Frankie reads 2017

frankie

5 minutes ago, frankie said:

Yay, another glowing recommendation! :) Did you review the book back when you finished it? 

I was writing down my priority reads -list in my new bujo, having Human Traces on the list. Made me think of you. :D  I hope you've not lost all hope in me! :blush::unsure::D

Unfortunately not, I am rubbish with reviews but it must have been good to get a 5/5, it would have helped that it covered some wartime history. :) 

Of course I haven't given up on you, you'll get to Human Traces when you're ready, I don't think the cover does it any favours though, we are all more drawn to the brighter and more interesting ones.  :blush:

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20. The Crime Writer by Jill Dawson 

Blurb: In 1964, the eccentric American novelist Patricia Highsmith is hiding out in a cottage in Suffolk to concentrate on her writing and escape her fans. She has another motive too - a secret romance with a married lover based in London. But her lover keeps failing to visit, a stalker seems to be on her trail and after a young woman claiming to be a journalist comes to interview her, events take a violent turn. Or do they? As ever in Highsmith's troubled life, perhaps matters are not quite as they first appear ... 

Thoughts: Found this title by chance at the library. I'm not a fan of Highsmith, but I have read two of her novels, having really liked one of them (Talented Mr Ripley) and disliked the other (can't remember the title). I was very intrigued by this title, though! 

So much to say about the book, and I fear I won't remember all, so I'm just going to quickly note down all I can remember, in a first come first serve -order :D 

- When I was reading this, I couldn't help but wonder what part of it was fiction, and what was based on fact. Of course I had to assume the biggest events, plot-wise, were fictional. I became rather curious about Highsmith's real life. I learned that this much was true:

Spoiler

the snails, and her taking a lot of them to an award show. And the Veronica Gedeon thing, and meeting her father and her father being obsessed about VG as well. 

Oh how I wish I could share the spoiler stuff with you! It was so odd, all the stuff!!

- Highsmith, if the portrayal of her in this novel is anything to go by, wasn't a very pleasant person, was she :o   I found her rather

Spoiler

selfish and self-absorbed: when she'd killed Sam's husband, all she could think about was how Sam could now be with her, with no consideration for how Sam must've been shocked by it all, and of course how Minty would feel. And she thought about killing pretty much all of the people in her life that appeared in the events of the book, except for Ronnie! :o:D What the hell. 

-  I think the book was well written and it was rather intense, as intended, I believe. I think Dawson did a fine job of it. However, I wasn't able to concentrate on it for very long periods of time and my reading was therefore rather haphazard :(  This was through not fault of the book!  I was just distracted by other things. Had I been able to concentrate on it and read the book in 2-3 days, I might've liked it even better. 

I had other things to say about the book but I can't remember them. 

Good stuff! 

3/5

22 minutes ago, chaliepud said:

Unfortunately not, I am rubbish with reviews but it must have been good to get a 5/5, it would have helped that it covered some wartime history. :) 

So I guess it's not as chick-littish as I may have thought? :)

22 minutes ago, chaliepud said:

Of course I haven't given up on you, you'll get to Human Traces when you're ready, I don't think the cover does it any favours though, we are all more drawn to the brighter and more interesting ones.  :blush:

The cover isn't keeping me off, it's just that I can't seem to get into anything more difficult than chick-lit and crime at the moment :unsure: Although  The Crime Writer by Jill Dawson which I just read was more than just one's basic thriller, in my opinion.... Maybe I ought to try something more difficult, and see if I might get on with it now! Instead of just thinking that this reading slump will stick and I'll never get over it. 

18 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

The Crime Writer sounds really interesting - I'm going to see if I can find it anywhere here!

It was a rather atmospheric read. I'm still not quite sure about the ending, and some of the other things. I think this will stay with me for a while. 

18 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

Not that I need more on my TBR pile, it just looks really cool!

:lol:   Where's your TBR at, at the moment? Although that's a rather useless question, as the total number of TBR books doesn't say much because you borrow books from the library, too :P

4 minutes ago, frankie said:

It was a rather atmospheric read. I'm still not quite sure about the ending, and some of the other things. I think this will stay with me for a while. 

:lol:   Where's your TBR at, at the moment? Although that's a rather useless question, as the total number of TBR books doesn't say much because you borrow books from the library, too :P

It's become so bad, I've stopped counting. Last time I did, it was somewhere near 300, I think. How's yours?

Epica is in Finland right now, at Nummirock (did I get that right?) They also announced the release of an EP yesterday and you can pre-order. I tweeted about it and Simone liked the tweet again, while so many people tweet about it! I tweeted that I'd pre-ordered and am ready to add it to my EpiCollection, along with four pictures of most of my Epica stuff.

Edited by Alexander the Great

15 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

It's become so bad, I've stopped counting. Last time I did, it was somewhere near 300, I think. How's yours?

:lol: Mine's in the signature, so I can't escape the horrid number... 353 at the moment! (The number before that being my TBR number at the beginning of the year. Yikes!)

I think maybe it's safest not to count.... :giggle2: Ignorance is bliss! 

15 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

Epica is in Finland right now, at Nummirock (did I get that right?) They also announced the release of an EP yesterday and you can pre-order. I tweeted about it and Simone liked the tweet again, while so many people tweet about it! I tweeted that I'd pre-ordered and am ready to add it to my EpiCollection, along with four pictures of most of my Epica stuff.

Ah, I didn't know they were here. Yes, you got Nummirock right! :) I've never been to Nummirock, as it's on the other side of Finland. 

Simone re-tweeted your tweet AGAIN? :D   I'm seeing backstage passes in your future.... *clairvoyant moment*

5 minutes ago, frankie said:

:lol: Mine's in the signature, so I can't escape the horrid number... 353 at the moment! (The number before that being my TBR number at the beginning of the year. Yikes!)

I think maybe it's safest not to count.... :giggle2: Ignorance is bliss! 

Ah, I didn't know they were here. Yes, you got Nummirock right! :) I've never been to Nummirock, as it's on the other side of Finland. 

Simone re-tweeted your tweet AGAIN? :D   I'm seeing backstage passes in your future.... *clairvoyant moment*

Wow, totally missed that in your signature! Sorry! I feel with these TBR piles, for every book you read, it seems to sprout five new ones... I think it's every reader's issue though.

She didn't re-tweet, but she liked the tweet ^^ But that's still awesome, means she saw it! I'm so excited about this. I would give my life for those backstage passes. I hope you are really clairvoyant!

4 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

Wow, totally missed that in your signature! Sorry! I feel with these TBR piles, for every book you read, it seems to sprout five new ones... I think it's every reader's issue though.

No need to be sorry! The signature's a bit cryptic, and I at least don't pay much attention to people's signatures. I mean, they don't catch my eye, even though there might be fun ones around. 

And you're quite right about what you said one read book sprouting five new ones! 

4 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

She didn't re-tweet, but she liked the tweet ^^ But that's still awesome, means she saw it! I'm so excited about this. I would give my life for those backstage passes. I hope you are really clairvoyant!

Sorry, my bad! I was too quick to read your message, because I got excited for you and was eager to write down my response :D  Liking your tweet is just as golden as re-tweeting it! (Well, not 100%, but very close!!) 

18 hours ago, frankie said:

I've never even heard of Erica James myself, I don't think! :) I'm glad to hear you've liked her other books at least. I hope this one will be fun, too! :)

I was in the UK in a charity shop, when I found a book by her (called It's the Little Things). I had heard about this book somewhere, but I cannot remember where. I decided to buy the book. I read it and quite liked it so when I found two more books by her, on the Dutch book fair, I bought them. To this day I haven't read those two books, but I did buy others by her and read a few of those. I should really read more by her, as she's written a lot of books and I've only read a few, but.. so many nice books.. One day though :).

On 24/06/2017 at 1:43 PM, frankie said:

Oooh, thanks Ooshie for the recommendation! :smile2: I checked the library if they had copies of it, and the cover of the book looked suspiciously familiar. I think they only recently acquired their copy at the library and I've seen the book in the new acquired books -online list. The title doesn't mention anything about books so I didn't inspect the book more closely. I reserved a copy and it's already arrived :D  I hope I will get to it soon. 

Another book related book that I reserved a few months ago has also arrived, so I don't know which one I'll read first. But as you are into these books, too, I'll reveal the title and blurb for your advantage, should you like to read it, too :D

The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan 

Nina Redmond is a literary matchmaker. Pairing a reader with that perfect book is her passion ... and also her job. Or at least it was. Until yesterday, she was a librarian in the hectic city. But now the job she loved is no more. 

Determined to make a new life for herself, Nina moves to a sleepy village many miles away. There she buys a van and transforms it into a mobile bookshop that she drives from neighborhood to neighborhood, changing one life after another with the power of storytelling.

From helping her grumpy landlord deliver a lamb to sharing picnics with a charming train conductor who serenades her with poetry, Nina discovers there's plenty of adventure, magic, and soul in a place that's beginning to feel home ... a place where she just might be able to write her own happy ending. 

(I think chesilbeach recommended the author to me, and when I checked her work, I thought the best book to start with would obviously be the one about books :D ) 

I've never even heard of Erica James myself, I don't think! :) I'm glad to hear you've liked her other books at least. I hope this one will be fun, too! :)

Other books in the genre that I would recommend off the top of my head are The Secret of Happy Ever After by Lucy Dillon and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. Lovely reads :wub:   My most favorite ones in this genre, off the top of my head. 

I'm so glad you found it so quickly, @frankie, I really hope you enjoy it - hopefully you will as chaliepud liked it so much too!

Thanks for the extra suggestions; the title of The Bookshop on the Corner is ringing a bell with me, although the storyline isn't.  I have had a good search and can't find it on any of my TBR piles, though.   I wonder whether I have seen it at my Mum's house?  I will need to look next time I am there!  I haven't heard of the other two so they can go straight on my wish list :)

On 27.6.2017 at 11:22 PM, Ooshie said:

Thanks for the extra suggestions; the title of The Bookshop on the Corner is ringing a bell with me, although the storyline isn't.  I have had a good search and can't find it on any of my TBR piles, though.   I wonder whether I have seen it at my Mum's house?  I will need to look next time I am there!  I haven't heard of the other two so they can go straight on my wish list :)

The Bookshop on the Corner is also titled The Little Shop of Happy Ever After, if that helps in any way! I didn't realize about the two different titles before I was half way through the book. I hope you find it! :)  I have 60 pages to go, but I'm really enjoying it :)

There's a sale at the big bookshop in the city, started a few weeks ago but I only went in this Monday. There was a very small selection of English titles :(  They've had more before! (Or maybe I was too late) I almost didn't notice them. 

Took a look at the titles and only fancied one, but didn't buy it! It was Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer. 

Today I went back because it was haunting me :blush: And then there were books that hadn't been there before, and I liked the sound of one of them, and so I bought it, too :blush: It's called The Portable Veblen by Elizabeth Mckenzie. 

I thought I was allowed to splurge a little, as I got my paycheck including holiday money a few weeks ago. 

I have been thinking about my TBR a lot lately, and I've come to the conclusion that I seriously ought not to borrow any books from the library. I have so many wonderful books to get to on my bookshelves!! I know I've said the same thing before, and I failed to stick to my decision, but I'm trying once again. So, (after reserving a copy of a Jenny Colgan book I have my sights on! - edit: they don't have a copy of that book! I'm annoyed, but I guess this is better for my TBR), I will try and not make any more reservations of books, and I won't borrow random books from the library (unless I hear about a favorite author coming out with a new book that I simply must read!) I'm only allowed to read the ones that I've already borrowed, and the ones I've already reserved. Here is the list:

Borrowed books (2/16)

- The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan   4/5  

- My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella   4/5 

- Sopivasti sekaisin by Veera Vaahtera  

- Ajan kanssa: kesäni Marcel Proustin seurassa by Petteri Kantola

- Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanism, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh 

- Irti sosiaalisesta jännittämisestä by a bunch of people

- God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

- Talking as Fast as I Can: from Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between) by Lauren Graham 

- Furiously Happy: a Funny Book about Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

- The Dandelion Years by Erica James

- Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: a self-help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques by Gillian Butler 

- The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews

- The Real Liddy James by Anne-Marie Casey 

- Vapaaksi ahdistuksesta by Edmund J. Bourne

- Hengitys itsesäätelyn ja vuorovaikutuksen tukena by a bunch of people 

- Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay   

Reserved books (9)

- Daddy Cool: kolme vuosikymmentä televisiomaailman huipulla by Jorma Sairanen & Kalle Kinnunen

- Tällä tavalla maailma loppuu by Philip Teir 

- Kuka murhasi Roland Barthesin? by Laurent Binet

- Columbine by Dave Cullen

- Tummiin vesiin by Paula Hawkins

- Tunne lukkosi: vapaudu tunteiden vallasta by Kimmo Takanen 

- Synkän metsän siimeksessä by Ruth Ware

- Luolamies by Jorn Lier Horst       
  - Dead Writers in Rehab by Paul Bassett Davies      

Edited by frankie

15 hours ago, frankie said:

The Bookshop on the Corner is also titled The Little Shop of Happy Ever After, if that helps in any way! I didn't realize about the two different titles before I was half way through the book. I hope you find it! :)  I have 60 pages to go, but I'm really enjoying it :)

That's quite helpful! I find it confusing when publishers do that, release the book under a different title. I have actually accidentally bought a book twice because of that. And I've almost accidentally bought books twice because of that, but then realised it in time.

There's a sale at the big bookshop in the city, started a few weeks ago but I only went in this Monday. There was a very small selection of English titles :(  They've had more before! (Or maybe I was too late) I almost didn't notice them. 

Took a look at the titles and only fancied one, but didn't buy it! It was Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer. 

Today I went back because it was haunting me :blush: And then there were books that hadn't been there before, and I liked the sound of one of them, and so I bought it, too :blush: It's called The Portable Veblen by Elizabeth Mckenzie. 

I thought I was allowed to splurge a little, as I got my paycheck including holiday money a few weeks ago. 

I hope you enjoy both books :).

I have been thinking about my TBR a lot lately, and I've come to the conclusion that I seriously ought not to borrow any books from the library. I have so many wonderful books to get to on my bookshelves!! I know I've said the same thing before, and I failed to stick to my decision, but I'm trying once again. So, (after reserving a copy of a Jenny Colgan book I have my sights on! - edit: they don't have a copy of that book! I'm annoyed, but I guess this is better for my TBR), I will try and not make any more reservations of books, and I won't borrow random books from the library (unless I hear about a favorite author coming out with a new book that I simply must read!) I'm only allowed to read the ones that I've already borrowed, and the ones I've already reserved. Here is the list:

I recognise the problem. I had a similar situation in 2016 and 2015, so this year I've been going to the library a lot less and been reading my own TBR books more instead. Good luck sticking with your list and I hope you enjoy all of the books on it :).

I hate it when you change titles too, and have also nearly bought the same book twice, in fact I have done that, but it was because the publishers re-printed the author's books, and I bought an older book thinking it was the new one, as the covers were all so similar.

9 hours ago, Athena said:

That's quite helpful! I find it confusing when publishers do that, release the book under a different title. I have actually accidentally bought a book twice because of that. And I've almost accidentally bought books twice because of that, but then realised it in time.

7 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I hate it when you change titles too, and have also nearly bought the same book twice, in fact I have done that, but it was because the publishers re-printed the author's books, and I bought an older book thinking it was the new one, as the covers were all so similar.

I don't think I've ever bought a book I already owned with a different title, but I can imagine how annoying it would be!! 

Athena said: 

I recognise the problem. I had a similar situation in 2016 and 2015, so this year I've been going to the library a lot less and been reading my own TBR books more instead. Good luck sticking with your list and I hope you enjoy all of the books on it :).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with the same thing! :)   But the struggle is very real.... :D   But I'm feeling good about this, as I can already cross one title off the list as I finished it last night! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

On 31.5.2017 at 6:56 PM, frankie said:

It's the last day of May, and I can say this month was better for me reading-wise! :exc:   For the first time this year, I managed to read more than 3 books per month! I read 5 books altogether. This makes me very happy! :smile2: And even though my latest read was a 2/5, it at least made me more interested in reading again. I would not watch TV or be online as much, because I'd read instead! :)  Hurrah! 

It's the last day of June, and I can say this month was also better for me reading-wise, than the first four months of the year! :smile2:  I read 4 books, and they all got good marks:

June

18. Pimeyden Helsinki by Ville Pesola

19. The Little Bookshop of Lonely Hearts by Annie Darling 3/5 thoughts

20. The Crime Writer by Jill Dawson 3/5 thoughts

21. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan 4/5

21. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan 

Blurb: Nina Redmond is a literary matchmaker. Pairing a reader with that perfect book is her passion... and also her job. Or at least it was. Until yesterday, she was a librarian in the hectic city. But now the job she loves is no more. 

Determined to make a new life for herself, Nina moves to a sleepy village many miles away. There she buys a van and transforms it into a mobile bookshop that she drives from neighborhood to neighborhood, changing one life after another with the power of storytelling. 

From helping her grumpy landlord deliver a lamb to sharing picnics with a charming train conductor who serenades her with poetry, Nina discovers there's plenty of adventure, magic, and soul in a place that's beginnimg to feel like home... a place where she just might be able to write her own happy ending. 

Thoughts: Chesilbeach recommended Jenny Colgan's novels in the Sophie Kinsella thread, and that's how I came to read this book (I obviously wanted to start with a novel that has to do with books :D ) Thanks for the recommendation! :flowers2:

Nina is a reader and a dreamer, and has escaped into the world of books most often in her life. But things change when she sets up a mobile bookshop. Oh how I would love to do what she did, and just start selling books to people. Move somewhere else and start from square one. 

A really endearing read. I miss the characters and the setting. I could've just read on. 

4/5

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with the same thing! :)   But the struggle is very real.... :D   But I'm feeling good about this, as I can already cross one title off the list as I finished it last night! :smile2:

Yay :smile2:!

14 hours ago, frankie said:

It's the last day of June, and I can say this month was also better for me reading-wise, than the first four months of the year! :smile2:  I read 4 books, and they all got good marks:

June

18. Pimeyden Helsinki by Ville Pesola

19. The Little Bookshop of Lonely Hearts by Annie Darling 3/5 thoughts

20. The Crime Writer by Jill Dawson 3/5 thoughts

21. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan 4/5

Well done, I'm glad you had a great reading month :)! Good marks too. Is there a reason you haven't marked the first book on the list? I guess maybe because it's Finnish?

14 hours ago, frankie said:

21. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

I'm glad you enjoyed this :). Since both you and Chesil recommend it, I shall put it on my wishlist :).

11 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Not buying/borrowing books is a tough thing to do. Good luck :)

Thanks, I'm going to need it! :D

11 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I love that feeling when you feel that connected to the characters and the settings.

Me, too! I was thinking just earlier today how I'd like to read more books that are set in similar places. But the characters wouldn't be the same... :unsure:

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Well done, I'm glad you had a great reading month :)! Good marks too. Is there a reason you haven't marked the first book on the list? I guess maybe because it's Finnish?

I do rate my Finnish reads, too. The book in question is the one by an acquaintance, and initially I thought I probably might not want to rate his book in case he googled his name and the book title and saw my rating. But then I did give it a 3/5 and that's not a bad rating. I rated the book on GR and so I was meant to rate it on here, too, but somehow I forgot. Or was still in the mindset of not rating it, even though I'd decided to rate it :D  It must've just slipped my mind in the end! 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you enjoyed this :). Since both you and Chesil recommend it, I shall put it on my wishlist :).

Yay! I dare say you might like it :smile2:

On 1-7-2017 at 10:06 AM, frankie said:

I do rate my Finnish reads, too. The book in question is the one by an acquaintance, and initially I thought I probably might not want to rate his book in case he googled his name and the book title and saw my rating. But then I did give it a 3/5 and that's not a bad rating. I rated the book on GR and so I was meant to rate it on here, too, but somehow I forgot. Or was still in the mindset of not rating it, even though I'd decided to rate it :D  It must've just slipped my mind in the end! 

Ah it makes sense about the acquaintance :).

On 1-7-2017 at 10:06 AM, frankie said:

Yay! I dare say you might like it :smile2:

I think there is a high chance I will :smile2:.

I only have one week at work left, and then I'm off for the second part of my summer holidays. 3 weeks!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:     I'm BUZZING! :D    3 weeks of doing absolutely no work.  

I'm going to my hometown on Saturday and will stay there for almost a week. Initially I wanted to stay in Helsinki for a few days before heading out, just to cool off, but my cousin is only available during the weekends and if I want to see him, I'll have to be in Nurmes on a weekend. So I thought why not travel there the very first day of holidays and just get into a summer holiday mood by going out of town, and changing the scenery 100%.  I will be meeting my cousin's daughter for the second time and I'm really excited about that, I've only met her once, last Christmas. She's adorable :smile2: (And they have a dog who is so friendly and keen on visitors! :D   I can't wait to play ball!!!) 

I'm sure we'll go to the library and see what books they are selling :D And we'll go and check out the thrift shops for books, too. As it's my holiday, I'm allowed to buy books, I'll say! :D  

And then the most important thing: which books to take with me, to read! I'm wondering if I should just go with a library read and reduce the number of library books to be read, or go with a TBR book. Or maybe I should go with something that is a perfect holiday read, instead. Maybe the book of letters and diaries by two Finnish women, dating back to the 50s. I found that book one summer, maybe 4 years ago, and loved reading it, but never finished... I think that might set me in the holiday mood!   (I don't want to bring a really fancy, new book, so that I won't accidentally get it all ruffled up in my backpack.)

Oh boy :exc:    

Edited by frankie