20 replies to this topic

#1 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

There hasn't yet been a thread started on this subject, so I thought I'd crack one open.  I'm interested in finding out what everyone is planning on reading over the Halloween period, and ditto for Christmas/December.  Do you enjoy seasonal reads, or do you not consider them at all?  Are there any old favourites that you re-read year after year?

Over Halloween, I plan on reading Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie.  Not Halloween-themed, but close enough.  I'm slowly working my way through all of the Poirot novels.  There are so many of them.  Help!  Hooray!

Come December, I'm looking forward to Murder for Christmas by Francis Duncan, and The Santa Klaus Murder by Mavis Doriel Hay.  Good old-fashioned murder mysteries.  

There's something about the long, chill, winter nights that makes curling up with a crime novel the absolute best thing to do, in my opinion.  :D

#2 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

I usually don't read seasonal books, but last year I read "scary" books during October and it was lots of fun. Looking forward to reading Carrie again this year. Oh! I do listen to the audio book of A Christmas Carol (narrated by Tim Curry) while I wrap Christmas presents.

#3 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationNear Milton Keynes, UK

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:16 PM

I don't, usually - just read whatever I feel like at the time. However, I bought "Christmas Carols: From Village Green to Church Choir" by Andrew Gant, which I've been saving for this Christmas.

#4 Lau_Lou

Lau_Lou

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Reading now?:A Midsummer Night's Dream ~ William Shakespeare

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

I am trying to get through books I own or have borrowed from people the last few months of the year.
The Haunted Man by Charles Dickens is on my list and my mum has an old book of Christmas stories by Mr Dickens so I may give them a read too.
Most of the books on my list don't really associate with this time of year

I usually don't read seasonal books, but last year I read "scary" books during October and it was lots of fun. Looking forward to reading Carrie again this year. Oh! I do listen to the audio book of A Christmas Carol (narrated by Tim Curry) while I wrap Christmas presents.

I think I may listen to this again whilst working

#5 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,329 posts
  • Reading now?:The Body on the Doorstep by A J Mackenzie & The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:10 PM

I'm reading Time's Legacy by Barbara Erskine, which is bursting with ghosts but not particularly scary, and will try to read some Gothic flavoured books too in Halloween month. 

I read the Santa Klaus Murder last Xmas and really enjoyed it.

#6 anisia

anisia

Watch the Sky

• Supporter
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:15 AM

I read close to Christmas "Clockwork" by Philip Pullman - it was a lovely present for my first Christmas after moving to the UK from someone on the forum here; it just started a nice tradition  :smile:  :wub:   I very rarely read anything else seasonal...for no reason at all, it just doesn't happen. 

#7 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,329 posts
  • Reading now?:The Body on the Doorstep by A J Mackenzie & The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

I've got a Victoria Holt gothic novel lined up after I finish my Mary Stewart, which should be fairly soon, only about 50 pages to go, and then "The Drowning Pool" by Syd Moore, which is about witches in Essex.

#8 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:49 AM

I plan to read some spooky things before the end of October (mainly children's horror books, ie. books by R. L. Stine, and books by Dutch children's horror authors). I read one Goosebumps book so far (those are by R. L. Stine), called Het Horrorhuis (The Ghost Next Door). I've made a pile of spooky books, I just have to choose which ones I'll read :P. I can't read too much of one genre at one time, so I don't know how many I'll want to get through. First I have to finish my library loans, then I'm going to start on the spooky stuff. I prefer the children's horror books I like over horror for adults. I might read a thriller too.

In November and / or December I plan to read some Christmas and / or winter themed books (mostly rom-coms). I'll be getting some for my birthday (I ordered them myself so I know which ones).

#9 Weave

Weave

~This looks like a zombie pen!~

• Advanced Member
  • 10,056 posts
  • Reading now?:~The Dark Half by Stephen King & Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman~
  • LocationSomewhere in Scotland

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:07 AM

I have read so far in October in 'The Haunting of Hill House' by Shirley Jackson & 'The Travelling Bag: And Other Ghost Stories' by Susan Hill which were both great reads, the last story in the Susan Hill book was particularly scary. :)

#10 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for your replies, everyone.  :)  Anna mentioned listening to an audiobook -- I just remembered that somewhere in my house I have a double cassette of Christopher Lee reading the stories of Edgar Allen Poe.  It's old, and so I wonder if the tape hasn't warped by now, but it might be fun to listen to again over Halloween.

I just started reading Dumb Witness.  It's good so far.

Weave, I recently put The Haunting of Hill House on my TBR!  I'm just waiting for a super-cheap copy to pop up on Amazon, and then I'll pounce.  

#11 Autumn

Autumn

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

In November and / or December I plan to read some Christmas and / or winter themed books (mostly rom-coms).

I'm in a bit of a reading slump again at the moment - in the mood to read but just can't concentrate due to other things going on in my life right now - but I want to do this too.  Hopefully it will get me out of my reading slump and, at the same time, get me in the mood for Christmas.

#12 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:50 PM

'The Travelling Bag: And Other Ghost Stories' by Susan Hill which were both great reads, the last story in the Susan Hill book was particularly scary. :)

This was only £1.99 on Kindle so I grabbed it, try get my reading mojo back in action with some short seasonal stories! :)

#13 Little Pixie

Little Pixie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,738 posts
  • Reading now?:A risky way to kill - Richard Lockridge

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:49 PM

I've got Patricia Moyes' Who killed Father Christmas to look forward to for December.:) I picked up a reasonably priced used copy last year and it turned out to be a Special Edition, signed and with an A4 typewritten page from one of her mysteries, with hand corrections. I was thrilled to bits cos she's one of my favourite authors. :)

#14 Weave

Weave

• Advanced Member
  • 10,056 posts
  • Reading now?:~The Dark Half by Stephen King & Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman~

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:51 AM

This was only £1.99 on Kindle so I grabbed it, try get my reading mojo back in action with some short seasonal stories! :)

Hope you enjoy/enjoyed it Noll :)

#15 Weave

Weave

• Advanced Member
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for your replies, everyone.   :)  Anna mentioned listening to an audiobook -- I just remembered that somewhere in my house I have a double cassette of Christopher Lee reading the stories of Edgar Allen Poe.  It's old, and so I wonder if the tape hasn't warped by now, but it might be fun to listen to again over Halloween.

I just started reading Dumb Witness.  It's good so far.

Weave, I recently put The Haunting of Hill House on my TBR!  I'm just waiting for a super-cheap copy to pop up on Amazon, and then I'll pounce.  

I hope you enjoy 'The Haunting of Hill House' when you read it :)

#16 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

I have read this one before but will be worth reading again at Halloween The Ghost House by Helen Phifer.

I do love seasonal reading and have got lots of Christmas books and summer books I usually read the ones where they go abroad

#17 nursenblack

nursenblack

Avid Reader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKY-USA

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:16 PM

I had planned on reading nothing but spooky stuff for October, but some books came available that I had on hold at the virtual library that weren't necessarily spooky.  I did read American Psycho and a novella called Roll Them Bones.  I'm starting a Halloween cozy called Vampires, Bones, and Treacle Scones by Kaitlyn Dunnett.  I have another cozy that is Thanksgiving themed that I want to read in November called A Catered Thanksgiving by Isis Crawford.  I'd also like to read An Old Fashion Thanksgiving by Louisa May Alcott.

I don't have anything Christmas themed lined up yet. 

#18 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:10 AM

I've got a lot of Halloween- and Christmas-themed books—unfortunately too many to get through each year!

This year I'm reading Stephen King's It. I started reading it last year but couldn't quite get into it then (not the book's fault), so I'm trying again this year. There's no way I'll have it finished by the end of the month though!

I recently bought a few Christmas books but haven't yet decided what I'll be reading in December.

#19 muggle not

muggle not

Not A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,141 posts
  • Reading now?:No Man's Land - David Baldacci
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

I've got a lot of Halloween- and Christmas-themed books—unfortunately too many to get through each year!

This year I'm reading Stephen King's It. I started reading it last year but couldn't quite get into it then (not the book's fault), so I'm trying again this year. There's no way I'll have it finished by the end of the month though!

I recently bought a few Christmas books but haven't yet decided what I'll be reading in December.

IT is my favorite book by Stephen King. I hope you continue with the reading and enjoy IT as much as I did. :)

#20 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:23 PM

I'm in the second book if the Discovery of Witches trilogy. Vampires, witches, daemons, OH MY!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users