Your Book Activity - December 2016

Athena

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally finished Sisters by Danielle Steel. I liked how she introduced us to all four girls individually. I did not like how we had to be reminded of the same things over and over, in particular as Madeleine had said how beautiful they all were. I know books tend to do that but this was unbearable.

Anyway 1 stars. Could not be any more than that.

Wow BB, that sounds so stressful! I hope the dog will be allright. Well done on you for rescuing it. The poor thing! I hope the pipes get fixed soon, it must be so awkward not being able to run water the way you normally do. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

Haven't done a huge amount of reading over the last few days. We have a leaking water pipe, which is not what you want on Boxing Day! :motz: Refused to get a plumber in on an emergency call, but forgot that the day after (Tuesday) was also a public holiday. :motz: We ended up getting a plumber in yesterday, but it won't get repaired until 4th of January so we are keeping the mains water off where we can. Stressful, so haven't been able to relax enough to read! Oh, and I also ended up rescuing a dog that was running around the main road! Cars kept going by slowly, and I had to park up in the middle of a busy road to get hold of him (which was fun, as he was scared and barking at me, but thankfully I managed to slip a lead over his head).  He was all skinny but so affectionate once I got hold of him. Then a couple of people came out of the houses to say they had called the police in case he caused an accident....I think they were scared of him intially but I was a bit annoyed that no-one tried to get hold of him. Poor thing could have been hit.  :motz:   So that was more stress, ringing local kennels, being passed on to the council, and then finally finding a rescue centre a few villages away who could take him. And now, I have a cold...probably from the stress! :doh:

Anyway, back to reading....I've made only a small bit of progress with 1Q84, due to having all the above going through my mind. I did manage to finish A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson though, which I have been reading for months. Also, decided to do some decluttering to get my mind off the leaking water pipe, and bought The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo, which a few people on here have raved about. I'm pretty impressed with it, though some of it is a little bit "off with the pixies" for me, such as thanking your socks each day, for their hard work. :giggle2:  Nevertheless, she has helped me clear out two shelves, just by using her clothes folding method, so it's all good. :D

Oh poor bobbly! Sorry to hear about the  water pipe :( That sucks ass!!!

On another note, I take my hat off to you for rescuing the dog! :wub: You kick ass!! :yes::cool: I hope you feel better soon!  :empathy:

Thanking socks :D My socks are forever getting holes in them, so maybe I will try the thanking of socks -process :D :D Hopefully it works!

Glad you managed to rescue the poor dog, hope he's Ok and gets claimed or rehomed.  also hope you get the plumbing sorted out!

Thanks - the plumbing is keeping me on edge....I'm expecting the pipe to burst, but I think that's just me being paranoid. :blush2:

Wow BB, that sounds so stressful! I hope the dog will be allright. Well done on you for rescuing it. The poor thing! I hope the pipes get fixed soon, it must be so awkward not being able to run water the way you normally do. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

Thanks - I think I'm over my cold now. I went to bed super early (like 8pm!) and that seemed to knock it on the head. :D

Oh poor bobbly! Sorry to hear about the  water pipe :( That sucks ass!!!

On another note, I take my hat off to you for rescuing the dog! :wub: You kick ass!! :yes::cool: I hope you feel better soon!  :empathy:

Thanking socks :D My socks are forever getting holes in them, so maybe I will try the thanking of socks -process :D :D Hopefully it works!

Thanks - I am feeling better now. I keep thinking about that poor doggy. I'd love to rehome him but we don't have the space. When we move (hopefully next year) I keep joking (half-joking) that we will have dogs all over the house! :lol:

Oh yeah, the sock thing was strange. The author is very odd. I finished the book last night, and it had many useful tips, but some of it (like the sock thing) was bit silly. :giggle:

I may finish another book before the year is up. I'm getting towards the end of 1Q84 (Book two), so I may finish it tonight (depends if I have any wine to see in the new year - in which case I will fall asleep the minute I start reading :giggle2: ).