Your Book Activity - October 2016

Athena

It's October already?! That snuck up on us!

I'm currently reading Jodi Picoult - Vanishing Acts. I'm pretty far into it, I think I should be able to finish it today. So far I'm liking it, but not as much as her best novels. But it's better than the books by her I liked the least. It's enjoyable anyway, even if it's not as good as the books by her that I like the best.

What's your book activity in October?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't heard of Ella Minnow Pea but everyone seems to have read and loved it and it sounds great so on the wishlist it goes!

FORTINBRAS! And Which What and Who? I think that was their names. That's all I remember. I don't think I ever actually finished it, but it started a few times as a kid.

Ella Minnow Pea is a great quirky read, and very clever and creative. I hope you enjoy it.

You remember more than I did of A Wrinkle In Time. I thought I would remember more, but it turns out I didn't recall any of it. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it either. Can't believe I liked it so much as a child, as it was definitely a struggle this time around, and it's only a short book! :thud:

I'm now reading A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki, which is fantastic so far. I picked up up purely because I liked the cover, but it also had many positive blurbs on the cover. Has anyone else read this? I don't think I've heard it mentioned on here.

I'm so disasterously behind with my reviews. I need to make a concerted effort to write something, even if it is only a few sentences. :blush2:

Been away for a week, and didn't find much reading time, but I did finish listening to A Bachelor Establishment by Jodi Taylor writing as Isabella Barclay.

Treated myself to a new quilting book this morning, and used the buy one get one free offer on selected audiobooks this morning to buy David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, narrated by Richard Armitage, and The Summer Before The War by Helen Simonson, narrated by Lucy Scott (who played Charlotte Lucas in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, and based on the sample I listened to, could very quickly become one of my favourite narrators).

I'm now reading A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki, which is fantastic so far. I picked up up purely because I liked the cover, but it also had many positive blurbs on the cover. Has anyone else read this? I don't think I've heard it mentioned on here.

I don't know much about this book, but I've heard good things from people on BookTube.

I've finished Vanishing Cats by Jodi Picoult. Today I plan on cataloguing some new books, and later today I plan to pick a new book to read.

Ooh yes, I loved A Tale for the Time Being  :exc: ,  and it just gets better as it goes along! 

Ella Minnow Pea is a great quirky read, and very clever and creative. 

I agree too, EMP is one of the best books EVER!!  :smile:

Finished reading/listened to Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London - good stuff!!  :smile: , and will listen to PC Peter Grant series #2 Moon over Soho soon. 

Also reading at the mo. is  An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs #5)

I have now started Volume 5 of Marcel Proust's 6-part series, In Search of Lost Time. I'm hoping to finish the entire series by the end of this month.

For those who haven't read it, it is a beautifully written series filled with flowery language, exquisite metaphors, sentences with very few full stops and a story in which nothing happens. :P

I have now started Volume 5 of Marcel Proust's 6-part series, In Search of Lost Time. I'm hoping to finish the entire series by the end of this month.

Wow! That's wonderful, to get so far with Proust!  :clapping:

... and used the buy one get one free offer on selected audiobooks this morning to buy David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, narrated by Richard Armitage, and The Summer Before The War by Helen Simonson, narrated by Lucy Scott (who played Charlotte Lucas in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, and based on the sample I listened to, could very quickly become one of my favourite narrators).[/font]

I have both of those on my wish list! :D

For those who haven't read it, it is a beautifully written series filled with flowery language, exquisite metaphors, sentences with very few full stops and a story in which nothing happens. :P

I'm not sure if you're speaking sarcastically or not, but some of those things you list are things I'm personally not quite so keen on.

I'm currently reading A. S. King - Reality Boy. It's a contemporary YA book about a teenage boy who has anger issues. I started it yesterday and hope to finish it today, depending on how much time I'll spend reading.

Currently reading A Farewell to Arms. Hemingway's writing is excellent and I do hope I will like the story. The Sun Also Rises was great

Hemingway is my favorite author, but I've never been able to get into A Farewell to Arms. Love The Sun Also Rises (maybe I'll do a re read) but For Whom the Bell Tolls is my favorite.

I finished The Couple Next Door. It was terrible. Can't imagine what is wrong with the people raving about it.

Now reading A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay, though I may start another thriller alongside it.

3 books from 100!

Was away for the last two days of September so not much reading done I am afraid. 

Read 113 minutes and The Verdict by James Patterson it is a couple of the bookshots so not many pages to read on Saturday and Sunday. 

Don't know if I mentioned I have started reading The Pharaoh by Wilbur Smith this is slow reading but love most things to do with Egypt.

I also went on a book spending spree on Thursday and Friday, was shocked as to how many I had bought. 

Finished The Midwich Cuckoos  tonight, which is the final book in my Popsugar challenge: 40 different categories of books in the year, this one being the science fiction novel.  Wyndham is definitely one of my discoveries this year, and am looking forward to more of his work.

Hemingway is my favorite author, but I've never been able to get into A Farewell to Arms. Love The Sun Also Rises (maybe I'll do a re read) but For Whom the Bell Tolls is my favorite.

I read half of the book in one day. The story is kind of meh so far (or maybe I am too used to other genres to be amazed) but some of the characters are good and the writing is so damn great. It's honestly the only thing keeping me hooked right now. 

Hi. I'm still reading Beautiful Darkness. I'm getting married at the end of the month so haven't had much time for reading!

Virginia have you started 'a discovery of witches'yet? I loved the whole trilogy but I think that was my favourite!

Lauraloves have you finished 'hitler stole pink rabbit'?

Apologies if you both already posted answers to these previously!

Congratulations! Have a wonderful day! :)

I have put myself on a book buying ban again for the next three months so I gave written myself a list of books I want to read from what I have at home. Then when I have read them I can tick them off. I plan to try and read 25-40 books in that time. I really am going to have to read a lot more than I am to achieve that.

I am going to read To Kill A Mockingbird next to finally be able to say I have read it.

I have started The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena. So far it seems like a really quick and easy thriller, which is exactly what I need right now.

I finished The Couple Next Door. It was terrible. Can't imagine what is wrong with the people raving about it.

Oh dear - one to avoid!

Finished The Midwich Cuckoos  tonight, which is the final book in my Popsugar challenge: 40 different categories of books in the year, this one being the science fiction novel.  Wyndham is definitely one of my discoveries this year, and am looking forward to more of his work.

I like Wyndham too - I've really enjoyed those which I've read so far. :)

I finished listening to The Warden by Anthony Trollope today and read some more of The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall. 

I read half of the book in one day. The story is kind of meh so far (or maybe I am too used to other genres to be amazed) but some of the characters are good and the writing is so damn great. It's honestly the only thing keeping me hooked right now.

He is a great writer! You might like For Whom the Bell Tolls. It's got more action.

Hi. I'm still reading Beautiful Darkness. I'm getting married at the end of the month so haven't had much time for reading!

Virginia have you started 'a discovery of witches'yet? I loved the whole trilogy but I think that was my favourite!

Lauraloves have you finished 'hitler stole pink rabbit'?

Apologies if you both already posted answers to these previously!

Congratulations!

Congratulations! Have a wonderful day! :)

I have put myself on a book buying ban again for the next three months so I gave written myself a list of books I want to read from what I have at home. Then when I have read them I can tick them off. I plan to try and read 25-40 books in that time. I really am going to have to read a lot more than I am to achieve that.

I am going to read To Kill A Mockingbird next to finally be able to say I have read it.

I hope you enjoy it!

Oh dear - one to avoid!

I like Wyndham too - I've really enjoyed those which I've read so far. :)

I finished listening to The Warden by Anthony Trollope today and read some more of The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall.

I never answered you about The Swiss Family Robinson! I liked what I read. Currently, I'm not able to finish a book or seem to read more than 50 pages a day. But it followed the movie quite closely (although there is a fourth brother). I loved reading the descriptions of what happened in the movie, in the book. My brother and I must have watched that movie 50 times!

Since I can't seem to finish a book (above), I started Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor and Park this morning. It's off to a good start, I bought it on a Daily Deal a few weeks ago. Also getting a new Paperwhite today.

I never answered you about The Swiss Family Robinson! I liked what I read. Currently, I'm not able to finish a book or seem to read more than 50 pages a day. But it followed the movie quite closely (although there is a fourth brother). I loved reading the descriptions of what happened in the movie, in the book. My brother and I must have watched that movie 50 times!

Since I can't seem to finish a book (above), I started Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor and Park this morning. It's off to a good start, I bought it on a Daily Deal a few weeks ago. Also getting a new Paperwhite today.

I'd forgotten all about it!  :D  I've just downloaded the Kindle book as it's free!  Thanks.  :)

Is it your first Kindle Paperwhite, or a replacement?  If the former then I'm sure you'll love it - and if the latter then you'll already know how wonderful they are!  :wub: