Frankie reads 2017

frankie

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2-7-2017 at 0:22 PM, frankie said:

I only have one week at work left, and then I'm off for the second part of my summer holidays. 3 weeks!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:     I'm BUZZING! :D    3 weeks of doing absolutely no work.  

I'm going to my hometown on Saturday and will stay there for almost a week. Initially I wanted to stay in Helsinki for a few days before heading out, just to cool off, but my cousin is only available during the weekends and if I want to see him, I'll have to be in Nurmes on a weekend. So I thought why not travel there the very first day of holidays and just get into a summer holiday mood by going out of town, and changing the scenery 100%.  I will be meeting my cousin's daughter for the second time and I'm really excited about that, I've only met her once, last Christmas. She's adorable :smile2: (And they have a dog who is so friendly and keen on visitors! :D   I can't wait to play ball!!!) 

I'm sure we'll go to the library and see what books they are selling :D And we'll go and check out the thrift shops for books, too. As it's my holiday, I'm allowed to buy books, I'll say! :D  

And then the most important thing: which books to take with me, to read! I'm wondering if I should just go with a library read and reduce the number of library books to be read, or go with a TBR book. Or maybe I should go with something that is a perfect holiday read, instead. Maybe the book of letters and diaries by two Finnish women, dating back to the 50s. I found that book one summer, maybe 4 years ago, and loved reading it, but never finished... I think that might set me in the holiday mood!   (I don't want to bring a really fancy, new book, so that I won't accidentally get it all ruffled up in my backpack.)

Oh boy :exc:    

Sounds like you have some great times ahead!

Personally, I like taking library books when I'm traveling. They're usually wrapped or protected somehow. I'm very autistic about the state of my books and taking one with me is always stressful. I usually end up putting my books in separate bags inside my bag and then I still feel meh about it. So, that's just my two cents ^^

On 3.7.2017 at 10:47 AM, Athena said:

I wish you awesome summer holidays :D!! It sounds like you have some great plans :).

On 3.7.2017 at 5:28 PM, Little Pixie said:

Ooh, your holiday plans sound great ! Have a wonderful time. :)

On 3.7.2017 at 7:25 PM, chesilbeach said:

Hope you enjoy your holiday frankie! 

Thanks gals! :smile2: I intend to enjoy my holidays to the fullest! :D 

21 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

Personally, I like taking library books when I'm traveling. They're usually wrapped or protected somehow. I'm very autistic about the state of my books and taking one with me is always stressful. I usually end up putting my books in separate bags inside my bag and then I still feel meh about it. So, that's just my two cents ^^

That makes sense :yes: Although personally I might worry about forgetting to pack the library book and leaving it behind accidentally, which would then become an issue of logistics :rolleyes: Thus one's own book would make more sense. 

On 29.6.2017 at 6:53 PM, frankie said:

UPDATED 4.7.

Borrowed books (2/16)

- The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan   4/5  

- My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella   4/5 

- Sopivasti sekaisin by Veera Vaahtera  

- Ajan kanssa: kesäni Marcel Proustin seurassa by Petteri Kantola

- Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanism, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh 

- Irti sosiaalisesta jännittämisestä by a bunch of people

- God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

- Talking as Fast as I Can: from Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between) by Lauren Graham 

- Furiously Happy: a Funny Book about Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

- The Dandelion Years by Erica James

- Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: a self-help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques by Gillian Butler 

- The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews

- The Real Liddy James by Anne-Marie Casey 

- Vapaaksi ahdistuksesta by Edmund J. Bourne

- Hengitys itsesäätelyn ja vuorovaikutuksen tukena by a bunch of people 

- Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay   

Reserved books (9)

- Daddy Cool: kolme vuosikymmentä televisiomaailman huipulla by Jorma Sairanen & Kalle Kinnunen

- Tällä tavalla maailma loppuu by Philip Teir 

- Kuka murhasi Roland Barthesin? by Laurent Binet

- Columbine by Dave Cullen

- Tummiin vesiin by Paula Hawkins

- Tunne lukkosi: vapaudu tunteiden vallasta by Kimmo Takanen 

- Synkän metsän siimeksessä by Ruth Ware

- Luolamies by Jorn Lier Horst       
  - Dead Writers in Rehab by Paul Bassett Davies      

On 3-7-2017 at 10:24 PM, Alexander the Great said:

I don't like taking library books myself, because I'd be way too worried about forgetting them, or my bag getting stolen, or things like that. If a library book gets damaged, I have to pay the library a fine. I try to treat my own books with care too, but if they get damaged, then it's just me who suffers and not any other library members. So I'd rather take one of my own books, rather than risk damaging or losing a library book. I've never returned a book late or damaged a library book, I intend to uphold my perfect standing with the library (I did though hand in books others had damaged that I borrowed but didn't see it was damaged until I got home, then usually didn't dare to read it). An older, not completely new anymore copy of a book bought a while ago, might be best.

14 hours ago, frankie said:

That makes sense :yes: Although personally I might worry about forgetting to pack the library book and leaving it behind accidentally, which would then become an issue of logistics :rolleyes: Thus one's own book would make more sense.

Same!

It's nice you rated My Not So Perfect Life 4/5, that seems promising :). I hope I'll like it too, I have good hopes I will.

@frankie and @Athena I have never lost a book or forgot one or had my bag stolen, probably because I'm super paranoid about it and keep checking.

My library protects their books with some kind of plastic, so they're better equipped for travel. I also return my books to the library in the state they were in :)

Let us know which books you end up choosing, @frankie!

I'm paranoid too! I also keep checking if I've got everything. I've never had a book stolen from me either. I did more recently though have, possibly, some food stolen I was carrying. At least, I'm pretty sure I didn't drop it but when I arrived home it was gone. So, I suspect someone nicked it as I put the bag down to rest. It was two packs of wraps. I suspect this man who gave me the creeps as he walked past (he looked at me in a weird way), but I could be wrong and both packs could've fallen out of the bag. It seemed unlikely though, I think I would have noticed if anything heavier fell out. I try not to think about it too much as I cannot stand injustice. But ever since I've not been putting bags down to rest.

It's true, the libraries here protect their books with plastic also. Nice to know that's also the case in Belgium!

I hope you have great holidays, Frankie :). Do post about what book(s) you decide to bring, if you want to :).

On 4.7.2017 at 10:52 PM, Lau_Lou said:

Really glad you enjoyed the last two books. Those two are right up my street so I'm hoping I'll feel the same when I've read them :)

They were really good, I hope you will like them when you get to them! :smile2:

On 4.7.2017 at 10:52 PM, Lau_Lou said:

Enjoy your holiday. Sounds like you'll be very busy.

Thanks! :smile2:  The trip to hometown is only for 6 days and I'll have 2 whole weeks after that, completely unplanned and unorganized :D  I'll have time to be lazy, too! 

On 5.7.2017 at 11:43 AM, Athena said:

I don't like taking library books myself, because I'd be way too worried about forgetting them, or my bag getting stolen, or things like that. If a library book gets damaged, I have to pay the library a fine. I try to treat my own books with care too, but if they get damaged, then it's just me who suffers and not any other library members. So I'd rather take one of my own books, rather than risk damaging or losing a library book. I've never returned a book late or damaged a library book, I intend to uphold my perfect standing with the library (I did though hand in books others had damaged that I borrowed but didn't see it was damaged until I got home, then usually didn't dare to read it). An older, not completely new anymore copy of a book bought a while ago, might be best.

That's interesting about you guys getting a fine for a damaged book! Is it a set fine or do they approach the subject on a case by case basis, depending on the book?  Over here we just have to pay how much the book cost to the library - or find them a new copy of the book in exchange. So, depending on the book, that wouldn't be all too expensive. One could easily find copies at BookDepo, for instance, at a smaller price, than say from a bookstore. 

On 5.7.2017 at 11:43 AM, Athena said:

It's nice you rated My Not So Perfect Life 4/5, that seems promising :). I hope I'll like it too, I have good hopes I will.

I hope you will like it! :smile2: There was a few things I didn't enjoy about the book but they were minor things :)

On 5.7.2017 at 11:48 PM, Alexander the Great said:

@frankie and @Athena I have never lost a book or forgot one or had my bag stolen, probably because I'm super paranoid about it and keep checking.

My library protects their books with some kind of plastic, so they're better equipped for travel. I also return my books to the library in the state they were in :)

I've never lost a book either, or damaged one. I'm super vigilant if I have library books with me when I travel, so that I won't misplace them. :) 

On 5.7.2017 at 11:48 PM, Alexander the Great said:

Let us know which books you end up choosing, @frankie!

I've not decided yet! It's killing me! :D:(

On 6.7.2017 at 1:00 PM, Athena said:

I'm paranoid too! I also keep checking if I've got everything. I've never had a book stolen from me either. I did more recently though have, possibly, some food stolen I was carrying. At least, I'm pretty sure I didn't drop it but when I arrived home it was gone. So, I suspect someone nicked it as I put the bag down to rest. It was two packs of wraps. I suspect this man who gave me the creeps as he walked past (he looked at me in a weird way), but I could be wrong and both packs could've fallen out of the bag. It seemed unlikely though, I think I would have noticed if anything heavier fell out. I try not to think about it too much as I cannot stand injustice. But ever since I've not been putting bags down to rest.

Aww, sorry about that :(   It's annoying when you don't know what happened, but then again it might be worse if you did know it was the man :(  :empathy:

On 6.7.2017 at 1:00 PM, Athena said:

I hope you have great holidays, Frankie :). Do post about what book(s) you decide to bring, if you want to :).

I still have to think about it. I might change my mind about whatever I decide today, and go with something else tomorrow morning. It's stressing, actually. I wouldn't mind this much, if the train journey wouldn't be 6 hours in total. If I can't settle into reading a book, I'll be bored! So it has to be a good one, and one that suits my mood. 

On 2017-7-6 at 11:00 AM, Athena said:

I'm paranoid too! I also keep checking if I've got everything. I've never had a book stolen from me either. I did more recently though have, possibly, some food stolen I was carrying. At least, I'm pretty sure I didn't drop it but when I arrived home it was gone. So, I suspect someone nicked it as I put the bag down to rest. It was two packs of wraps. I suspect this man who gave me the creeps as he walked past (he looked at me in a weird way), but I could be wrong and both packs could've fallen out of the bag. It seemed unlikely though, I think I would have noticed if anything heavier fell out. I try not to think about it too much as I cannot stand injustice. But ever since I've not been putting bags down to rest

Boo, that's nasty and mean. :(

Is one book enough for a longish journey like yours ? It's difficult picking books for journeys, you're trying to predict what your mood might be like ahead of time. I've generally gone for a mix of thrillers and something a bit weightier, which I could get stuck into. :)

I'm in the middle of one book, so I thought one other book would do, I couldn't finish two books in 6 hours, as I'm going to sleep for the first few hours (I've had to wake up at 5.50 to catch my train :D ). But yeah, in the end I figured as I've packed lightly, I could take a few different choices. I read the first few lines of each of them, and found them interesting.

I'm going with 

- Chamberlain, Diane: The Lies We Told  (TBR)
- Charriére, Henri: Papillon (TBR)

- Lawson, Jenny: Furiously Happy (library)

and a poetry book by a Finnish rapper I really like. 

13 hours ago, frankie said:

That's interesting about you guys getting a fine for a damaged book! Is it a set fine or do they approach the subject on a case by case basis, depending on the book?  Over here we just have to pay how much the book cost to the library - or find them a new copy of the book in exchange. So, depending on the book, that wouldn't be all too expensive. One could easily find copies at BookDepo, for instance, at a smaller price, than say from a bookstore. 

I think it's a flat rate, but I'm not 100% sure as I've never damaged anything. I believe it is the new price, but I don't know if that's the new price of an ordinary book, or the new price for the ordinary book + the materials to make it a Dutch (and Belgian) library book (that plastic and such - I've read it can be expensive). BookDepo doesn't sell many Dutch books I believe, so if you want a Dutch book it'd cost a bit more as you'd have to order from a Dutch website or buy it at a Dutch book shop. But I think the library would ask you for the money, they don't ask you to buy another copy. They'll buy the copy, so you just have to pay them what they ask for. That's what I remember reading somewhere, at least. But my memory could be wrong!

I hope you will like it! :smile2: There was a few things I didn't enjoy about the book but they were minor things :)

Maybe we can discuss it when I have finished reading the book :). It should be here late next week.

Aww, sorry about that :(   It's annoying when you don't know what happened, but then again it might be worse if you did know it was the man :(  :empathy:

That's true :hug:.

9 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Boo, that's nasty and mean. :(

4 hours ago, frankie said:

I'm in the middle of one book, so I thought one other book would do, I couldn't finish two books in 6 hours, as I'm going to sleep for the first few hours (I've had to wake up at 5.50 to catch my train :D ). But yeah, in the end I figured as I've packed lightly, I could take a few different choices. I read the first few lines of each of them, and found them interesting.

I'm going with 

- Chamberlain, Diane: The Lies We Told  (TBR)
- Charriére, Henri: Papillon (TBR)

- Lawson, Jenny: Furiously Happy (library)

and a poetry book by a Finnish rapper I really like. 

I quite liked The Lies We Told, and I've heard good things about Furiously Happy (though I haven't read it nor do I own it). I hope you enjoy all of these books :)!

On 8.7.2017 at 10:39 AM, Athena said:

I think it's a flat rate, but I'm not 100% sure as I've never damaged anything. I believe it is the new price, but I don't know if that's the new price of an ordinary book, or the new price for the ordinary book + the materials to make it a Dutch (and Belgian) library book (that plastic and such - I've read it can be expensive). BookDepo doesn't sell many Dutch books I believe, so if you want a Dutch book it'd cost a bit more as you'd have to order from a Dutch website or buy it at a Dutch book shop. But I think the library would ask you for the money, they don't ask you to buy another copy. They'll buy the copy, so you just have to pay them what they ask for. That's what I remember reading somewhere, at least. But my memory could be wrong!

Over here it would be the new price I think, however as an alternative to paying the price the library paid for the book (let's say it's a book), they will allow you to find a copy of the book in new condition, on your own. This means that instead of paying for their asking price, I could find a cheaper copy from a book selling website. 

BookDepo doesn't sell Finnish books at all, I don't think, but I could get cheaper of Finnish novels from Adlibris. I might even find a suitable copy at a flea market, and as far as I know (meaning, unless they've changed their rules!) the library wouldn't care the book came from a flea market. As long as it's as good as new. 

On 8.7.2017 at 10:39 AM, Athena said:

I quite liked The Lies We Told, and I've heard good things about Furiously Happy (though I haven't read it nor do I own it). I hope you enjoy all of these books :)!

I only got to reading The Lies We Told, I have 15 pages left. I don't think I liked it all that much, unfortunately. :(

On 9.7.2017 at 0:47 AM, Little Pixie said:

I'm now excited about your trip : Will there be journey pics ? :)

Nah, I don't think I've ever shared pictures of my hometown or current whereabouts on here, much anyways. I do enjoy a bit of privacy, and being the only (?) regular Finn on here, I don't want to post too much about personal stuff. Pictures, like. :)  I also don't tend to take a lot of photos of places, I prefer taking pictures of people and animals. :)  

I'm back from my vacation to my hometown! :)   I did a bit of reading, I finished one and I'm about to finish one other book. 

Here's the current score: 

Borrowed books (3/18)

- The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan   4/5  

- My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella   4/5 

Sopivasti sekaisin by Veera Vaahtera 3/5 

- Ajan kanssa: kesäni Marcel Proustin seurassa by Petteri Kantola

- Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanism, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh 

- Irti sosiaalisesta jännittämisestä by a bunch of people

- God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

- Talking as Fast as I Can: from Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between) by Lauren Graham 

- Furiously Happy: a Funny Book about Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

- The Dandelion Years by Erica James

- Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: a self-help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques by Gillian Butler 

- The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews

- The Real Liddy James by Anne-Marie Casey 

- Vapaaksi ahdistuksesta by Edmund J. Bourne

- Hengitys itsesäätelyn ja vuorovaikutuksen tukena by a bunch of people 

- Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay   

- Kuka murhasi Roland Barthesin? by Laurent Binet

- Columbine by Dave Cullen

Reserved books (7)

- Daddy Cool: kolme vuosikymmentä televisiomaailman huipulla by Jorma Sairanen & Kalle Kinnunen

- Tällä tavalla maailma loppuu by Philip Teir 

- Tummiin vesiin by Paula Hawkins

- Tunne lukkosi: vapaudu tunteiden vallasta by Kimmo Takanen 

- Synkän metsän siimeksessä by Ruth Ware

- Luolamies by Jorn Lier Horst       
  - Dead Writers in Rehab by Paul Bassett Davies

22. My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella 

Blurb: Katie Brenner has the perfect life: a flat in London, a glamorous job, and a super-cool Instagram feed. 

OK, so the truth is that she rents a tiny room with no space for a wardrobe, has a hideous commute to a lowly admin job, and the life she shares on Instagram isn't really hers. But one day her dreams are bound to come true, aren't they?

Until her not-so-perfect life comes crashing down when her mega-successful boss Demeter gives her the sack. All Katie's hopes are shattered. She has to move home to Somerset, where she helps her dad with his new glamping business. 

Then Demeter and her family book in for a holiday, and Katie sees her chance. But should she get revenge on the woman who ruined her dreams - or try to get her job back? Does Demeter - the woman who has everything - actually have such an idyllic life herself? Maybe they have more in common than it seems. 

Thoughts: A new Kinsella novel that I was eager to read! I would say this one's as good as the rest of her standalones, but not her best. It was really readable and rather funny at times, but even so, there wasn't anything really special about it, that would make me remember it fondly years from now. I did like it, but it doesn't stand out from the rest of Kinsella's novels.

There were two things that bothered me about the novel and I will share them in spoilers: 

Spoiler

First, I found Katie's 'bespoke activities' for Demeter to be absolutely stupid. It wasn't funny and Kinsella made both Katie and Demeter sound really stupid for doing the whole thing. 

Second, I kinda wished at the end of the book that Katie would stay single, now that she'd found her wings, and that she didn't have to get the man in order to be 'whole'. The ending with Alex returning was rushed and boring and I could've done without it. It would've been a breath of fresh air if Katie'd been single at the end of the story. 

4/5

I came home with 7 books I bought/received on my vacation: 

Tuomas Alatalo: Olen ja saan sanoa (an autobiography of sorts, or essays, by Alatalo who has CP) (40cnt)
Wilma Klippel: Nurmeksen kauppala - ensimmäiset vuosikymmenet (This is a collection of stories and pictures and the history of the center of Nurmes, my hometown. It was published early this year and I've coveted it. I was going to see if my parents wanted to buy it, so I could then borrow it and read it, but Mom had already gotten it for me, as a name day present :wub:  )

Finnish - German - Finnish dictionary (I was going to buy one at a bookshop, and it would've cost at least 19€, and it would've been a pocket book version. But this one I found at a flea market, and for only 50cnt!! And it's as good as new)

Radclyffe Hall: The Well of Loneliness (from flea market, 50cnt, in mint condition!) - This is on the 1001 Books -list! 

Sapphire: Push! (from flea market, 50cnt) 

Georges Perec: Life a User's Manual (from flea market, 50cnt, in mint condition!) - This is on the 1001 Books -list! 

Sanna Wikström: Unelmakarttakirja (This one's actually an exercise book, it's about stuff in life. Won't go into detail.)

Edited by frankie

Over here it would be the new price I think, however as an alternative to paying the price the library paid for the book (let's say it's a book), they will allow you to find a copy of the book in new condition, on your own. This means that instead of paying for their asking price, I could find a cheaper copy from a book selling website. 

BookDepo doesn't sell Finnish books at all, I don't think, but I could get cheaper of Finnish novels from Adlibris. I might even find a suitable copy at a flea market, and as far as I know (meaning, unless they've changed their rules!) the library wouldn't care the book came from a flea market. As long as it's as good as new. 

It's interesting how libraries have different systems in different countries :).

I only got to reading The Lies We Told, I have 15 pages left. I don't think I liked it all that much, unfortunately. :(

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that :(.

Nice review of My Not So Perfect Life! I'll read your spoilers once I've read the book myself :). Shame the book didn't really stand out, but I'm glad it was enjoyable at least.

12 hours ago, frankie said:

Tuomas Alatalo: Olen ja saan sanoa (an autobiography of sorts, or essays, by Alatalo who has CP) (40cnt)

What is CP? I tried to look it up but all it gave me was things that I don't think are what you mean.

12 hours ago, frankie said:

Wilma Klippel: Nurmeksen kauppala - ensimmäiset vuosikymmenet (This is a collection of stories and pictures and the history of the center of Nurmes, my hometown. It was published early this year and I've coveted it. I was going to see if my parents wanted to buy it, so I could then borrow it and read it, but Mom had already gotten it for me, as a name day present :wub:  )

That sounds nice :)! What is a name day?

You got some nice books for great prices :D. I hope you enjoy all of them!

2 hours ago, Athena said:

It's interesting how libraries have different systems in different countries :).

Very interesting! And you don't get this kind of detailed info and data from anywhere else but here! :D   How educational is this place, right? :D

Nice review of My Not So Perfect Life! I'll read your spoilers once I've read the book myself :). Shame the book didn't really stand out, but I'm glad it was enjoyable at least.

I can't wait for you to read the book so we can compare notes, and I'll get to know how you liked it! :)  And I want to know what you think about the things I mentioned in the spoiler tag.  And don't get me wrong, it was good, I gave it 4/5 after all! I think my review sounded like I might've given it a lower mark :unsure::D  

What is CP? I tried to look it up but all it gave me was things that I don't think are what you mean.

I'm now curious what you came up with! :D  CP means cerebral palsy, which is what my Boss has. The author of the book I bought has a more severe form of CP than my Boss and I think he cannot speak (I've not read the book yet so I'm not 100% sure). 

That sounds nice :)! What is a name day?

I was going to explain it in my own words but then it sounded so weird, so I hope you don't mind if I just give you the link to the wiki page!  And here's the gist of it:

"A name day is a tradition in some countries in Europe, Latin America, Catholic and Orthodox Christian countries in general. It consists of celebrating a day of the year that is associated with one's given name. The celebration is similar to a birthday."  

It's a curious one, as I don't think I've noticed anyone else talk about their name day on here, and I've wondered at times if other countries don't celebrate it. Here's a list of countries that do, according to Wikipedia. 

So it's not celebrated in the Netherlands and the UK? 

It's not a huge celebration or anything. My name day is on 19.7., and what happens is that people who remember it's my name day, or people who happen to look at their calenders (that include the names that are celebrated that day) and notice it's my name day might send me a text saying 'Happy Name Day!' and that's that :D   My name day is during the "women's week". I haven't heard any other country celebrating women's week, but wikipedia tells me they do celebrate it in Sweden, too. The week is 18.-24.7., and on that week there are only womens' names on the name calendar. I might as well copy+paste the dates and names celebrated: 

So these are all Finnish womens' names. 

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else celebrates name day in their country! :)  

Edit: If anyone is curious about a name calendar, I mean a calendar that includes name days. Here's a link to a Finnish calendar view for July 2017, and you'll see all the names that are celebrated on each different day. Sometimes, I think especially in the 'older days', a newborn might be given the name according to the day they were born. For example, my Dad was born 5.7., and he was given the name Unto. (And Dad knows a woman who was born on the very same day, but she couldn't be named Unto or Untamo because those are mens' names, so she was named Ulla instead, as Ulla is celebrated on 4.7. :D

Today, 15.7., Rauni and Rauna celebrate their name days. Rauni is one of those rare names that's a unisex name. We only have a couple of them.

You got some nice books for great prices :D. I hope you enjoy all of them!

Thanks! :smile2: I was particularly happy about the dictionary and the Georges Perec book, as it's been on my wishlist for a long time :smile2:

Edited by frankie

I want to write a bit about my holiday, or rather something specific about that. You know I'm a dog person, through and through. I like other animals, too, and I like cats, but I'm just not a huge fan. I think it's because I've mostly met rambunctious cats that can't be told to settle down, and cats' teeth and nails are so much pointy and hurtful than dogs', in my opinion. I did meet two cats many many years ago, that were sooo nice, and whenever someone came to visit the people, they would come to the door and see who was coming, and they were very happy to meet people and one of them especially was very happy to be picked up and cuddled, even when they were meeting a new person. They were so nice and lovable! :wub:   I will admit that I haven't met many cats for some reason, I just haven't been lucky enough to have many friends or relatives here in Finland who have cats and so I haven't been 'exposed' to them as much as one might like, and so I don't know much about cats. I do have one friend who had cats but their were very much outdoors cats and one would hide away the second she noticed guests were arriving (I never got to touch her. She once tolerated me going past her, 5 meters away, but I had to be very careful and my friend was on alert and it made me anxious because I guess I thought it was made into a huge deal, the whole thing. I mean it would've been easier if everyone had just been warned that the cats won't come to you and they won't like it if you try and touch them, if you manage to get close to them. Instead, we were warned but we were also told to stay put and then my friend would watch her cats and see what they did and it felt rather uncomfortable, actually, thinking back. The cats probably wouldn't have minded if they were just allowed to hide away and have everyone not pay attention to them. Instead, they were being paid attention to more, as we were to tread carefully when they were around, and we were observed to see what might happen.). 

Oh wow, that was a ramble! I think those visits had a bigger impact on my views of cats than I thought. And that's not fair because the cats were alright, I didn't have problems with them at all, I was just made to think there might be problems (when there weren't going to be, as the cats were very used to going their own way and there were many places to hide and we never sought them out as we knew not to do it!). 

The other cat was a tiny bit more sociable, and I remember this one time when I was with the friend, watching something on TV, and the cat came to the room and when we ignored her as according to the great cat plan, she came to sit on the chair I was sitting on, and she got so comfortable that she settled down and I was able to give her a belly rub and she purred happily. My friend thought that was amazing. 

Anyhow, the same friend has recently gotten two cats. The first one she got is a kitten, really, as he's now 3 months, I think. Super tiny. He's a Birman. The other one is a 1 year old Ragdoll. I've never seen any Birmans or Ragdolls in real life, I didn't even know we had them in Finland! :o   (Yes, I'm not very knowledgeable in Cat.) Anyhow. I wasn't overly keen on meeting them, I'll be honest. Had my friend gotten dogs, I couldn't have waited to see them! That's just how I'm wired, personally, and I hope none of my cat loving friends on here mind :unsure:    No offence!  

Then I met them. The Birman came to the door to say hi when we came in, and he was soooo cute!! The other one was a tiny bit more reserved, but she was also happy to have visitors come and meet her.  They do like company coming over, and I thought that was so odd! (Compared to my previous experiences with same friend's other cats.) 

I didn't think I'd be interested in the cats, but they were adorable :wub:   I'd taken an extra allergy pill, knowing I'd meet them, but they only made me sneeze once or twice! I was able to cuddle and give rubs without too much trouble, as long as I washed my hands and took breaks from the rubs. When the Ragdoll was up a climbing tree, just chilling out in the box on the top, I was admiring her and she was happy to be admired, and then the other one, the young 'un, well do you know what he did! He climbed me up and sat on my shoulder!! He'd never done that with my friend, the cat's owner! He sat there for 15 seconds and then got on the box to sit with the Ragdoll. So yes, I was a climbing tree for him and a means to the destination, but he did sit on my shoulder for a while :D That was so precious!  

The other one was a bit more reserved, but she was happy to have people over, too. She let me rub her belly, which my friend said was not something she'd let other visitors do, apart from my friend's family members who visited often. She said that even cat people who'd come had not been able to do it. I said maybe it's because I don't know cats well at all and I'm really careful and cautious with them, and don't go for a straight approach, and maybe the cats appreciate that. I'm not saying cat people are ignorant to the cats' reactions and needs and go in for a cuddle straight away. I don't know how to explain it. Again, I hope I'm not offending any cat people. 

Anyway, the second time I met the cats, the more reserved one walked past me and stopped on her tracks in front of me and lay down on her side and I knew she wanted a belly rub. As soon as I rubbed her, she started purring! :D   It was amazing :D  I don't mean to sound boastful, but it was just so odd! My friend said I was some sort of cat whisperer (and she did seem a bit sad that the Birman had never sat on her shoulder :(:( ). 

I have to say, I fell in love with them two :wub: I hope to meet them soon again!

Edited by frankie

51 minutes ago, frankie said:

Very interesting! And you don't get this kind of detailed info and data from anywhere else but here! :D   How educational is this place, right? :D

I can't wait for you to read the book so we can compare notes, and I'll get to know how you liked it! :)  And I want to know what you think about the things I mentioned in the spoiler tag.  And don't get me wrong, it was good, I gave it 4/5 after all! I think my review sounded like I might've given it a lower mark :unsure::D  

I'm now curious what you came up with! :D  CP means cerebral palsy, which is what my Boss has. The author of the book I bought has a more severe form of CP than my Boss and I think he cannot speak (I've not read the book yet so I'm not 100% sure). 

I was going to explain it in my own words but then it sounded so weird, so I hope you don't mind if I just give you the link to the wiki page!  And here's the gist of it:

"A name day is a tradition in some countries in Europe, Latin America, Catholic and Orthodox Christian countries in general. It consists of celebrating a day of the year that is associated with one's given name. The celebration is similar to a birthday."  

It's a curious one, as I don't think I've noticed anyone else talk about their name day on here, and I've wondered at times if other countries don't celebrate it. Here's a list of countries that do, according to Wikipedia. 

So it's not celebrated in the Netherlands and the UK? 

It's not a huge celebration or anything. My name day is on 19.7., and what happens is that people who remember it's my name day, or people who happen to look at their calenders (that include the names that are celebrated that day) and notice it's my name day might send me a text saying 'Happy Name Day!' and that's that :D   My name day is during the "women's week". I haven't heard any other country celebrating women's week, but wikipedia tells me they do celebrate it in Sweden, too. The week is 18.-24.7., and on that week there are only womens' names on the name calendar. I might as well copy+paste the dates and names celebrated: 

So these are all Finnish womens' names. 

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else celebrates name day in their country! :)  

Edit: If anyone is curious about a name calendar, I mean a calendar that includes name days. Here's a link to a Finnish calendar view for July 2017, and you'll see all the names that are celebrated on each different day. Sometimes, I think especially in the 'older days', a newborn might be given the name according to the day they were born. For example, my Dad was born 5.7., and he was given the name Unto. (And Dad knows a woman who was born on the very same day, but she couldn't be named Unto or Untamo because those are mens' names, so she was named Ulla instead, as Ulla is celebrated on 4.7. :D

Today, 15.7., Rauni and Rauna celebrate their name days. Rauni is one of those rare names that's a unisex name. We only have a couple of them.

Thanks! :smile2: I was particularly happy about the dictionary and the Georges Perec book, as it's been on my wishlist for a long time :smile2:

The name day reminds me of the A Song of Ice and Fire books - they celebrate their name days there! Reading about it in your topic here, I've just discovered my name day is January 2nd. I shall celebrate henceforth!

1 minute ago, Alexander the Great said:

The name day reminds me of the A Song of Ice and Fire books - they celebrate their name days there! Reading about it in your topic here, I've just discovered my name day is January 2nd. I shall celebrate henceforth!

Where did you find your name day, I'm curious! :)   You should totally celebrate, and celebrate for the years' worth you didn't know you had a name day!!! :D:clapping:

18 minutes ago, frankie said:

Where did you find your name day, I'm curious! :)   You should totally celebrate, and celebrate for the years' worth you didn't know you had a name day!!! :D:clapping:

I found it here: http://www.mynameday.com/a.html

Not sure how official that is, but I like the date ^^ I'll have to celebrate for 26 years worth then!

Edit: Also found this website, looks better: http://www.namedaycalendar.com/search/alexander

Edited by Alexander the Great