The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Angury

I have heard so much about this book over the past few weeks, culminating in the release of the new film starring Emily Blunt.

It has been repeatedly recommended to me and several friends have told me that they couldn't put the book down.

I am curious to hear other peoples thoughts on this novel. I generally try to avoid books that are in the 'popular' sphere so to speak. Not because I'm snobbish or anything, but simply because I've had a bad experience with them in the past.

It would be great to hear what other people think though. I have almost been tempted to go and buy the book given how much my friends have gone on about it.

I bought it a few weeks ago myself after giving in to the hype surrounding it, plus I'd really like to read the book before seeing the movie which I'm sure I'll do at some point.  I haven't gotten around to actually reading it yet though; I think I'm putting it off in case it doesn't live up to my high expectations for it.

I thought it was ok, but not deserving of all the hype it got. I disliked the main character as she spent most of the book drunk. I know this was supposed to make her an unreliable narrator and therefore add more mystery, but I just found it annoying.

If you are into thrillers, then I would read it, but I wouldn't pay money for it.

I thought it was ok, but not deserving of all the hype it got. I disliked the main character as she spent most of the book drunk. I know this was supposed to make her an unreliable narrator and therefore add more mystery, but I just found it annoying.

If you are into thrillers, then I would read it, but I wouldn't pay money for it.

This put me off as well.  But, in spite of that I thought it was a good story.  I'll be glad to see the film when it comes to Netflix. :) 

Funny thing is, there is a film with the same name https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Train-Henry-Ian-Cusick/dp/B00V3VTNY4/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1477157456&sr=1-1&keywords=the+girl+on+the+train with Henry Ian Cusick, Nicki Aycox.  A bizarre sort of story told in three different time frames.  It didn't really grab me till about halfway through.  Then.....excellent! fyi :D

I did go and see it first, now I am reading it. So even though I know what is going to happen I am still enjoying it. I suppose it would depend on how bothered you are about it been spoilt for you. There are small differences between the two.

However, I would highly recommend the film anyway.

I did go and see it first, now I am reading it. So even though I know what is going to happen I am still enjoying it. I suppose it would depend on how bothered you are about it been spoilt for you. There are small differences between the two.

However, I would highly recommend the film anyway.

Thank you. Now I'm really excited to go to the movies next week.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've not read the book. but I watched the film recently, and was sorely disappointed - I found it decidedly average and incredibly predictable, which has put me off reading the book. Usually, I like watching the film first, then discovering all the extra stuff that was left out by reading it afterwards, but I cannot say I am even remotely tempted to bother with it now. I'm sure the book will, as is usually the case, be better than the film, but the film was such a disappointment, I can't help but feel the book won't be up to much either.

It's a bit like when The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was first published. I was given the book as a gift, and tried to read it, but found it so dull and plodding, I couldn't finish it. I also worked out major plot points long before the half way mark, which made me even more bored. I enjoyed the films (both foreign language and English language versions - with a preference for the English language remake, as they actually managed to inject at least a little excitement into it), but only really watched them to confirm that, yes, I HAD worked out whodunnit stupidly early on.

• 3 weeks later...