Frankie reads 2017

frankie

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Häppy reäding in 2017, deär Säri.  :)   :readingtwo::doowapstart::wine::cows:

You, too Jänet! :smile2: Let's send the cows flying with the amazing books that come our way! :D

Happy Reading Year!!  :readingtwo:  :D

And you, too, pontalba! :smile2: Let's hope 2017 will be a great reading year, and a much, much better year than 2016 in general! *fingers crossed*

Happy 2017 Sari, hope it is fabulous in every which way for you! :)

Oh yes please, that would be great! :D It was a sucky year in a number of ways, the only thing that made the year was getting the job and maintaining the apartment, but otherwise... Sonovagun :D

I hope you have a grand year 2017, as well, dear chalie! :smile2:

I've just taken a more detailed look at your list......oh my, you have a lot of books to read (or on your wishlist). :thud:

Is your Rory Gilmore list the definitive one? The one I used was from the first page of the challenge thread, but I think yours has more on it, so if it's the final list then I may have to pinch it. :D

A few books that stood out:

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson. I've read this numerous times and have just finished my most recent re-read. It covers such a variety of topics and of course, he makes it all the more interesting by his writing style and sense of humour.

House of Leaves - Danielewski, Mark Z. I've tried this one many years ago but struggled with all the footnotes and stylised form of story telling. I still have my copy on the bookshelf and I'm determined to give it another attempt.

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet. Love this book and intend to re-read at some point.

Small Island - Andrea Levy. Another book I've read a couple of times, and have really enjoyed.

I Let You Go - Clare Mackintosh. Very good thriller, with such a good twist.

You also have many by Haruki Murakami. I've read a few of his books now and have enjoyed the vast majority of them. They can be a bit surreal, but you just have to go with the flow. :D

Happy, happy, happy, reading in 2017 my lovely  :hug: Looking forward to reading all about your 2017 books and all the other stuff like the dogs and the peeing (oh I forgot .. we don't talk about that here!! :lol:

Your lists are awesome .. they always give me the great big kick up the behind that I need to go and try and put my lists into some semblance of order (which for me basically means deciding what colours to use :lol:) Hope 2017 is a great reading year for you and that you read some brilliant, straight into your top ten, books  :smile:  :hug: xx <3 xx

Happy 2017 for reading and all other passions and pursuits, Frankie!  Your lists have put mine to shame, and I haven't even created mine yet!  I'll quickly try and get over my feelings of inadequacy, though :P:lol: 

I'm also happy to see that my recommendations have made the cut ;).

Thanks all for popping in, work was not much fun this week and I didn't feel like doing much in the week... I'm catching up with things this weekend, as Friday was a bank holiday over here and so it's a wonderfully long weekend  :smile2: 

I've had to cull some emoticons. 

Happy New Reading Year, frankie! Another fabulously organised thread, always lovely to pop in and catch up with you and your reading - hope you have plenty of marvellous reads ahead of you in 2017. 

Thanks chesilbeach, and a very happy reading year to you, too!  :smile2: I've gone for a much simple thread this year, not having added reading challenges that I didn't do anything with last year. Keeping it nice and simple this year! 

Happy reading year Sari! Your lists are a work of art  :P

Thanks Brian  :D Ditched a lot of them this year, quite happily! I wish you a great reading year, as well! 

I've just taken a more detailed look at your list......oh my, you have a lot of books to read (or on your wishlist).  :thud:

Yes, perhaps too many.... :unsure: It didn't help that I acquire 83 books last year (and I've been really good at not acquiring too many books in the past 2-3 years before 2016!) and only read maybe 5 books off the TBR. This year I'm trying not to buy as much, and I'll try and read more off the TBR and not only read library books... 

Is your Rory Gilmore list the definitive one? The one I used was from the first page of the challenge thread, but I think yours has more on it, so if it's the final list then I may have to pinch it. 

The Rory list in this thread is the definitive one, with books from the latest season, yes :yes: It's three different lists combined, and I got it off Kylie, who did the combining at one point some years ago. Kudos to Kylie! You are welcome to pinch it :yes: 

A few books that stood out:

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson. I've read this numerous times and have just finished my most recent re-read. It covers such a variety of topics and of course, he makes it all the more interesting by his writing style and sense of humour.

This scares me to high heavens becauce I'm not very good at science at all and I fear it'll all go over my head. And I'm saying this even though I just recently read someone's review on the book and they said that Bryson uses layman's terms as he's no scientist himself and it's readable. 

House of Leaves - Danielewski, Mark Z. I've tried this one many years ago but struggled with all the footnotes and stylised form of story telling. I still have my copy on the bookshelf and I'm determined to give it another attempt.

This, too, scares me! And it's not good because I do want to read it and I do want to love it!! I got it because of the Rory list, haha :D 

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet. Love this book and intend to re-read at some point.

The size is daunting.... :thud: I need to have more faith in myself! 

Small Island - Andrea Levy. Another book I've read a couple of times, and have really enjoyed.

I want to read this but a friend of mine borrowed it some years ago and I don't know if she's already read it so she could return it... 

I Let You Go - Clare Mackintosh. Very good thriller, with such a good twist.

I do love my thrillers and psychological stuff, so I'm looking forward to this one! 

You also have many by Haruki Murakami. I've read a few of his books now and have enjoyed the vast majority of them. They can be a bit surreal, but you just have to go with the flow.  :D

I've only read Sputnik Sweetheart, which I gave 3/5 after reading, but the novel's stayed with me for years now and I would now rate it at 4/5, if I could. The Ferris Wheel thing, wow!! 

Coincidentally I was reading the Murakami thread on here just the other day and I got the feeling that I really want to move along with his novels, but I have my library books which I want to read and return before getting to my TBR... Sigh! 

I'll have a more detailed look at your TBR list later, but let me tell you - Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth is amazing and its sequel, World Without End is simply astounding.

That's what I keep hearing, but it's such a huuuuuge book! :blush: 

How is it I have not wished you a happy New Year yet??

You must get to Anais Nin What fun! Or what an... experience he he

Happy New Year! 

I should totally get to Anais Nin but there are so many books to read.. It's a bother! :D Happy reading, Anna! :) 

Hi Frankie...just popping in to wish you a happy 2017 of reading... 

Thanks Inver, and I wish you a very merry reading year in 2017, too!  :friends3: 

Happy, happy, happy, reading in 2017 my lovely   Looking forward to reading all about your 2017 books and all the other stuff like the dogs and the peeing (oh I forgot .. we don't talk about that here!! ) 

Your lists are awesome .. they always give me the great big kick up the behind that I need to go and try and put my lists into some semblance of order (which for me basically means deciding what colours to use ) Hope 2017 is a great reading year for you and that you read some brilliant, straight into your top ten, books   xx <3 xx

Happy reading year in 2017 to you too, my darling!  :friends3:   Dogs will hopefully feature in this thread in the future, too, but pee might not :D That's for other instances :D Oh lordy... 

Color coding is very important, so don't sell yourself short :D I'm very much looking forward to seeing your reading log of 2017, but no pressure! :smile2: And it's a lot of copy+pasting in the end, isn't it. It's the idea of setting it up that's more intimidating than the actual thing! Although if you're still having computer problems... :thud: Take your time, babe!! :empathy:

Happy 2017 for reading and all other passions and pursuits, Frankie!  Your lists have put mine to shame, and I haven't even created mine yet!  I'll quickly try and get over my feelings of inadequacy, though

I'm also happy to see that my recommendations have made the cut .

I read 'all other passions and fruits' :D Thanks peace, and a very happy reading year to you, too! :smile2: My lists are just basic copy+pasting from last year, and I've left quite a few out this year, actually! It's easier to breathe now :D Are you going to set up a new log for this year? 

The Rory list in this thread is the definitive one, with books from the latest season, yes :yes: It's three different lists combined, and I got it off Kylie, who did the combining at one point some years ago. Kudos to Kylie! You are welcome to pinch it :yes:

Oh, cool I shall definitely use it. Thanks to Kylie too! :D

This scares me to high heavens becauce I'm not very good at science at all and I fear it'll all go over my head. And I'm saying this even though I just recently read someone's review on the book and they said that Bryson uses layman's terms as he's no scientist himself and it's readable.

It's very, very readable. There's nothing complicated about it and it almost reads like a series of stories about different topics. You will know from the first chapter whether you'll enjoy it or not.

This, too, scares me! And it's not good because I do want to read it and I do want to love it!! I got it because of the Rory list, haha :D

Yeah, I need to wait until I have a nice big chunk of time to dedicate to it (House of Leaves). I don't think it's an easy read, probably style over substance, but because it's on the Rory list, it's all the more reason to read it! :lol:

The size is daunting.... :thud: I need to have more faith in myself!

Yeah, but if it's a great book (and Pillars of the Earth is) you'll probably end up wishing it was even longer. :lol:

I've only read Sputnik Sweetheart, which I gave 3/5 after reading, but the novel's stayed with me for years now and I would now rate it at 4/5, if I could. The Ferris Wheel thing, wow!!

I was just going to say that I didn't think I'd read this one, but I've looked on Amazon and I have read it. I can't remember the Ferris Wheel though. :blush2::doh: I think I enjoyed it but my favorite of his is The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

It's very, very readable. There's nothing complicated about it and it almost reads like a series of stories about different topics. You will know from the first chapter whether you'll enjoy it or not.

I do hope to like it, so I've got that going for me. Oddly enough, while I think I'm intimidated by it, I've never actually picked it up to read the first few pages to see if it's easy. Had I done that at some point, I might've already found out it was very readable and I might've already read the book!

Yeah, I need to wait until I have a nice big chunk of time to dedicate to it (House of Leaves). I don't think it's an easy read, probably style over substance, but because it's on the Rory list, it's all the more reason to read it! :lol:

The style's definitely something :D I know Kylie read it (for GG) and liked it a lot :) I don't remember is she LOVED it, but at least she liked it :yes: But yeah, I think one must have time and one's wits about one when reading it!

Yeah, but if it's a great book (and Pillars of the Earth is) you'll probably end up wishing it was even longer. :lol:

I've had that happen to me with Gone with the Wind, so maybe it'll be the same with this one :) I think I'd be more keen to try it if I at least had a Finnish copy: the reading would be faster for me and so it wouldn't seem that awfully long.

I was just going to say that I didn't think I'd read this one, but I've looked on Amazon and I have read it. I can't remember the Ferris Wheel though. :blush2::doh: I think I enjoyed it but my favorite of his is The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

The Ferris Wheel...

I don't remember who it was, but a character in the book was ... hm, which way was it? S/he was either at home, and watching the Ferris Wheel, and had binoculars, and then noticed her/himself sitting in the Ferris Wheel. Or then it was the case that the person was sitting in the Ferris Wheel, noticed her/his house and looked at it with her/his binoculars and the lights were on and s/he saw her/himself at home. So bizarre and absurd and creepy and everything!

I don't remember why it happened, or if it had any significance in the story. But oh boy!  :hide:   :D 

In other news, after a three day long weekend (Friday being a bank holiday), I went to work today, only to discover that I was probably coming down with a flu. I managed to do the most important things so that Boss will survive more easily for the next couple of days, if I do get sick and can't go to work. 

I don't have a fever but my throat's feeling funny and I'm feeling awful. Luckily I have meds and managed to go grocery shopping before coming back home, so I can settle down and take it easy without having to go out for anything. I might turn this into a long read-a-thon week! 

Oh and yesterday I dusted all my books and the bookcase! It took me so long :thud: 

I think I've told you guys that my computer crashed a few years ago and I lost all the documents and stuff on the hard drive. Meaning the list with all the titles of the books I own, and their price in parenthesis, along with the details of where I bought them and when, or if I got them as a present and from whom. A few weeks ago I tried my old computer, and managed to fish out the document from there. It hasn't been updated since 2012, but there's still a lot of titles! I was so happy :smile2: 

I've been meaning to start adding all my new books to that list, and I thought I'd do it while I was dusting the books, but then I realized that it would take me a whole lot longer and I would probably tire of it and not dust the bookcase at all. The dusting was the priority, as I'm allergic to it... So writing down the titles had to be left for later. 

I managed to find 6 books that I will give away. They are mostly books I got from my Boss, or rather books that Boss wanted to get rid of and I took them home with me, as they were by authors I've been wanting to try. I'm not that keen on them anymore, my TBR being huge as it is, so I'm getting rid of them. 

I've had that happen to me with Gone with the Wind, so maybe it'll be the same with this one :) I think I'd be more keen to try it if I at least had a Finnish copy: the reading would be faster for me and so it wouldn't seem that awfully long.

I had that experience with Gone With The Wind too. I was expecting a tepid romance but was really blown away by the story and by Scarlett O'Hara (she wasn't the nicest person, but she was worthy of admiration).

The Ferris Wheel...

I don't remember who it was, but a character in the book was ... hm, which way was it? S/he was either at home, and watching the Ferris Wheel, and had binoculars, and then noticed her/himself sitting in the Ferris Wheel. Or then it was the case that the person was sitting in the Ferris Wheel, noticed her/his house and looked at it with her/his binoculars and the lights were on and s/he saw her/himself at home. So bizarre and absurd and creepy and everything!

I don't remember why it happened, or if it had any significance in the story. But oh boy!  :hide:   :D

Oh man, now that you mentioned it, I do remember that. Yeah, that was freaky!! I think it was the main female character who had that experience.

In other news, after a three day long weekend (Friday being a bank holiday), I went to work today, only to discover that I was probably coming down with a flu. I managed to do the most important things so that Boss will survive more easily for the next couple of days, if I do get sick and can't go to work.

Ugh - hopefully it's nothing. I hate being sick. :empathy:

I had that experience with Gone With The Wind too. I was expecting a tepid romance but was really blown away by the story and by Scarlett O'Hara (she wasn't the nicest person, but she was worthy of admiration).

That's exactly what happened with me, too! I'd never seen the movie so had no idea what it was about, but thought it would be very syrupy.. But it was a wicked historical account! Totally riveting. I even got the Scarlett book and Rhett's People, but I wanted to re-read GwtW first. 

Oh man, now that you mentioned it, I do remember that. Yeah, that was freaky!! I think it was the main female character who had that experience.

Yeah, it was probably the main female character. It was soooo freaky! It was something I'd never experienced before, when reading a book... :o

Ugh - hopefully it's nothing. I hate being sick. :empathy:

Being sick is a real pain in the ass, but if I do get sick, I have GG to keep me company :smile2: I've really gotten into re-watching the show!

Christopher's back and he's going to ruin things for Luke.  :censored:   Oh how I love the scene where Lorelai and Luke are at the diner, talking about the paint job and having a beer, and they look for the shopping order Luke's father wrote on the wall... Oh boy :wub: 

I don't have a fever but my throat's feeling funny and I'm feeling awful. Luckily I have meds and managed to go grocery shopping before coming back home, so I can settle down and take it easy without having to go out for anything. I might turn this into a long read-a-thon week!

I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:! Or that you at least feel good enough to do more reading :D.

I think I've told you guys that my computer crashed a few years ago and I lost all the documents and stuff on the hard drive. Meaning the list with all the titles of the books I own, and their price in parenthesis, along with the details of where I bought them and when, or if I got them as a present and from whom. A few weeks ago I tried my old computer, and managed to fish out the document from there. It hasn't been updated since 2012, but there's still a lot of titles! I was so happy :smile2:

How wonderful you managed to find that list :smile2:! I'm happy for you :friends3:.

Christopher always shows up and messes things up. :motz: Ah, yes the scene at the diner. If only Taylor hadn't come barging in..... ;)  It was one of their first 'moments'.... :blush2:

I know!!! It's soooo frustrating!!  :banghead:    Why, oh why?! :( 

I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:! Or that you at least feel good enough to do more reading :D.

Thanks Athena!  :friends3:   I don't feel better today, but I do feel fine enough to read and that's what matters :lol: I can take full advantage of this flu spell :D I might as well make the most of it! 

How wonderful you managed to find that list :smile2:! I'm happy for you :friends3:.

Isn't it great?! :smile2: I just need to get cracking with the updating. I was thinking.. I don't have to go over the books on the shelf to add to the list, I could just look at the Book Acquired lists on my reading logs from 2012 - to this day and add the ones I still own. That's easier! I don't have to type down the names, it's just copy-pasting... Well, a whole helluva lot of copy+pasting... :thud::D 

Thanks Athena!  :friends3:   I don't feel better today, but I do feel fine enough to read and that's what matters :lol: I can take full advantage of this flu spell :D I might as well make the most of it!

Have fun :D!

Isn't it great?! :smile2: I just need to get cracking with the updating. I was thinking.. I don't have to go over the books on the shelf to add to the list, I could just look at the Book Acquired lists on my reading logs from 2012 - to this day and add the ones I still own. That's easier! I don't have to type down the names, it's just copy-pasting... Well, a whole helluva lot of copy+pasting... :thud::D

That's a really smart thing to do :)!

I've forgotten about this...

When I started the thread, I was eager to do all the copy+pasting of lists on the first page, and I actually forgot about saying something about what my goals are for the year. Last year I my goal was to read more TBR books than I acquired books for TBR, and failed miserably. I think this is a combination of me having still been under the spell of the great selection at the libraries here in Helsinki. It's also to do with the fact that I now had a steady job and could actually spend money on books... And my mojo was all over the place so book buying was therapeutic. 

Anyway, this year I really want to try and get back to my precious TBR. The dusting of the books and the bookcase showed me how many amazing books I have to read! :wub: I also want to get back to some challenges... Mainly the Rory Gilmore one, now that I'm re-watching the series from the start. 

So... I'm going to try very hard not to go over the new acquisitions on the library's website and make reservations like there's no tomorrow. I've already put a hold on some of the reservations so they are not coming for me now. I have now maybe 15 library loans to read. I'll try very hard to read all of those, or at least the ones I have the mood for, and then once those are read and taken back to the library, I'll try and get back to my TBR. I'll try and go with the TBR as much as possible and only borrow a library book every now and then. 

Having said that, I don't want to be completely anal about the whole thing. I do want to go where my mood takes me, as I'm a mood reader. I don't want to force my reading. But I will try to focus more on my TBR :smile2: