What's Up in November 2016?

Athena

It's November already!

Here is my reply to some posts in the What's Up in October 2016? topic.

It's freezing in our office today, the heating must have broken down (again!). I've borrowed a thick cardigan belonging to a colleague who's on leave today, and have it round my shoulders which has helped a bit!

I hope the heating works again soon! It's nice you could borrow that cardigan.

Went to my lab class today unaware (forgot to read the syllabus) that we were doing dissections. On today's menu was crawfish and starfish. Next Monday will be the frog.

Yikes. I once dissected a mussel (was it a mussel? Is that even the right word? Wikipedia says blue mussel) and it made me feel physically very ill to see all its entrails. Gladly we never had to dissect a frog but we did have to dissect a pig's heart or something like that. I told my teacher I really couldn't do it and I think he could tell by the way I looked just before the lesson started, that I was really unwell by just the thought of it. Gladly I didn't have to do it and it was okay for me to just study biology rather than dissect the heart. Good luck! I couldn't do it but hopefully you fare better than me.

The weekend was filled with activity but I feel really accomplished. I don't have to set foot in a store the rest of this month!!! We got a date night in and the house cleaned. I'm a happy camper!

You've had a busy weekend!

Just popping on quckly for a quick update on me :P We are moving house on Wednesday and ive been so busy packing for the last two weeks that I'm totally exhausted. I think its worse that we are only moving across the garden than a normal move as we are having to back not only our stuff but MIL and FIL house up too (that we are moving into!) I'm so tired I've been falling asleep at 8pm most nights so I've hardly been reading at all :( Weve brought a load of furniture for the house now and I'm so pleased that I'm finally going to have some book shelves :)

Good luck with the move :)! I hope you'll feel less tired once it's all done.

I am currently located in my bed with sweeties and a scary movie, and I have zero intention of moving til pretty much tomorrow. Specially since one of my housemates had her friend over this evening - last thing I want right now is to be around people.

I hope you had a nice evening :).

I had a good weekend though, although it was a quiet one. Coran and I went to see the film I, Kevin Blake on Friday, which I strongly recommend to anyone who is interested. I booked another holiday as well, this time to Malta at the end of February. It has been on my wish list for a while, and a few others at work have been there recently and told me how they enjoyed it. I didn't realise until after I had booked it that it will actually be carnival week, so I have definitely chosen the right time to go.

Nice that your collegue wasn't it. I'm glad you had a good weekend. I hope you'll have fun on Malta :)!

As for me, today my sister and her boyfriend are coming by on short notice. She after her work, he doesn't have a job yet so he's coming earlier. I didn't know about it until last night. It kind of makes my planning of the day off, because I had planned to run some errands. There is also a delivery coming for my parents (which I didn't know about either until yesterday) so I'm hoping to be able to run my errands in between the two things, if the delivery doesn't turn up too late (last time it turned up later than they said they would though). It's no one's fault but I don't do well with changes (and the rest of the week already is planned with stuff).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy November everyone! Just a shade under 8 weeks till Christmas, how did that happen?! I've bought a few bits but need to get a bit more organised, though my kids can't really think of much they want, they have so much already!

November is a big month for me as it is my back to work month, it has been nearly 18 years since I had a proper job! I have a accepted a job at a new soft play/mini farm business, I will be helping to run the toy/gift shop there, 3 full days a week, I am very, very excited but also a little scared as to how it is going to go and how I will manage the home, kids and dogs too. I'm just going to go for it and see what happens! :)

Well this month is continuing the same as last month with lots to do around the house.  Having new carpets fitted on the stairs, landing, bathroom and bedroom next week, so this weekend will have to start moving things around a bit. 

I know they said they would move things but lets get a head start.  Then everything needs to be brought out of the loft and sorted through.  Why does everywhere look messy before you start to see the benefits.

I usually find that in order to clean up, one must first make things messier (by getting everything out to sort etc).

I've decided to run my errands tomorrow instead as it's not feasable to do them today. I plan to spend some time with my family this afternoon and evening and to get some rest as well.

Yikes. I once dissected a mussel (was it a mussel? Is that even the right word? Wikipedia says blue mussel) and it made me feel physically very ill to see all its entrails. Gladly we never had to dissect a frog but we did have to dissect a pig's heart or something like that. I told my teacher I really couldn't do it and I think he could tell by the way I looked just before the lesson started, that I was really unwell by just the thought of it. Gladly I didn't have to do it and it was okay for me to just study biology rather than dissect the heart. Good luck! I couldn't do it but hopefully you fare better than me

We had to do this in Junior High School, so 7th or 8th grade... with the frog. I refused. I did do a sheep eye though. That was pretty interesting actually and I wanted to be an eye surgeon for awhile.

I'm almost done with Christmas shopping for my mom and daughter. In a few days, it should all be done. Then, we just have to afford Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas Eve :D

Took my 8 year old Trick or Treating last night. Fairly heavy rain about half through. Whole bag of candy though!

Edit: And of course New Year's Eve! It's my favorite holiday!

Edited by Anna Begins

We had to do this in Junior High School, so 7th or 8th grade... with the frog. I refused. I did do a sheep eye though. That was pretty interesting actually and I wanted to be an eye surgeon for awhile.

Yikes!

I'm almost done with Christmas shopping for my mom and daughter. In a few days, it should all be done. Then, we just have to afford Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas Eve :D

Took my 8 year old Trick or Treating last night. Fairly heavy rain about half through. Whole bag of candy though!

Edit: And of course New Year's Eve! It's my favorite holiday!

You finished early with your Christmas shopping! Yay for a whole bag of candy :D.

I can't believe it's November. I'm delighted coz this is my favourite time of the year, but time is flying, we'll be back into January before I know it.

I've got the start of the flu - sore throat since yesterday :censored:

Well, Halloween is over for another year. Bonfire night this weekend - we're heading to Newbiggin (a neighbouring town) to see the fireworks there on Saturday night. I'm a bit weird about fireworks - I love how pretty they are, but I absolutely hate all the whizzes and bangs that go with them.

Rehearsals for the Xmas show I'm in are going really well. We're six weeks away from our first show!!! Act one is now pretty much set and just needs a little polishing. We're now working on act 2 in earnest. I'm so happy to be working with such a wonderful group of warm, friendly, talented people!

I love the autumn days, but am not so keen on the start of winter and the lead up to Christmas with the dark nights. I much prefer the colder weather that comes afterwards as the days start to lengthen again.

After being back at work for about a month now, my colleague has once again been signed off sick - this time for 2 weeks. I fully expect that to be extended. I am told that this is apparently due to a wrist injury which he claims is due to the use of cleaning machinery - vacuum cleaners, floor scrubbing machines and so on. I admit that these machines can be a bit heavy and do put some strain on your arms and shoulders if you don't use them correctly, but I can just hear the words "industrial injury claim" ringing in my ears. I have worked with him for too long and know how his mind works.

My Manager is also once again on holiday - this time just for a week. There is no way on this earth that I could manage the whole site on my own, so they have asked our gardener to help out, as cleaning is more important than raking leaves in terns of infection control and so on. I suppose in one way the fact that my colleague is now claiming this is a good thing, as it could give them the perfect excuse to get rid of him on health grounds, but I suspect this will drag on for a few months yet.       

I've got the start of the flu - sore throat since yesterday :censored:

I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

I'm a bit weird about fireworks - I love how pretty they are, but I absolutely hate all the whizzes and bangs that go with them.

I feel the same, I like the prettyness but I really don't like the bangs they make. Good luck with the show!

This weekend I'm celebrating my birthday with my family. My brother has safely returned from his 80-days-around-the-world trip. He had a great time, but he's also glad to be home.

I hope you enjoy your birthday celebrations Athena, and catching up with your brother again after his travels.

After the General Election here last spring, Coran and I joined the Liberal Democrats. Tomorrow we are both going to their south east regional annual conference, which we are both really looking forward to. The party leader Tim Farron will be giving a speech, along with interesting talks by others on various subjects such as mental health and of course Brexit. It will be a chance to meet others of like mind and just generally find out more about how we can become more involved, which is always a good thing.   

My throat (which I think might have had strep) got significantly less painful today, right down to 'no pain at all' for most of the day. I'm not looking at it, because it feels okay and I'm happy with that. It hurts a bit when the area is stretched (e.g. yawning), but otherwise it's fine. If it flares back up for any reason, I'll go to the doc.

I actually went to town today, and it was an absolutely gloriously bitter 8/9 degrees Celsius. It was the nicest, freshest walk I've had in months. I bought a ton of new threads for my next cross-stitch project (the previous one is very nearly finished, I'm gonna do a little work on it each day til it's done). The new project will be much larger than anything I've done before, and feature metallic/sparkly threads, which snag like crazy and are generally a pain. It'll be a challenge! :)

I am glad that your throat seems better Noll, and hope you enjoy your cross stitch.

Coran and I had a great time at the conference yesterday. I know that not everyone is interested in politics, but it was far more interesting than it sounds. There were various talks throughout the day on the party's plans for you guessed it Brexit, their stance on refugees and of course the Witney and Richmond by elections. Our leader Tim Farron also gave a very passionate speech (with no microphone and largely off the cuff - he only rarely glanced at his notes) which was very well received.

We met some great people as well from throughout the region, putting names to a few faces that I already knew via Facebook. Perhaps the most useful thing was meeting and having the chance to talk to Party President Sal Brinton, whom Coran wanted to speak to about her friend who has some long health issues. She is really not getting help or support with any of them and at the moment has a lot of problems with her housing association. Sal was able to give some really good advice and point us in the direction of local Councillors who can hopefully help. 

All in all it was a really useful and interesting day. Next year, depending on where it is, I may go to the main annual conference, at least for the weekend.

So, I've decided to audition for another show! It's a panto (Puss in Boots) which will be performed at Easter. I'm going for two parts at the opposite ends of the spectrum - Grim (which is the lead villain, the Ogre's evil henchperson), and the Fairy Queen. We'll see how it goes... Auditions will be a week on Monday. There's a meeting on Friday to look at the parts, so I'll go along to that to...

Throat is fine again today except when I yawn, it's definitely on the mend :)

A Christmassy picture, I'll post more about it in my own thread at some point today. :D

I'm glad you're on the mend :). I shall have a look in your thread once the picture is up :).

All in all it was a really useful and interesting day. Next year, depending on where it is, I may go to the main annual conference, at least for the weekend.

I'm glad you had a nice time :).

So, I've decided to audition for another show! It's a panto (Puss in Boots) which will be performed at Easter. I'm going for two parts at the opposite ends of the spectrum - Grim (which is the lead villain, the Ogre's evil henchperson), and the Fairy Queen. We'll see how it goes... Auditions will be a week on Monday. There's a meeting on Friday to look at the parts, so I'll go along to that to...

Good luck!! I hope you get a nice part :).

This was a pretty busy weekend. Yesterday I saw lots of visitors for my birthday. I had a lot of fun talking with everyone. The cake, lunch and dinner were good too. Today I plan on resting from yesterday. I could do with a few days of rest (minus my appointment tomorrow about my treatment plan).

Hey y'all!

Last nigh was long and uncomfortable. Between watching the election (til 0200) and trying to study for my biology exam I was worried about our daughter and her family. They drove from California to Texas beginning late Monday evening. As they got closer to the New Mexico/Texas boarder, they experienced car trouble. There they were, in the middle of desert country, 2.5 hours from their new home. The van dies. It's dark and cold and no real idea where they were and poor reception. Thankfully our other daughter who lives in El Paso was able to borrow a truck (she has a small car) and drove 2.5 hours to their location and collected them. I'm so angry though because they have insurance with roadside assistance. They even signed up for rental coverage. How is it possible that they had no record of their policy even though he GAVE them the policy?! My daughter, son in law, five grand children and their dog where truly stranded. Thank God that they are now in their new home. My son in law is now trying to arrange a ride to get to the van to pick up dd's meds (they fell out of her bag). 

So yeah, last night and this morning were a bit overwhelming. On to better things.