Sci Fi/ Adventure recommendations

What about The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers? This is set aboard a spaceship and involves travel between different planets. It's also an easy read and I think a very soft introduction into science-fiction.

I was going to suggest this, but thought you or Gaia should :P

Hey poppy! 

I know you asked for a book series, but given this genre, I've never read a series... But if at some point you'd like to recommend a standalone, I would recommend The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. I don't read spacey sci-fi but I really really liked this one :smile2: 

Also,I have friends who love warhammer 40,000 books.

What about The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers? This is set aboard a spaceship and involves travel between different planets. It's also an easy read and I think a very soft introduction into science-fiction.

Hey poppy! 

I know you asked for a book series, but given this genre, I've never read a series... But if at some point you'd like to recommend a standalone, I would recommend The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. I don't read spacey sci-fi but I really really liked this one :smile2:

Thanks guys for all your help! He's going to be spoiled for choice :D

Anything by Jack Vance.

His  Demon Princes series (5 novels) have lots of zipping about in space ships to different planets and having adventures, as has the Araminta Station series and the Alastor Cluster books .

The Planet of Adventure series (4 books) is set on one planet with 4 different alien races and their human slaves on it. 

All of these are good reading.

Edited by vodkafan

Anything by Jack Vance.

His  Demon Princes series (5 novels) have lots of zipping about in space ships to different planets and having adventures, as has the Araminta Station series and the Alastor Cluster books .

The Planet of Adventure series (4 books) is set on one planet with 4 different alien races and their human slaves on it. 

All of these are good reading.

Thanks VF. They sound excellent! :friends0:

Son Sam, says to thank you all very much for your recommendations. He's got them all for future reference. He's gone with Karsa's suggestion of A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge, has read three chapters and says it's exactly what he was looking for. He meant to add that he would like a degree of fantasy and alien races in the story and this book fits the bill beautifully! :D 

Awesome, I love that book, it's so much fun :D   The first hundred pages made my head spin, so if he's enjoying it already he'll hopefully enjoy it all the way through.  Fingers crossed!  :smile:

He's finding it pretty mind-blowing so far, Karsa :D Thanks so much again. :friends3: