What's Up in November 2016?

Athena

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a year it has been ! I can imagine the look on my colleagues face though when he realises he has got to answer to me. He has been walking around like the cat that got the cream all week, but he won't be by Monday!

Edited by Talisman

I have some great news to report - the Department Head came on the radio (we use walkie talkies where I work) about 12 noon to ask where I was and came over to see me and offered me the Cleaning Supervisor job.        

Oh wow!  Fantastic news.  I'm so glad things have worked out for you!

Sorry I haven't been around as much over the last few weeks; things are super busy at work and by the time I get home in the evenings I barely have enough energy left to drag myself into bed let alone do anything else.  This weekend has been a bit of a nightmare too - Friday evening I inadvertently walked into my wooden (and very solid) bed frame meaning I have one hell of a bruise and a rather large lump on my left leg just below my knee.  Ouch!  Then Saturday I woke up feeling really ill so had a lazy day, only to drop a bottle of shampoo down the back of a chest of drawers which was too heavy for me to move on my own, so I did the only thing I could and shoved my arm behind it (even though there wasn't really enough room) and have subsequently scraped/bruised my entire right arm, from the elbow down.  I also somehow managed to take a chunk of skin out of one of my fingers in the process too so double ouch.  On the plus side I did manage to rescue the bottle of shampoo so silver linings and all that!  Slept terribly last night, barely got a wink of sleep, and now I am loaded with the cold.  So overall, this weekend has been a bit of a disaster!

Oh and my reading has come to a complete standstill again, but I've decided to embrace it and use the time I would normally be reading to catch up on alll my favourite TV shows!

Hope everyone else has had/is having a better weekend than mine!

Edited by Autumn

Yes, I hope you feel better soon Autumn, you need to be careful I think and look after yourself.

As for me, my first day as a Manager went well with many congratulations from both clients and staff. News tends to travel fast in a place like this. Of course the other cleaner that I work with was not happy, but I didn't really expect anything else. He has spent most of his 6 years there complaining about the place and saying that he wants to leave, and I was informed by at least one person that he had been doing that this morning after he heard the news. So at lunch time I went and found him and asked him what he felt about things. He informed me just as he had said to others that he was not happy, so I told him that was a shame, as I had hoped we could put our differences behind us and start afresh, but as he was clearly not prepared to do that he was free to resign. I went on to say that if he had not done that by the end of the week (which I know he won't) then I would assume that he had changed his mind and he was prepared to work with me, and get on with the job, and if he did that then he would see that I was and am a fair and reasonable person. Well, you have to start as you mean to go on. I told my own new boss that I had done this, and he said I had done absolutely the right thing. I am quite proud of myself actually in the way that I handled that.

Hope you feel better soon Autumn, I've done that to my leg on a metal bed frame and it hurts!

It certainly does.  I may have turned the air blue with a few choice words!

Autumn, I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:!! It sounds painful.

Thanks.

I am quite proud of myself actually in the way that I handled that.

Sounds like you definitely did the right thing.  It's always better to be the bigger person and now the ball is in his court so to speak.  Regardless of what happens next at least you know that you have done everything you can to try and keep things civil by offering to start afresh.

June, I am SO happy for you! I always knew you'd finally be given the respect and credit you deserve for doing what you do! What a wonderful Christmas present!!!

I'm sitting here procrastinating once again. I've got one last paper to do for my philosophy class which is due on Thursday. I finally decided on which dead long winded git I"m going to write on, John Locke, simply because he's the least asinine of the group, Hume, Kan, Leibniz...Can you tell how fed up I am with this class? Thank God my final is on 5 December! 

I took a lab exam week before last. It was like musical chairs. We had 1.5 minutes to name the dissected parts of frogs, crawfish and starfish. There were 30 stations and we had to follow the arrow, label the parts (1-3) and move to the next She mixed them up so that your brain had to move from the frog to the starfish to the crawfish, to the starfish to the frog, so that you really had to know your stuff. I knew my stuff. Aced it!! Today we each had to do presentations to present to the class. Mine was on the Chesapeake Bay Renewal Program in Virginia. I passed that one with flying colors. No more lab for me! I take my final biology exam next week. Next week I'll be a graduate and I am so happy!!!

Hubby set up the tree and I decorated it this afternoon. Its put me in a better holiday mood. I was about to feel sorry for myself what with all my kids and grands being away from home but I'm getting used to it and can be happy even though I miss them all.

As for me, my first day as a Manager went well with many congratulations from both clients and staff. News tends to travel fast in a place like this. Of course the other cleaner that I work with was not happy, but I didn't really expect anything else. He has spent most of his 6 years there complaining about the place and saying that he wants to leave, and I was informed by at least one person that he had been doing that this morning after he heard the news. So at lunch time I went and found him and asked him what he felt about things. He informed me just as he had said to others that he was not happy, so I told him that was a shame, as I had hoped we could put our differences behind us and start afresh, but as he was clearly not prepared to do that he was free to resign. I went on to say that if he had not done that by the end of the week (which I know he won't) then I would assume that he had changed his mind and he was prepared to work with me, and get on with the job, and if he did that then he would see that I was and am a fair and reasonable person. Well, you have to start as you mean to go on. I told my own new boss that I had done this, and he said I had done absolutely the right thing. I am quite proud of myself actually in the way that I handled that.

I think you have done the right thing, well done :)!

I took a lab exam week before last. It was like musical chairs. We had 1.5 minutes to name the dissected parts of frogs, crawfish and starfish. There were 30 stations and we had to follow the arrow, label the parts (1-3) and move to the next She mixed them up so that your brain had to move from the frog to the starfish to the crawfish, to the starfish to the frog, so that you really had to know your stuff. I knew my stuff. Aced it!! Today we each had to do presentations to present to the class. Mine was on the Chesapeake Bay Renewal Program in Virginia. I passed that one with flying colors. No more lab for me! I take my final biology exam next week. Next week I'll be a graduate and I am so happy!!!

Hubby set up the tree and I decorated it this afternoon. Its put me in a better holiday mood. I was about to feel sorry for myself what with all my kids and grands being away from home but I'm getting used to it and can be happy even though I miss them all.

Good luck with 'the final things-to-do' (there really is no easy translation for 'de laatste loodjes'). Well done on passing your lab!

I hope you have a nice Christmas :).

Last weekend we went shopping for Christmas decorations but only bought one thing for ourselves. We did buy birthday gifts for two people though, so I'm happy about that.

It's freezing outside here and got quite cold in the past few days. Some of the water of the animals was frozen. It's still a bit cold inside here though two heaters are trying their best. I guess it will be a bit better in a few hours once they're more warmed up. Yesterday we had meat stew on the heater (with potatoes, carrot, parsnip and tomatoes), we ate it for dinner. It was quite nice.

Off to Bath on Thursday to see the Christmas market and to do some shopping. 

Went last year and it was so lovely to see all the chalets selling home made things.  Also went on the Bath Abbey Tower tour, wow was that an experience you need to be fit to climb the narrow stone spiral staircase but once you are at the top the views are amazing.

Went last year and it was so lovely to see all the chalets selling home made things.  Also went on the Bath Abbey Tower tour, wow was that an experience you need to be fit to climb the narrow stone spiral staircase but once you are at the top the views are amazing.

I wish you lots of fun :)!

I got paid 250 euro less for November than October.

Presumably something to do with the tax credits that they said were all in order when I explicitly asked them last month if my October pay would be correct.

But that's okay, it's not like I'm going on my first break away in over a year next week, or like Christmas is two weeks after that.

Who needs their income to be stable from month to month?

Not me, clearly!

It's freezing outside here and got quite cold in the past few days. Some of the water of the animals was frozen. It's still a bit cold inside here though two heaters are trying their best. I guess it will be a bit better in a few hours once they're more warmed up. Yesterday we had meat stew on the heater (with potatoes, carrot, parsnip and tomatoes), we ate it for dinner. It was quite nice.

Eep ! It`s been -6, -7C here overnight,  and there was a bowl of water frozen on our balcony. It seems like it was Summer just a few weeks ago.  :blink:

Virginia - good luck with your final exam !  :doowapstart:

Noll - Boo at the money issues. :(

Edited by Little Pixie

Sounds like you definitely did the right thing.  It's always better to be the bigger person and now the ball is in his court so to speak.  Regardless of what happens next at least you know that you have done everything you can to try and keep things civil by offering to start afresh.

I wouldn't disagree with that. At the end of the day though, you can lead a horse to water but cannot make it drink. Apparently he has been walking around the place telling people that he is leaving, but I haven;t heard anything from HR to say that he has resigned, so my offer still stands. If he hasn't done it by the end of the week, then I will have to assume he is going to work with me. Of course I know he won't, but that's all good, as when he starts to complain I can just gently remind him that it was his choice to stay ....

Congrats on the promotion, Talisman. :D

Thank you!

I got paid 250 euro less for November than October.

Presumably something to do with the tax credits that they said were all in order when I explicitly asked them last month if my October pay would be correct.

But that's okay, it's not like I'm going on my first break away in over a year next week, or like Christmas is two weeks after that.

Who needs their income to be stable from month to month?

Not me, clearly!

Hope you manage to get that sorted out, it doesn't sound too brilliant to me.

June, I am SO happy for you! I always knew you'd finally be given the respect and credit you deserve for doing what you do! What a wonderful Christmas present!!!

It certainly will be. My first slightly larger pay check will arrive about a week before Christmas. We are normally paid on 25th of each month, but of course with 25th December being a certain religious festival, they usually do it the week before at this time of year. It means it has to last a little longer, but I will have more than I am used to anyway, so for me it's not a problem at all. I must say that it is nice to finally get the endorsement I have been seeking. It has though made me aware of just how dependant I am on others for approval, which is perhaps not such a good thing and something I need to work on next year.  

Edited by Talisman

We went last week - it was as lovely as usual.  I had a good look around and spotted some things I'll probably buy as gifts, but we got there first thing in the morning and after one trip around the stalls, it was getting far too busy for me, so I'll have to go back again before they close!  Hope you enjoy it :)