.Introduction, and recommendations?

lancer99

Hi,

I've been looking for a friendly book forum, and this seems like it.

My name is Robert.  Briefly, fiction reader on and off over the years, but for the last five or so years, pretty voracious.

I'm from the US, but lived for six years in the UK.  Still in touch with my UK buddies, all of whom are readers, but constrained by time.

Me too.... my work schedule didn't leave me much time this last year, but things will calm down as of January 1, so the pics are books I bought for myself as Xmas presents.

Any recommendations?  I'm especially interested in keeping up with any UK novelists that I've lost track of over the past 15 years.

Thanks,

-R

post-14559-0-56535800-1481694162_thumb.jpg

post-14559-0-06705300-1481694250_thumb.jpg

post-14559-0-13893000-1481694260_thumb.jpg

Welcome here :)!

I'm not British, so I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but we have a lot of British forum members here and I recognise some of the authors of the books in the picture that I know have been mentioned on the forum, so hopefully some other members can help.

I have read a couple of books by Ursula K. LeGuin, but I thought she was American? I've read The Earthsea Quartet by her (the first four books in the Earthsea series) and loved that / those, but I don't know what she's up to nowadays. I do have a couple of her other books on my shelves but I haven't read them yet.

Hi Robert, welcome to BCF. If you're looking for friendly and fun you're in the right place. :welcome2:

You've given yourself some great Christmas picks there, a couple of which I've read. The Existentialist Cafe was one of my favourite reads this year - witty, informative, and - importantly - very readable. I also enjoyed Nutshell. I mean, it's McEwan so you know what you're going to get. :mellow:

From the others, I've heard good things about Zadie Smith's new one, Nathan Hill's The Nix and The Underground Railroad.

Enjoy!

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I only know Le Guin from The Left Hand of Darkness, but both the compilations of her novellas and short stories have gotten rave reviews.

Also very much looking forward to Existentialist Cafe.  Even if I hadn't known what it was about, "Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails" probably would have sucked me in   :)

Again, thanks, look forward to chatting!

-R