my library loans before they're due, but we'll see.

17 hours ago, Marie H said:

Started The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & William Pitt #1)  by Anne Perry and still dipping into The Big Necessary; Adventures in the World of Human Waste.  Maybe I am not using the best term "dipping into" within the subject of sewage....:giggle:

Lol :giggle2:. Did you mean to post this in the  Your Book Activity thread? I can move your post if you want me to.

14 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

You too. :)

These are books I read recently:

Evelien de Vlieger (ill. Wendy Panders) - Felix: Hoe Maak Ik Een Vriend?
Evelien de Vlieger (ill. Wendy Panders) - Felix: Hoe Maak Ik Tijd?
Evelien de Vlieger (ill. Wendy Panders) - Felix: Hoe Maak Ik Het Aan?

These were nice to read.

Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 10: Het Feest van de Grote Donder (Occhio Alla Pelliccia, Arriva il Grande Bzot!)

This was nice.

Geronimo Stilton and Thea Stilton - De 13 Zwaarden 3: De Geheime Tunnel (Il Segreto della Tigre)

This was quite nice to read. I look forward to read book 4.

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Marco Polo (Le Avventure di Marco Polo)

This was pretty nice to read, I liked it and it was educational too.

Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 6: Weerwolvenfeest
Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 7 / 9 / De Leeuwenkuil 3: Een Weerwolf in de Leeuwenkuil!
Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - De Leeuwenkuil 4: Lang Leve de Leeuwenkuil

The first one was a bit short, but it was cool you could listen to the music of the book on the author's website. The other two books were longer and I enjoyed them a bit more. I'd like to read the first two De Leeuwenkuil books too, I liked books 3 and 4. For clarification, the second book on this list, is a cross-over between the series of Dolfje Weerwolfje and the series of De Leeuwenkuil.

Jeff Kinney - Het Leven van een Loser: Niet te Filmen! (Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary)

I quite enjoyed reading this, it was interesting to learn about how they made the films. I've currently only seen the first film, but I do plan on watching the other two. I just read online they're making another film too, so that's nice news.

I read Suzanne Young - The Program 1: Het Programma (The Program 1: The Program). First off, I'd like to warn that the book talks about depression and suicide, and this could potentially be triggering to someone who's sensitive to that. I had trouble reading the book at times. I did find I wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen next. The writing style wasn't great, but the book kept me engaged. I thought the characters were a bit bland at times, but nonetheless I found their journey interesting and I wanted to keep on reading to find out more. I liked the first book.

I tried to read the second book (Suzanne Young - The Program 2: De Behandeling + Het Herstel (The Program 2: The Treatment + The Recovery)) today and found I just didn't get on with it. It could be because I've been feeling very tired today, I'm having trouble concentrating and I don't have much energy (being on this forum is hard too, but I thought it might help if I wrote about my experiences). I didn't have much energy for anything, including reading. In the end I decided to have a bath (does anyone else do that? I find that having a shower or a bath makes me feel better if I feel very mentally tired). I got to about page 80, then I gave up on the book. There were several things that annoyed me (but spoilers, so).

I only have a few more days, until my library loans have to be handed in. I have a few left to read, including this second book in The Program series and another book in the same series that's a prequel, but I just.. kind of want to be done with my loans and want to read my own books. The pressure is getting to me. Is that weird? I can always borrow the remaining loans again, I just don't feel in the mood for any of them right now. Also after reading a lot of Dutch books, I feel in the mood for something in English, perhaps something by an author I really like. I guess this may be only understandable for those of you who also read books in two (or more) languages (rather than in just one language). After reading quite a few books in one language, I long for the other. I guess, they are both a part of me. I also feel more in the mood for reading something by an author I like, rather than the remaining loans which are by authors I don't know well in some cases. It's getting late, I guess I will make my final decision regarding the library loans tomorrow, after a hopefully good night's sleep (the past week mosquitoes have been bothering us at night - and I guess they will tonight again, unfortunately). But I'm tempted to leave them for what they are and go to my own bookcases and find a book of my own (ie. by an author I like) that I feel in the mood for. I still have a lot of cataloguing to do too, but I've been feeling too tired for that lately.

In other random news, last night I dreamt I was on holiday and I was visiting a book shop with my family (my parents and my siblings were there, as well as two of my grandparents). The books in the book shop were in Dutch and English, even though we were on holiday in I think it was Sweden? I don't know. In my dream I bought several books for myself but I also bought two books for my grandparents, one non-fiction book about a pastor and one non-fiction book about Christmas (both were non-existent books). One of the books I got for myself was a book by Brandon Sanderson, who's one of my favourite authors. I'm waiting for his Arcanum Unbounded to come out in paperback (if all goes well, it should be out on October 5th, and I plan to make it a birthday gift to myself from ie. my boyfriend). In my dream I found it in a really special, non-existent edition in the book shop and got it for myself. I also saw several Goosebumps and Fear Street books in English. I don't remember other non-existent books I saw in the shop in my dream, or what other books I bought. Usually I dream about non-existent books for some reason, in my dream they are familiar, but when I wake up I realise they are not and then I soon forget any details. That wasn't all that was in my dream, but it was the book-related part of the dream, which I thought might be nice to tell to other bookwurms :).

Some books just punch you in the face when you're not feeling great already. I've had it too - books that just got under my skin in a way that was entirely terrifying. 

When I feel mentally tired, a shower or bath don't really help me. But what does help is putting on my pj's, crawling into bed and putting on music I know and love.

I know exactly what you mean about reading books in multiple languages. Usually, I prefer to read in English. The past nine books I've read were in English and now I'm reading a book in Dutch. It was written by a Flemish author and I always feel that I need that from time to time. I can feel it in my bones, almost, that this is a part of me, this is part of my identity. The life I know. The next two books I have lined up are one by the same author and then one by a Dutch author. After that, it's very possible I will long for an English book again.

I hope you feel better soon!

12 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

Some books just punch you in the face when you're not feeling great already. I've had it too - books that just got under my skin in a way that was entirely terrifying.

It's not nice when that happens :(.

When I feel mentally tired, a shower or bath don't really help me. But what does help is putting on my pj's, crawling into bed and putting on music I know and love.

That sounds comfy :).

I know exactly what you mean about reading books in multiple languages. Usually, I prefer to read in English. The past nine books I've read were in English and now I'm reading a book in Dutch. It was written by a Flemish author and I always feel that I need that from time to time. I can feel it in my bones, almost, that this is a part of me, this is part of my identity. The life I know. The next two books I have lined up are one by the same author and then one by a Dutch author. After that, it's very possible I will long for an English book again.

That's what it's like for me too, I do feel I need a Dutch (and / or Flemish) book now and then.

I hope you feel better soon!

11 hours ago, Inver said:

:D...oh my...I've just looked at all your photos of book and bookshelves....!!! I think BCF need a trip to visit  Athena Library....:D

Thanks Diane, I'm glad you liked the photos :)!!

9 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Ooh,  I love having library/bookshop dreams. :)

Me too :)!!

On 11.8.2017 at 6:21 PM, Athena said:

I only have a few more days, until my library loans have to be handed in. I have a few left to read, including this second book in The Program series and another book in the same series that's a prequel, but I just.. kind of want to be done with my loans and want to read my own books. The pressure is getting to me. Is that weird? I can always borrow the remaining loans again, I just don't feel in the mood for any of them right now.

Not weird at all in my opinion! Sometimes when you borrow library books, you want to get to reading them all the minute you get home, but you have your current read to finish, and then after that, who knows what you'll be in the mood for!  I think it's the bane of the existence of a mood reader :rolleyes::D Like you said, you can always borrow the books you're not into now later on :yes: I've done that myself many, many times. 

Also after reading a lot of Dutch books, I feel in the mood for something in English, perhaps something by an author I really like. I guess this may be only understandable for those of you who also read books in two (or more) languages (rather than in just one language). After reading quite a few books in one language, I long for the other. I guess, they are both a part of me.

This is so familiar :)   Sometimes when you've been reading a lot of books in English, and you go for a novel that's written in your native language or one that you couldn't get the English original of, you feel so at home. And then you might want to read more in your native language. It's just such a lovely feeling :)  I think we're rather blessed to be able to read in more than one language :friends3: 

In other random news, last night I dreamt I was on holiday and I was visiting a book shop with my family (my parents and my siblings were there, as well as two of my grandparents). The books in the book shop were in Dutch and English, even though we were on holiday in I think it was Sweden? I don't know. In my dream I bought several books for myself but I also bought two books for my grandparents, one non-fiction book about a pastor and one non-fiction book about Christmas (both were non-existent books). One of the books I got for myself was a book by Brandon Sanderson, who's one of my favourite authors. I'm waiting for his Arcanum Unbounded to come out in paperback (if all goes well, it should be out on October 5th, and I plan to make it a birthday gift to myself from ie. my boyfriend). In my dream I found it in a really special, non-existent edition in the book shop and got it for myself. I also saw several Goosebumps and Fear Street books in English. I don't remember other non-existent books I saw in the shop in my dream, or what other books I bought. Usually I dream about non-existent books for some reason, in my dream they are familiar, but when I wake up I realise they are not and then I soon forget any details. That wasn't all that was in my dream, but it was the book-related part of the dream, which I thought might be nice to tell to other bookwurms :).

I love bookish dreams :smile2: Although I get sad when I wake up, because I know it was a dream and I didn't really get any of the books I purchased! :(:D  I also mostly dream about books that aren't real, oddly enough. I think it would make more sense to dream about books that existed? :shrug:

22 hours ago, frankie said:

Not weird at all in my opinion! Sometimes when you borrow library books, you want to get to reading them all the minute you get home, but you have your current read to finish, and then after that, who knows what you'll be in the mood for!  I think it's the bane of the existence of a mood reader :rolleyes::D Like you said, you can always borrow the books you're not into now later on :yes: I've done that myself many, many times. 

That's exactly it :)!

This is so familiar :)   Sometimes when you've been reading a lot of books in English, and you go for a novel that's written in your native language or one that you couldn't get the English original of, you feel so at home. And then you might want to read more in your native language. It's just such a lovely feeling :)  I think we're rather blessed to be able to read in more than one language :friends3: 

I agree, we are blessed :friends3:.

I love bookish dreams :smile2: Although I get sad when I wake up, because I know it was a dream and I didn't really get any of the books I purchased! :(:D  I also mostly dream about books that aren't real, oddly enough. I think it would make more sense to dream about books that existed? :shrug:

I think it would make more sense, somehow I usually dream about non-existent books though. Nice to hear about your dreams :).