Frankie reads 2017

frankie

6 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

I would think the Finnish would excel at horror! Something to do with the landscape and the melancholy feeling I associate with nordic countries.

I know what you mean! One could easily think we'd do well in that area. But we don't! :unsure:

Also the music (my favourite metal band is Epica, which is Dutch, but Nightwish was my favourite for years and years and they're Finnish).

Maybe the fact that we have so many great metal bands is why we don't have great horror authors. Maybe one can't have both :P:lol:    I'm happy to hear you've been a huge fan of Nightwish! :smile:  I've never actually liked their music and I feel kind of guilty because of that... I really disliked Tarja's vocals, the Swedish Anette I thought was better. 

... And what's really, really funny and ironic, is that when I saw Nightwish at a rock festival with Floor Jansen, I thought it was pretty darn good! I thought Floor Jansen took it to a whole other level, she was _dynamite_! And this is of course ironic because you like the Finnish band and I don't, but I do like it when there's Floor Jansen who's Dutch :lol:

(To clarify: I don't like their music as such, but I really, really liked their performance at the rock festival, and that was 100% due to Floor Jansen! :biggrin: )

Edited by frankie

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, frankie said:

I know what you mean! One could easily think we'd do well in that area. But we don't! :unsure:

Maybe the fact that we have so many great metal bands is why we don't have great horror authors. Maybe one can't have both :P:lol:    I'm happy to hear you've been a huge fan of Nightwish! :smile:  I've never actually liked their music and I feel kind of guilty because of that... I really disliked Tarja's vocals, the Swedish Anette I thought was better. 

... And what's really, really funny and ironic, is that when I saw Nightwish at a rock festival with Floor Jansen, I thought it was pretty darn good! I thought Floor Jansen took it to a whole other level, she was _dynamite_! And this is of course ironice because you like the Finnish band and I don't, but I do like it when there's Floor Jansen who's Dutch :lol:

I loved Nightwish with Tarja, I was a total fanboy. I even have the Nightwish biography! I didn't like it with Anette and I didn't like how much their music changed.

When Anette left and Floor replaced her for the remained of the American tour, I thought the Americans were so damn lucky to have Floor as the singer. I did like the new cd with Floor a bit better, but it's not like the Nightwish of old at all. I'm hoping with the new album, it will be better again because Floor will also be participating in making the music. I saw them live with Floor in December 2015 and weirdly enough didn't like them - maybe because it was the end of the tour and they were tired, or because they played so many songs from the Anette era that I don't know at all.

But to be clear, I love Floor Janssen. Fun fact: she was in After Forever, the band Mark Jansen was in before he left to found Epica (my favourite band). I think Floor is so strong - how she kept making music with ReVamp, how she battled that burn-out and then found her place in Nightwish. She's a much better fit than Anette imo.

Sorry, I went off track there a bit. Tends to happen when I talk about my favourite music!

Frankie, this is your chance. Go and fill that gap in the Finnish book market and write your own horror novel!

3 hours ago, frankie said:

Which ones, may I ask? :smile2:  It might be a while till I get to The Hypnotist. I have other detective books / thrillers to get to... Although then I might just ignore them and start with this. Who knows!

I went to a bookshop today after work. As it's my payday and I got the next four days off work (Easter holidays), I thought I'd see what sort of BuJo stuff they might have... I saw they'd put up a box of English paperbacks for sale, 5€ per book. That's not a big bargain in my opinion, but that particular bookshop chain never gets any cheaper than that, so ... I was sure there'd be boring titles only, and was happy to just browse and leave without buying anything. But then I found a copy of A Fortunate Age by Joanna Rakoff, which I added on my wishlist at the end of last year. And then I saw the copy of My Salinger Year by the same author! :exc: I had to buy those two :blush:  Didn't buy any BuJo stuff, so that was a small victory! 

Happy Easter to anyone who's celebrating and happy Thursday to all the rest :biggrin:

Camilla Lackberg and Asa Larssen to name two.  I know there's others I've read too.  

1 hour ago, Alexander the Great said:

1 hour ago, Alexander the Great said:

I loved Nightwish with Tarja, I was a total fanboy. I even have the Nightwish biography! I didn't like it with Anette and I didn't like how much their music changed.

I will confess that I don't know how much they music changed when Tarja left / was kicked out, and when Anette came in. As I didn't listen to their music. I only know that I really couldn't stand Tarja's opera howl.... :blush: But that's just me and I appreciate the fact that other people liked her and the band so much. 

When Anette left and Floor replaced her for the remained of the American tour, I thought the Americans were so damn lucky to have Floor as the singer. I did like the new cd with Floor a bit better, but it's not like the Nightwish of old at all. I'm hoping with the new album, it will be better again because Floor will also be participating in making the music. I saw them live with Floor in December 2015 and weirdly enough didn't like them - maybe because it was the end of the tour and they were tired, or because they played so many songs from the Anette era that I don't know at all.

It'll never be the old Nightwish, I think that's safe to say. And I know that probably bothers a lot of people. Fans will either have to face the fact that they'll not like the new stuff, or keep an open mind and come to terms with the new stuff and possibly love it. I remember when Korn did their quite out-of-line album what with Skrillex and whatnot. It was a major difference to their normal stuff. It took some time to get used to it. Happily I ended up liking the album. Although I'm happy to see them going back to their older mode. 

I hope you will like the new album! :smile:

But to be clear, I love Floor Janssen. Fun fact: she was in After Forever, the band Mark Jansen was in before he left to found Epica (my favourite band). I think Floor is so strong - how she kept making music with ReVamp, how she battled that burn-out and then found her place in Nightwish. She's a much better fit than Anette imo.

:biggrin:  It's a small world! I bet Floor could do whatever she wanted: she was mesmerizing on the stage!! :wub: All the power to her! 

Sorry, I went off track there a bit. Tends to happen when I talk about my favourite music!

No apologies needed, I encourage off-topic stuff, and music is as important as books! :yes:   Also, even though I'm no Nightwish fan, it's nice to hear there are fans out there in the world who like Finnish bands :smile2:   

Frankie, this is your chance. Go and fill that gap in the Finnish book market and write your own horror novel!

:lol: I'm afraid I'd probably write a very corny horror book! Nobody would take it seriously! :biggrin: Not my forte! But thanks for having the confidence in me :biggrin:

27 minutes ago, bookmonkey said:

Camilla Lackberg and Asa Larssen to name two.  I know there's others I've read too.  

As much as I've read Nordic thrillers / detective novels, I've not read anything by those two authors, I must admit :blush:

Edited by frankie

12 hours ago, frankie said:

I've read two books since the last book I reviewed on here. I haven't reviewed them so far because the first was a re-read and I don't review re-reads, and the second was a Finnish novel and I don't review those unless I know the book's been translated into English or I think it might be a future classic and might get translated into English.

I'm glad you liked your re-read. What a shame you didn't get on with the Finnish horror book :(. I hope you'll find another Finnish horror author that you do like. How nice V writes books :smile:. I'd be happy to read your review even if the book was in Finnish and I would be unable to read it, but I do understand you don't wish to write reviews for books which most people on the forum won't be able to read.

We have horror in the Netherlands, though I'm more familiar with Dutch kids horror books than with adult ones (I prefer kids horror :blush:). Dutch kids horror is a bit different than English kids horror (ie. works by R. L. Stine, that's what I'm most familiar with). I like both. It's hard to explain exactly how it is different, but the Dutch ones I've read have more elements of the supernatural than R. L. Stine books (there are more vampires, werewolves and the likes to be found), and not always is the supernatural creature pure evil, on occasion they are in fact benevolent. There is also more humour in Dutch kids horror (that's not to say that for example Goosebumps books don't have humour, because they do. But not the same kind). 

12 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

Also the music (my favourite metal band is Epica, which is Dutch, but Nightwish was my favourite for years and years and they're Finnish).

I like both those bands!

On 14.4.2017 at 9:48 AM, Athena said:

I'm glad you liked your re-read. What a shame you didn't get on with the Finnish horror book :(. I hope you'll find another Finnish horror author that you do like. How nice V writes books :smile:. I'd be happy to read your review even if the book was in Finnish and I would be unable to read it, but I do understand you don't wish to write reviews for books which most people on the forum won't be able to read.

Maybe V will be the one whose horror book I will like! :)  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I was supposed to get my copy of the book last Tuesday, but the book messenger, so to speak, took ill unfortunately. Hopefully I'll get my book next Tuesday. 

Thanks for being happy and willing to read my reviews even if they were of Finnish novels which you might never get to read yourself! :flowers2:   But I'm finding writing reviews hard enough as it is, so I'm only too happy to give the Finnish novels a pass :giggle2:  I've never been this uninspired about writing reviews! 

On 14.4.2017 at 9:48 AM, Athena said:

We have horror in the Netherlands, though I'm more familiar with Dutch kids horror books than with adult ones (I prefer kids horror :blush:). Dutch kids horror is a bit different than English kids horror (ie. works by R. L. Stine, that's what I'm most familiar with). I like both. It's hard to explain exactly how it is different, but the Dutch ones I've read have more elements of the supernatural than R. L. Stine books (there are more vampires, werewolves and the likes to be found), and not always is the supernatural creature pure evil, on occasion they are in fact benevolent. There is also more humour in Dutch kids horror (that's not to say that for example Goosebumps books don't have humour, because they do. But not the same kind). 

That's quite interesting! It would actually make an interesting literary thesis for someone to write, for uni. :)  

I've not made much progress with books this week but it's still been an uplifting week in some ways. I found a free copy of Bo Carpelan's Lehtiä syksyn arkistosta, which I've heard is great and which I've been wanting to read for some years now. Bo Carpelan was a Finnish author, but I've never read anything by him. I haven't read the blurb in ages, and I don't want to re-read it now because I want to dive straight into the story without knowing what it's about... but I do know that it's about some man who's taking leave from work or who's retiring and then he reads books and contemplates his reading, or at least something to that effect. It's short but it's supposed to be wonderfully written. 

The other great thing about this week is that I finally got the bag I ordered online some weeks ago. My old one had a hole in one of its pockets (unfixable... I fixed it once and the problem was solved for a while but then there was a new tear and it became un-refixable) and it was too small for convenience. This new one is bigger and so handy! I'll be able to carry my Traveler's Notebook in it, or BuJo, for that matter. 

I also ordered a copper Leuchtturm1917 for myself as my current BuJo only has 60 pages left. (I also found out about a sale at a stationary shop and they had -40% off everything, and so I got another Leuchtturm1917 on sale... :blush::giggle2: I now have two new ones to choose from!) 

Edited by frankie

10 hours ago, frankie said:

Maybe V will be the one whose horror book I will like! :)  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I was supposed to get my copy of the book last Tuesday, but the book messenger, so to speak, took ill unfortunately. Hopefully I'll get my book next Tuesday. 

I hope you'll get your book soon :)!

Thanks for being happy and willing to read my reviews even if they were of Finnish novels which you might never get to read yourself! :flowers2:   But I'm finding writing reviews hard enough as it is, so I'm only too happy to give the Finnish novels a pass :giggle2:  I've never been this uninspired about writing reviews! 

:friends3:

I hope you find more inspiration soon :(.

That's quite interesting! It would actually make an interesting literary thesis for someone to write, for uni. :)  

It totally would! I wouldn't mind reading that :D.

I've not made much progress with books this week but it's still been an uplifting week in some ways. I found a free copy of Bo Carpelan's Lehtiä syksyn arkistosta, which I've heard is great and which I've been wanting to read for some years now. Bo Carpelan was a Finnish author, but I've never read anything by him. I haven't read the blurb in ages, and I don't want to re-read it now because I want to dive straight into the story without knowing what it's about... but I do know that it's about some man who's taking leave from work or who's retiring and then he reads books and contemplates his reading, or at least something to that effect. It's short but it's supposed to be wonderfully written. 

I hope you enjoy it :)!

The other great thing about this week is that I finally got the bag I ordered online some weeks ago. My old one had a hole in one of its pockets (unfixable... I fixed it once and the problem was solved for a while but then there was a new tear and it became un-refixable) and it was too small for convenience. This new one is bigger and so handy! I'll be able to carry my Traveler's Notebook in it, or BuJo, for that matter. 

I also ordered a copper Leuchtturm1917 for myself as my current BuJo only has 60 pages left. (I also found out about a sale at a stationary shop and they had -40% off everything, and so I got another Leuchtturm1917 on sale... :blush::giggle2: I now have two new ones to choose from!) 

How nice you've got a new bag :D! And so nice about the Leuchtturms :)! You've been going through your BuJo fast! Or rather, maybe I'm using mine only slowly :P.

I'm on my laptop right now, and while replying to your quotes I had the weirdest thing: several times the laptop would type mirrored. So instead of "I hope you..." it said "uoy epoh I". So weird! I've no idea what I pressed to made that happen!

6 hours ago, Athena said:

:friends3:

I hope you find more inspiration soon :(.

Thanks Athena! :friends3:  Maybe it's a case of me reading a lot of books that are quite samey. Meaning, I read thrillers and chick-lit. Maybe. Or maybe I'm just not in the mood. I don't know... I shouldn't stress over it, that's for sure :D

How nice you've got a new bag :D! And so nice about the Leuchtturms :)! You've been going through your BuJo fast! Or rather, maybe I'm using mine only slowly :P.

The copper Leuchtturm had not arrived on Friday... I hope it's not gone lost in the mail :(   My current LT arrived in two days, so I'm surprised that this one's not arrived yet, as I did order them from the same place, and I know the LT's been sent along, it just hasn't arrived. 

I've had my BuJo for almost 4 months now. It might be quick going, but then again I use it as a calendar and I do my weeklies on it, so there's always those spreads to do every week. I guess I just like listing things and writing in it and so it's gone by really fast :D  I'm still very much in love with BuJoing. I'm really excited about starting a new one, but I won't rush to get this one done just because of that. I'm going to miss saying goodbye to my current one... That might sound a bit odd :D

I'm on my laptop right now, and while replying to your quotes I had the weirdest thing: several times the laptop would type mirrored. So instead of "I hope you..." it said "uoy epoh I". So weird! I've no idea what I pressed to made that happen!

That's so weird! Is it still happening? :mellow:  I didn't even know that could happen!! 

On 11/04/2017 at 5:39 PM, frankie said:

I popped in the Salvation Army's charity shop today, and got two books: The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler (the first novel of a very popular Swedish detective series) and Sense & Sensibility by Joanne Trollope. I've seen the copy of S&S at the shop many, many times, but it wasn't until I'd read P&P by Curtis Sittenfeld, that I felt tempted to read this one, too. 

I have the film of The Hypnotist ( with that younger detective from Beck ) to watch - I didn`t realise it was from a book. :) 

It`s the third Dept. Q film tonight on BBC4 too. :D

Edited by Little Pixie

1 hour ago, Little Pixie said:

I have the film of The Hypnotist ( with that younger detective from Beck ) to watch - I didn`t realise it was from a book. :) 

Cool! :) I've imdb'd the movie, and the younger detective I think you're talking about is Mikael Persbrandt. The lead is played by Tobias Zilliacus who's actually a Finnish actor (or Finnish Swedish, I should say) - kind of like the lead character in the book is Finnish based. :)

It`s the third Dept. Q film tonight on BBC4 too. :D

Crap! Where's my right to watch BBC4!! :angry:  :D 

Edited by frankie

Just now, frankie said:

Cool! :) I've imdb'd the movie, and the younger detective I think you're talking about is Mikael Persbrandt. The lead is played by Tobias Zilliacus who's actually a Finnish actor - kind of like the lead character in the book is Finnish based :)

Crap! Where's my right to watch BBC4!! :angry:  :D 

:lol: Awww. :(;)

It`s `A Conspiracy of Faith` tonight ( last week, it was `The Absent One`) - and next week, it`s a film called Pioneer. :)

22 hours ago, frankie said:

Thanks Athena! :friends3:  Maybe it's a case of me reading a lot of books that are quite samey. Meaning, I read thrillers and chick-lit. Maybe. Or maybe I'm just not in the mood. I don't know... I shouldn't stress over it, that's for sure :D

That'svery true :D.

The copper Leuchtturm had not arrived on Friday... I hope it's not gone lost in the mail :(   My current LT arrived in two days, so I'm surprised that this one's not arrived yet, as I did order them from the same place, and I know the LT's been sent along, it just hasn't arrived. 

Oh no :(. I hope it hasn't got lost in the post :(.

I've had my BuJo for almost 4 months now. It might be quick going, but then again I use it as a calendar and I do my weeklies on it, so there's always those spreads to do every week. I guess I just like listing things and writing in it and so it's gone by really fast :D  I'm still very much in love with BuJoing. I'm really excited about starting a new one, but I won't rush to get this one done just because of that. I'm going to miss saying goodbye to my current one... That might sound a bit odd :D

No, that doesn't sound odd at all! I get that :).

That's so weird! Is it still happening? :mellow:  I didn't even know that could happen!! 

I don't know, I haven't been using my laptop anymore. I usually just use my normal (desktop) computer, I only use the laptop on rare occasions. It hasn't happened on my normal computer. It was totally weird, I had no idea either!

The copper Leuchtturm1917 arrived today in the mail! :smile2: It's sooooo pretty! :wub:    I also got my copy of V's book :)   I think it will be a quick read because there's a lot of dialog, so I think I might get to it soon. 

12. Chart Throb by Ben Elton 

AmazonChart Throb.The ultimate pop quest. 

Ninety five thousand hopefuls. Three judges. Just one winner. 
And that's Calvin Simms, the genius behind the show. 

Calvin always wins because Calvin writes the rules. But this year, as he sits smugly in judgement upon the mingers, clingers and blingers whom he has pre-selected in his carefully scripted 'search' for a star, he has no idea that the rules are changing. The 'real' is about to be put back into 'reality' television and Calvin and his fellow judges (the nation's favourite mum and the other bloke) are about to become ex-factors themselves.

Thoughts: This is the third pop culture related novel I've read by Ben Elton, and I'm sad to say it's my least favorite of the three. I liked the twist that changed the season for Calvin Simms, the creator of the show, and I really liked reading about the one character that was the game changer. That person was hilarious! It was also interesting to read the behind-the-scenes stuff relating to making a reality TV show, but I have to say, going through the whole season and especially the finals, got a bit repetitive for me. I disliked the major twist in the end, but I did like one certain aspect about it. 

I could not read the book without seeing Simon Cowell as Calvin Simms, and Randy Jackson as Rodney Root :D

2/5

18 hours ago, frankie said:

The copper Leuchtturm1917 arrived today in the mail! :smile2: It's sooooo pretty! :wub:    I also got my copy of V's book :)   I think it will be a quick read because there's a lot of dialog, so I think I might get to it soon. 

Ooooh nice it's so pretty :D.

Sometimes I quite like reading a book with a lot of dialogue. I hope you enjoy V's book :).

I had a great day at work today. Boss wanted to visit the shopping mall I used to live next to when I was still living in Espoo, and we went there today. It was highly nostalgic :wub:  I love the place. 

The first thing we did was go to the library as my Boss wanted a new library card (her old one was really old, and expired). I had a chance to browse the book swap section and found a copy of Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs! I had to get it. It was such odd luck, as I've never seen Burroughs's books lying around in book swap places, and it was so appropriate it should happen this time when I'm with Boss, as I introduced her to Burroughs and she's a big fan :D   I also browsed the removed for sale CD collection and found two CDs by Ukkosmaine, which is a band from Joensuu that I like! How rare is that! They were only 20cnt per CD so of course I bought them both. 

We visited a hair salon as Boss wanted to buy some products, and there was a dog in there!! :o  As Boss was doing her business, I went over to pet the dog, she was really friendly :wub: Awwww!  Then we went to Clas Ohlson and I found a 'non-stick coated carbon steel oven pan' :D I've  needed one for ages but all the ones I've seen in shops are pricey, but this one was cheap-ish. Wohoo! 

Then we went and had Chinese. I like Thai food better, I've come to realize. 

Oh and when I was waiting for my tram, a girl with her dog ran into a friend of hers when she was walking by me, and the dog was friendly and she came over to sniff my pants when she was done greeting the girl's friend, and I got to pet her, too :D

On top of it all, a friend's just told me that the next season of Gogglebox will be filmed and will air in the fall!!!!! :exc:   The third season just ended on TV two weeks ago and I've been so bummed, but now I know I don't have to wait a whole year for the next season! :D 

10/10 day :D

Edited by frankie

21 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Glad to hear you had a great day :)

Espoo looks gorgeous and your boss sounds so lovely :)

what type of dogs where they? 

I do miss Espoo... :)   As to the dogs, I really don't know what breed they were. I've done a bit of googling... The first one at the hair salon looked like a Chinese crested dog but with long hair, so maybe it was a long haired Chinese crested dog, which I've just learned is called a powderpuff Chinese crested dog. I didn't know those existed! Having image googled ppCcD's, I'd say that's what the dog was :) Very unusual!   The other one was some type of poodle. I'm very unfamiliar with different poodle types, as they are not my favorites... I knew a very annoying poodle when I was growing up. 

20 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

Sounds like you had a brilliant day - and your boss sounds so cool! I can't imagine doing those things with my boss at all :) What kind of work do you do? I have a feeling I've asked this before but I forgot :blush:

:D   I'm a carer/assistant, so it's in my job description to go to places with Boss :)  My Boss has celebral palsy and she's in a wheelchair, and I assist her in whatever comes up and needs doing :)   We share the same kind of sense of humor so it's a lot of fun, most of the time. 

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you had an awesome day :smile2:!! It sounds like a great day.

It was brilliant! :smile2:   Life's simple and small pleasures! 

3 hours ago, Little Pixie said:

Aw, you got to pet doggies ! :D 

Indeed! I don't get to do that as often as I'd like :smile2:    When it gets warmer, I'm going to start going to the near by dog park with a book. 

The first third of the year is really terrible and depressing. I've only read 3 books per month! I picked up The Passenger by Lisa Lutz last week and I was reading it so quickly I thought maybe April would be a turning point and I might be able to read 4 books... but then it was the May Day and I was happily occupied with other things, and so I didn't finish the book :(   If I read 3 books per month, each month, I'll only have read 36 books this year! 

1/3 of 2017 summary

January

1. Risteily by Mats Strandberg 3/5 thoughts

2. The Twenty-Three by Linwood Barclay 4/5 thoughts

3. Kohtalokas merimatka by Lone Theils 2/5 thoughts

February

4. How to Find Love in a Book Shop by Veronica Henry 4/5 thoughts

5. Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld 4/5 thoughts

6. The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena 3/5 thoughts

March
7. The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley 1/5 thoughts 

8. Pullopostia by Jussi Adler-Olsen 4/5 thoughts

9. I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh 4/5 thoughts

April

10. Popcorn by Ben Elton (re-read) 4/5 something

11. Anna online by Stefan Nyman 1/5 something
12. Chart Throb by Ben Elton 2/5 review

Ratings: 

1/5 - 2

2/5 - 2

3/5 - 2

4/5 - 6

5/5 - 

Funny ratings, though. I'm happy that half of the books I've read have received 4/5, which is my top rating so far. 

Edited by frankie

It's a shame you haven't been able to read as much as you'd like :(. On a more positive note, at least you've been consistent every month :P.

I'm glad you read some nice 4 / 5 books, but I hope you'll find some 5 / 5 books later this year :). Nice to read your summary :friends3:!