Athena's Reading List 2017

Athena

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree :(. I'm doing a bit better this later afternoon than I was yesterday. A part of me still has some trouble believing he's gone, I'm still processing it. But another part of me is slowly getting more used to the idea. He was old, so I guess it was his time, but I do miss him :(.

1 hour ago, Athena said:

I agree :(. I'm doing a bit better this later afternoon than I was yesterday. A part of me still has some trouble believing he's gone, I'm still processing it. But another part of me is slowly getting more used to the idea. He was old, so I guess it was his time, but I do miss him :(.

You`ve talked about him with such love on here ; I`m sure he knew he was loved and couldn`t have had a better life. :empathy:

On 24-4-2017 at 6:40 PM, Little Pixie said:

You`ve talked about him with such love on here ; I`m sure he knew he was loved and couldn`t have had a better life. :empathy:

On 24-4-2017 at 9:24 PM, Madeleine said:

It must have been a shock though Athena, but as Pixie says, it sounds like he had a lovely life with you.

On 25-4-2017 at 0:32 AM, Inver said:

:empathy:

Thanks all three of you :friends3:.

I'm feeling a bit better today, but it's still weird to go there and to see only Lise and not William. I keep misspeaking by saying things like "I'm going to the goats", which should now be "goat", but I keep saying "goats", like I've been used to saying. When I get Lise food I also often take the amount of food with me that the both of them ate together, instead of halving it. I know William was old though and he already had problems with his legs, for the type (breed?) of goat he was he became quite old. We used to have 3 goats, Nena, Lise and William. Nena passed away quite a few years ago, I think she was 9. William was 16, so he had a nice long happy life here. Lise is 16 as well, so I'm not sure how long she'll be with us. The vet said goats (of this type / breed) over 15 are quite the exception, usually they don't become much older than 15 years old. He was pretty surprised William lasted this long. Lise seems in good health so far. I know William had a good life here and I'll miss him, I guess it was his time to go and I choose to believe he is now having fun playing with Nena in the afterlife (which is something not everyone believes in, but I do, it makes me feel better to imagine him having fun without pain).

Thanks for all your nice comments, it helps :).

I read Felicia Day - You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost). Someone from a Dutch bookblog I read, recommended this memoir and also Felicia Day's webseries The Guild (which is about 6 people who play a role-playing video game online together, they're in a guild). I watched a few seasons of The Guild and ordered the memoir. I've now read the memoir and I've also finished watching The Guild. The memoir is about Felicia's life, her childhood, being homeschooled, studying years, her acting life, her World of Warcraft addiction, creating The Guild, creating Geek & Sundry, but it's also about her anxiety issues. The memoir reads easily, it's almost as if Felicia is talking to you over a cup of tea (or another kind of beverage). The book has a lot of photographs and pictures and such, which breaks up the text nicely.

I quite enjoyed learning more about Felicia. I enjoyed watching all of The Guild and it's nice to have read more about Felicia's life, how she grew from being a poor, homeschooled girl to an actress with lots of fans. The memoir is also funny and I liked the way it was written. It was nice to get to know Felicia more. I could identify with her anxiety issues. I found the book inspirational and I really enjoyed reading it.

He was a very good age, I don't know much about goats and how long they live ,but if the vet was surprised then he obviously had a good long life and was well looked after.  I hope your other goat is Ok.  There were some baby goats on a vet's programme last night and they were adorable, like puppies with great long ears!

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I know William had a good life here and I'll miss him, I guess it was his time to go and I choose to believe he is now having fun playing with Nena in the afterlife (which is something not everyone believes in, but I do, it makes me feel better to imagine him having fun without pain).

Aw, that`s a lovely thought. :)

I read Simon de Waal - Bureau Raampoort 1: Bureau Raampoort. This series is the successor to the De Waal & Baantjer series. I've read all 12 books in the De Waal & Baantjer series and enjoyed them a lot. It's not a surprise then that I enjoyed Bureau Raampoort (1) as well :). I hope there will be more books. Considering it says 'book 1' I would hope so, but I haven't been able to find any more news about it. Anyway, I quite enjoyed this detective / mystery novel. I've also started watching the TV series that they've made, so far it's good.

Oh, Gaia.  Sorry to hear about William.  It's always so difficult when that happens, but as others have said, he had a good life with you and was happy and well cared for.  I've never had any goats, but they do seem intelligent and adorable.  :empathy:

Some great reviews above, I'm particularly interested in the Koch novella.  I'll check to see if it's translated yet. 

Edited by pontalba

17 hours ago, More reading time required said:

Aww, sorry to hear about William :(  

13 hours ago, pontalba said:

Oh, Gaia.  Sorry to hear about William.  It's always so difficult when that happens, but as others have said, he had a good life with you and was happy and well cared for.  I've never had any goats, but they do seem intelligent and adorable.  :empathy:

Thanks Kate :friends3:.

13 hours ago, pontalba said:

Some great reviews above, I'm particularly interested in the Koch novella.  I'll check to see if it's translated yet. 

It would surprise me if that was the case (so soon), but we can hope so :).

I read Cassandra Clare - The Mortal Instruments 3: City of Glass. I started this series at the beginning of the year, in January. I read book 1 in January and book 2 in February. Then for some reasons I found myself not in the mood to read book 3, until now, near the end of April (I was planning to read it in March) (it didn't help that I was also feeling pressured by myself to read the book). I'm glad I finally found myself in the mood though, as I did quite enjoy reading this book. It took me a bit of time to get into it, but aside from the beginning, the rest of the book was very suspenseful for me and I wanted to keep reading it. Particularly past the halfway point and further. I enjoyed reading about the characters and some of the plot twists surprised me. Overall then I'm glad I decided to read this book. Hopefully it won't be too long before I feel in the mood to continue.

April 2017 Summary

Books read: 29
Pages read: 4768

Most impressive / Favourite(s) of the month:
Peter F. Hamilton - The Night's Dawn 1: The Reality Dysfunction (re-read)
Felicia Day - You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)
Simon de Waal - Bureau Raampoort 1: Bureau Raampoort Rainbow Rowell - Eleanor & Park
Becky Albertalli - The Upside of Unrequited
Cassandra Clare - The Mortal Instruments 3: City of Glass
Angie Sage - Septimus Heap 2: Flyte

Slightly less my favourites but still quite good, this month:
Catherine Ryan Hyde - Second Hand Heart
Jean-Luc Fromental and Joëlle Joliet - 365 Pinguïns (365 Pingouins)

Pretty enjoyable:
David Walliams - Blob
Ingrid Schubert and Dieter Schubert - Woeste Willem (re-read)
Katie Cleminson - Otto de Boekenbeer (Otto the Book Bear)
Tjibbe Veldkamp and Philip Hopman - Een Ober van Niks
Martin Waddell and Barbara Firth - Kleine Beer 1: Weltrusten... Kleine Beer (Little Bear 1: Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?) (re-read)
Martin Waddell and Barbara Firth - Kleine Beer 3: Jij en Ik, Kleine Beer (Little Bear 1: You and Me, Little Bear)
Martin Waddell and Barbara Firth - Kleine Beer 4: Goed Zo, Kleine Beer (Little Bear 1: Well Done, Little Bear)
Max Velthuijs - Kikker: Kikker in de Kou
Max Velthuijs - Kikker: Kikker is Bang
Max Velthuijs - Kikker: Het ABC van Kikker
Max Velthuijs - Kikker: Kikker in de Wind: Het Schetsboek van Max Velthuijs
Max Velthuijs (& Others) - Kikker: Kikker en het Slaapfeest
Max Velthuijs - De Gevaarlijke Reis

Somewhat enjoyable:
Herman Koch - Makkelijk Leven James Patterson and K. A. John - Bloody Valentine
Guido van Genechten - Klein Wit Visje: Klein Wit Visje Telt Tot 11
Guido van Genechten - Klein Wit Visje: Klein Wit Visje Wordt Groot
Guusje Nederhorst - Woezel en Pip 1: Woezel en Pip
Korky Paul and Valerie Thomas - Hennie De Heks 5: Hennie De Heks En De Computer (Winnie The Witch 5: Winnie's New Computer)

Biggest disappointment(s) / Least favourite(s) of the month:
There were no books I really disliked!

Abandoned book:
None!

Shortest books read this month:
Guido van Genechten - Klein Wit Visje: Klein Wit Visje Telt Tot 11 (16 pages)
Guido van Genechten - Klein Wit Visje: Klein Wit Visje Wordt Groot (16 pages)

Longest books read this month:
Peter F. Hamilton - The Night's Dawn 1: The Reality Dysfunction (1225 pages) (re-read)
Catherine Ryan Hyde - Second Hand Heart (461 pages)