Your Book Activity - November 2016

Kylie

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In other news, I have ALMOST finished Middlesex.  Faaaaaantastico.  10/10 would recommend.  

After Middlesex, begins my Christmas reading!  And nothing says Christmas quite like a crime novel filled with murder, recriminations and ill humour.   :D

Huzzah! So glad you're enjoying/did enjoy Middlesex. :)

Ooh, Christmas reading will be starting for me soon too!

I haven't been reading the past few days, but am I the only one who's already thinking a little bit about how I'm going to set up my new book blog thread in the new year?

It's started buzzing around at the back of my mind. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to post here but I have finished two books this month: The Tin Drum and The Diary of a Young Girl. 

The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass is a very strange book. If you like magic realism is your cup of tea, then definitely check this out. Not exactly sure if I liked it as much as some of Murakami's works but I'd still say it's worth reading. 

The Diary of a Young Girl is one of those books that always pops up in lists like "Top 100 books" and always comes up as something that YOU MUST READ but it all honesty it bored me to death. The only reason this gets so much attention is because it has all the right ingredients: jews, innocent girl, WW2. I've read a few opinions on-line and apparently if you don't like this book you're heartless spawn of Satan. Look, if you'd write a journal or any kind of literature at the age of 11 or 13, how good would it be? Leaving the context aside (and not even that is very relevant in the book) how good and interesting can the writings of an 11yo be? We all know the answer to that don't we? Verdict: Overrated. 

Imo, Anne Frank's diary is so tragic because she is just a young girl. You experience her changes as becoming a young woman, knowing the sadness that she would die a horrible death in a concentration camp. She put a humanistic image on innocence people who were murdered for no reason, other than who they were. Anne Frank represents that. For me.