Extensive Traveling

Virginia

I was doing some walking and thinking a few days ago and trying to decide what I'd like to do with myself (pulling hubby along of course, lol!) in the next few years. Looking at traveling to the UK. I want to visit Scotland, Ireland and England and I want to spend a month doing it. Because of the cost, logistics and time I need to start now.

Any ideas about where to start? Has anyone else gone on such an excursion?

I haven't done this in Britain Virginia, but I did once spend a month travelling around Europe in this way using something called an Inter Rail pass. This gives you access to most of the train and many of the ferry routes across Europe. The only extras you may have to pay for are things like sleeper berths on the overnight services. It was brilliant actually - I saw something like 10 countries in 30 days and loved every minute of it. When I wasn't sleeping on the overnight trains I stayed at hostels.

Unfortunately I don't think there is the equivalent rail pass here, and I am not sure if I would recommend that as a way to see Britain anyway, as the best bits are also the most remote where there isn't a great deal of public transport. I would personally then consider renting a car to see it properly - where you stay is of course up to you and depends on the level of comfort that you need. If you don't mind sharing rooms and bathrooms with others then I would definitely recommend youth hostels. Don't be misled by the name, as you don't have to be young to stay at these places. I have stayed at hostels all over Europe and they are great places to meet fellow travellers and for the most part very well equipped. It is certainly the cheapest way to stay in London. You can google their website for more details. If you plan to use them a lot then it would be worth becoming a member as you would then get a discount - not only on beds but also on a lot of other things. They have an equivalent organisation in the States as well of course which gives you a discount on hostels abroad, so check also to see how much membership of the American version costs, as you may find this better value.

As for what to see and where to go - your best bet is probably to get a good guide book and read up a bit and see what you are interested in and take it from there. I have always found Lonely Planet the best, but it is really your preference. There is a lot to see - London of course, seaside towns such as Brighton, ancient sites such as Stonehenge and Avebury, the various National Parks, and of course Wales, Scotland and Ireland - both North and South. You could easily spend a month or more exploring each of these separately, so you will need to be organised and know what your priorities are. I wish you luck with it - it sounds like quite a venture that will take a lot of planning.    

God there are lots of places I could recommend in the UK to visit but putting them all together in a timetabled trip is quite a feat! :) Of the major cities, I'd definitely include London and Liverpool in England and Edinburgh in Scotland. Depends what you like - landscapes? History? We have lots of both? Culture? That too...