Your Book Activity - October 2016

Athena

The City is more around the St Paul's/Bank/Liverpool Street area, Kensington is much further west so not part of the "City" as such.  I'm not sure if the boundaries are the old City walls (bits of which are still standing at various places) but generally it's more the financial and banking area which is called the City now.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill, a good quick read. Enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away by it. I did pick up The Small Hand too, as it was cheap enough for Kindle.

I also received Pendulum by Adam Hamdy for review via Netgalley - I'd tried them in the past and been declined a lot as I don't have a huge amount of 'reach' on social media. Headline, however, kindly let me have this book.

I'm aiming also to finish We Eat Our Own and my Lovecraft collection in the next couple days. I WILL get back on track.

I am going to read Pride and Prejudice next. I have been looking forward to reading this for a long time. The only other book I have read is Sense and Sensibility and I really, really disliked that one. Despite that I do have good feelings about this one so fingers crossed!

Also getting a new Paperwhite today.

I have a Paperwhite....I love it! :boogie:

Latest book finished is A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. Incredible piece of work, but one I am glad to reach the end of. 700 pages of misery.

:lol: That's a pretty good description of it. Glad you enjoyed it.

I haven't been reading a huge amount lately. I have been so busy at work, but also have a rotten cold that I cannot shake, which makes me not want to do anything that requires effort. :sneeze:

I'm towards the end of The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. I'm not enjoying it much; I'm not keen on the genre so I will be glad when I am finished with it.

I am also reading The Machine That Changed The World by James Womack and Daniel T Jones. It's about lean production in the car manufacturing industry. Pretty interesting, but that's probably only because we are trying to implement something similar at work.

I went through my Amazon wishlist yesterday, to look for Kindle books that were cheap, and bought the following:

A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

Dark Matter: A Ghost Story - Michelle Paver (I think she has been mentioned a fair bit on this board)

What You See Is What You Get - Alan Sugar (The Apprentice is on again, so it has piqued my interest)

Also a week or so ago I bought The Stand Marvel Comic Omnibus. :boogie: It's stunning....great quality (hardcover with a slipcase, plus an extra book about the making of the graphic novel). I finished reading it a couple of days ago....well impressed with it!

I also have no library books outstanding, so I can finally concentrate on using my Kindle again. :D

I'm reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, I wanted an easy read; also not often fan fiction appears in a novel at the centre of it.

I hope you enjoy it :). I liked it a lot. 

I went through my Amazon wishlist yesterday, to look for Kindle books that were cheap, and bought the following:

A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

Dark Matter: A Ghost Story - Michelle Paver (I think she has been mentioned a fair bit on this board)

What You See Is What You Get - Alan Sugar (The Apprentice is on again, so it has piqued my interest)

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :).

I've just finished a book so I've got to pick a new one. I'll be having a look at my book case(s) later and see if I can find a book I feel in the mood to read.

EDIT: I might read Becky Chambers - Wayfarers 1: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. I've read a few pages so far and it seems pretty good. I'm going to have lunch first though.

Edited by Athena

:exc:Loved that book, perfect for this time of year - enjoy!

I'm progressing with Pendulum, almost halfway through. I'm reading too many books at once, my aim for the weekend is to finish two or three of them.

In my opinion it is a very good place to start. I just hope you didn't want the dreadful

BBC adaptation! :)

I haven't watched it, not planning to :)

Went to the annual book fair in my city and got myself a few goodies. Sadly There was only one shop selling in English so I only bought from there. I got: 

Orlando - Virginia Woolf

Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka

The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

The Woman in the Dunes - Kobo Abe

I read Orlando last year from the library but I just had to have the book for myself. It was THAT good. It's from Collins Classics and the writing is a little small though. The rest are from Penguin and they have bigger fonts so huuuurraaaayyy for my eyesight. Penguin editions have a much better quality overall but sadly the price is almost double. 

I hope these will be enough until the end of the year. I still have Demons by Dostoievski to read if not. I said would not touch his works again but this was a birthday gift from a girl. 

I also said that I would stop buying books when I got my Kindle but I knew from the start I was just lying to myself.  :giggle2:

I'm reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, I wanted an easy read; also not often fan fiction appears in a novel at the centre of it.

I just finished Eleanor & Park and it was pretty good, I hope you enjoy Fangirl!

I read the graphic novel, Pyongyang by Guy Delisle today. It was very good and am now waiting for funds to buy some of his others.

Edited to add: I am loving my Paperwhite :) I think it is my sixth Kindle :D

Edited by Anna Begins

I also said that I would stop buying books when I got my Kindle but I knew from the start I was just lying to myself.  :giggle2:

That was a very ambitious plan  :giggle2:  Enjoy your new books! 

I just finished Eleanor & Park and it was pretty good, I hope you enjoy Fangirl!

I read the graphic novel, Pyongyang by Guy Delisle today. It was very good and am now waiting for funds to buy some of his others.

Edited to add: I am loving my Paperwhite :) I think it is my sixth Kindle :D

I enjoyed Eleanor & Park, it was sweet :) I didn't even realise it was the same author until after I started the book.

I'm thinking of getting a Paperwhite, I have a very old version of Kindle. Not that it's not working...but Paperwhite looks great! 

---

I started listening to American Psycho yesterday while I was doing things around the house, I'm now about 5 hours in. 

I bought the kindle edition of 'Printer's Devil Court' by Susan Hill :readingtwo: 

Hi, nice to see you around :)

I got: 

Orlando - Virginia Woolf

Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka

The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

The Woman in the Dunes - Kobo Abe

I quite liked reading The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (I read the original Dutch version). I hope you find it interesting. I hope you like all of your new books.

I'm currently reading Becky Chambers - The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. So far I'm enjoying it a lot. I like the diverse cast of characters. I will say it's a book that requires quite a bit of processing on my side, I find I have to put it down every once in a while to process what I've read. I don't exactly know why this is. I'm liking the book a lot though.

I'm currently reading Becky Chambers - The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. So far I'm enjoying it a lot. I like the diverse cast of characters. I will say it's a book that requires quite a bit of processing on my side, I find I have to put it down every once in a while to process what I've read. I don't exactly know why this is. I'm liking the book a lot though.

I have this on my wishlist, so I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

I finished Dark Matter by Michelle Paver. Really enjoyed it.

Now I'm about to start Snowdrops by AD Miller which I've had on my Kindle for a fair while.

I have this on my wishlist, so I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

I'll be sure to post about it :). I'm about half way through now and I'm liking it a lot. It doesn't have as much action as I was expecting but I really like the characters.

Only 20ish pages of Alexander McCall Smith's Love Over Scotland, so I should finish that one this evening. After that, it's time to read....well, I should read some more of Middlesex, but my reading mojo is too skittish at the moment, and this book is not for me at the moment   :hide: . Sometime for light reading, I think, so I'll carry on with Angela Thirkell's Cheerfulnes Breaks In.

That's interesting, I preferred Sense... to Pride... so I'll be interested to see what you think!

I think my main problem with it was leaving too long periods of time in between reading the book.

If I don't do the same with P&P I am sure it will help with having a better reading experience.

The other novel I have is Persuasion. Have you read that one?

My tablet seems to have died, won't turn on or seem to take charge :( Everything I was currently reading was on it. Don't really have any other devices suitable for the Kindle app, so will just have to wait til I can get a new tablet. May read a paper book in the meantime, but not sure what.