Frankie reads 2017

frankie

Because of something that happened earlier today, and because of an article I read the other day, I've now thought about starting the Around the World -challenge which some of you have been doing on here. It's not an easy challenge as there are many, many books to read, and it might sometimes be difficult to choose what to read, but I'd like to give it a try. I hope it will help me to get back my mojo in the sense that I'd finally be able to read something other than modern (light) literature and thrillers. I miss reading books that are meatier and have more depth. 

It's going to be a big long challenge, and I won't ever put a deadline on the whole thing, because I don't want the pressure. I just hope it might steer me in the direction of books I might otherwise not read. And all the other good reasons to do it :)

Yay!  I don't have a deadline on mine either.  It's taken rather a back seat since I started the English Counties Challenge, but I do intend to go back to it at some stage.  :)

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started the Around The World challenge years ago and kinda stopped paying attention to it after a while. I should have another look at it and plan to read a few books a year off it. I agree that it's a good way to direct you towards different kinds of books you wouldn't normally pick up. Have fun with it!

There's a literary event in Helsinki in May, and a few foreign authors will be attending. I was thinking I might read some of their books, to know what they are talking about, and that would also get me reading a few book off the Around the World -challenge :) I mean in case I'm going to buy tickets to the event. 

The authors will be Orhan Pamuk, Petina Gappah, Garth Greenwell (although I probably wouldn't choose his book as there's so much to choose from for the US), Laurent Binet and Andrew Michael Hurley (plus some Swedish and Finnish authors). 

I'm most interested in reading HHhH and The 7th Function of Language by Laurent, and Petina Gappah. I've already reserved a book by each author from the library :blush: I wasn't going to reserve books, but as it's for a literary event, I'm allowing it :D

Edit: Okay I'm definitely going at least on Friday, as I just told a friend about it, as his total man crush / Finnish fave author will be showing up at the event, and my friend's also visiting from Stockholm that particular weekend! Yay, I don't have to go alone, I have a book reading friend to go with me!! :smile2:

Edit: A further note re: Around the World -challenge: as I want to get to my TBR this year more than in the past few years, I think in some cases I'll choose a suitable book for a specific country if I have something special enough in my bookcase. I should have a few different things... Like A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth for India. 

Edited by frankie

How exciting you'll be going to the literary event with a friend! I hope you will have fun :).

Good luck with the challenge, it's nice you have a few books on your TBR already. HHhH and The 7th Function of Language both sound like unusual titles.

How exciting you'll be going to the literary event with a friend! I hope you will have fun :).

Very exciting indeed! :smile2: I'm loving the literary possibilities here in Helsinki. More numerous and varied than in Joensuu!

Good luck with the challenge, it's nice you have a few books on your TBR already. HHhH and The 7th Function of Language both sound like unusual titles.

I've forever wondered why the third h is not in capitals, but now I know! It's 'Himmlers Hirn heisst Heydrich'. I've had the book on my radar for some years, because of a certain book challenge, but I've never been interested in reading the book. Not until I read about the literary event and read about Laurent Binet and his novel The 7th Function of Language. The Finnish title is Who Murdered Roland Barthes and that was really the title that made me very, very curious about Binet! I have on book by Barthes and I've started reading it maybe 5 times, never finishing, but always loving the pages I read. A week ago I didn't even really know the author existed, and now I can't wait to read his books and see him in May! :) 

6. The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

Book jacket: Your neighbour told you that she didn't want your six-month-old daughter at the dinner party. Nothing personal, she just couldn't stand her crying.

Your husband said it would be fine. After all, you only live next door. You'll have the baby monitor and you'll take it in turns to go back every half hour.

Your daughter was sleeping when you checked on her last. But now, as you race up the stairs in your deathly quiet house, your worst fears are realized. She's gone.

Thoughts: It appears that I added this to my wishlist thanks to nursenblack's review! :)  Somehow, though, I'd forgotten about the book (the wishlist add was probably a recent one, I remember older adds better, new ones escape my mind these days), but then the title showed up on the library's new books list and caught my attention. 

By the time I got the book on my hands, I'd forgotten what it was supposed to be about. I only knew that it would be a thriller, possibly, and there'd be devious neighbors. Sounded good to me! But then there was all the stuff about the baby and I'm not really that keen on babies going missing... I'd rather read about psychotic neighbors! 

The book got off to a slow start and I almost took it back unfinished, but then I just kept on going in the end. A decent thriller, but the present tense got me confused at times. There were also two twists, no actually three, to the story that I really disliked and wanted to scold the author for writing. The first twist I thought was too boring, the second was too much, and the third was way too much. 

Having said that, there were a few twists that I really enjoyed and in the end, the novel was entertaining enough. 

3/5

Ooh yay, I've just got news that my lease for the apartment will continue from current 31.5. to at least 31.7. :smile2: I don't have to move out after May! I get to stay here for the summer... I don't know what happens after July, I might have to move after that, but at least I've now got a two months' extention :smile2: Relief! 

• 2 weeks later...

That's such nice news, congratulations :smile2:!

Thanks! :smile2: I'm really happy :)

Yay, good news Frankie, that must be such a relief, you can keeps your eyes peeled for something else but not feel rushed or stressed to do so. :)

Yes, a relief indeed! :smile2: Although now I'm wondering when to have my holiday: it would be ideal to have it in July when I know I'm still living in this apartment, and I would have time to possibly move away. But on the other hand, I'd hate it if the whole holiday would be spent in looking at apartments, stressing over where to find a suitable one. Then on the other hand, I'd have time to do it during the holiday. I wouldn't have to both work AND look for a place at the same time. 

Oh well, I'll have time to figure it out. 

As for now, I went to see a doctor on Monday to talk about my iron issues. I was hoping she'd do the hemoglobin test and I could find out if the iron supplements have been helping, but she said she couldn't do it but could only refer me to a specific place where they do lab work. :rolleyes: I went there this morning... I only complain because I had to get up for the doctor and then the lab, way before my usual time  :censored:   :D  Anyway, the tests are done, the doctor will call me on Wednesday. The nurse had a hard time getting enough blood into the vials.. I told her I'm anemic and she's now probably sucked me dry.  She didn't laugh. :rolleyes: She had to try again with another vein... Wonderful!   Started feeling a bit airheaded at work and had to take it easy. Luckily there was not much work to be done today. 

Boss's husband, on the other hand, has broken his arm, and therefore I'll be doing more stuff around the house for the next 4 weeks :unsure:

Almost forgot! Had time after the blood test and before work, and so I went to buy some sheets on sale, at a supermarket. Took a look at their book section, and found two books I had to buy, on sale :smile2: I've not bought any books so far this year, and as these were only 3,99€ each, I thought I was okay. I got A Man Called Ove by Frederik Backman and Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson. 

I also may have ordered a traveler's notebook and it may have arrived today :giggle:

Edited by frankie

Ooh yay, I've just got news that my lease for the apartment will continue from current 31.5. to at least 31.7. :smile2: I don't have to move out after May! I get to stay here for the summer... I don't know what happens after July, I might have to move after that, but at least I've now got a two months' extention :smile2: Relief! 

Excellent news :hug: .. what a weight off your mind :) 

I like the sound of your traveller's notebook .. you will have to travel now or else what will you write in it? :lol: 

Hope you enjoy your new books .. I've read A Man Called Ove .. it's delightful :) 

Excellent news :hug: .. what a weight off your mind :) 

Most definitely! :smile2: I'm not in the clear yet, though, in the long(er) run, but this is a good extension :yes: Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I like the sound of your traveller's notebook .. you will have to travel now or else what will you write in it? :lol: 

Exactly :lol: When I 'only' had my BuJo and found out about Traveler's Notebooks, I thought to myself, there's no way I can justify buying a TN, because I have my Leuchtturm 1917 BuJo. Then I thought, well, if I do get to travel this summer, I will totally buy a TN so I can record my travels :smile2:;)  (But then I kept googling TNs and found a suitable supplier. Someone/someplace that did not-expensive TNs with a certain set of things (a certain number of notebooks inside etc.), but for which one could choose one's favorite cover picture... Actually one could even send their picture of whatever they wanted and they can make a cover of that! I'm very pleased with it :smile2: 

Although I have a few ideas about what to write in it before possible travels... :D But then I can just get a new one for my travels, OR just buy new notebooks and replace the old ones :smile2: 

Hope you enjoy your new books .. I've read A Man Called Ove .. it's delightful :) 

I read Ove a few years ago and loved it :smile2: I knew after reading it that I wanted my own copy, and I've been keeping my eye out for the book and now I have a copy :) 

Sorry to hear you felt airheaded, I hope it's better now.

I hope things are okay with your blood test, and that they will phone you.

I'm sorry to hear about your boss' husband's arm :(.

How great you found two books at a great price :D.

I hope you enjoy your traveler's notebook :).

Sorry to hear you felt airheaded, I hope it's better now.

I think I meant to write lightheaded, airheaded sounded really odd and like I was having a blonde moment? But I couldn't think of the right word at the time.

Oh yes, having googled airhead, it means a stupid person :D Well, that's what being lightheaded gets you :D 

I hope things are okay with your blood test, and that they will phone you.

Oh they will call me most definitely :)  The doctor who didn't call works for a whole different center (occupational health care), this one was a regular health center doctor. She checked her schedule to see when she would have the time to call me and even wrote down the date and timeline on a post-it for me :)  She was super nice, I think in the future I'll choose her as my own personal doctor as I think that's what we are allowed, and even encouraged, to do. 

7. The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley

From GoodreadsIf it had another name, I never knew, but the locals called it the Loney - that strange nowhere between the Wyre and the Lune where Hanny and I went every Easter time with Mummer, Farther, Mr and Mrs Belderboss and Father Wilfred, the parish priest.

It was impossible to truly know the place. It changed with each influx and retreat, and the neap tides would reveal the skeletons of those who thought they could escape its insidious currents. No one ever went near the water. No one apart from us, that is.

I suppose I always knew that what happened there wouldn't stay hidden for ever, no matter how much I wanted it to. No matter how hard I tried to forget...

From AmazonWhen the remains of a young child are discovered during a winter storm on a stretch of the bleak Lancashire coastline known as the Loney, a man named Smith is forced to confront the terrifying and mysterious events that occurred forty years earlier when he visited the place as a boy. At that time, his devoutly Catholic mother was determined to find healing for Hanny, his disabled older brother. And so the family, along with members of their parish, embarked on an Easter pilgrimage to an ancient shrine. 

But not all of the locals were pleased to see visitors in the area. And when the two brothers found their lives entangling with a glamorous couple staying at a nearby house, they became involved in more troubling rites. Smith feels he is the only one to know the truth, and he must bear the burden of his knowledge, no matter what the cost. Proclaimed a “modern classic” by the Sunday Telegraph (UK), The Loney marks the arrival of an important new voice in fiction.

Thoughts: I had a difficult start with the novel. I was drawn to the book at nights when I read it before falling asleep, but the next day I'd forgotten all I'd read. I had to start all over a few times, and I really should've taken it as a sign to give up. Most of the time I was expecting things to start going somewhere and the novel to pick up its pace. I was waiting for the suspense and the goosebumps and chills and everything. But I really didn't feel anything for the book, other than boredom :unsure: I didn't like the characters, nor did I find them interesting. The plot didn't really deliver, unfortunately. Personally I'm rather surprised that in 2015, this book was chosen as the best debut in the UK, according to the book jacket. 

I'm sure some will love it and enjoy it, but it wasn't for me. 

1/5

^ Oh dear, so not a good one then? :o  I only bought it because it was £0.99 and it won so many awards, but I wasn't sure it would be my kind of book. I will still give it a go though....I hope I enjoy it more than you did. :o

^ Oh dear, so not a good one then? :o  I only bought it because it was £0.99 and it won so many awards, but I wasn't sure it would be my kind of book. I will still give it a go though....I hope I enjoy it more than you did. :o

Nope, not a good one for me! I'm glad you didn't spend more money on it :)  I picked it up this time because the author's coming to Helsinki and I'm going to go to the event and I thought it would be more fun if I'd read books by the attending authors... But I didn't like it :no: 

But hey, maybe you will love it! I guess I could've liked it more if I'd been in the right mood. I don't know. Go into it with an open mind and forget all I said about the book! :) 

I think I meant to write lightheaded, airheaded sounded really odd and like I was having a blonde moment? But I couldn't think of the right word at the time.

Oh yes, having googled airhead, it means a stupid person :D Well, that's what being lightheaded gets you :D

Haha :D

Oh they will call me most definitely :)  The doctor who didn't call works for a whole different center (occupational health care), this one was a regular health center doctor. She checked her schedule to see when she would have the time to call me and even wrote down the date and timeline on a post-it for me :)  She was super nice, I think in the future I'll choose her as my own personal doctor as I think that's what we are allowed, and even encouraged, to do.

That sounds good :)

I want to post a picture of my traveler's notebook! <3

That is so pretty :wub:

Shame Loney wasn't an enjoyable book for you :(.

I've started reading The Evenings by Gerard Reve, and I realized I could count this as my first novel towards my Around the World -reading challenge! Hello, Netherlands! :D

I hope you like the book :). I read it when I was a teenager, for school, and I didn't like it so much. Of course, I had quite different reading tastes back then, but I have no inclination to go back to the book and re-read it. So I hope you like it more than I did :). Of course, a book one is forced to read, is maybe generally less fun than one that one chooses to read? Still, I read other books for my Dutch classes I liked a lot more. De Avonden (or The Evenings) won I believe several literary prizes though, so lots of other people liked the book :).

That is so pretty :wub:.

Isn't it? :wub: I'm in love with it! :D We shall have lots of fun together :D

I hope you like the book :). I read it when I was a teenager, for school, and I didn't like it so much. Of course, I had quite different reading tastes back then, but I have no inclination to go back to the book and re-read it. So I hope you like it more than I did :). Of course, a book one is forced to read, is maybe generally less fun than one that one chooses to read? Still, I read other books for my Dutch classes I liked a lot more. De Avonden (or The Evenings) won I believe several literary prizes though, so lots of other people liked the book :).

I didn't know you'd read the book! :) I'm sorry you didn't like it that much, though :(  Do you know, for some reason I thought this was a new novel... Maybe it's because it's just been translated into English and the cover looks new and modern? I was floored to read in the book that it was first published in 1948 :D 

And you're right, having to read a book can take enjoyment out of it. Although I tended to like the books I read for school... There were only a very few that I didn't like or hated (Tess...  :censored: ). But I think I got lucky with our selection! 

I've heard so much about Gerard Reve, he's heralded as one of the most brilliant minds of Dutch literature. I haven't read anything by him yet ( :blush: ) and the fact that he wasn't mandatory at school might suggest our school system - or at least the Dutch department - was more political than any of us would have guessed. We had to read some Dutch authors, but thinking back on it, it was much more focused on Flemish authors.

What kind of books did you have to read at school, Frankie?

6. The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

There were also two twists, no actually three, to the story that I really disliked and wanted to scold the author for writing. The first twist I thought was too boring, the second was too much, and the third was way too much. 

3/5

I came away from this book feeling much the same, though being a harsher critic than you I was pretty unimpressed with it in the end. It had so much potential! But it was a quick and easy read.

I also said in another thread, I started The Loney and put it aside due to it being so slow. I have a feeling I won't go back to it.

Your traveler's notebook is very pretty :wub:

I've heard so much about Gerard Reve, he's heralded as one of the most brilliant minds of Dutch literature. I haven't read anything by him yet ( :blush: ) and the fact that he wasn't mandatory at school might suggest our school system - or at least the Dutch department - was more political than any of us would have guessed. We had to read some Dutch authors, but thinking back on it, it was much more focused on Flemish authors.

I think I read somewhere that he at least used to be in the curriculum? No, wait... Athena said in her post that she had to read his book for school?

What kind of books did you have to read at school, Frankie?

Finnish classics, the usual :) I can't remember any specific novels at the moment, though, apart from Seven Brothers by Aleksis Kivi.

I came away from this book feeling much the same, though being a harsher critic than you I was pretty unimpressed with it in the end. It had so much potential! But it was a quick and easy read.

It definitely had much potential, and a couple of the twists were great, but I think there were too many twists. Or at least some of them were too silly. But it's not the worst book I've read this year, so at least it has that thing going for it :D 

I also said in another thread, I started The Loney and put it aside due to it being so slow. I have a feeling I won't go back to it.

I wish I'd left it unread... It took me so many days to read, and I could've been reading something else, something that was far more interesting!  

I did wonder if you'd possibly read it, because I remember seeing you mention the novel somewhere before, but I couldn't find any reviews of the novel anywhere on the forum. I wonder if anyone else has finished it. 

Your traveler's notebook is very pretty :wub:

Thank you! :smile2:  I totally love it :wub: 

I'm so sorry, dear Netherlands, but I'm going to abandon The Evenings by Gerard Reve :unsure: I've read maybe 120 pages of it, and I feel like maybe I should just plow on (this year I've not abandoned one single book so far, as far as I remember :o And I usually have no problems abandoning anything I don't like immediately!), but I think that the book won't get more interesting, it's just going to be the same stuff over and over again, and it's the kind of stuff that doesn't hold my interest :unsure: I'm a plot-driven woman! 

As sad as I am to abandon the book, I'm so psyched about having the chance to find a gripping book to read next! What should I try....