Val McDermid

Inver

Although I've never read any of her books, hubby and I had the opportunity to go and hear her at our local cinema. She was great to listen to, very humorous and spoke about how her career all started and where she got her taste for writing crime novels etc.

What made it more interesting is she is from my home town Kirkcaldy, Fife, and she was talking about when she was wee going to the central library in the town and it made me smile knowing exactly where it was.... :smile:

Anyone like her books? We have one on our shelves that hubby has read so I must get around to reading it.

I've read a lot of Val Mcdermid's books, and have really enjoyed them. She is a good storyteller who doesn't shy away from the crimes she is describing. At times graphic, she is also skilled at the psychological aspects of crime, especially murder. 

Over the years I have seen/heard her in a number of interviews and think she is funny, engaging, super smart, and someone with whom I would love to share an evening.  :smile:  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have just joined ,so have only just seen this post ,I am a great fan of Val Mcdermid I have just finished reading "Killing The Shadows",which I couldn't put down,I would have love to have gone to hear her speaking about her life as a writer lucky you ,

• 2 years later...

I read one of her books, Broken Ground. She seems to be an equal opportunities crime writer. The goodies may be male or female; so might the baddies, whether they be the right side of the law or not. Unfortunately she's an SNP supporter so I won't read any more of her stuff.

1 hour ago, KEV67 said:

I read one of her books, Broken Ground. She seems to be an equal opportunities crime writer. The goodies may be male or female; so might the baddies, whether they be the right side of the law or not. Unfortunately she's an SNP supporter so I won't read any more of her stuff.

Seems an odd basis on which to choose one's reading, but I suppose no worse than choosing to read a book because  it's cover  picture catches one's eye.