Frankie reads 2017

frankie

27. Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay

Book jacket: When a young girl is killed by a drunk driver, the community of Promise Falls wants answers. 

It doesn't matter that the accused is a kid himself: all they see is that he took a life and got an easy sentence. As pack mentality kicks in and social media outrage builds, vicious threats are made against the boy and his family. 

When private investigator Cal Weaver is called in, he finds himself caught up in a cold-blooded revenge plot. Someone in the town is threatening to put right some wrongs... 

And in Cal's experience, it's only ever a matter of time before threats turn into action. 

Thoughts: I thought The Twenty Three was Barclay's last book on his series of the Promise Falls folks, and that I'd never get to see any of the characters of his previous novels again. I'd already said a very sad goodbye! So how happy was I when I was checking out the new books at the library and found this new novel! :smile2: It features our old friends Cal Weaver and Barry Duckworth, and some others make cameos as well. 

I won't say anything that I haven't already said before: another great thriller by Barclay. He gets me sucked in right from the start and doesn't let go. This wasn't my most favorite by him, but all the same I really really liked it. 

4/5

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

For about two years now I've lived in this apartment, which I first rented for about 10 months, and then the lease was renewered for x months, and then it was renewed again. Knowing that I can't live in this apartment for more than x months at a time, it's become really stressing. It's not easy to find an affordable apartment here in the capital. Also, I've gotten the sense that my landlord might be moving back soon, so I've been anxious to find a new place. An unfurnished place, where I could have my own things, and my own things only. 

This week I got an apartment offer from the city! They have such a long waiting list, that I wasn't ever expecting to get an offer from them, ever :D   I went to check out the apartment today, and it's really, really nice! It has two rooms so it's bigger than I was hoping for, and the rent is actually a few euros cheaper than my current one! :D  I'll also have a balcony again... The place is further away from downtown, but I don't mind. There are plenty of busses making stops close to my building and that's all that matters. Easily accessible! My commute will be about the same as before (although if I wanted, I could start riding my bike to work and back... It's a doable distance!). 

I'm so relieved and happy and excited!! :exc:     As it's a city's apartment, I don't even have to put down a deposit on it. The only thing that needs some thinking is that I don't have any furniture of my own, apart from a bean bag and a chair  and a matress to sleep on :D   But those will do!! I think the first thing I will have to buy is a bookcase!! That's more important. :lol::lol: 

I will be moving in two weeks, so I'm going to be busy packing and getting everything organized. Because of this, I've taken most of my library loans back to the library, I don't have time to read all of the books now :(   (I'll also have to choose another 'home library' for myself! I'll have to see which library is closest to me, living in my new apartment. I'm pretty sure it'll be one I've never been to before.)

Update!

Borrowed books

1. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan   4/5  

2.  My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella   4/5 

3. Sopivasti sekaisin by Veera Vaahtera 3/5 

4. Talking as Fast as I Can: from Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between) by Lauren Graham 4/5

5. Columbine by Dave Cullen  4/5

6. Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay 4/5

7. Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter  3/5

- Irti sosiaalisesta jännittämisestä by a bunch of people

- Furiously Happy: a Funny Book about Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

- Hengitys itsesäätelyn ja vuorovaikutuksen tukena 

- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Reserved books      

- Tällä tavalla maailma loppuu by Philip Teir 

- Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

- Tunne lukkosi: vapaudu tunteiden vallasta by Kimmo Takanen 

Edited by frankie

How exciting you're going to have a new apartment :D! It sounds great :exc:! I personally prefer to commute a bit longer if it gives me a nicer place to live :). A book case is definitely a must :yes: (I mean, in my bookwurm mind). What kind of book case would you like to have (ie. what design and colour etc)? Or will it stress you out to think about that, if so, you don't have to answer :friends3:. I don't mean to make you feel stressed. I thought it was a nice 'book wurm -ish' question. 

Good luck packing and getting everything organised. It's a hassle, but it will be great for you to have your own place and not have to worry about leaving again soon.

It's a shame about the library loans :(, but it makes sense you'll be too busy to read them. I hope your new 'home library' will be an awesome one :). I am amazed by how many libraries Finland has, it's so nice!

5 minutes ago, Athena said:

How exciting you're going to have a new apartment :D! It sounds great :exc:! I personally prefer to commute a bit longer if it gives me a nicer place to live :). A book case is definitely a must :yes: (I mean, in my bookwurm mind). What kind of book case would you like to have (ie. what design and colour etc)? Or will it stress you out to think about that, if so, you don't have to answer :friends3:. I don't mean to make you feel stressed. I thought it was a nice 'book wurm -ish' question. 

So exciting and so amazing and every nice thing in the world! :lol:  As for the bookcase, I haven't looked around a lot. I'd like one with glass doors so I wouldn't have to do as much dusting, but those are more pricey :(   I think I'll most likely go to Ikea and get two Billy Bookcases :yes: I'll probably get the most basic Billy bookcase, in white. I do kind of fancy the black ones, but I'm not sure. In a way this is my first real actual adult home, in that I don't have roommates and it's my first non-student housing apartment as well. So in a way I'd like to make it really nice, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on furniture. 

And your question was a very valid and important one, and not stressing at all! :friends3:  I definitely don't mind thinking about my new apartment!! :D 

Good luck packing and getting everything organised. It's a hassle, but it will be great for you to have your own place and not have to worry about leaving again soon.

It'll be a hassle, but I saved all the cardboard boxes from my move to this apartment, so that's good. I'm actually looking forward to the whole thing, because I can look through my stuff and reassess what I really need and want and what I can part with. A bit of Konmari :D  I love it that the new apartment is so big, and that it's completely empty! All of my things will have their own places there. I don't have to keep my own microwave oven in the closet because I'm using landlords microwave and thus there's no room for my own to be used. 

It's a shame about the library loans :(, but it makes sense you'll be too busy to read them. I hope your new 'home library' will be an awesome one :). I am amazed by how many libraries Finland has, it's so nice!

I'm definitely looking forward to going to my new home library! Whichever it will be in the end :D   I'll have to base my decision on which one is the closest, but also which has the best opening hours. 

I was sad to part with the library books, but I can borrow them later again. 

I will also have to do a bit of culling re: my own books... I'm scared about that! :D

2 minutes ago, frankie said:

So exciting and so amazing and every nice thing in the world! :lol:  As for the bookcase, I haven't looked around a lot. I'd like one with glass doors so I wouldn't have to do as much dusting, but those are more pricey :(   I think I'll most likely go to Ikea and get two Billy Bookcases :yes: I'll probably get the most basic Billy bookcase, in white. I do kind of fancy the black ones, but I'm not sure. In a way this is my first real actual adult home, in that I don't have roommates and it's my first non-student housing apartment as well. So in a way I'd like to make it really nice, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on furniture. 

That makes sense, furniture can be quite expensive (the glass doors sound nice). I quite like the Billy bookcases myself too :).

And your question was a very valid and important one, and not stressing at all! :friends3:  I definitely don't mind thinking about my new apartment!! :D

I'm glad to hear it :friends3:.

It'll be a hassle, but I saved all the cardboard boxes from my move to this apartment, so that's good. I'm actually looking forward to the whole thing, because I can look through my stuff and reassess what I really need and want and what I can part with. A bit of Konmari :D  I love it that the new apartment is so big, and that it's completely empty! All of my things will have their own places there. I don't have to keep my own microwave oven in the closet because I'm using landlords microwave and thus there's no room for my own to be used. 

How nice you saved those boxes! I've got some boxes saved too, they came in handy when my brother needed some boxes to move stuff. That's true, it will be good to re-access what you have and what you want to part with! It's so nice your things will have their own place :).

I'm definitely looking forward to going to my new home library! Whichever it will be in the end :D   I'll have to base my decision on which one is the closest, but also which has the best opening hours. 

That makes sense, I hope you find a great one :).

I was sad to part with the library books, but I can borrow them later again. 

Yeah that makes sense :(. Can you borrow them even though they come from another library that is not your new 'home library'? Here you can borrow from a few libraries in the area, it just takes the home library a bit of time to get the loan in to them. But it's free.

I will also have to do a bit of culling re: my own books... I'm scared about that! :D

That makes sense, it's always scary to do that! Maybe you'll find some books that you didn't like or are no longer interested in, and can keep all your favourites and the ones you're really excited about :).

It's great to see you're so excited about the move! I can imagine it must give many sleepless nights, never being entirely sure how much longer you can stay in your apartment. 

It's going to be awesome organising everything exactly the way you want it!

On 11.8.2017 at 6:06 PM, Athena said:

How nice you saved those boxes! I've got some boxes saved too, they came in handy when my brother needed some boxes to move stuff. That's true, it will be good to re-access what you have and what you want to part with! It's so nice your things will have their own place :).

I guess I knew in some way that I would be moving out sooner than later and felt like I needed to hang on to the boxes. Which is maybe a bit silly because I could've gotten rid of them and just get new ones when a move was evident. You can get banana boxes from pretty much any grocerystore there is, they're only too happy to get rid of them. Banana boxes are really useful, and popular over here in moving :D

On 11.8.2017 at 6:06 PM, Athena said:

Yeah that makes sense :(. Can you borrow them even though they come from another library that is not your new 'home library'? Here you can borrow from a few libraries in the area, it just takes the home library a bit of time to get the loan in to them. But it's free.

Yeah, I'll be able to reserve copies of them later on. By 'home library' I mean the library where all my reserved copies will arrive and from which I can collect them (unless otherwise specified). I'm able to use any of the 39 libraries/mobile libraries in Helsinki, as well as the 30 libraries/mobile libraries in the cities of Kauniainen, Vantaa and Espoo (= Helsinki Metropolitan area). 

On 11.8.2017 at 10:52 PM, Alexander the Great said:

It's great to see you're so excited about the move! I can imagine it must give many sleepless nights, never being entirely sure how much longer you can stay in your apartment. 

Totally! And it's been giving me a few not-been-able-to-go-to-sleep nights, now that I know I'm going to move. I've been so excited :D 

My joy's been a bit dampened by the fact that I'm still ill. My ear's still infected and it's blocked, and it's so annoying. I went to see the doctor yesterday and she ordered an x-ray of frontal and maxillary sinuses to see if there's further damage. I'm tired and unable to go to work. I'm so sick of being sick. I'm so bored!! I want to start organizing my things and packing stuff! *rant*  (I have done a tiny bit of packing but it was only a few light items and really nothing much. There's so much to be done!)

:D That is good advice!  I have been writing things down in my BuJo, so I will remember all the things I need to do. But yes, I could plan it in my head from start to finish and then it's only about carrying the plan through! :yes:

And I should quit getting anxious about it and go read a book instead :D

20 hours ago, frankie said:

I guess I knew in some way that I would be moving out sooner than later and felt like I needed to hang on to the boxes. Which is maybe a bit silly because I could've gotten rid of them and just get new ones when a move was evident. You can get banana boxes from pretty much any grocerystore there is, they're only too happy to get rid of them. Banana boxes are really useful, and popular over here in moving :D

Banana boxes are definitely useful! I have to admit, I haven't seen them as much around here (in the supermarket), as I used to.

Yeah, I'll be able to reserve copies of them later on. By 'home library' I mean the library where all my reserved copies will arrive and from which I can collect them (unless otherwise specified). I'm able to use any of the 39 libraries/mobile libraries in Helsinki, as well as the 30 libraries/mobile libraries in the cities of Kauniainen, Vantaa and Espoo (= Helsinki Metropolitan area). 

Wow, that's awesome :).

My joy's been a bit dampened by the fact that I'm still ill. My ear's still infected and it's blocked, and it's so annoying. I went to see the doctor yesterday and she ordered an x-ray of frontal and maxillary sinuses to see if there's further damage. I'm tired and unable to go to work. I'm so sick of being sick. I'm so bored!! I want to start organizing my things and packing stuff! *rant*  (I have done a tiny bit of packing but it was only a few light items and really nothing much. There's so much to be done!)

I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

10 hours ago, Athena said:

Banana boxes are definitely useful! I have to admit, I haven't seen them as much around here (in the supermarket), as I used to.

Haa, you guys use banana boxes as well! :D   So interesting to find out these little things about other countries! :D Long live the Banana Box! :lol:

10 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

Thanks Athena! :flowers2:     I got a call from the doctor today, saying I needed to go and get an 'antral lavage' performed upon my good self. Such a weird word, I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly. I've had the procedure done to me once before so I knew what was going to happen. It's not much fun!! But maybe it will help. It should help. I'm also getting antibiotics, again. I'm so tired of this!  During the procedure I started actually crying a bit :unsure: The doctor &co. were really nice though. They were worried I was crying because they'd hurt me but I said I was fine, I'm just tired of this whole thing. Very nice and sympathetic doctors. 

16 hours ago, frankie said:

Haa, you guys use banana boxes as well! :D   So interesting to find out these little things about other countries! :D Long live the Banana Box! :lol:

I love finding out things like that :D!

16 hours ago, frankie said:

Thanks Athena! :flowers2:     I got a call from the doctor today, saying I needed to go and get an 'antral lavage' performed upon my good self. Such a weird word, I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly. I've had the procedure done to me once before so I knew what was going to happen. It's not much fun!! But maybe it will help. It should help. I'm also getting antibiotics, again. I'm so tired of this!  During the procedure I started actually crying a bit :unsure: The doctor &co. were really nice though. They were worried I was crying because they'd hurt me but I said I was fine, I'm just tired of this whole thing. Very nice and sympathetic doctors. 

I hope you will feel better soon :(. It makes sense you are tired of being sick! I'm glad you have nice doctors. :hug:

I went to work this week but it was probably a mistake, I feel very tired and not better. My lease on the apartment started today and I went and got the keys in the morning :smile2: That cheered me up!  I need to rest now, I need to get better. I'm supposed to move on Sunday, so I need all my wits about me. 

Edit: I forgot to mention the dog I met today! I was on my way to work, when I saw this dog with it's owner. The dog was sitting on a bench, facing me, and I thought, that's a gorgeous one!! He was black and white, but what was so remarkable was how his head was split in half by color: the right side of his head was white, and the left side was black, but on the right side, he had a black eyebrow!! Such a distinctive coloring on him! When I came closer by, he turned around and turned his back on me :(   That made me sad! But then I couldn't help but say to the owner that she has a beautiful dog, and as soon as I spoke to her, the dog turned around to look at me and jumped down from the bench and came to meet me! :smile2: I got to pet him, and he was so friendly and smiley and happy! :smile2: The owner said he was a good boy, didn't bark at the lady dogs or anything, and that when he was young, he was going to be put down and the woman rescued him (we didn't talk long enough for me to know if the dog had been abandoned or where the woman had rescued him from). Who could kill a doggy :(   I asked what breed he was, because it was obvious he was no regular dog. It was a Samoyed, Bernese Mountain Dog and German Shepherd mix! Meeting him really made my day :smile2:  I think I've seen him once before, so maybe the woman lives close by to my work and I'll meet him again! 

Edited by frankie

Aw, what a lovely doggy story ! :)

I met a couple of dogs yesterday - A pitbull called Lola and a lurcher, both so friendly. Their owner was walking them and we had a chat outside my house ( and I told her to help herself to the mirabelles on our tree, which are ripe now, and which I don`t think I`ll be using this year. She was really happy ! ) 

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and comments! :smile2: I've been a bit busy with organizing things and stuff. Yesterday I went to the apartment to turn on the fridge but there was no electricity :D I thought there would be and I could make the contract later on and pay them back, so to speak, but nope. I signed a contract yesterday but I won't have electricity until Monday:D At first I thought I would just have to come back to my old apartment and spend one extra night here, but then I thought, do I really need electricity for one day + night... No!! It'll be an adventure :D  

Today is all about packing and tomorrow's the move. I'm excited but so tired! I also found a possible new tenant for landlord and the candidate will visit at 5 PM and I need to have some sort of order here at that point, so he can see the furniture :D

When I went to visit the apartment yesterday, I took some breakable there in my backpack, to ensure a safe move for them. Also carried a few books in another bag :D My book jar and a few paperbacks are there waiting for me in my bedroom!! 

kirjasto.jpg

Edited by frankie

Good luck with the move! I hope things will be okay without electricity! I like the picture of your books and book jar in the empty room :). The floor looks nice, I like wooden floors.

I wish you lots of fun living at your new apartment :smile2:!!