What's Up in October 2016?

Athena

I can barely believe it's October already! I'm excited for October though, it's my birthday near the end of October.

What are you up to in October?

Like I said in the September thread, my brother's girlfriend is visiting tonight. My brother is in China and will soon depart for the U.S. for his world trip. It'll be nice to see my brother's girlfriend and have dinner with her (her, my parents, Michael and me).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got back hone yesterday after a week in Cornwall.  The weather wasn't great most of the week, but found it difficult to settle to any books, and just whiled the time away doing not much!

Got up early to go into town this morning, and to get in and out before the rain and the crowds came and managed both.  Bought a new book in Waterstone's as well as stopping for a drink in the café, and then walked down to my favourite cheesemonger and got some new cheeses to try for lunch.

Need to catch up on some sewing this weekend, so that's really the only plan I have for the rest of the day. :)

I don't suppose your brother has room in his suitcase for me Athena - I don't take up much room honest !

I am astonished to find that it is October as well, the time just seems to fly by.

I am off on my own trip tomorrow morning - this time to Prague. The flight isn't until 10am, but I plan to have breakfast at the airport, so will be leaving just after 7am (we only live half an hour away) to get there before 8am just in case there are queues. The airline I chose (a cheap Czech one called Smartwings) doesn't offer online check in which means I may have to brave the queues. I plan to spend most of my five days exploring the city, but may travel further afield as well, possibly to Terezin, the site of an infamous concentration camp (I went to Auschwitz last year). I am also looking forward to seeing my first opera on Monday night.

Have a fab time Talisman.

Did something really silly today - couldn't get hold of a CD properly to take it out of the tray, and the tray slid back in, and came out again without the CD, which has disappeared into the depths of the CD player :o  :P !  Any hints on retrieval would be most welcome.

We got back hone yesterday after a week in Cornwall.  The weather wasn't great most of the week, but found it difficult to settle to any books, and just whiled the time away doing not much!

Got up early to go into town this morning, and to get in and out before the rain and the crowds came and managed both.  Bought a new book in Waterstone's as well as stopping for a drink in the café, and then walked down to my favourite cheesemonger and got some new cheeses to try for lunch.

Need to catch up on some sewing this weekend, so that's really the only plan I have for the rest of the day. :)

Sorry about the weather and not reading any books. I hope you were able to relax at least.

I wish you a good weekend :)

I don't suppose your brother has room in his suitcase for me Athena - I don't take up much room honest !

I am astonished to find that it is October as well, the time just seems to fly by.

I am off on my own trip tomorrow morning - this time to Prague. The flight isn't until 10am, but I plan to have breakfast at the airport, so will be leaving just after 7am (we only live half an hour away) to get there before 8am just in case there are queues. The airline I chose (a cheap Czech one called Smartwings) doesn't offer online check in which means I may have to brave the queues. I plan to spend most of my five days exploring the city, but may travel further afield as well, possibly to Terezin, the site of an infamous concentration camp (I went to Auschwitz last year). I am also looking forward to seeing my first opera on Monday night.

Haha, I'm sorry, no :(.

I wish you lots of fun in Prague. You probably don't see this anymore (since it's 5:20 am in the UK, 6:20 here in NL), but I hope your journey goes well and that you have lots of fun.

Did something really silly today - couldn't get hold of a CD properly to take it out of the tray, and the tray slid back in, and came out again without the CD, which has disappeared into the depths of the CD player :o  :P !  Any hints on retrieval would be most welcome.

Uh oh.. :(. I wouldn't know, but if I remember later today I'll ask my boyfriend or my dad if they have any tips, they're good with stuff like that.

My brother's girlfriend was here yesterday evening, and it was a lot of fun to spend some time with her. We had a nice dinner together and she brought some excellent pastries from the bakery where she works (they sometimes have leftovers). She's looking for a job where she can use her Spanish studies but I think until then will work at the bakery. My brother isn't around, so she likes to be at the bakery and get distracted from missing him. We made plans to meet up again in a while.

I spent a good 3 hours reading in the garden yesterday - quite warm when the sun was there but rather bracing when the clouds came over (which they did, quite a lot). Other than that, its likely to be much the same as last month for me - GP told me I'd be signed off another month from tomorrow and still waiting for the consultant letter to arrive before I can discuss next steps with the GP. So more reading today. Will rest this morning and hopefully walk to the end of the road and back later. Enjoy your days, all :)

Thanks Athena, glad you had a nice time yesterday, the pastries sound lovely!

I've taken up cross-stitch! I'm working on my third one since Friday. I need to calm down.

I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

I spent a good 3 hours reading in the garden yesterday - quite warm when the sun was there but rather bracing when the clouds came over (which they did, quite a lot). Other than that, its likely to be much the same as last month for me - GP told me I'd be signed off another month from tomorrow and still waiting for the consultant letter to arrive before I can discuss next steps with the GP. So more reading today. Will rest this morning and hopefully walk to the end of the road and back later. Enjoy your days, all :)

It sounds like you had a nice day. I hope you have another nice day today :).

I had a busy weekend, with my brother's girlfriend coming over and going into town to do shopping. I did have fun though. I also helped my mum with something. Today I plan to try to rest a bit, I feel I can use that. I went for a nice dog walk this morning.

Been busy again the last few days - its always my busiest time with work the month end just getting all the paperwork completed for the month and bills paid. I've found its much easier to do a mini sort out at the end of every month rather than doing it every quarter like it used to. I've now got a poorly little toddler too - I think its just a cold but he was up all night coughing :( Hes now gone for a nap so I'm catching up here :)

I"m about to head out to class. We've moved on to spinoza. I can "do" spinoza, couldn't stand descartes and thought little of hobbes.

I went out early this morning to do a bit of shopping. We're getting ready for a major hurricane. I purhcased water, batteries, candles and other bits and pieces to make sure we wont be without. I had hubby move the generator to the shed on the carport and we bought fuel for it. I'm now waiting on my camp lanterns and hand radio.

A few weeks ago we had a storm that hit late at night. I was home along with my dog and hubby was at work. We lost power for hours. My phone battery went dead, my supply of candles were ineffective and my enitre neighborhood was in total darkness. After a night like that, i said "never again!"

Hope you'll be okay, Virginia ; it looks scary on the news ! :(

Had my flu jab today ( the nurse took my temperature cos I've had some bug for a couple of weeks, but it was fine, so she could go ahead with the vaccination ). So far, so good. I treated myself to a lovely candle ( vanilla frosting scent )afterwards. :)

Hope everyone else is doing okay. :D

Well, my family and friends from my hometown are under evacuation orders beginning tomorrow. I would LOVE to think that they would leave tonight insead of waiting til 3pm tomorrow. Even with both North and South bound highways (or major interstate) will be northbound only, it will still be hours of sitting in crawling traffic in the rain. My university has issued class cancellations for the remaining week. We'll have an influx of traffic on top of the storms and added to the fact that this storm is just so unpredictable. We're ready to hunker down. I already brought in the plants and put the lawn chairs in our shed. Tomorrow I will be asking neighbors for newspapers so I can set up a potty station for Kizzy. She wont go out in the rain so I'm hopping she'll go to a designated spot on the carport. If she doesn't go she won't eat. Seriously, she'll stop eating and drinking when she knows she can't get outside to relieve herself. Smart dog but I don't want her to be uncomfortable.

Been busy again the last few days - its always my busiest time with work the month end just getting all the paperwork completed for the month and bills paid. I've found its much easier to do a mini sort out at the end of every month rather than doing it every quarter like it used to. I've now got a poorly little toddler too - I think its just a cold but he was up all night coughing :( Hes now gone for a nap so I'm catching up here :)

I hope he feels better soon :(

I went out early this morning to do a bit of shopping. We're getting ready for a major hurricane. I purhcased water, batteries, candles and other bits and pieces to make sure we wont be without. I had hubby move the generator to the shed on the carport and we bought fuel for it. I'm now waiting on my camp lanterns and hand radio.

A few weeks ago we had a storm that hit late at night. I was home along with my dog and hubby was at work. We lost power for hours. My phone battery went dead, my supply of candles were ineffective and my enitre neighborhood was in total darkness. After a night like that, i said "never again!"

I hope the storm won't be so bad :(. Good luck! 

Had my flu jab today ( the nurse took my temperature cos I've had some bug for a couple of weeks, but it was fine, so she could go ahead with the vaccination ). So far, so good. I treated myself to a lovely candle ( vanilla frosting scent )afterwards. :)

I hope the vaccination helps for the flu. The candle sounds lovely :).

Well, my family and friends from my hometown are under evacuation orders beginning tomorrow. I would LOVE to think that they would leave tonight insead of waiting til 3pm tomorrow. Even with both North and South bound highways (or major interstate) will be northbound only, it will still be hours of sitting in crawling traffic in the rain. My university has issued class cancellations for the remaining week. We'll have an influx of traffic on top of the storms and added to the fact that this storm is just so unpredictable. We're ready to hunker down. I already brought in the plants and put the lawn chairs in our shed. Tomorrow I will be asking neighbors for newspapers so I can set up a potty station for Kizzy. She wont go out in the rain so I'm hopping she'll go to a designated spot on the carport. If she doesn't go she won't eat. Seriously, she'll stop eating and drinking when she knows she can't get outside to relieve herself. Smart dog but I don't want her to be uncomfortable.

I hope Kizzy will be okay :(.

My brother (on his world trip) is now in the United States. I think he's having a good time.

My uncle had surgery a few days ago and is back home now. I think he's doing okay.

My grandma had a tooth pulled, I haven't spoken with her yet though so I don't know how she's doing.

I'm doing well :).

Gaia, best wishes to your Uncle ( and Grandma, too ). :)

Thanks, Sarah :). My uncle is doing okay, under the circumstances, from what I've heard.

There was a guy at the door earlier, carrying a chicken in a box. My dad was just about to leave for work. The guy said the hen was walking around outside on the roundabout. He asked other people in the street but the chicken wasn't theirs. We've made her comfortable in an area on her own. We have to ask around and see if we can find the owner, I think otherwise we'll just keep her (unless she is ill or something). I have one person in mind who lives nearby and I know owns chicken, I don't know anyone else nearby who owns chicken. But I think he has many of them so whether he can say for sure if it's his, I don't know. I guess we'll have to see what he says. The hen's beautiful, if you ask me.

Thanks, Sarah :). My uncle is doing okay, under the circumstances, from what I've heard.

There was a guy at the door earlier, carrying a chicken in a box. My dad was just about to leave for work. The guy said the hen was walking around outside on the roundabout. He asked other people in the street but the chicken wasn't theirs. We've made her comfortable in an area on her own. We have to ask around and see if we can find the owner, I think otherwise we'll just keep her (unless she is ill or something). I have one person in mind who lives nearby and I know owns chicken, I don't know anyone else nearby who owns chicken. But I think he has many of them so whether he can say for sure if it's his, I don't know. I guess we'll have to see what he says. The hen's beautiful, if you ask me.

I`ve seen `found cat` and `found dog` posters.. I think it would be fun to put up a `found chicken` poster.  :giggle2:

I`ve seen `found cat` and `found dog` posters.. I think it would be fun to put up a `found chicken` poster.  :giggle2:

Haha :giggle2:

I like the idea of a "found chicken" poster.  Hope she's OK, sounds like she's safe with you!

Thanks :). I think my mum is planning to talk to the guy today (we suspect the chicken is his). She'll go by his house. There aren't a lot of houses / streets near the roundabout, so it has to be someone from our street really (the roundabout in the middle of our street), as the intersecting streets leading to and from the highway, well, there are no houses on those. There's the high way on one side and a road to the next area on the other. Chicken don't wander miles from their home generally, as far as I know. She went pretty far as it is to be honest, maybe the cars scared her. Ours don't come in all the corners of our garden.

A poster for the lost chicken would be a great idea!

Hope she is okay and is found by her owners soon.

Sounds like she is feeling content though, and I am very happy she was found and taken back to safety :)

What lovely people you and your neighbours are!

Hi everyone, I've been so busy with the house renovations that I've only been able pop in sporadically but it's good to keep up with all your news when I can. Good luck with the hurricane Virginia, it sounds horrific out there, I was watching a news reporter standing on the beach a couple of hours ago and the poor (or mad?) man was getting buffeted all over the place! :o

I hope you find the chicken's home Gaia, though I'm sure she will be made welcome at yours if not? My friend is a chicken fanatic and occasionally brings home a stray or an ex battery hen and they seem to be accepted fairly quickly. :)

The work on our house is almost done, I have the decorator here today so the dogs and I are camped in the dining room; it was used as a kitchen and dumping ground whilst all the work was being done so my job for today is to sort it all out, I love sorting and tidying so it isn't too much of a hardship! The work was supposed to take around 8 weeks and we are now on week 14 so we are not particularly impressed but we are very happy with the end result so it will become a distant memory soon enough, a bit like childbirth I expect ! :o:D

In other news I think I may well have just got myself a job, eek!! I haven't properly worked since before Charlie was born 17+ years ago so it will be very strange, and I need to make sure the dogs will be sorted and the kids will cope coming home to an empty house, feeding the dogs and cracking on with homework and dinner - it will either be the making of them or it will be a disaster!! It will only be three days in the week and maybe 1 weekend a month but we wll have to cope as I can't stay home much longer without going mad!  :blink:

I hope everyone else is well, happy and safe, I'll try and catch up a bit around the board today. I haven't had time to read an awful amount so not much to do there! :(

I was all set to take the doggie on a nice little walk before the rains hit but as I was lacing up my ankle brace I looked up and saw the rain. Whelp, that's that. Reading, studying and surfing the net are on my agenda.

UPDATE

I was able to get in about two miles! The rain stopped and I decided to take advantage of the calm, so now we are back inside cozy and dry. She'll lazy about, sleeping and snoring when she's not guarding the front door from flying leaves and brazen squirrels. 

Edited by Virginia