Your Book Activity - October 2016

Athena

My tablet seems to have died, won't turn on or seem to take charge :( Everything I was currently reading was on it. Don't really have any other devices suitable for the Kindle app, so will just have to wait til I can get a new tablet. May read a paper book in the meantime, but not sure what.

Awww :(:empathy:. I hope you'll be able to read again soon.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Janet, yes that does make sense - I thought reviewing a new book was the thing to do but happy to chat about some classics too! My sister and I read Pride and predudice every December (well we try to most years) as a bit of a tradition. I love it but have not read Sense and sensibility - I have seen the film which I hope won't ruin the reading experience.

My tablet seems to have died, won't turn on or seem to take charge :( Everything I was currently reading was on it. Don't really have any other devices suitable for the Kindle app, so will just have to wait til I can get a new tablet. May read a paper book in the meantime, but not sure what.

Tragedy! Could you at least afford a Kindle? It might be easier than a whole new tablet.

Edited by Anna Begins

Tragedy! Could you at least afford a Kindle? It might be easier than a whole new tablet.

It was only a cheap tablet, about €150. Cheaper than some Kindles. By the time I have the money for either, I'll have the money for both - which is hopefully Friday, payday. Assuming I get paid.

In the  meantime, I've put the Kindle app I had on my tablet onto my phone. Screen's tiny, but my books are there. Might do for a few days! :roll: I'm gonna feel like I've read 10 pages for every 1 I do, though! :giggle:

Damn those prices. I got my Kindle for around 120 euros. Isn't reading from a tablet hurting your eyes though? 

edit: You could wait for some Black Friday deals next week too. 

Nah, I read all day every day from a computer screen with the sun shining on the screen. I can manage a tablet screen.

Black Friday is the end of November, isn't it?

My reading has been woeful this month.  I've finished one book - The Taxidermist's Daughter by Kate Mosse for my reading group.

I have been busy, but even when I'm not, I just haven't been able to settle with any books at all.  I'm going to try an easy read to get myself back into it, so I've decided to start Christmas At The Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan. :D

My reading has been woeful this month.  I've finished one book - The Taxidermist's Daughter by Kate Mosse for my reading group.

I have been busy, but even when I'm not, I just haven't been able to settle with any books at all.  I'm going to try an easy read to get myself back into it, so I've decided to start Christmas At The Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan. :D

That sounds like a fun read :)

It was only a cheap tablet, about €150. Cheaper than some Kindles. By the time I have the money for either, I'll have the money for both - which is hopefully Friday, payday. Assuming I get paid.

In the  meantime, I've put the Kindle app I had on my tablet onto my phone. Screen's tiny, but my books are there. Might do for a few days! :roll: I'm gonna feel like I've read 10 pages for every 1 I do, though! :giggle:

I felt that way when I had a 6 inch Fire I was reading on. It was way to small. I love my Paperwhite ($119). At least you have them on your phone!

Thanks Janet, yes that does make sense - I thought reviewing a new book was the thing to do but happy to chat about some classics too! My sister and I read Pride and predudice every December (well we try to most years) as a bit of a tradition. I love it but have not read Sense and sensibility - I have seen the film which I hope won't ruin the reading experience.

Thanks for clarifying that Woodchip. :) Unfortunately we sometimes have people join the forum with sneaky intentions. Glad you're not one of them! Happy to have you here to discuss books with us.

I love that you and your sister have a tradition of reading P&P every year. :) That's one of my favourite books, but I haven't read it in way too long.

I'm currently reading Stephen King's It  :hide:

I finished Snowdrops by AD Miller. A bit meh....not sure why it was shortlisted for the Man Booker prize. It was extremely ordinary. :dunno:

Exactly my feelings on reading it around the time of said Booker awards.

Personally, I've just finished Anne de Courcy's The Fishing Fleet, review on my blog thread. Overall a solid enough read, but room for improvement, so awarded 3 stars out of 6. Now turning to my book group's next read, and my next English Counties book, Dracula, after which I really need to get back to Lorna Doone at some stage.

Edited by willoyd

I finished Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg last night   I've nearly finished listening to A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark (really enjoying this) and I started Great Expectations by Charles Dickens today.    :)

I finished Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg last night   I've nearly finished listening to A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark (really enjoying this) and I started Great Expectations by Charles Dickens today.    :)

How was it? I loved the movie :)

Really good!  :)  When I was searching for my old posts about it last night I discovered that I had read 50 pages in 2012 but gave up because I found it rather slow (I'd forgotten about that!).  Back then, Sari and Poppy said how good it was so I hung on to it and then Willoyd said recently how he'd read it for his Book Club and enjoyed it, so I made it my choice for November's book club which forced my hand!  I hope the others enjoyed it.   :lurker:   There should be plenty to discuss.

I still haven't watched the film.  I said I would give it a try back in 2012 but didn't get round to it.  I'm going to try to watch it before next Wednesday, which is book club night.  :)

I finally finished a book! We Eat Our Own - Kea Wilson. It was interesting, but not what I hoped for.

I'm on the second last story in my Lovecraft collection, and halfway through Pendulum. Really want both finished this week.

Back then, Sari and Poppy said how good it was so I hung on to it and then Willoyd said recently how he'd read it for his Book Club and enjoyed it, so I made it my choice for November's book club which forced my hand!  I hope the others enjoyed it.

Glad it prompted you to pick up a book you enjoyed.  Have to say, I really enjoyed both the other books you mention as recent/current reading (Dickens, Spark) as well - so happy reading!  You remind me - I must watch the film too.

Glad it prompted you to pick up a book you enjoyed.  Have to say, I really enjoyed both the other books you mention as recent/current reading (Dickens, Spark) as well - so happy reading!  You remind me - I must watch the film too.

Thanks, Will   I finished A Far Cry From Kensington today - I really enjoyed it.   :)    I've heard of a few others of hers (she wrote far more than I realised) so I shall have to investigate the others. 

I'm about a sixth of the way through Great Expectations and wow - I'm loving it so far.  And it's a surprisingly easy read.  That's not to detract from it in any way - I just mean it's not flowery at all.  It seems that's a bit of a misconception as I didn't have a problem with the others of his I've read so far.   I hope it continues to be so good (I'm sure it will).  :)

I finished Dumb Witness.  Not a bad yarn.  I had guessed whodunnit before the grand reveal, which I'm always happy about with Agatha Christie, because she's a twisty & tricksy old mare!

I've just begun Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.  It's over 500 pages and will take me all of November to read!  It's interesting so far.

Thanks, Will   I finished A Far Cry From Kensington today - I really enjoyed it.   :)    I've heard of a few others of hers (she wrote far more than I realised) so I shall have to investigate the others.

Somebody on this forum was working their way through her books, but I can't remember who off hand, but whoever it was got me interested as well.  Spark is the sort of writer whose book I will reach the end of and then mutter "Is that it?".  Later, I find it has actually got right under my skin - many of them still stand out in the memory, which for me says a lot about how good they actually are.

A couple I can recommend if you enjoyed A Far CryThe Ballad of Peckham Rye, and The Girls of Slender Means.  Both also London-based, the latter set during the last throes of the war, the former rather later).  Having said that, I can still see why The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie remains her best known - it's still the best of hers that I've read so far.