Your Book Activity - December 2016

Athena

Finished Cogheart by Peter Bunzl today - thought it was great, a thrilling MG adventure, with a little twist I didn't see coming!  Good stuff, will definitely look out for the next book, although it reads as a completely standalone story, no hint of it being a series and no cliffhanger, but at the end of the book it does say there will be another book with the same characters.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that's Helter Skelter Bugliosi? He's one of my legal heroes :D he was a prosecutor turned defense attorney, who disavowed the death penalty. I got the chance to speak to him before Susan Atkins died. She had only been given a few months to live and was up for parole, he was in support.

Edit: of her parole.

I don't know too much about him, but I enjoyed his other book - And The Sea Will Tell. I had no idea that he was anti death-penalty or that he was in support of Susan Atkins' parole. That really surprises me considering what she did and what she was like, and that he had first hand experience of that. I've watched some interviews of the Manson women and just can't reconcile what they did with how they appear now (or several years ago in Atkins' case). Makes me want to read Helter Skelter again but I have so many other books that need reading!

How did you get to speak to him? That must have been quite an honour, considering how well respected he always was.

I hope Parkland will be a good balanced read.  :boogie:

I'm nearly finished with Reamde. Well, I say nearly....I'm about 80% through but considering it's a massive book I will still be reading it for a while I think. I'm really enjoying it though and it's very different - much more accessible - to what I was expecting.

I don't know too much about him, but I enjoyed his other book - And The Sea Will Tell. I had no idea that he was anti death-penalty or that he was in support of Susan Atkins' parole. That really surprises me considering what she did and what she was like, and that he had first hand experience of that. I've watched some interviews of the Manson women and just can't reconcile what they did with how they appear now (or several years ago in Atkins' case). Makes me want to read Helter Skelter again but I have so many other books that need reading!

How did you get to speak to him? That must have been quite an honour, considering how well respected he always was.

I hope Parkland will be a good balanced read.  :boogie:

I'm nearly finished with Reamde. Well, I say nearly....I'm about 80% through but considering it's a massive book I will still be reading it for a while I think. I'm really enjoying it though and it's very different - much more accessible - to what I was expecting.

I just can't edit on this new Fire, it crashes it! Otherwise, I wouldn't have quoted your entire post *blush*

I was a radio producer at a major market news/ talk station. We had him on our news program. Being in California, Manson and the whole deal is a big thing- one of my two best friend's became a lawyer because of it. Since Manson was not present at any of the murders, it's a controversy that he was given a death sentence.

Anyway, Bugliosi was always a wise man to me (basically because he ended up believing the way I do lol). I hope Parkland is good, Helter Skelter deserves a re read :D

I'm reading One Monday Morning by Jennifer Burke and so far it's really enjoyable! Features the topics of the pro-life and pro-choice movements here in Ireland, as well as marriage equality. Very up to date topics.

I've read a bit more of David Copperfield today, so about 90% through. I can't remember the last time it took me so long to finish a book. This and Reamde seem to be going on forever! :o

I also bought My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki, after loving A Tale For The Time Being so much. I'm tempted to buy 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, but I'm waiting just in case it drops in price over Christmas during the 12 Days of Kindle. :readingtwo:

I have read two Beatrix Potter and finished Lady Chatterley's Lover which took me the very short time of 8 months to read.

Still making my way through Sisters. More than half way through and really nothing has happened. That is probably because she is still

repeating what we already know

Finished Arthur Koestler's Darkness at Noon... not the most joyous of books that's for sure. "Enjoyed" is probably not the right word, but I'm very glad I finally got around to reading it.

Not sure what to read next. Should probably start The Old Curiosity Shop - it's longer than I thought it was...

When my reading mojo fell into a slump I decided on keeping the engine ticking over by reading an old favourite, Magyk by Angie Sage. From there I have been making my way (rapidly) through the rest of her wonderful Septimus Heap series, having devoured Flyte, Physik, Queste, and Syren.

I am now reading Darke, and by the weekend I will have started and finished the final book in the series, Fyre. I love, love, LOVE this series. So much detail, great stories, lovely characters.  :smile:

I have just started reading The Piano Teacher by Elfriede Jelinek.

Bizarre story but so well written. Several of the passages have made me uncomfortable, not so much because of the topic but because of the richness of the writing.

When my reading mojo fell into a slump I decided on keeping the engine ticking over by reading an old favourite, Magyk by Angie Sage. From there I have been making my way (rapidly) through the rest of her wonderful Septimus Heap series, having devoured Flyte, Physik, Queste, and Syren.

I am now reading Darke, and by the weekend I will have started and finished the final book in the series, Fyre. I love, love, LOVE this series. So much detail, great stories, lovely characters.  :smile:

That sounds great :)! I recently purchased a couple of books in this series when I saw them cheaply. I just have to save up and buy the missing volumes now. But I'm not allowed to order any books online for the next while, because I've bought a lot in the past few months.

I'm currently reading Chrissie Manby - A Fairy Tale for Christmas. It's good so far, but I'm not that far into it yet. It's nice to read something Christmas themed, with Christmas coming up.

Did a bit of reading over the weekend even if it was from a few different books.

Finished Dashing through the Snow - Debbie Macomber.  Moved on to a Cornish Christmas - Lily Graham.  Also reading Me Before You - JoJo Moyes loving this one.

My reading has been slooow lately. Finally managed to get through Death Descends on Saturn Villa - as poor as I was warned. I have downloaded the fourth book (it was on offer at 99p earlier this year) so will read eventually, and hope the series picks up again, but what a let down. 

I am halfway through Summer Lightning by PG Wodehouse for the ECC challenge and while it was slow to start with I am getting on now. It reminds me a bit of a soap opera to be honest!

Couldn't sleep last night, so have raced through The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver in next to no time at all. Thought it was very good, definitely a cut above for the crime thriller/police procedural genre. Almost tempted to just go straight on and start the next one in the series, but we'll see.

Edited by Ben

Also reading Me Before You - JoJo Moyes loving this one.

Loved this book. Glad you are enjoying it!

My reading has been slooow lately. Finally managed to get through Death Descends on Saturn Villa - as poor as I was warned. I have downloaded the fourth book (it was on offer at 99p earlier this year) so will read eventually, and hope the series picks up again, but what a let down.

Yeah, it was very disappointing....put me off the rest of the series. :o

I finished Reamde by Neal Stephenson. Very long but also very good! Now I'm reading More Than This by Patrick Ness. It's a bit strange, but very readable.

I finished Reamde by Neal Stephenson. Very long but also very good! Now I'm reading More Than This by Patrick Ness. It's a bit strange, but very readable.

I'm glad to hear you liked Reamde (for some reason I keep mispelling it as Readme from time to time). I've got More Than This on my TBR, I look forward to hear what you think once you've finished it. I'm glad to hear it's readable. I've only read A Monster Calls by the author, so far. I loved that one, though, but from what I've heard More Than This is quite different.

I'm making good progress in Chrissie Manby - A Fairy Tale for Christmas, I'm enjoying it even if a couple of things are predictable. It's not as good (so far) as my favourite books by her but it's definitely enjoyable, and festive.

Started Jeffery Deaver's The Empty Chair last night, after being blown away by The Coffin Dancer. Perhaps inevitably, this one isn't grabbing me as much as the second - or even first - book in the series. Saying that, it's Deaver, so I imagine it'll pick up and there'll be more to it.

Last Friday I finished The Long War, which was pretty good, even though it was a bit difficult to remember what had happened in the previous book (even with the help of Wikipedia) and started Revolution by Russell Brand.

I also finished my long running read of Emma on kindle. I'm not sure Austen is my bag. :(

Have you read anything else by Jane Austen? I have read two of her most popular novels and didn't like either. I am hoping I enjoy something of hers.

Just finished The Partner by John Grisham. I liked it but didn't really understand the ending so will have to probably look that up.

Also nearly done with Sweet Temptation by Lucy Diamond. This is my first book by this author and she's written some really great characters in this one. Lauren is a bit hard to get on with at first but am warming to her towards the end. This is going to be a high rating from me.

I'm reading 3 books atm.

Game of Queens is about the women who ruled the Sixteenth Century Europe. (73%)

Millennium is about the changes in civilization by centuries, from the year 1000. (31%, I just gave this to my mom as an early Christmas present. We're going to read it together)

The Holy Thief is a crime novel set in Stalinist Russia (47%).

Enjoying all of them, and hopefully will have time for one more in December! This is the most reading I've done since August!