• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

March Supporter Giveaway   03/02/2019

So March has crept up on us and I'm thrilled to finally show you the GREAT (he he...) March giveaway!     This time we have a gorgeous print of The Great Gatsby's most famous line from thestorygift.co.uk AND a Great Gatsby tea from the Literary Tea Company! This particular tea is Peach Blossom (which sounds delicious and I kind of wish I could keep it myself...) and the tin features another Gatsby quote.  If you'd like to see the other literary teas available (there are lots, I spent ages looking) you can find them both at the Literary Tea Company's etsy store (https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LiteraryTeaCompany) or at their own website, theliteraryteacompany.co.uk .   As always, supporters are automatically entered into the giveaway and if you're not a supporter but want to be included in this months giveaway you can become a supporter on patreon here... https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum .   A winner will be chosen at random on the last day of the month. Good luck!  
Sign in to follow this  
itsmeagain

Continue the story Game 2.

'Excuse us a minute.' Annabelle took Harriet aside. 'I don't think he's quite all there, do you?'

'But he says he's a trained bodyguard, he'd be very handy if we have to deal with pirates or slave traders or the like.'

'I wonder what his rates are, I don't know if we can afford him.'

'How much do you charge for your services, Damon?'

"Well I am rather partial to vodka in fact you can call me a cardholding vodka fan but I love tea and the company of lovely women.

13 quid per hour at 65 hours a week will be 845 notes weekly.. And I like to surround myself with beauty...what can you girls say but yes? After all.....

Edited by itsmeagain

I'm an amazing catch!'

'What???' gasped Annabelle, 'that's more than Harriet and I make in a week put together! And where do you get 65 hours from? You would only be required to act as our protector when we were in dangerous situations. The rest of the time would be your own. We will be going on a cruise to try and find these missing men, treat it as a luxury holiday at your expense. Thirteen quid for hours worked only. Take it or leave it.'

"Oh I do graciously accept dear Mrs Chiffon. I am skilled, as I said, in barter ..as you just saw..and banter..so let's go. Good morning new life as a detective!!"

Harriet said

'Heaven help us all,' rolling her eyes.

Annabelle ignored her. 'I've been thinking of chartering a motor boat instead, so we can catch up with the Lollipop. Last report it was headed in the opposite direction to it's intended destination and seemed to be en route for the Strait of Gibraltar. You can't drive one by any chance can you, Damon?'

'My dear lady, but of course I .... 

many other amazing accomplishments. Let me tell you about ...'

'Not now, Damon,' Annabelle sighed, 'It looks like I'll just have to do it myself then.'
'Ummm, have you ever driven a motorboat before, done any navigation, that kind of thing?' asked Harriet.

'How hard can it be?' Annabelle replied nonchalantly.

'Well I have, you better let me,' said Harriet.

'Wherever did you learn to do that?'

"My ex husband Alfie treated me to canoe trips down the Amazon in Brazil. I was very good at it so that's no problem to me. "

Grateful, Annabelle said it was a great skill to have.

"So ladies am I hired or not?And when do we set sail...ladies?",asked Damon, trying to appear

unconcerned.

'Well, time is of the essence, we need to set off as soon as possible. What do you think Harriet? Would he be useful to us?'

'Ummmm ...

,,,,, oh well yes...", she said, flustered and embarrassed , unable to tell the truth."He can join us but he needs to demonstrate more of his skills. Can you cook?"

"I got a cooking award at school for my key lime pie. So good was

it, that I ate the whole thing in one sitting. I find I often do that with my cooking, don't you know. Quite exceptional it is. And I can do some exquisite petit point.'

'I think we're looking at more practical type skills, we won't have much use for petit point. How did you become a body guard exactly? You don't really seem the type.'

'Oh well, you see ...

it's been a long time now since a curator at Lincoln cathedral asked me to guard a piece of top quality statue material. It was a rainy day in June and

'Later, Britton!' Annabelle snapped.

Damon looked deflated and his bottom lip stuck out. He had so many interesting stories to tell about himself and he liked nothing better than to share them.

'Come on, Demon. Buck up and stop sulking!' Harriet gave him a hearty slap on the back. It was obvious she ...

sarcastic, but since he didn't register either, he put it down to scatterbrainedness.

'Damon, dear, with an 'a', don't you know.' Harriet just shook her head.

They'd arrived at the boat hire outfit by this time.

'Harriet, which boat do you think you could operate? We need something speedy.'

Harriet perused six boats and especially liked the look of Red Globetrotter, a shiny red painted speedboat.

"Just like my old dad's Ferrari", she.....

said excitedly.

'Heavens to Betsy and gadzooks!' expostulated Damon, 'How much does that say it costs to hire? Would the wives really be that keen to find their husbands?'

'They need to know if they're dead or alive so they can claim the rather large life insurances....or start divorce proceedings. They seem to be hopeful of the former.'

'Women!' he cried,  'Can't live with them, can't ...

live without them. Even though I am wed to a man I am not totally oblivious to female charms..Mrs Chiffon" and he put his hand out but Annabelle did not

acknowledge it more than to impatiently brush it away.

'All aboard! Throttle those engines, Harriet, and don't spare the horses!'

With a sudden surge forward, causing Damon to sit down abruptly and rather painfully on his tailbone, they were away in a shower of seaspray. Annabelle started gesticulating wildly and pointing ...

to the back end of the boat. There was a woman asleep on a pile of blankets."Ahoy there hearty sailor Harriet. Stop now and return....stowaway on ship.",and Harriet

came to a sudden stop, throwing poor Damon forward, causing him to hit his nose on some nautical brass protrusion. Harriet hadn't quite got the hang of smooth take-offs and landings yet. She spun the boat shoreward, where they ...

were greeted ashore by a band of pirates, some with a patch over one eye, all dirty, yelling "Women driving a boat. All wrong!!" and then downing a glass of rum apiece. Damon said "Thanks very

much ladies, but methinks shorelife is more up my alley, don't you know. I've come over all queasy-like with all that jouncing and flinging around, I need to lie down with a cold ....Well, hello sailor!' Damon's attention was caught by a brassy looking pirate. 'Aren't you just the ...'

'Come on Harriet,' said Annabelle, not waiting to hear what the swashbuckler 'just' was. 'We've had enough of these holdups and nonsense! Let's go!' and they ...

Edited by poppy

sallied determinedly forth, compass in hand, sails blowing for effect (remember dear reader there's an engine on this motor boat!!) ,and our 2 determined office bods turned Cagney and Lacey, flying the metaphorical flag for the company ethos of integrity, good detective work, and endeavour.

"A good hunky man...yes and a gallon or two of wine. That's my one hope from this trip" declared Annabelle.

She rummaged about in her bags and found a large flagon of champagne.

"God how we deserve a break" and with that she cried "Azores here we come" and Hilary chortled

Edited by itsmeagain

, gunned the motor and they took off in a shower of spray that drenched the piratical contingent gathered ashore. There was much shaking of fists and unpleasant language, fortunately drowned out by the boat's noise. The girls waved gaily and blew kisses.

'By my calculations, we should reach Gibraltar by ...