Vegan puff pastries?

frankie

Hey peoples! 

Does anyone know any delicious vegan recipies for puff pastries? I'm having some friends over next weekend for my Birthday, and one of them has gone vegan recently, and I'm just clueless about what to make for him! You see, he is good at baking and cooking, and so is one of my other friends who's also coming over, but I don't want to ask them, because I'm kind of the designated has-no-idea-how-to-bake of the bunch, and I'd really, really like to surprise them by having baked things. As for the non-vegan stuff, I know what I want to bake, but I have no idea what to do for a vegan puff pastry!!  I think cheese is very essential in puff pastries, but are there any good vegan cheeses out there? And what else to put in the pastries besides cheese? 

The pastries do not have to include cheese, though. But do you have any tips for me? :smile2: I'd be much obliged!

Edit: Having read about puff pastries more closely, I realize that the English puff pastries can be made of butter, among other things. I'm buying a similar sort of dough, which is a vegan-friendly version of the buttery kind. I just don't know what to call that one. 

Edited by frankie

Hey frankie :)

I've never cooked with puff pastry, but for inspiration I'd recommend that you take a look here:  http://www.recipes.vegsoc.org/results.aspx?cMenu=1&keywords=puff+pastry&andor=all&submit=Search&cVegan=yes  (I've narrowed down the search to "puff pastry and vegan" for you.)

I'm vegetarian, and have cooked quite a few recipes from this site, and can vouch for their quality and overall toothsomeness!

I hope you're able to find something good to cook up for your friend.   :)

Edited by Onion Budgie

Hi itsmeagain! :)  Yeah, of course I could just google 'vegan puff pastries', but the problem is I would get a huge number of hits all in random, and I would just have  to go with something on there. It's like books: I could google a 'good book' but I would get the opinions of a million random people on there, when I would rather ask the people I know and like on here :smile2: I trust your guys' opinions way more than those on the 'free internet' :D You know? :)  But thank you for your input anyway :) 

It's not exactly puff pastry but there are some recipes for some nice sounding mini quiches here:

https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/recipes/starters-snacks-and-sides

This site also seems to be quite good:

http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/pastries

Edited by Talisman

Thanks Talisman! Quiches are a good idea, too! :) I took a quick glance at the two links and they look very promising! I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks! :) 

(Who knows, maybe I'll pick up some other recipies from the sites, too, and can use them for later when my vegan friend comes to visit! :smile2: )

Hi itsmeagain! :)  Yeah, of course I could just google 'vegan puff pastries', but the problem is I would get a huge number of hits all in random, and I would just have  to go with something on there. It's like books: I could google a 'good book' but I would get the opinions of a million random people on there, when I would rather ask the people I know and like on here :smile2: I trust your guys' opinions way more than those on the 'free internet' :D You know? :)  But thank you for your input anyway :)

Fair point.

Thanks Little Pixie, and everyone else once again, for your tips! :smile2: I ended up doing pastries that I first 'buttered' with vegan cheesy stuff (don't know what it's called and too busy to google) and added bell pepper slices on top, and then I rolled them and cut the rolls into thinner rolls. I put vegan stringed cheese on top... But that doesn't melt, which I did know about but I only recently learned it so I didn't remember. I don't think the rolls turned out quite well... :blush: (I have vegan friendly crackers and chips/crisps, too, and I made Rocky Road that should be suitable for vegans. But if I'm wrong and everything I made is in some way unpassable for vegan food, luckily there's a shop next door so I'll give the vegan a tenner and tell him to go buy something he likes :D

Edited by frankie

But if I'm wrong and everything I made is in some way unpassable for vegan food, luckily there's a shop next door so I'll give the vegan a tenner and tell him to go buy something he likes :D

:giggle2:  

No, I'm sure everything will be delish, and he'll be immensely grateful that you took such care over the food prepared for him.  

:giggle2:

No, I'm sure everything will be delish, and he'll be immensely grateful that you took such care over the food prepared for him.  

I have to say, that it was a bit dry! I didn't expect it to be so... :unsure: Also, my oven is probably broken, as it doesn't heat things in the time frame given. I mean, in the past month or so I've noticed that the stuff I heat in the oven take longer to warm than they're supposed to, and tonight was a real bother with the oven! :(  Anyhow... Nobody went home famished, I believe, and that's as much as I could've hoped for :D 

My other friend had made vegan pizza and some other thing, and everybody ate them up like they were not going to see tomorrow... :D  Well, she's known to be a great cook and a baker and I'm just... average. Oh how I felt semi inadequate tonight! 

I used to have an oven like that.   :motz:  Certainly not your fault!

Thanks for the support!  :flowers2:       I now know there's no idea in me doing anything that needs using the oven, when I have guests coming over. I can't expect the oven to work properly. Also, I don't think I will bother that much with a lot of baking as the handy baker/cook friend of mine will always just bring stuff over and then everyone eats her stuff :D  I might as well just put out a bag of chips and popcorn and be done with it :D 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/13/2018 at 12:53 PM, RebeccaM said:

I'm a bit late to this but JusRol puff pastry is vegan. I use it frequently as making puff pastry is not one of my better skills :)

Thanks for the tip! :) I'm not sure if we have that over here in Finland, but I'll keep an eye out! :)