• Announcements

• Hayley

Signing Up   11/06/2018

Signing Up is once again available. New members are very welcome
    • Hayley

March Supporter Giveaway   03/02/2019

So March has crept up on us and I'm thrilled to finally show you the GREAT (he he...) March giveaway!     This time we have a gorgeous print of The Great Gatsby's most famous line from thestorygift.co.uk AND a Great Gatsby tea from the Literary Tea Company! This particular tea is Peach Blossom (which sounds delicious and I kind of wish I could keep it myself...) and the tin features another Gatsby quote.  If you'd like to see the other literary teas available (there are lots, I spent ages looking) you can find them both at the Literary Tea Company's etsy store (https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LiteraryTeaCompany) or at their own website, theliteraryteacompany.co.uk .   As always, supporters are automatically entered into the giveaway and if you're not a supporter but want to be included in this months giveaway you can become a supporter on patreon here... https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum .   A winner will be chosen at random on the last day of the month. Good luck!  
Sign in to follow this  
itsmeagain

Continue the story Game 2.

there may be another "contact" for him and his less than honourable venture known by the name "Gaylord's new boy Investments."

Ushered into a well carpeted, well appointed room, cheap wine in a chilled decanter on the table, Gabby was introduced to Sally Parsimony, a brunette with a largely open top business suit on.

The idea, it seemed to....

an outsider looking in, was very dodgy, definitely unethical and quite possibly illegal. But Gaylord didn't let little details like that stand in the way of making a nice little profit on the side. With the help of the curvaceous Ms Parsimony, with whom he split all profits 75/25, he hoped to persuade Gabby to invest in a high risk/high return venture. Going by the name of ...

Invest in Mark 3 Banking Lotto, it was clearly going to be high risk.

Gabby, being one who felt lotto must entail high return on an investment,thought it was worth investing in a plot of land.

The 3 acre plot was in Upper Volta....

a prime piece of real estate, by all acounts, and about to be the site of a luxury holiday resort complex.

'Can't lose, squire,' enthused Gaylord, giving Gabby a hearty thump on the back. 'Money for jam!'

'What exactly are the attractions of the area, do you suppose?' wondered Gabby.

"There is a mountain range there. From the top you can see right across to Lower Volta and beyond. You must go and see it dear man..for a deposit I will aid you in your exploratory venture. We are investing in bread and margarine.

The locals haven't exactly got the hang of all the dynamics involved in bread. A bit of oven technology my man...will cost you 7.5 grand..take it..the oven..to Upper Volta and show the peasants how to make bread."

Gabby was taken....

with the idea, but he thought he'd like to take along a crony. Of course, the first person to spring to mind, and one he felt would be eminently suitable, was ...

Edited by poppy

Algernon .

He rang Algies number , leaving the following message.

"Algie mate it's Gabby.

Look I have 84k to spend and am off to Upper Volta to learn the African women how to make good English bread."

'Do you really think the women of Upper Volta will be all that knowledgable in the intricacies of English breadmaking, Gabby?' asked Algie when he rang back shortly afterwards.

'No! That's why I'm going to learn them!'

'Gabby, Gabby, Gabby, how many times do I have to remind you about ...

Edited by poppy

not spending your cash on false ventures? That time you blew 245 quid you won on the horses , on a bloke selling time shares in Puerto Rico.

I.mean that was a scandal.

Or lemon muffin Mary the old crone  who took money off you as you went hung ho.... Cupcake business crashed in a fortnight. The day....

you mistakenly decided to ...'

'Alright, alright! I get the picture! So what would YOU suggest I invest my money in? I've got to do something el pronto or the missus will get her hot little hands on it and I'll be ...

Anot spending your cash on false ventures? That time you blew 245 quid you won on the horses , on a bloke selling time shares in Puerto Rico.

I.mean that was a scandal.

Or lemon muffin Mary the old crone  who took money off you as you went hung ho.... Cupcake business crashed in a fortnight. The day....

up on his Spanish. He'd met a rather tasty little senorita (in actual fact, she was a senora, but she hadn't quite got round to apprising him of that little peice of information as yet) and didn't want to have to worry about ...

dimples, giggles and flounces. He'd just managed to talk her into accompanying him to a cosy little nightclub he knew, The Bada Bada Bing, when his phone rang again.

'What now????' he demanded. But this time it wasn't Gabby, it was ...

'Keep a civil tongue in your head, Algernon!'

'I always try to follow your example, dearheart, light of my life and apple in my eye.'

'Don't waste my time with all your sarcastic waffling. What have you done with my ...

Two grand you filched from the emergencies and crises tin. I had 2k in 2p and 5p bits and you went and filched it. Where are you?"

"Oh dearheart I am in Sevilla with Rosa the Spanish.....

Edited by itsmeagain

senorita, just a little bit of R&R after all the years of parsimonious carping and grousing, dear one.'

'Don't try and pull the wool over my eyes with all your fancy words, Algernon, I'll thank you to speak English.'

'That's quite all right, my little piranha fish, always happy to oblige.'
'Well you better oblige pronto by paying back all the money you pilfered! I'm coming over there!' and she slammed down the phone.

'Drive carefully, dear.'