Frankie reads 2017

frankie

I'll have to come back to the other comments later when I have more time, but for now I need to comment on the Lundia thing. Athena, I told my Boss about out talk about Lundia and how you had discovered that Lundia is a Dutch product. Boss told me that no, it's a Finnish product. I was then really confused, and so was Boss, although she kept insisting that Lundia is Finnish. We did a little digging online...

It appears that it was a Swedish man called Harald Lundqvist who came up with the concept of a bookcase you could easily dismantle and move. (The Finnish) Wikipedia then says that Sinituote bought Lundia from Paloheimo in 2004. So according to the Finnish wikipedia, Lundia is now Finnish. Lundia's own Finnish website also boasts of being Finnish and how they only use Finnish wood in their products. 

So maybe it's a case of different countries using Lundqvist's concept and all of our respective Lundias are domestic as they use wood from their own forests? :shrug:   I don't know.  All I know that originally it's a Swedish idea. I don't like it how the Finnish Lundia website is all about Finnishness and domestic this and domestic that. 

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16.9.2017 at 1:18 AM, Lau_Lou said:

Happy 9 year anniversary :)

Thank you! :smile2:

What you have just said there, reminds me that I am a member of a couple of forums, not for books but for films. I joined around 11 years ago and it was such a lovely, warm place then things escalated.  Now you could see a tumbleweed pass through. 

I hate it when things escalate sometimes :(  But I also hate it when forums go quiet :(   I think the social media and all those other platforms are taking away from forums :(

Sorry to hear you're still not 100%. Can you not get an extension on your sick leave?

I could have, but I would've felt awful about it because I've already been on sick leave for so long, previously, after my three week summer holiday :(  However, I didn't need to get an extension as I started feeling better on Saturday! I went to work this week and I've been just fine. I'm so happy to be myself again! :D 

On 16.9.2017 at 11:26 AM, Athena said:

That's true, it was 9 January 2013, so 4 1/2 years ago now :). Next year in 2018 will be my 5-year anniversary. Somehow the date always passes me by before I realise it though :doh:.

You should write it down on your Bujo so you could celebrate the day! :)  Or are you perhaps all partied out after December :D

On 16.9.2017 at 11:26 AM, Athena said:

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear you're still not feeling better :(. I'm glad your results were good, but it is also worrying as it seems to take a long time for you to recover without knowing why. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

It was really worrying but now I'm good again! It was just a resilient flu and the added stress of the move and stuff didn't help it in any way. But I'm good now! :smile2:

On 16.9.2017 at 8:44 PM, Alexander the Great said:

This sounds like a great way to meet some new people! I'm on a Dutch Harry Potter Forum, which isn't very active any more for obvious reasons. But back in the heyday, there was a tight group of members. They'd have meets too, but those were always in The Netherlands and I was a teenager, so I never got to go, sadly.

It's so sad that forums aren't as active as they used to be :(  I think forums are so much better than all the social media stuff!  I'm glad this place hasn't gone anywhere. 

I've had an exciting day! :smile2: I saw my cousin  because we needed to do some stuff together and then I asked him if he'd take me to Ikea some day (soon preferably) as I wanted bookcases. He has a van so that would make it easy. The home delivery would've cost 89 euros... Anyhow, when we'd finished our business, he said why don't we go now. I was thrilled!!! 

On our way we stopped at a shop that was near Ikea because cousin needed to find a lamp for his work. I bought a reading lamp and also found a ladder I needed to buy. How convenient! Then we went to Ikea and I bought ... three.... Billy bookcases :D  I was first thinking I'd buy a whole other bookcase whose name I can't remember but when I saw it at the store I thought it looked too dark and I realized I need a white bookcase. I thought about buying two but then I thought I would probably need three, and why not get them all now, when there's a van to be used. Then I started thinking I need to buy a table, too, and while we're here, I might take a look at those, too. I found one I liked! I then stumbled upon an office chair that I instantly fell in love with and had to get it as well (I do need one). At that point my cousin found some stuff he needed for work, so I'm very happy that the trip to Ikea was useful for him, too! I then also bought a set of plates that I've been needing and coveting. 

We came to my place and hauled all the stuff in, and then cousin put up the lamps that have needed being put up. I now have lights in the living room and kitchen!! :D  

It was 8 PM by the time we were finished, so cousin had a long day (it all happened after his day at work). I'd treated him to a meal at Ikea and then I gave him some money for all the trouble. 

I'm just so happy that I now have my bookcases, that I really needed and wanted, and now I also have a table and a chair! And lights!! And it's all the more important because this apartment feels like my first own one. It's not a student apartment, I don't have roommates, and it's not furnished by a landlord. It's my own apartment and now I have my own furniture that I've bought with my own money. I'm so happy and proud! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Since I got rid of literally hundreds of books I only use about three quarters of one Billy. At my peak I had 4 Billies and 1 other model of bookcase absolutely packed with books. 

Occasionally I do regret getting rid of them all. 

12 hours ago, frankie said:

I hate it when things escalate sometimes :(  But I also hate it when forums go quiet :(   I think the social media and all those other platforms are taking away from forums :(

I agree, and it's a shame :(. I much prefer to discuss things on a forum!

I could have, but I would've felt awful about it because I've already been on sick leave for so long, previously, after my three week summer holiday :(  However, I didn't need to get an extension as I started feeling better on Saturday! I went to work this week and I've been just fine. I'm so happy to be myself again! :D 

I'm glad you're feeling better :)!

You should write it down on your Bujo so you could celebrate the day! :)  Or are you perhaps all partied out after December :D

That's an excellent idea :D!

It's so sad that forums aren't as active as they used to be :(  I think forums are so much better than all the social media stuff!  I'm glad this place hasn't gone anywhere. 

Me too, I'm very glad we still have this place :friends3:.

12 hours ago, frankie said:

I've had an exciting day! :smile2: I saw my cousin  because we needed to do some stuff together and then I asked him if he'd take me to Ikea some day (soon preferably) as I wanted bookcases. He has a van so that would make it easy. The home delivery would've cost 89 euros... Anyhow, when we'd finished our business, he said why don't we go now. I was thrilled!!! 

On our way we stopped at a shop that was near Ikea because cousin needed to find a lamp for his work. I bought a reading lamp and also found a ladder I needed to buy. How convenient! Then we went to Ikea and I bought ... three.... Billy bookcases :D  I was first thinking I'd buy a whole other bookcase whose name I can't remember but when I saw it at the store I thought it looked too dark and I realized I need a white bookcase. I thought about buying two but then I thought I would probably need three, and why not get them all now, when there's a van to be used. Then I started thinking I need to buy a table, too, and while we're here, I might take a look at those, too. I found one I liked! I then stumbled upon an office chair that I instantly fell in love with and had to get it as well (I do need one). At that point my cousin found some stuff he needed for work, so I'm very happy that the trip to Ikea was useful for him, too! I then also bought a set of plates that I've been needing and coveting. 

We came to my place and hauled all the stuff in, and then cousin put up the lamps that have needed being put up. I now have lights in the living room and kitchen!! :D  

It was 8 PM by the time we were finished, so cousin had a long day (it all happened after his day at work). I'd treated him to a meal at Ikea and then I gave him some money for all the trouble. 

I'm just so happy that I now have my bookcases, that I really needed and wanted, and now I also have a table and a chair! And lights!! And it's all the more important because this apartment feels like my first own one. It's not a student apartment, I don't have roommates, and it's not furnished by a landlord. It's my own apartment and now I have my own furniture that I've bought with my own money. I'm so happy and proud! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Aaaaaaahhhh this sounds like an amazing trip, I'm happy you bought lots of nice things and are happy :smile2:!!

18 hours ago, Brian. said:

Since I got rid of literally hundreds of books I only use about three quarters of one Billy. At my peak I had 4 Billies and 1 other model of bookcase absolutely packed with books. 

Occasionally I do regret getting rid of them all. 

From 5 full bookcases to one three quarters' full Billy? Yikes!! That's culling in the real sense of the word!

9 hours ago, Athena said:

I agree, and it's a shame :(. I much prefer to discuss things on a forum!

Totally! Social media is so much about me-me comments, a forum is more full depth conversations. 

Me too, I'm very glad we still have this place :friends3:.

What would we do if this place wasn't here? :unsure: 

Aaaaaaahhhh this sounds like an amazing trip, I'm happy you bought lots of nice things and are happy :smile2:!!

It was so amazing indeed! Getting it all in one go! Initially I thought I'll get the bookcases and that's it, because I didn't think I could pick a table without carefully assessing my needs and the tables that were available. But it all came together nicely :D

I woke up feeling so happy! :wub:  The sun was shining and I knew my books don't have to stay in the boxes for long! It's been so disheartening watching the boxes of books just sit there on the floor. 

This is the first time in three years that I have my own bookcases again! It's an amazing feeling to be able to choose where to put the bookcase (where previously it was dictated by landlords) and I can choose how many bookcases I want and need, because I have space! I have so much space it's ridiculous :D I feel so lucky. I almost feel guilty for having so much space! :unsure:

I put up the first Billy just now! It took me 65 minutes :smile2: It wasn't hard at all to do it alone! But I don't think I would have had the reassurance I could do it on my own had I not put one up with Kylie and known how it worked. 

The room looks so much nicer now that there's a bookcase!! :wub:  I'll leave the others for tomorrow, I need to get some dinner and then I want to just relax on the sofa. My sofa!! :smile2:

I prefer forums to social media as well, because forums allow for conversation more than social media does. I feel like on a forum, you can talk about so much - obviously the topic the forum was built for, but other things as well. On social media, it takes either a picture or a special announcement to start a conversation, which even then is usually nothing more than likes and the occasional short comment. Or if you post something that is out of the ordinary.

But on social media, I really can't talk about books or sports the way I can here. These are real discussions and I wouldn't want to miss them.

I'm a Billy-less book lover! They just don't fit in my room and I really like the smaller cubes I have because I can play around with them, and they can be put in the middle of a room and then have books on both ends.

Show us a picture of the bookcase(s) when they're set up and filled, @frankie (if you want to) :D 

15 hours ago, frankie said:

Totally! Social media is so much about me-me comments, a forum is more full depth conversations. 

That's true! I'm not a huge fan of most social media to be honest, and only use them now and then. YouTube is the only one I use on a daily basis (watching videos other people upload). I do read book blogs, but I don't often comment on them. The forum is the only place I really type out long posts (and feel comfortable doing so).

What would we do if this place wasn't here? :unsure: 

I'm not sure :( I would be very sad if that was the case. I don't consider things like FaceBook a good way to have long (book) discussions with people, not at all. I do watch YouTube videos, but I only comment on a few of them, and the same for book blogs. The forum really is the best place, and I'll try my best to make sure it keeps existing.

It was so amazing indeed! Getting it all in one go! Initially I thought I'll get the bookcases and that's it, because I didn't think I could pick a table without carefully assessing my needs and the tables that were available. But it all came together nicely :D

I woke up feeling so happy! :wub:  The sun was shining and I knew my books don't have to stay in the boxes for long! It's been so disheartening watching the boxes of books just sit there on the floor. 

This is the first time in three years that I have my own bookcases again! It's an amazing feeling to be able to choose where to put the bookcase (where previously it was dictated by landlords) and I can choose how many bookcases I want and need, because I have space! I have so much space it's ridiculous :D I feel so lucky. I almost feel guilty for having so much space! :unsure:

I'm so happy you're enjoying your new place :D!

I put up the first Billy just now! It took me 65 minutes :smile2: It wasn't hard at all to do it alone! But I don't think I would have had the reassurance I could do it on my own had I not put one up with Kylie and known how it worked. 

Wow, that is pretty quick on your own! Well done :smile2:!!

35 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

I prefer forums to social media as well, because forums allow for conversation more than social media does. I feel like on a forum, you can talk about so much - obviously the topic the forum was built for, but other things as well. On social media, it takes either a picture or a special announcement to start a conversation, which even then is usually nothing more than likes and the occasional short comment. Or if you post something that is out of the ordinary.

But on social media, I really can't talk about books or sports the way I can here. These are real discussions and I wouldn't want to miss them.

Very true, I agree with this.

35 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

Show us a picture of the bookcase(s) when they're set up and filled, @frankie (if you want to) :D 

I'd like to see a picture too, but I also understand if you don't feel comfortable with that :).

I agree too, a dedicated forum is so much better for discussing and "chatting", and there's so much inane stuff to get through on Facebook, of the "here I am in Costa" type of post - I don't care if you're in Costa or have just been to the hairdresser!

Can only agree about forums being much better than other forms of social media for in-depth conversation and discussion.  I don't really do Facebook, having never got my head around how it works - always seems a real mess, I can never track anything in order, and the privacy systems seem hopelessly complicated and open to messing up.  I do use Twitter, but only for posting and communicating about my bird-watching - it's really good for keeping tabs on what's happening and what's being seen/photoed etc. 

Forums (fora?!) do seem to be struggling a bit at the moment.  I belong to one - book based - which used to be very active, but now seems to have whittled down to only half a dozen or so, most of whom seem to post more on the equivalent Facebook page with not much about books.  So glad this is going as well as it is - but do notice one or two previous regulars seem not have posted much in the past months.  There's some names on the second page I'd never have expected to see there a year or so ago.  Hope it's only a summer lull in their reading.

Yes I think we're both on that forum you mentioned Will!  It has got quiet lately but is still limping along, and is one of the reasons why I'm glad I found this forum as it's much busier.  I suppose some dropping off is inevitable, life gets in the way etc; I think one of the issues with our other forum is that it's now closed to new members, which means that inevitably it might stagnate a bit, and it keeps getting hopelessly spammed as there are no longer any mods to weed out spammers.

43 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

I think one of the issues with our other forum is that it's now closed to new members, which means that inevitably it might stagnate a bit, and it keeps getting hopelessly spammed as there are no longer any mods to weed out spammers.

That would explain - I didn't realise it was closed to new members.  A pity, as it was a lovely forum, not dissimilar to this one in terms of friendliness and atmosphere.  I also remember meeting a whole bunch at a weekend away in Ilkley, near where I live - it was good to get to know people for real. (BTW, I loved the LibraryThing Challenge, which also still just about survives - might be worth introducing to people here, and seeing if there's any interest?).

Edited by willoyd

Yes I like the LT Challenge too, and was thinking the same thing ie wondering if anyone on here would like to join in (even though I don't think I've read one challenge this year!).  Unfortunately the other forum now has more spam messages than anything else on it now, wonder how they get through when it's a closed forum?  It is still going though, just about, so do pop by if you feel like it!

6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Yes I like the LT Challenge too, and was thinking the same thing ie wondering if anyone on here would like to join in (even though I don't think I've read one challenge this year!). 

I'll post on it in a week or two to give time for people to think on it.  On this year's challenge, I'm just on halfway through this year's books (including ones I challenged others with), and have managed to whittle my backlist down a few as well.

6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Unfortunately the other forum now has more spam messages than anything else on it now, wonder how they get through when it's a closed forum?  It is still going though, just about, so do pop by if you feel like it!

I do fairly regularly, even if I don't post very much.  I try to keep my lists up to date, if nothing else.

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys for being AWOL for over a month! :o I managed to catch a nasty cough, and then there was a huge mix up with my pay check because of my long sick leave (long story short: they paid me half my salary and said I wasn't going to get the rest because of x and y, and I had to look into it and then complain about their decision and write an appeal to get the rest which I was most definitely due. I was so stressed when I didn't know if I was going to get my full wages!! :hissyfit:   So incredibly stressing! But it got sorted), and then I've been otherwise busy. It's almost weird to write in here now, in English. Dear oh dear! 

I hope everyone's been doing well! :flowers2:

On 24.9.2017 at 10:20 AM, Alexander the Great said:

We were discussing social media today with the people from another book forum and there were a few people who said that a forum IS  a form of social media. Why would it not be. I'd never really thought of it. And then someone said how someone had said that forums are outdated, but then they'd argued that no they are not, because nothing's come to replace them as such. Facebook isn't the same at all. Interesting! 

I get more and more tired of Facebook every day. I've been thinking about getting rid of my account, but then there are some people with whom I talk rather regularly on there. People who I don't talk to on any other medium. :(

On 24.9.2017 at 10:20 AM, Alexander the Great said:

Oh I will! :smile2: The thing is, it's been set up some weeks ago but I'm not 100% happy with how it turned out. I need to rearrange a few shelves. Also, I've acquired a whole lot of books since I've arranged the bookcases and shelves :blush:

On 16.9.2017 at 12:56 AM, frankie said:

On another note... I've been a member on another online book club for about the same time as I've been on here. It's a Finnish forum and there aren't that many regular members. I'm not there very regularly, I pop in every now and then. Anyways, they have an annual meeting in the fall and I've always wanted to go and meet new bookish people, but I used to live so far away. When I moved to south, I was closer but I've either chickened out or had something else to do. This year, though, the date they settled on works for me and I'm definitely going to go. I don't know any of them personally, so I'm rather nervous, but I'm excited about meeting people who read books etc.! :)  

This happened today! I haven't had much time to be nervous about the whole thing beforehand, and this morning I was more nervous about getting into a bus on time :D  I was traveling to another city and had to remember to actually pay for the trip and not just show my travel card. It was also a route I've never taken before. 

Anyhow, I was the first to arrive which I liked because I got to meet people in small groups and didn't just turn up in a roomful of people. Actually, I was the first to arrive and even the host came after me :D She was in the shop and said to me on the phone that she'd be there in 10 minutes. 

There were 6 other women who have met each other many times throughout the years, this was the 12th annual meeting of the forum. Some of them were friends from uni and stuff like that. Half of them had cats and all of them had children and they all worked in the public sector or something. I felt quite out of place, being a dog lover and not having children and being 'only' a personal helper :unsure:   They were really friendly and welcoming, but of course it's a bit tricky for a shy introvert like me to just jump in and try and get acquainted. The host had three cats who were so gorgeous!! :wub:  One of them took a liking to me, and he would purr and then he would lick my hand as if he was a dog, when I was petting him :D He also tried to bite my watch. I said a firm no to that! :D  What a lovely sand paper tongue he had :wub:  

I could only stay for 4 hours because of my allergies. I think the rest of them are still there, having fun :D There was talk about doing something together, in the city, at some point (because not all can come to the annual meetings because of the cats). 

I have to say, I'm quite proud of myself for going and not chickening out! :smile2: 

What with finally having my own bookcases and space for books, and wanting to relieve some stress by doing a bit of book shopping at secondhand bookshops and charityshops, and going to the annual book fair, I've somehow managed to acquire the following books this month. 

From a flea market in my part of town (I managed to visit once, only to find out it was closing down :(

Julie & Julia by Julie Powell (I loved the movie!) 

Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness by Jon Kabat-Zinn 

Juoksuhaudantie by Kari Hotakainen (A Finnish author I'm curious about)

From Salvation Army

39. A History of British Serial Killing by David Wilson 

40. Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman

From a book swap bookcase

41. Little Friend by Donna Tartt 

For NaNoWrimo :blush:

42. Ready, Set, Novel! 

From a sale

43. Pitkät päiväunet by Katariina Romppainen 

From a sale 

44. HHhH by Laurent Binet 

From a Red Cross charity shop 

46. I Feel Bad About My Neck and Other Thoughts On Being a Woman by Nora Ephron (for the Rory Gilmore reading challenge)

47. French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano 

49. Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay 

50. We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee 

From a recycling center

45. Past Mortem by Ben Elton
48. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway 

51. Varaudu pahimpaan by Petteri Nuottimäki

52. Tulkki by Inna Patrakova 

53. Gold by Dan Rhodes ('Only' a Finnish copy but still, Gold!! :smile2: )

From the Book Fair

54. Maailman kaunein tyttö by Aino Kivi (free from Book Fair)

55. Dog On It by Spencer Quinn 

56. Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman 

57. Kun kyyhkyset katosivat by Sofi Oksanen 

58. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

59. Wild Mind. Living the Writer's Life by Natalie Goldberg (This was my favorite find at the Book Fair!)

60. Jääräpää by Mikko-Pekka Heikkinen

61. The Mitford Girls by Mary S. Lovell 

62. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell 

63. Nöyryytys by Juhani Mattila 

64. J. D. Salinger. A Life Raised High by Kenneth Slawenski

65. Samantekevää by Janne Teller 

66. The Death of Bees by Lisa O'Donnell 

I was going to buy a ticket for the whole weekend but I never had the time, and I went there on Thursday as Boss gave me her ticket and told me to go to get her a few things. I wouldn't have had the time to go there yesterday or today. I could go tomorrow but I think I shouldn't :D  All the authors I wanted to see were there on Friday or Saturday so maybe I'll be lazy tomorrow. I've bought 33 books this month! That's at least one shelf worth of books. 

28. Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter 

From AmazonMore than twenty years ago, Claire and Lydia’s teenaged sister Julia vanished without a trace. The two women have not spoken since, and now their lives could not be more different. Claire is the glamorous trophy wife of an Atlanta millionaire. Lydia, a single mother, dates an ex-con and struggles to make ends meet. But neither has recovered from the horror and heartbreak of their shared loss—a devastating wound that's cruelly ripped open when Claire's husband is killed.

The disappearance of a teenage girl and the murder of a middle-aged man, almost a quarter-century apart: what could connect them? Forming a wary truce, the surviving sisters look to the past to find the truth, unearthing the secrets that destroyed their family all those years ago . . . and uncovering the possibility of redemption, and revenge, where they least expect it.

Thoughts: I wanted to read this based on Chrissy's review on the book! :) 

First I want to say that it's been a 2-3 months since I read the book, and so I don't remember all the details. Chrissy said it was the most graphic thriller she's read (or something along those lines) and I do agree, there was a lot of graphic violence. I don't think Slaughter's gone so far in the previous books I've read by her... But I'm no stranger to graphic violence in books. I think Poppy Z. Brite's book was the most graphic thing I've read. I can't remember the title of that. 

I digress... maybe that's because I don't remember much from this book and so I'm filling some space with some good old waffling :D

This is the first stand alone novel I've read by Slaughter and I think I did expect a bit more from her, to be honest. I've loved her Grant County series and this book didn't quite fulfil my expectations. It was suspenseful and shocking at times, but I think I expected a few more twists and turns. But it was not a bad book in any case, I did enjoy reading it! :)  And I would definitely read more of her stand alones, too. 

3/5

56 minutes ago, frankie said:

Sorry guys for being AWOL for over a month! :o I managed to catch a nasty cough, and then there was a huge mix up with my pay check because of my long sick leave (long story short: they paid me half my salary and said I wasn't going to get the rest because of x and y, and I had to look into it and then complain about their decision and write an appeal to get the rest which I was most definitely due. I was so stressed when I didn't know if I was going to get my full wages!! :hissyfit:   So incredibly stressing! But it got sorted), and then I've been otherwise busy. It's almost weird to write in here now, in English. Dear oh dear! 

Yikes, that sounds like such a stressful situation! I'm glad you got it sorted!

47 minutes ago, frankie said:

I have to say, I'm quite proud of myself for going and not chickening out! :smile2: 

Well done! I'm glad you had a lot of fun :)!

8 minutes ago, frankie said:

What with finally having my own bookcases and space for books, and wanting to relieve some stress by doing a bit of book shopping at secondhand bookshops and charityshops, and going to the annual book fair, I've somehow managed to acquire the following books this month.

Wow, you bought a lot of books :D!

I also quite liked the Julia & Julia movie and bought the book because of it (when I saw it at a book fair), but I haven't read the book yet.

I wish you lots of happy reading with all your new books :)!

Just now, Athena said:

Yikes, that sounds like such a stressful situation! I'm glad you got it sorted!

It was so stressing! My salary isn't all that great to begin with, and it took them 5 long weeks to come to their decision which was faulty and then I had to correct them. 5 weeks I was waiting for the rest of my salary and then I got a letter saying I wasn't going to get it! Fortunately when I wrote back to them and complained, they came to their 'new decision' very quickly and I got the rest of my salary the next week. 

I've also gotten my deposit back from the previous apartment and everything's now in order and there's nothing more to do on that front or on any other front. I can finally relax in my new apartment, knowing that everything's been sorted out now!! :smile2:

Just now, Athena said:

Wow, you bought a lot of books :D!

Oh yeah :D:D  But I feel like I can, now that I have the space :blush:  But I need to stop buying more now :D  I've splurged, but it's time to de-splurge :D

Just now, Athena said:

I also quite liked the Julia & Julia movie and bought the book because of it (when I saw it at a book fair), but I haven't read the book yet.

Meryl Streep is one of my favorite actors :wub: I also like Amy Adams. I'm not all too sure I'll like the book, because I'm not personally all that interested in reading about cooking... :unsure: But it was a cheap book and I thought why not. :D I hope we shall enjoy it! 

Just now, Athena said:

I wish you lots of happy reading with all your new books :)!

Thanks! :smile2:

29. I Saw a Man by Owen Sheers 

Blurb: After the sudden loss of his wife, Michael Turner moves to London to start again. Living on a quiet street in Hampstead, he developes a close bond with the Nelson family next door: Josh, Samantha and their two young daughters. 

The friendship at first seems to offer the prospect of healing, but then a devastating event changes all their lives, and Michael finds himself bearing the burden of grief and a terrible secret. 

Thoughts: I bought this on a whim with my Birthday voucher last year. I liked the sound of the blurb and somehow thought this would be a good thriller!

I would have thought this was the author's first novel because it felt like he was trying too hard with his words and his idioms and phrases. It didn't quite flow, in my humble opinion. 

As for the story itself, I found it interesting in the beginning, but then it went on a tangent I wasn't all that keen on, and the other tangent that I knew was coming, even though I didn't know the shape of it, was something I felt was too far fetched. It felt like a mosaic of a book. The author put two far fetched things together, the other one being not that interesting, and then the reader had to deal with the aftermath. I didn't like it. The book left an odd, dark, unsettling aftertaste. 

2/5