Swashbuckling (anti)hero

Dear All,

I'd like to read medieval/fantasy swashbuclinkg books with the classic "ladies loving,master-of-the-rapier-but-also-prefer-stay-away-of-real-fights, escaping through the tavern window after a hot night"-type of (anti)hero. You know, the guy with a thin mustasche, who keeps escaping from angry husbands/lovers/soldiers, etc; while having some drinking and sword fun, gets all the ladies (and steals their necklace as a last touch of a fun night).

Preferably set in a medieval or a "Three Musketeers" set of environment. Nothing dark or epic fantasy, just light hearted easy adventures with good humour.

A bit like Jack Sparrow, Locke Lamore, Harry Flashman, Casanova, Jalan Kendeth and the three (four) musketeers to give a general idea of my ideal protagonist(s).

Any recommendations highly appreciated in advance, thank you!

I'm not sure how light they are, but I've heard the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett are very good (and lots of swashbuckling and roof-top chases).  They can be expensive but there are a lot of cheap copies out there - I've started collecting them myself as I've heard so much about them, the first one is called Game of Kings.  Probably more like Musketeers than fantasy.

James McGee also has a series about Matthew Hawkwood, set in London, I think he' s a kind of cop/spy, but I've heard he's quite dashing if you want that type of hero!  The first one is called Ratcatcher.

Perhaps The 39 steps by John Buchan? I've only read that one, and enjoyed it - I believe there was a whole series of adventures.

Also Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stephenson.

Ok I just randomly came over a game trailer which is EXACTLY what I'm looking for-in form of books...biggrin.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3AxNkEVp6I

The "hero" instead of chosing to save the world, chooses the path of "coins and cleavage", hot maidens, tavern drinking, sarcastic protagonist and narrator-these are the kind of books I'm searching for smile.gif

I'm not sure how light they are, but I've heard the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett are very good (and lots of swashbuckling and roof-top chases).  They can be expensive but there are a lot of cheap copies out there - I've started collecting them myself as I've heard so much about them, the first one is called Game of Kings.  Probably more like Musketeers than fantasy.

James McGee also has a series about Matthew Hawkwood, set in London, I think he' s a kind of cop/spy, but I've heard he's quite dashing if you want that type of hero!  The first one is called Ratcatcher.

I checked on the Lymond Chronicles and says "a scapegrace nobleman of elastic morals and dangerous talents whose tongue is as sharp as his rapier". Sounds exaclty the type of protagonist I'm looking for, will check it further, thanks :)

The second one is more like Victorian Enlgand as I see, I love the orriginal AC Doyle Sherlock holmes stories, but now I wanna stick with the medieval/Dumas era :)

Thanks for the tips!

Perhaps The 39 steps by John Buchan? I've only read that one, and enjoyed it - I believe there was a whole series of adventures.

Also Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stephenson.

Thanks, 39 steps is too "modern" era for me in this topic.

However you are not the first one recommending Kidnapped,so I will check that one out, I liked Treasure Island from Stevenson :)