Buys for Christmas - from us and for us!

Booknutt

Well, I've got my plans launched in this book topic ... luckily I have several readers as friends so we mostly just buy books for each other. Of course it can be quite pricey too so we agree to buy good second hand where we can, or use the "cheap shops", to cut expense.

Sometimes ebooks are preferred, so a gift token can solve that.

OK so - do you prefer books you will eventually lend, or sell, or donate to charities? Or, much like myself prefer many of your books as "for keeps?" a common problem for bookworms!

Santa has already promised me the Conn Iggulden Wars of the Roses trilogy in paperback for storage issues, but as beautifully decorated as the hardbacks.

Also the Jean Auel "Earthchildren" series, started years ago but never finished. I can smell that wonderful fresh unpolluted air, and feel the freedom of vast spaces everytime I look at

the covers. Yes, both keepers for my growing library!

Then as gifts?

The latest hardback on Queen Victoria for a royalty-nut friend.

The Bernard Cornwall "Harlequin" trilogy for a newbie to his historical work.

For a lover of fantasy fables a copy of "Hearts Blood" by Juliet Marillier.

Then for penfriends (yes, old fashioned snailmail) the most attractive bookmarks I can find. A really good way to gather up a lovely selection to use daily.

What about the rest of you? Fiction or fact? Paper or ebook? A gift to give or receive?

Its the major book-time of the year, so have a good browse online or instore.

Merry Christmas and many Happy New reading years to all!!

I asked for a book card for a birthday gift last year, folks.

Well, my elderly friend got it half right ...she presented me with a Boots card.

Boots! What use is that to a booknutt. I ask you??

I asked for a book card for a birthday gift last year, folks.

Well, my elderly friend got it half right ...she presented me with a Boots card.

Boots! What use is that to a booknutt. I ask you??

None at all but at some point you'd need shower gel or something, surely...  :giggle2:

I read only on Kindle, so Gaia is the only person who gets me a "book". I usually get a nice Amazon card for Christmas (or my birthday, in January).

I am buying my dad's wife Ruth Bader Ginsberg's book for Christmas though.

Edited by Anna Begins

I've got a kindle too, Anna, and find it very useful, but I also love the feel of "real" books, so enjoy both.

Whatever the form, books are books and (the right!) gift cards pose an enjoyable problem - what to choose next?

Useful suggesions Madeline and Flip, re: the Boots card. I think I finished up buying toothpastes and toothbrushes!!

Of course I appreciated the actual buying of the gift, but still mourned the pleasure of more book-choosing.

Isn't it sweet suffering going into bookstores at this time of year, everyone? Santa's grotto of books around us, but confined to just one or two choices!

Like a few others on here, with the exception of things like travel guide books I only ever Kindle as well. It is then gift vouchers all the way for me. My wish list currently has 143 books on it, so one would be very handy this year. :readingtwo:

Edited by Talisman

I generally only request books that I plan to keep and treasure. In recent years, I've been more likely to request special hardback editions of favourites, such as annotated editions or anniversary editions. They're usually books that are a bit more expensive than I would pay for myself (but still affordable for others ;) ).

I've bought a small stack of books for my mum and my brother's partner.

I bought a few books for my mom, she just loves books:

My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsberg

Millennium - How Civilization Has Changed Over A Thousand Years by Ian Mortimer

The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell

and

A Brief History of time by Stephen Hawking

I hope she doesn't get mad at me, she hates when I spend money on her.

Your mom sounds like a very interesting lady, Anna.

Makes me feel a bit guilty though, I really should read more books with some valuable "grit" in them more often!

She'll love them even if she grumbles.