What's Up in November 2016?

Athena

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God what a day I have had. My partner went into hospital this morning for a routine operaiton to repair a hiatus hernia and is tonight in the high dependecy unit. I spent most of the afternoon trying in vain to find out why with no one in the hospital it seemed willing to communicate with me or tell me why. In desperation I left work early and drove to the hospital to try and get some answers. Finally the surgeon rang me by which time I was I felt like I was in shock. The mind was imagining all sorts of things. Even the nurse I spoke to at the HDU said she thought it was wrong the way they had treated me, but what can you do? The main thing is that Coran is okay. I will have to ring again in the morning to see whether they are going to transfer her to a normal ward and hopefully get an indication of when she can come home. Thankfully I had tomorrow off as holiday anyway as there is no way I would feel like going in to work after a scare like that.   

I managed to speak to her on the HDU this morning. She was very drowsy when I saw her yesterday of course from the anesthetic, but is much better today now it has worn off. The staff there really are brilliant. To be honest, I was such a state yesterday when I finally did speak to the surgeon that I didn't really take on what was being said. It seems though that during the operation, too much pressure built up in the chest, causing a lung to collapse. They had to insert a chest drain then to relieve the pressure of the gas and fluid that leaked into the chest cavity which is still in place. They will check that this morning and do an Xray before making a decision as to whether to transfer her to a different ward or send her home. Visiting is at 11am, by which time they should have made their assessment, so I will go to the hospital and hopefully they can tell us both some more then.

I am though really not happy about the fact that they didn't inform me of this until almost 4pm yesterday, by which time I was at the hospital myself. There probably isn't very much I can do about that though unfortunately, as what's done is done.

Thank you. She is on the mend. I went to see her this morning and she was sitting up in bed much more like her usual self, but still a bit shaky, which is understandable. It was a punctured lung, but they are keeping a good eye on her and the staff on the unit have been brilliant to both of us. The Doctor came round while I was there and he said that she could go home today if she wished, but the staff nurse thought it best to keep her in for one more night just to be on the safe side. This seemed sensible to me as well, so this is what we have agreed. I will go and see her again then a bit later on for evening visiting and hopefully tomorrow morning she should be okay to come home. It was all a bit dramatic though !       

Thank you. She is on the mend. I went to see her this morning and she was sitting up in bed much more like her usual self, but still a bit shaky, which is understandable. It was a punctured lung, but they are keeping a good eye on her and the staff on the unit have been brilliant to both of us. The Doctor came round while I was there and he said that she could go home today if she wished, but the staff nurse thought it best to keep her in for one more night just to be on the safe side. This seemed sensible to me as well, so this is what we have agreed. I will go and see her again then a bit later on for evening visiting and hopefully tomorrow morning she should be okay to come home. It was all a bit dramatic though !       

Glad she`s on the mend. :) But still - yikes ! :o

Edited by Little Pixie

Much good speedy recovery vibes to Coran, Talisman!

All my thanks and appreciation today go to veterans past, present and future, which includes my ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary, Civil, World and Korean wars. 

I have just shy of 1 month left at my current job so hopefully something will turn up sooner rather than later.  It will be a strange observance of my 17th anniversary at the company knowing that the following day is my last.  I have faith and am positive that things will turn out, though :D.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

I am sure that things will indeed turn out well Peacefield - they usually do.

On that note, I am pleased to report that Coran is home. The hospital rang about 2pm yesterday to say that she was dressed and waiting for me, so I jumped straight in the car. The staff in that place (and I am sure all hospitals) really are amazing and earn every single penny that they get. The way our Government treats people like them really is a disgrace.

Coran is though up and about. She has to wear some rather sexy looking support stockings for the time being in case of DVT's and the dressings on her wounds will need changing in a day or so. There is a little bit of soreness, but that will pass. The main thing is that she is home.  

The South Island of New Zealand has been hit by a very large 7.5 earthquake. It lasted about 2 minutes, has caused a lot of damage to some areas and triggered tsunamis. Some areas are still cut off and we continue to get aftershocks. All OK here but biggest and by far the longest earthquake I've experienced.

The South Island of New Zealand has been hit by a very large 7.5 earthquake. It lasted about 2 minutes, has caused a lot of damage to some areas and triggered tsunamis. Some areas are still cut off and we continue to get aftershocks. All OK here but biggest and by far the longest earthquake I've experienced.

So very glad that you and yours are OK. I just hope that recovery is rapid, and this is the last one to be experienced. Stay safe.  :friends0:

So very glad that you and yours are OK. I just hope that recovery is rapid, and this is the last one to be experienced. Stay safe.  :friends0:

Thanks Chrissy. There's still a lot of quite severe aftershocks, but most we don't feel here. One town, Kaikoura, is cut off with slips and could take days to clear. A lot of tourists are in that area so poor things are wondering what the heck has struck them and when they'll be able to get out. But thankfully only two fatalities.

Thanks Chrissy. There's still a lot of quite severe aftershocks, but most we don't feel here. One town, Kaikoura, is cut off with slips and could take days to clear. A lot of tourists are in that area so poor things are wondering what the heck has struck them and when they'll be able to get out. But thankfully only two fatalities.

It looks so scary on the news. Stay safe !   :hide:

Where are you Poppy? I'm in Palmy North and it was huge here. Hate to think what it felt like in Kaikoura. 

It looks so scary on the news. Stay safe !   :hide:

Best and warmest wishes to all our NZ friends. Stay safe.  :friends0:

Thanks so much Little Pixie and Chrissy :flowers2:  Will endeavour to do so! :D

Where are you Poppy? I'm in Palmy North and it was huge here. Hate to think what it felt like in Kaikoura. 

I'm between Nelson and Motueka, Bookmonkey. Not too much damage here, things falling off supermarket shelves and some power lines exploded in Nelson putting the power out to parts. The schools were all shut yesterday while they checked for structural damage, but this area got off lightly. There was a worry about tsunamis earlier, especially with the supermoon and king tides, but the danger is over now. I've been watching GeoNet and the number of large aftershocks is unbelievable! Read they're taking navy ships into Kaikoura tomorrow and helicoptors are bringing in supplies and flying some people out.

I'm between Nelson and Motueka, Bookmonkey. Not too much damage here, things falling off supermarket shelves and some power lines exploded in Nelson putting the power out to parts. The schools were all shut yesterday while they checked for structural damage, but this area got off lightly. There was a worry about tsunamis earlier, especially with the supermoon and king tides, but the danger is over now. I've been watching GeoNet and the number of large aftershocks is unbelievable! Read they're taking navy ships into Kaikoura tomorrow and helicoptors are bringing in supplies and flying some people out.

The biggest earthquake I`ve been in was a 5.1 - Yours was...... 800 times bigger ?! :o

Hurray that the cows have been rescued.  :blush2:  Click.

Edited by Little Pixie

You're a lot closer than me.  Yesterday I discovered there is slight damage to my house.  It's an old ex-Housing NZ house, so I'm worried there may be more we can't see.

I read today that the US and Aussie Navies are also sending ships.  The relief effort has been amazing.

The last 6 weeks or so have been utterly insane work wise, I have had almost no time for anything else. By the time next Monday comes around I will have had 3 days off in 22, only 2 if them at home and all 3 on call. I've only managed to make it into the city of Barcelona a few times although I am hoping to make it to a football match this weekend. So far I have been out here working on my own but on Friday I will have a collegue for the rest of my time here which will mean I can have a decent amount of time off. I will have to agree some kind of shift pattern with him but anything is better than what I am having to do at the moment.

In truth I am missing my old job and I am looking forward to the end of March when I will be able to sit down and decide if I want to continue with this or go back to the old job.

Hurray that the cows have been rescued.  :blush2:  Click.

Not only the cows, sea life is being rescued where the seabed has been lifted by the quake :D (paua are abalone).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-earthquake/86476242/divers-and-volunteers-band-together-to-save-stranded-shellfish-and-sea-life

You're a lot closer than me.  Yesterday I discovered there is slight damage to my house.  It's an old ex-Housing NZ house, so I'm worried there may be more we can't see.

I read today that the US and Aussie Navies are also sending ships.  The relief effort has been amazing.

Do hope you don't find there's any more damage Bookmonkey. They built the Housing NZ houses pretty sturdily, so fingers crossed for you :hug: