Your Book Activity - December 2016

Athena

It's December already! The last month of 2016.

I haven't been reading any books lately, but today I plan to finish off a magazine that I borrowed from the library. Then tomorrow (Friday), I will start read-a-thon-ing by reading my library loans. I'm also busy with some cataloguing in Book Collector from time to time.

What's your book activity?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 80 pages into The Santa Klaus Murder by Mavis Doriel Hay, and am liking it a lot so far.  Similar in style to Agatha Christie, there's a country house, a lot of posh people, a dead body in the study, and no-one likes anyone else, so they're all under suspicion.  Awesome.  :lol:

I had a terrible reading month in November. I didn't finish a single book. :( 

To try and dig myself out of my slump (and catch up on my Goodreads challenge), I've started an Agatha Christie book, Mrs McGinty's Dead. I've chosen this because it was alluded to several times in a play I recently stage managed (actually, it was the movie version, Murder Most Foul, that was referenced).

I'm still struggling to get through a book, but am now 20% into Game of Queens by Sarah Gristwood. It just came out on the 27th- somewhere around there. It's good, about the women who ruled the 16th century.

Can't believe it's December.

I have just started reading The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. It's only 88 pages so shouldn't take me too long. I've decided to concentrate on shorter works for now. :)

I'm 80 pages into The Santa Klaus Murder by Mavis Doriel Hay, and am liking it a lot so far.  Similar in style to Agatha Christie, there's a country house, a lot of posh people, a dead body in the study, and no-one likes anyone else, so they're all under suspicion.  Awesome.   :lol:

My cousin bought me that in November - I must read it soon. 

I had a terrible reading month in November. I didn't finish a single book. :(

To try and dig myself out of my slump (and catch up on my Goodreads challenge), I've started an Agatha Christie book, Mrs McGinty's Dead. I've chosen this because it was alluded to several times in a play I recently stage managed (actually, it was the movie version, Murder Most Foul, that was referenced).

Peter and I listened to it this year and enjoyed it - hope you do too.  :)

I'm halfway through Cogheart by Peter Bunzl now and it's great!  I think my reading might be picking up again :smile2:

I still haven't got round to that!

I'm currently reading The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton for book club.   I'm really enjoying it - not sure why I put it off for so long really! 

The Miniaturist is on my TBR as well, but I have been putting it off!

I am 25% through Death Descends on Saturn Villa. I was nervous because people have said this is a let down, and I am already not enjoying it as much as the first two. :(

In other news, I have ALMOST finished Middlesex.  Faaaaaantastico.  10/10 would recommend.

I'm totally thrilled about this! :exc: Wuppiduuu! :D So pleased you liked it so much!!

I'm currently reading The Real Liddy James by Anne-Marie Casey and I'm really liking it.

I'm currently reading The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton for book club.   I'm really enjoying it - not sure why I put it off for so long really! 

I have this on my Kindle, but I keep putting it off. I'd like to read it soon, but I don't want to be disappointed. :o

I am 25% through Death Descends on Saturn Villa. I was nervous because people have said this is a let down, and I am already not enjoying it as much as the first two. :(

I'm one of those who really did not like it. I was so disappointed, to the point where I don't think I will continue with the series.

I'm still reading Readme, and still have David Copperfield to be finished. :readingtwo:

Last night I bought More Than This by Patrick Ness...only £0.98. :boogie:

I'm totally thrilled about this! :exc: Wuppiduuu! :D So pleased you liked it so much!!

I am too!  It's one of my favourite reads of the year.  I'm just cross with myself that I left it sitting unread on my bookshelf for so long.  Can you believe that I originally bought the book when it was first published?!   :lol:

Edited by Onion Budgie

I am too!  It's one of my favourite reads of the year.  I'm just cross with myself that I left it sitting unread on my bookshelf for so long.  Can you believe that I originally bought the book when it was first published?!   :lol:

I had to check... So you've had it on your TBR pile since 2002??! :D :D Oh but well... you were now in the right mood and mindset to read it and thus loved it! :smile2: Better late than never...! 

I haven't done much reading in the last couple of days. I was up at 3.30am yesterday to get into work for stocktaking. We didn't finish until 5pm and then I took the dog out and went shopping, so I was just exhausted. Then I went to bed late, woke up at 6.30am, then fell asleep again at 9am and woke up at 1pm, and now I feel almost jetlagged. :doh:  I hate sleeping odd hours....makes me feel so out of sorts. :o But....the day isn't over yet so hopefully I will get some reading done of Reamde tonight.

I bought Parkland by Vincent Bugliosi today, and also bought The Sheep Look up by John Brunner. The latter I only meant to add to my wishlist, but accidently clicked the 'buy' button instead. :doh: I know I could cancel it, but what the hey....I would have bought it eventually, right? :D

I haven't done much reading in the last couple of days. I was up at 3.30am yesterday to get into work for stocktaking. We didn't finish until 5pm and then I took the dog out and went shopping, so I was just exhausted. Then I went to bed late, woke up at 6.30am, then fell asleep again at 9am and woke up at 1pm, and now I feel almost jetlagged. :doh:  I hate sleeping odd hours....makes me feel so out of sorts. :o But....the day isn't over yet so hopefully I will get some reading done of Reamde tonight.

I hope you feel better soon :(.

Next up for me is one of my library loans, but I haven't decided which one I'm going to read next. They're all due next weekend so I'd better hurry up or decide not to read some of them.

it looks like a lot of us have got the Miniaturist in our to be read pile. don't think I will get round to this until well into next year now.

Working my way through Christmas books onto Twelve Days of Christmas by Debbie Macomber now, it is such an easy read which I like.

Interesting that a bunch of us have The Miniaturist on our TBR piles - me too! (Has also been on there a long time.) Read her new one The Muse this year and thought it was fantastic, so have no clue why I've left her debut waiting all this time.

I'm currently reading Darkness At Noon by Arthur Koestler - another that I've meant to read for as long as I can remember. Very good so far. I'm reading it alongside my #2016ClassicsChallenge pick for December: The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens. I was looking for a wintry-themed book for December and although I've never read it and could be way off the mark, there's something about this (and more generally Dickens) that I associate with this time of the year.

Edited by Ben

Not much reading happening here, I've just started my first proper for many, many years and I am cream crackered! I am, however, enjoying Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave, another WWII novel.

It looks like I'll be ending the year 10 books behind on my Goodreads challenge, oh well, maybe I need to aim to read smaller books next year! :D

I haven't done much reading in the last couple of days. I was up at 3.30am yesterday to get into work for stocktaking. We didn't finish until 5pm and then I took the dog out and went shopping, so I was just exhausted. Then I went to bed late, woke up at 6.30am, then fell asleep again at 9am and woke up at 1pm, and now I feel almost jetlagged. :doh: I hate sleeping odd hours....makes me feel so out of sorts. :o But....the day isn't over yet so hopefully I will get some reading done of Reamde tonight.

I bought Parkland by Vincent Bugliosi today, and also bought The Sheep Look up by John Brunner. The latter I only meant to add to my wishlist, but accidently clicked the 'buy' button instead. :doh: I know I could cancel it, but what the hey....I would have bought it eventually, right? :D

I assume that's Helter Skelter Bugliosi? He's one of my legal heroes :D he was a prosecutor turned defense attorney, who disavowed the death penalty. I got the chance to speak to him before Susan Atkins died. She had only been given a few months to live and was up for parole, he was in support.

Edit: of her parole.

Edited by Anna Begins