#1 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

Hubby and I are going to Virginia for Christmas. I'm so excited!!! This is our first year without our kids and we had planned on it just being us but hubby wants to go hunting (we have 112 acres there) and I thought it would be great to spend the holidays with my mom and brother (who will be traveling down). I am taking one book, my tablet and laptop and I'm thinking of some crotchet and some beading supplies. I want to ride around and visit some old haunts and just relax. 

I've got Kizzy booked for a nice Christmas grooming next Tuesday and I"m getting the house ready for our leaving and return. I don't like leaving dirty laundry and dusty furniture or empty fridge.

Anyone else traveling?

#2 Angury

Angury

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Reading now?:Writing at the Margin: Discourse between Anthropology and Medicine by Arthur Kleinman
  • LocationNorthern Ireland/Wales - UK

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

That sounds lovely, I hope you guys have a relaxing time.

I always travel during Christmas - I like seeing how other cultures celebrate the holidays.

I'm off to Lapland, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen and Flam on Sunday for two weeks - I'm really excited! I've finished all my packing, just can't wait to get going now. :)

I too have stocked up on my kindle for the journey, especially as I'll be taking a few long-haul trains. Nothing better than a nice cup of coffee, a good book and some lovely scenery passing by.

Edited by Angury, 16 December 2016 - 05:05 PM.

#3 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,256 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

That sounds lovely Virginia and Angury. Coran (my partner) and I are also travelling for Christmas this year. We will be driving down to Barnstaple in Devon on Wednesday to fly over to the little island of Lundy in the Bristol Channel by helicopter on Thursday morning. I have been to the island many, many times on my own, but it will be only the second time that Coran has come with me. We are both really looking forward to it actually. It has been quite a year for both of us (Coran had a punctured lung just over a month ago and almost died), so we could do with a nice holiday. We are staying for a full week and will be back on the mainland on 29th, driving home the day after, as one never knows what helicopter you will be on. With such a lot of people to get across, and only 7 seats in each helicopter, it can take several hours. I would expect them though given the high number of visitors, to have 2 in operation for Christmas to speed things up a bit. Coran hopes to be able to film the journey and make a spoof video taking the proverbial out of the Rimmel ads, which we intend to call "Get the Lundy Look". :P     

#4 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

Virginia, Angury and Talisman all your trips sound so wonderful. 

Hubby will be working Christmas eve and boxing day this year but we are hoping to get away for the new year.  We have never done this before in all the time we have been married.  If it falls through it does not matter as we will at least have five days off together.

#5 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:57 PM

My husband's job would have required him to work Christmas Eve and December 26 but he saved his vacation time. Next year he'll have two weeks!! No telling WHAT we'll get up to!

#6 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,256 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

My partner is self employed, but I have pretty much (up until now) always had jobs that involved working over Christmas and New Year. I worked in retail for 20 odd years, where I was lucky to get more than one day off, and then moved into healthcare, which until I got my present job 3 years ago now, meant working on Christmas Day itself. The extra money was useful, but not as much as having time off would have been. Because the charity I work for offers supported living accommodation, most of the clients go back to their families at this time of year, meaning that pretty much everything really shuts down, hence the opportunity, this year at least for a nice extended break. :smile:    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users