Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts
  • Reading now?:1984 and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:41 AM

What are you buying people and what are some gifts you are looking forward to giving?

We are buying a cat tree for Santa to leave :P I think my most anticipated gift is for my mom, actually. It's called a chunky knit blanket (google, really, you must see).

Anyway, we did some shopping today and it got me wondering what everyone is giving.

#2 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,893 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:48 AM

Haven't a notion. People better give me suggestions or they're not getting anything, coz I have no idea what to get anyone :lol:

#3 MrCat

MrCat

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Reading now?:Of course

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:07 AM

I suck when it comes to gifts. I know books are excellent gifts for certain people but I can't just buy everyone the same thing. Winter related stuff works too, like gloves and hats and stuff. 

I usually buy my dad a bottle of his favourite brandy and a perfume for mom. I know they are pleased with whatever I get them but why not get them something they will actually enjoy? They pay attention to what I like too since last year I received an awesome Chinese tea set. 

#4 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

I don't have that many people to buy for these days, as most of my closer relatives are six feet under.  (I didn't murder them.  Not all of them, anyway.)  

I've bought my father a Bluetooth headset for him to use in the car.  It's what he asked for, and I'm clueless about Bluetooth, so I hope I got him one that does everything he wants it to/sits comfortably on his huge ear/lasts longer than five minutes before breaking.

In return, he'll be buying me a crystal skull or two, as I collect them.  Crystal skulls are a bit like Pringles.  Once you pop, you just can't stop.  My home is full of them.  

For friends, I've bought gifts such as glassware, themed bookmark sets, beauty products, etc.

The budgie birds are getting a banana leaf swing ball.  It will either delight or absolutely terrify them, I'm not sure which yet.

#5 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

There is only hubby and myself so anything that we want we buy when we want it so come Christmas I can never think of anything.  So in our cards we put an IOU which say when you think of something let me know.

#6 Little Pixie

Little Pixie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,623 posts
  • Reading now?:A risky way to kill - Richard Lockridge

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:37 PM

We are buying a cat tree for Santa to leave :P 

I need to see pics !  :D

I`m considering buying someone this for Xmas. :)

#7 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:07 PM

I'm getting one set of grands a karaoke machine (ages 1.5 and 6 and they LOVE singing!) and one toy a piece. The other set of grands I will break it down to one gift for the boys (8, 6 and 4) and one for the girls (3 and 2). Or I may just give them gift cards and let them pick out their own gift. They LOVE gift cards! My mom already got them a karaoke machine a few weeks ago. I will probably give hubby a new pajama set to include robe and slippers and I have a sister in law who makes jewelry so she'll be making my mother and our mother in law a necklace/earring set.

#8 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,257 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:12 PM

In return, he'll be buying me a crystal skull or two, as I collect them.  Crystal skulls are a bit like Pringles.  Once you pop, you just can't stop.  My home is full of them.  

It's unusual to meet someone else who even knows what crystal skulls are. We have quite a few ourselves which we have amassed over the years. My favourite is probably my shattukite one which looks a little bit like turquoise.

I find though that you tend to get different reactions to them - some are fascinated by them, where others find them really spooky and are actually afraid of them. I remember once taking one to France through the airport X-ray machines - the look on the woman's face who was operating the machines was a picture, as when she saw it on the screen she was looking at she thought it was a baby's skull or something ! She probably thought I was a black witch or something ! 

#9 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

It's unusual to meet someone else who even knows what crystal skulls are. We have quite a few ourselves which we have amassed over the years. My favourite is probably my shattukite one which looks a little bit like turquoise.

I find though that you tend to get different reactions to them - some are fascinated by them, where others find them really spooky and are actually afraid of them. I remember once taking one to France through the airport X-ray machines - the look on the woman's face who was operating the machines was a picture, as when she saw it on the screen she was looking at she thought it was a baby's skull or something ! She probably thought I was a black witch or something ! 

Yes, a lot of people are a little freaked out by them.  I'm a bit of a crystal nut in general, though, and have loved skulls from a young age, so the combination is a wondrous thing altogether.  My favourite is a rose quartz about the size of a lemon, named Lily the Pink.  She has such a loving, warm, happy energy to her.  (Shattukite is one crystal I'm not familiar with, btw.  I shall have to research it, and see what it looks like.)

#10 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationNear Milton Keynes, UK

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:31 PM

My wife and I took the decision a few years ago to not buy pressies at xmas - we still do birthday gifts but neither of us enjoy the commercial side of xmas and we buy each other things at other times anyway. Last year she and her daughter helped out at a winter shelter for the homeless and I chose a few animal charities in the local area and donated there.

#11 Lau_Lou

Lau_Lou

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Reading now?:The Haunted Man Charles Dickens

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

I don't have that many people to buy for these days, as most of my closer relatives are six feet under.  (I didn't murder them.  Not all of them, anyway.

This made me chuckle!

I love buying gifts for people but I agree it is difficult to know what to get people. Especially men they end up getting the same every year. Well I always get them a body wash set as is tradition now after my brother mentioned I always did it.

Still I know everybody is grateful for what they recieve.

#12 Brian.

Brian.

This too shall pass

• Supporter
  • 1,961 posts
  • Reading now?:Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
  • LocationSE England

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:08 AM

I come from a large family and Christmas was always an expensive occasion. I knew that it was causing stress to people including me so a few years ago I brought the subject up and suggested we do a family 'secret santa' for all the adults. At the time it felt awkward bringing the subject up but everyone was so relieved. Now, everyone's name goes in a hat in November and we each draw a name out. We buy a gift for that person with a maximum value of £20 (no giftcards etc allowed). Everyone is guaranteed a surprise because you have no idea who is buying a gift for you and because of the limit the gifts are often a lot more thoughtful than they were when we were spending more on each other.

This simple solution has made Christmas more enjoyable for us and increasingly I see more and more people doing this kind of thing.

#13 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,056 posts
  • Reading now?:A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor & End of the Roadie by Elizabeth Flynn
  • LocationSE England

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

That's a great idea Brian, glad it's worked out.

#14 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

I need to see pics !  :D

I`m considering buying someone this for Xmas. :)

Wow! Some kitty is going to be very happy come Christmas morning :) I can't do a link on my Fire, but it's got 3 levels and a sleeping basket on top with a feather on a string hanging down :D

I admit to going way overboard, but with a child who loves and appreciates everything, it's easy to do! I've also had fun shopping for my mom this year. We're such a small family (3 of us) and she's been bed ridden for three years, practically, so has missed the last three Christmas.

Stocking stuffers are my favorite and this year for my daughter (who is obsessed with Japanese culture), are 8 mini Kit Kat chocolate bars from Japan in crazy flavors like "soy". Eww- gross! :P

#15 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

I come from a large family and Christmas was always an expensive occasion. I knew that it was causing stress to people including me so a few years ago I brought the subject up and suggested we do a family 'secret santa' for all the adults. At the time it felt awkward bringing the subject up but everyone was so relieved. Now, everyone's name goes in a hat in November and we each draw a name out. We buy a gift for that person with a maximum value of £20 (no giftcards etc allowed). Everyone is guaranteed a surprise because you have no idea who is buying a gift for you and because of the limit the gifts are often a lot more thoughtful than they were when we were spending more on each other.

This simple solution has made Christmas more enjoyable for us and increasingly I see more and more people doing this kind of thing.

This is such a great idea! Honestly, unless you see something specific for an adult family member, I don't know why adults exchange such expensive gifts.

#16 Little Pixie

Little Pixie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,623 posts
  • Reading now?:A risky way to kill - Richard Lockridge

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

Wow! Some kitty is going to be very happy come Christmas morning :) I can't do a link on my Fire, but it's got 3 levels and a sleeping basket on top with a feather on a string hanging down :D

I admit to going way overboard, but with a child who loves and appreciates everything, it's easy to do! I've also had fun shopping for my mom this year. We're such a small family (3 of us) and she's been bed ridden for three years, practically, so has missed the last three Christmas.

Stocking stuffers are my favorite and this year for my daughter (who is obsessed with Japanese culture), are 8 mini Kit Kat chocolate bars from Japan in crazy flavors like "soy". Eww- gross! :P

That sounds similar to the kitty activity centre I ordered. :D

Sorry that your Mum`s unwell.  :console:

How old`s your daughter ? I read this recently and it`s absolutely engrossing. :)  Also, - ewwww !!  :wacko:

#17 Lau_Lou

Lau_Lou

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Reading now?:The Haunted Man Charles Dickens

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:05 PM

My wife and I took the decision a few years ago to not buy pressies at xmas - we still do birthday gifts but neither of us enjoy the commercial side of xmas and we buy each other things at other times anyway. Last year she and her daughter helped out at a winter shelter for the homeless and I chose a few animal charities in the local area and donated there.

This is such a lovely idea!

I couldn't not buy for my family and friends though. But it is an eye opener to give something to those less fortunate.

#18 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,257 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

I couldn't not buy for my family and friends though. But it is an eye opener to give something to those less fortunate.

Definitely, which in a way when I worked at the nursing home I didn't mind having to work on Christmas Day. Of course I don't have to do that anymore, which I am also thankful for. My family have never really bothered with gifts, apart from when my brothers kids were little. I just have one present to get for my sister, and a cheque to send to Coran's sister, which we usually do to try and help her out, as she has had a real tough time these past few years.

#19 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

That sounds similar to the kitty activity centre I ordered. :D

Sorry that your Mum`s unwell.  :console:

How old`s your daughter ? I read this recently and it`s absolutely engrossing. :)  Also, - ewwww !!  :wacko:

8 :D Constantly on her IPad playing Minecraft! (Santa gift last year) This year (sticking with the theme lol), I'm getting her a Kindle.

#20 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationNear Milton Keynes, UK

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

It only really works if you let everyone else know you won't be buying and don't expect anything back. My Dad started it off a few years ago and it made sense. "Why accumulate more stuff you don't need" at his age I guess is what triggered it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users