Your Book Activity - October 2016

Athena

I finished Snowdrops by AD Miller. A bit meh....not sure why it was shortlisted for the Man Booker prize. It was extremely ordinary. :dunno:

I felt this one was such a let down too.  :o

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started reading George Mahood - Every Day Is A Holiday, a memoir written by a wedding photographer / author who felt stuck in a rut and decided that for 6 months (Jan - Jun) he would celebrate 'special days' as much as possible. Days like Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day, Chocolate Covered Cherry Day, I'm Not Going To Take It Anymore Day and Balloon Ascension Day. This book was free on Kindle a while ago, so I decided to download it. So far I'm enjoying it a lot. It's quite interesting.

I finished A Life In Death: Memoirs of a Cotswold Funeral Director by James Baker, and also finished Follow You Home by Mark Edwards. The former was very good, the latter was pretty forgettable.

Now I'll be making a start on The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.

I have finished reading The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy. A very short book about... well...death. With excellent writing Tolstoy and  managed to write a short philosophical book about death, suffering and introspection. I honestly was not expecting much from this but boy oh boy was it great. 

Now I'll be making a start on The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.

I hope you enjoy it :)!

I'm 25% into The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg and am really, really liking it.

I hope you enjoy the whole book :).

I've read 57% of George Mahood - Every Day Is A Holiday. I'm liking it so far :).

I have been doing some reviews, but sill have 12 to go to get up to date. The reviews are becoming steadily shorter and shorter... 

I have just finished The Giver by Lois Lowry, which I really enjoyed. Lowry packs so much into 180 pages I was left feeling like I'd read something longer, but surprised at how quickly I'd read it! Now starting Watership Down. Never read it in my youth, so not sure whether I'm the target audience now, but intrigued to see!

I have just finished The Giver by Lois Lowry, which I really enjoyed. Lowry packs so much into 180 pages I was left feeling like I'd read something longer, but surprised at how quickly I'd read it! Now starting Watership Down. Never read it in my youth, so not sure whether I'm the target audience now, but intrigued to see!

I'm glad you liked The Giver. It is surprising how much the author packs into so few pages.

I hope you like Watership Down, I've never read it either but I do plan to. I hope you'll like it.

I Now starting Watership Down. Never read it in my youth, so not sure whether I'm the target audience now, but intrigued to see!

I didn't read it as a child either.  It took me aaaaages to get into it (I *think* I read it before the Counties Challenge, but I can't remember) but once I got into it I thought it was very good. Hope you enjoy it.

I'm still reading Great Expectations.  It's... great! :D   I had a weekend away so no reading time - hoping to get a good chunk read tomorrow after I've done my chores!

I didn't read it as a child either. It took me aaaaages to get into it (I *think* I read it before the Counties Challenge, but I can't remember) but once I got into it I thought it was very good. Hope you enjoy it.

I'm still reading Great Expectations. It's... great! :D I had a weekend away so no reading time - hoping to get a good chunk read tomorrow after I've done my chores!

Thanks J! I'm working odd hours at the moment but hoping to get some reading time on Wednesday.

I haven't read much Dickens, but what I have I've loved. Glad to see another hit awaits me!

I hope you enjoy it :)!

I am! I was a bit worried that a lot of it would go over my head, but it's very easy to understand, and not overloaded with too many characters. I'm about halfway through it.

I read The Giver last year (or maybe the year before....time goes so fast these days!) and really enjoyed it. Like you say, there was so much packed into a reasonably short book.

I read Watership Down a few years ago, after it was referenced in The Stand. I liked it a lot and recently bought it on Kindle so I can re-read it at some point. I hope you like it!