Frankie reads 2017

frankie

I went to a bookstore yesterday, to buy a few brush pens for my Bullet Journal project, and there was a sale... It's the same sale but now it's -60%. There was a book I wanted to buy, The Sense of an Elephant by Marco Missiroli, but in the end I put it back down. Well done, if I say so myself :drama::D

Oh, I almost forgot! When I was checking out the Leuchtturm 1917s at the bookstore, I came upon this: 

attachicon.gif20170113_154102 (1).jpg

:thud::lol: She was waving her hand, very majestically! :D

:lol: Whatever next?!

Well done for resisting the temptation to buy a book .. very impressive  :yes:

How is the bullet journaling coming on? Hope you're enjoying it  :hug:  

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Whatever next?!

I have no idea. I'm just glad she's waving her hand and not, for example, twerking :D

Well done for resisting the temptation to buy a book .. very impressive  :yes:

It was hard but I did it! :D

How is the bullet journaling coming on? Hope you're enjoying it  :hug:  

I love bullet journaling very much but I'm struggling with finding the right sort of marker to use! I previously used my old ones but then discovered they are not water-proof... I then bought new ones that are water-proof and that did not bleed through the paper on which I tested them at the shop (they had a notebook for testing), but when I got home and tried them on my Leuchtturm 1917, they bled through :( Today I got new markers that are water-proof and thin enough, but they smudged!!   :censored:   Water-proof my ass. SIGH!!! (I'd love to use my pens, as I prefer them to markers and I always write with a pen. But they leave marks on the paper... Meaning they leave press marks. 

I googled what Finns are using for their BuJos and found a brand that's supposed to be good. So keep your fingers crossed...! 

Edited by frankie

That's a tricky question... I like my stand-alones, but then if the book is fabulous, why would I not love to read more on the subject and the characters in the next installment :smile2: I think I like stand-alones and series equally, but with series it's always a question of whether I'm able to remember all the things that have happened in the previous novels in the series. Like with the Sookie Stackhouse series. I'd read first first ten or so books, and then maybe a year later I got the next book in the series and started to read it, but I was struggling remembering some of the minor characters... I knew I had to re-read the series before I could really get to the book. So that's frustrating.

I totally get what you mean, I find that frustrating about series too.

I was discussing a book I got from chaliepud, in her reading log and I thought it might be a good idea to set up a priority reading list for 2017. Now, my mojo's not been very reliable in the past year or two, so I'm not going to swear by the priority reading list, but I thought having one might inspire me to go for the titles I need to get to sooner rather than later. 

I've been rather good so far this year: I haven't bought any books (I'm not counting the Hand Lettering book I bought, because that doesn't count towards the TBR pile and it's not an actual 'book book', and I've not reserved any new books from the library, and I've taken the books I've started but not liked back there. I'm slowly but surely getting rid of all the library loans at my place, which means that soon enough I'll be able to start with my TBR :smile2:

The book that's first going on the priority reading list is Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks. (Again, this is no promise, but who knows!)

Yay! I hope you get to it but no pressure! I have a mental list of a few I want to get to this year, some of those ones I have been gifted as I really feel I would like to read those sooner so I can offer feedback to the givers! :)

I've managed to not buy any books yet too, 21 days! That makes me happy, though whether I will feel the same when there are gaps on my bookcase I'm not sure! My plan is to read enough of my TBR so that I can swap them with the books on my Read bookcase, there is a way to go to achieve that though!!  :blush2:

Thanks to you, Frankie, I've been sucked into the world of bullet journaling I ordered a Leuchtturm 1917 from Amazon last night and some colored pens.  Can't wait to start!

Ahhhahaah!  :D  :friends3:   I hope the delivery's really quick and that you get to BuJoing soon! :smile2: What color is yours? Ooh I hope you will like it :smile2: 

Yay! I hope you get to it but no pressure! I have a mental list of a few I want to get to this year, some of those ones I have been gifted as I really feel I would like to read those sooner so I can offer feedback to the givers! 

I feel the same way about books that have been given to me as presents! :) But also I think of them as the best candy and I always leave the best candy in the packet for last :unsure: But that's really silly because who knows how much time one has and all. Why not just indulge in the best ones first! 

I've managed to not buy any books yet too, 21 days! That makes me happy, though whether I will feel the same when there are gaps on my bookcase I'm not sure! My plan is to read enough of my TBR so that I can swap them with the books on my Read bookcase, there is a way to go to achieve that though!!  

21 days is a long time! And by now it's 23 days! We're doing so well  :friends3:

Although.... I got a book in the mail today! :exc: But I didn't get it for myself, so it doesn't count. This book is a Birthday/Christmas present from my dear Kylie!! I had no idea what she would get me... Well, a book most likely, but which book, I had no idea! :D Inside was The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson!! :exc: It's a book that's been on my wishlist for ages! It's a true crime book and it's on the Rory Gilmore reading list, so that's twice the excitement! :D I'm totally psyched about this book, thank you Kylie ever so much!!  :flowers2:  :kissing:   And I love the edition, too! :smile2:

post-4458-0-23075700-1485191859_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankie

I've managed to not buy any books yet too, 21 days! That makes me happy, though whether I will feel the same when there are gaps on my bookcase I'm not sure! My plan is to read enough of my TBR so that I can swap them with the books on my Read bookcase, there is a way to go to achieve that though!!  :blush2:

Well done on not buying any books so far! Good luck with reading off your TBR :).

I feel the same way about books that have been given to me as presents! :) But also I think of them as the best candy and I always leave the best candy in the packet for last :unsure: But that's really silly because who knows how much time one has and all. Why not just indulge in the best ones first!

I'm just like you, I always save the best thing for last too! It can be a bit silly in the case of books, but I totally get where you're coming from :hug:.

Ahhhahaah!  :D  :friends3:   I hope the delivery's really quick and that you get to BuJoing soon! :smile2: What color is yours? Ooh I hope you will like it :smile2: 

I received my fine-point colored pens in the mail yesterday and will be getting the journal today!  I bought a black one.  I'm not one for bright colors but I know if I get a second journal I might venture out and get a pink one ;).  

I hope you enjoy Devil in the White City!  I've been hearing good things about that book for years and have it on my wish list as well.

I'm just like you, I always save the best thing for last too! It can be a bit silly in the case of books, but I totally get where you're coming from :hug:.

It's really silly because of course the number of books one buys for oneself will always be far bigger than the number of books one is given as gifts, so if one saves all the gift books till last, as the best ones, one will never get to them :unsure: It's really such a stupid habit. 

But one other thing which is why one tends to read the not-so-important books first: For a few years now I'm always not knowing when I have to move again, so having to move is always at the back of my mind and when I move, I wish to have as few books as possibly because books are heavy and take space. And I don't want to give away my gift books! So I try and read the ones I've gotten myself first so I can then get rid of them if they are not good enough for a re-read. 

I received my fine-point colored pens in the mail yesterday and will be getting the journal today!  I bought a black one.  I'm not one for bright colors but I know if I get a second journal I might venture out and get a pink one ;).  

Oh yay, that's awesome! I bet you can't wait for the mail :D I'm really not one for bright colors myself, usually, but the only colors available online were pink and red so I went for pink. But I do like the pink now... I love it very much! But I think pretty much all the Leuchtturm 1917 colors are beautiful... I think if I'd gone to the bookstore and seen them all, I would've had a very difficult time choosing one. So in a way I got lucky that I had fewer options. I might still be standing at the bookstore, choosing :D "Sorry Boss, I can't make it to work today... Gotta choose a notebook color!" :D

When you get started, do post pictures in the BuJo thread if you like! :smile2: I hope you will have a ton of fun with it :smile2:

I hope you enjoy Devil in the White City!  I've been hearing good things about that book for years and have it on my wish list as well.

I have a feeling I will love the book :yes: Let's see which one of us gets to it first! :D

I got another book in the mail from Kylie! :o:thud::wub:  Maybe The Devil was my Bday present and today's was my Christmas present? I don't know, but I'm mighty happy and grateful for my news books! Thank you Kylie ever so much!!!  :flowers2:    :friends3:  :readingtwo:   

I got Skippy Dies by Paul Murray, which has been on my wishlist since 2010. As it just so happens, I was in Australia, living with Kylie, when I saw this book at a bookstore or somewhere and read the blurb and added the title to my wishlist. I've been wanting to read it for ages! And now I have my very own copy :smile2:

post-4458-0-14088500-1485270080_thumb.jpg

It's really silly because of course the number of books one buys for oneself will always be far bigger than the number of books one is given as gifts, so if one saves all the gift books till last, as the best ones, one will never get to them :unsure: It's really such a stupid habit. 

But one other thing which is why one tends to read the not-so-important books first: For a few years now I'm always not knowing when I have to move again, so having to move is always at the back of my mind and when I move, I wish to have as few books as possibly because books are heavy and take space. And I don't want to give away my gift books! So I try and read the ones I've gotten myself first so I can then get rid of them if they are not good enough for a re-read.

Yeah, that's true!

That makes a lot of sense, about you moving a lot and wanting to read other titles off your TBR first because of that. 

I got another book in the mail from Kylie! :o:thud::wub:  Maybe The Devil was my Bday present and today's was my Christmas present? I don't know, but I'm mighty happy and grateful for my news books! Thank you Kylie ever so much!!!  :flowers2:    :friends3:  :readingtwo:   

I got Skippy Dies by Paul Murray, which has been on my wishlist since 2010. As it just so happens, I was in Australia, living with Kylie, when I saw this book at a bookstore or somewhere and read the blurb and added the title to my wishlist. I've been wanting to read it for ages! And now I have my very own copy :smile2:

How amazing you got your own copy now, that's so sweet of Kylie :). It's a beautiful cover, I hope you enjoy the book :)!

attachicon.gifskippy.jpg

This is brilliant .. what a great book :wub: I absolutely loved it .. hope you do too :hug: 

This is brilliant .. what a great book :wub: I absolutely loved it .. hope you do too :hug: 

I remember you loving it, and I know it's on your personal 1001 Books list :smile2: I have a feeling I will enjoy it greatly, but it's a long book so it'll need a very specific sort of time (with no distractions!) and the fitting mood. 

In related news, I've read another book off the library loans list, and I've not borrowed any new books, so I'm getting closer to finally moving on to my TBR list! :smile2: I actually have only 3 novels to read, the rest are non-fictional items, some of which might be better to just skim-read (without adding to read books list), as they may not be the sort of thing one has to / needs to read from cover to cover. Actually, I might as well tell you that I've borrowed a few books on things like social anxiety and shyness, and the neuroscience of happines and such like. Self-improvement stuff. I want to be a braver person. 

I've also got Off the Road by Carolyn Cassady which I really, really want to read! 

Where was I... I drift off, I have my second flu of the year and this one's worse than the previous one, so my brain's a bit fluffy. 

3. Kohtalokas merimatka by Lone Theils

This is the first novel in a Danish crime series by Lone Theils, and this is actually her debut novel as well. It's 1985 and two Danish girls disappear without a trace on a cruise to England. Years later a Danish reporter finds an old bag at an antique store, and in that bag she finds pictures of several teenage girls. One of the pictures shows the two missing girls. Danish reporter is off to investigate. 

Thoughts: This book was recommended in some magazine or something, and I had high hopes for it. I like how the author has used a real serial killer as the prime suspect in the novel, but that's pretty much all the things I like in the book. The storyline wasn't that innovative in my opinion, and I certainly didn't warm to the main character, reporter Nora Sands. I actually found her really annoing and flippant. Which is really a big enough reason to dislike the book, as I've read a big number of crime novels and the thing that strikes me the most in them is how so many authors are able to create such interesting and original detectives, ones who I really want to get to know. One of the reviews I read of this book said that they couldn't wait to get to know Sands better... I thought, I'm happy to have finished the novel so I don't have to deal with her again. :unsure:

I'm sorry that I didn't like it but it can't be helped. 

(I don't know if the book has been translated into English yet. Edit: The English translation is called Fatal Crossing and will come out in May, 2017, if anyone's interested.))

2/5

Edited by frankie

In related news, I've read another book off the library loans list, and I've not borrowed any new books, so I'm getting closer to finally moving on to my TBR list! :smile2: I actually have only 3 novels to read, the rest are non-fictional items, some of which might be better to just skim-read (without adding to read books list), as they may not be the sort of thing one has to / needs to read from cover to cover. Actually, I might as well tell you that I've borrowed a few books on things like social anxiety and shyness, and the neuroscience of happines and such like. Self-improvement stuff. I want to be a braver person. 

I've also got Off the Road by Carolyn Cassady which I really, really want to read! 

Where was I... I drift off, I have my second flu of the year and this one's worse than the previous one, so my brain's a bit fluffy.

I'd love to hear it if you read a really good book on social anxiety and happiness and such.

I'm sorry you've got another bout of the flu :(. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:!

3. Kohtalokas merimatka by Lone Theils

What a shame this book wasn't enjoyable for you. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable :).

I'd love to hear it if you read a really good book on social anxiety and happiness and such.

The book is called Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness, it's this one by Gillian Butler. I don't suppose you've heard of it? 

I'm sorry you've got another bout of the flu :(. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:!

Thanks Athena!  :friends3:   It's getting really annoying and boring, being sick all the time. Well not literally, but I was sick for a week and then had one good week and now I'm sick again. Oh bother! (Well at least I went on a really fun cruise in between so I'll have some nice memories of January 2017 :D )

But I'll just have to deal with it. At least I have Netflix and books to read :) 

What a shame this book wasn't enjoyable for you. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable :).

Thanks! I've started reading How to Find Love in a Book Shop by Veronica Henry. I think I've talked about this book very briefly with you? Or at least I think I've read that you either have a copy or have borrowed it from the library or have it on your wishlist? I hope it will be a good one :) 

The book is called Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness, it's this one by Gillian Butler. I don't suppose you've heard of it?

I haven't but it looks nice :).

Thanks Athena!  :friends3:   It's getting really annoying and boring, being sick all the time. Well not literally, but I was sick for a week and then had one good week and now I'm sick again. Oh bother! (Well at least I went on a really fun cruise in between so I'll have some nice memories of January 2017 :D )

But I'll just have to deal with it. At least I have Netflix and books to read :)

I'm sorry you're getting sick so often :(. I'm glad you have some things to keep you busy at least :)

Thanks! I've started reading How to Find Love in a Book Shop by Veronica Henry. I think I've talked about this book very briefly with you? Or at least I think I've read that you either have a copy or have borrowed it from the library or have it on your wishlist? I hope it will be a good one :)

You are right, we did talk about it! It was on my wishlist when we talked, and then I was given the book for my birthday (I haven't yet been in the mood to read it; I didn't post I got the book for my birthday though, I didn't post any of my birthday stuff I think). I look forward to hear your thoughts on it, I hope it will be a good book :).

Flu twice! Yikes....hope it goes away (soon), and stays away this time. Sending good vibes your way!

Thank you pontalba! It's really twice too much in my opinion :D 

You are right, we did talk about it! It was on my wishlist when we talked, and then I was given the book for my birthday (I haven't yet been in the mood to read it; I didn't post I got the book for my birthday though, I didn't post any of my birthday stuff I think). I look forward to hear your thoughts on it, I hope it will be a good book :).

I'm 88 pages in and I'm liking it so far! :smile2: 

I had a package waiting for me at the post office and today I was able to get it. I knew it was from poppyshake, for Christmas / Birthday. I got Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley and Plumdog by Emma Chichester Clark! :wub: The former has been on my wishlist for some months now, and I was eyeing a copy at the local bookstore in December, but thought I'd better be boring and sensible and borrow the book from the library... Now I don't have to! :D:smile2: Plumdog is a doggy book I've not heard of before, but oh my lord it's gorgeous! :wub: It's a diary by Plum, a whippet, Jack Russell and poodle mix. (He - or is it a she! I've not yet sussed it out - says 'I especially like swimming, leaping, and croissants, and my favorite fragrance is fox poop.' at the back.)  I've already read a few pages and I know I'm going to love Plum!! 

I have a few pictures: 

post-4458-0-02674200-1485881463_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-48822600-1485881481_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-31430900-1485881493_thumb.jpg
Thank you poppyshake for my new books!  :flowers2:    They are brilliant!! :wub:

I saw you wanted to read Plumdog on GoodReads. I hadn't heard of it, so I clicked on the description, it sounds like it could be a good book! I'll look forward to your review when you get around to reading the book :). I hope you enjoy both of the books you've been gifted :).