Your Book Activity - November 2016

Kylie

Ooh..second last month of the year! We're almost on the home stretch now. :)

What's your book activity today?

I'm still reading IT by Stephen King. I received a book in the mail today: King Solomon's Mines by H Rider Haggard, and I went out and bought Johanna Basford's new Johanna's Christmas colouring book.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's already November! Soon it'll be 2017.

Are you enjoying IT? I hope you enjoy your new book and new colouring book. Johanna's Christmas looks really good so I think I'll add that to my wishlist.

I am! I was a bit worried that a lot of it would go over my head, but it's very easy to understand, and not overloaded with too many characters. I'm about halfway through it.

I'm so glad to hear it :).

I haven't read a whole lot more in George Mahood - Every Day is a Holiday, but I do plan on reading more in it soon.

I really want to read "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King (and the whole Dark Tower series) but I also have to read Macbeth and The Tempest by Shakespeare for a class in uni. (last time I read those two was a long time ago in school and in a different language)

Only 53 days (54 depending on where you live) left till Christmas  :o  time flies!

Still reading Volume V of Proust's In Search of Lost Time. Am beginning to falter now - the writing is beautiful but I feel overloaded with his writing now.

Am taking a short break from his writing to read Kant's Prolegomena. It's a nice change from Proust, but just as taxing I would say.

Just finished Return to the Little Coffee Shop of Kabul - Debbie Rodriguez

I have started on House of Dreams by Fanny Blake and on my phone I am reading Cherringham a cosy crime series books 4-6 these are easy to read crime novels just as well as I usually fall asleep after a couple of pages. Don't know if this says more about me or the book. :sleeping-smiley-009

and I went out and bought Johanna Basford's new Johanna's Christmas colouring book.

I just got this a few days ago! Love all the hidden birds- my mom, daughter and I had fun finding some of them. It's beautiful (of course).

I really want to read "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King (and the whole Dark Tower series) but I also have to read Macbeth and The Tempest by Shakespeare for a class in uni. (last time I read those two was a long time ago in school and in a different language)

Only 53 days (54 depending on where you live) left till Christmas  :o  time flies!

Gunslinger is good, I haven't read any of the others though... gosh, that's been ages!

The Tempest is one of my favorite plays. I used to see a lot of theater.

Don't mention Christmas! :D

I have started reading The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass. I'm very early in the books so I can't make a clear impression yet but the person that gave me the book praised it very much.

I've had this on my TBR for awhile now. I hope you like it!

I'm 52% into The Paper Magician, I always have trouble with 30- 60% :(

I'm 52% into The Paper Magician, I always have trouble with 30- 60% :(

You're nearly at 60% - keep going!  :friends3:

My grand plans to read Great Expectations this afternoon went awry when I decided to make three Christmas cakes!  :xmassmile::snowflake::cheers::boogie: The big one (ours, although I don't actually like it myself!) is due out at 5pm when two smaller ones will go in.   I've two (maybe three) more to make, but they'll have to wait until the weekend.

Edit:  Re the quote in your signature:

She had the feeling of reading a story with all it's even pages torn out.

~The Paper Magician by Charlie N Holmberg

As the odd pages are on the back of the even pages, there wouldn't be a book!    :D   :rolol: 

Edited by Janet

You're nearly at 60% - keep going!  :friends3: 

Edit:  Re the quote in your signature:

As the odd pages are on the back of the even pages, there wouldn't be a book!    :D   :rolol: 

Thanks!

Lol... well, it was a magician's book, so maybe there are pictures? :D

Hi guys! I haven't read much the last few months with wedding prep but I can get back on it soon! Currently re-reading the handmaids tale. One of my absolute favourite books of all time.

Still reading the 'beautiful' series too. On book 3 now. About 60% through the whole series.

Are you enjoying IT? I hope you enjoy your new book and new colouring book. Johanna's Christmas looks really good so I think I'll add that to my wishlist.

Yes, I'm enjoying IT! I haven't had much time to read lately, but I hope to get back into it soon.

I just got this a few days ago! Love all the hidden birds- my mom, daughter and I had fun finding some of them. It's beautiful (of course).

It's a gorgeous book, isn't it? :)

It's a gorgeous book, isn't it? :)

It is, I love it!

I plan on having The Paper Magician finished tomorrow and starting the new Jack Reacher book (out on the 8th) or Gayle Foreman's new book, Leave Me. I read the sample of Leave Me the other day and really liked it, but I'm a huge Jack Reacher fan, so :P. Dilemmas, dilemmas!

I am currently reading ~ 'Faceless' by Alyssa B. Sheinmel (paperback) & 'The Goldfinch' by Donna Tartt (kindle edition) :)

Edited by Weave

For the first time this year (and probably in quite a few years), I have read an entire book, from start to finish, in a single day! Josh was having a bit of a pyjama day (dressed, as we had to take Xan to school, but lounging around on the sofa and feeling quite sleepy and quiet), so I settled down next to him and just read all day.

post-3572-0-55350200-1478214870_thumb.jpg

I won an uncorrected bound proof of this book from GoodReads earlier this year, and this was the first time I'd thought about picking it up to read. I thought I would flick through and go through it bit by bit, in short installments, but I found it so thoroughly engrossing, I read the whole thing!

I'm currently reading Life's a Beach, the sequel to Every Day is a Holiday, by George Mahood. I have to admit the past two weeks I haven't been reading much. I've been busy with other things. I am enjoying Life's a Beach so far though.

I am currently reading ~ 'Faceless' by Alyssa B. Sheinmel (paperback) & 'The Goldfinch' by Donna Tartt (kindle edition) :)

How are you finding The Goldfinch? I really liked it when I read it last year.

I finished The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet - loved it, and can't wait to read the sequel (but I'm going to wait until the price comes down a bit).

I'm now reading David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. I've had it on my Kindle since 2011, so it's high time I gave it a go. So far I'm enjoying it, though it is very, very wordy! I'm not finding it too difficult to read though, which is a problem I sometimes have with classics. Apparently it will take me 18hrs and 36 minutes to finish it. :thud:

Still reading Volume V of Proust's In Search of Lost Time. Am beginning to falter now - the writing is beautiful but I feel overloaded with his writing now.

Aww, it's a shame to hear you're beginning to falter. :( I wish you strength! I'm in awe of anyone who's tackling or who's tackled Proust. I want to do the same some day :smile2: 

I'm almost a hundred pages into Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, and am really liking it so far.  It'll take me the rest of the month to finish -- it's a chunker -- but I hope that I can manage it, because I have my December reading all planned out already.  

Oh yay!! Middlesex is a great saga :smile2: I'm happy to hear your enjoying it! 

Yes, I'm enjoying IT! I haven't had much time to read lately, but I hope to get back into it soon.

Glad to hear you're still enjoying it! I mean, It! :D 

I'm currently reading The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen. This might be my first Danish thriller! 

I've just been to the October thread and have to comment on these: 

Just finished Whippoorwill by Joseph Monninger, great read. 

Oh wow! So, it's safe to read it? Was it sad or was it fun? I guess you would recommend it? :) 

I finished Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg last night  

Really good!  :)  When I was searching for my old posts about it last night I discovered that I had read 50 pages in 2012 but gave up because I found it rather slow (I'd forgotten about that!).  Back then, Sari and Poppy said how good it was so I hung on to it and then Willoyd said recently how he'd read it for his Book Club and enjoyed it, so I made it my choice for November's book club which forced my hand!  I hope the others enjoyed it.   :lurker:   There should be plenty to discuss.

I still haven't watched the film.  I said I would give it a try back in 2012 but didn't get round to it.  I'm going to try to watch it before next Wednesday, which is book club night.  :)

I'm glad to kept the book and intended to read it one day even though it didn't do anything for you back in 2012! :smile2: I'm sooo  happy you liked it so much! :smile2: And now you can watch the movie... It'll be such a treat! :wub: Or have you watched it by now (as I realize your post is from October... which I'd forgotten by now :D)

I'm glad to kept the book and intended to read it one day even though it didn't do anything for you back in 2012! :smile2: I'm sooo  happy you liked it so much! :smile2: And now you can watch the movie... It'll be such a treat! :wub: Or have you watched it by now (as I realize your post is from October... which I'd forgotten by now :D)

I haven't had time to watch it yet.  :)  Maybe this week!

I finished Great Expectations today.  I thought it was great - I did prefer the sections set in Kent - largely, I think, because I grew up playing on the marshes (or is that meshes?!  :D  ) in which those sections were set.