Hello from a Coloring Book Enthusiast

ButterflyGirl

Hi All, 

I am exciting to join this forum and hope I can contribute.

I am a coloring book enthusiast, mainly for the calmness I feel when coloring.  I also love to read, both fiction and non-fiction.  I just love learning new things.  I have also been working toward publishing my first coloring book, with a twist :-).  I have just completed all the pictures and now have to do the boring part of pulling it all together for publishing.  I hope, therefore, that this forum will be useful to me as well as me being useful to you all.  

It's great to be here.

Maria

Hi Maria.  Welcome to the board.

I have just gotten into the world of adult colouring myself and I love it.  I was on annual leave last week and had treated myself to the four Joanna Basford books, along with some rather expensive colouring pencils but it was totally worth it.  I spent the week alternating between colouring and reading and I had one of the most relaxing weeks ever.

Hi Maria.  Welcome to the board.

I have just gotten into the world of adult colouring myself and I love it.  I was on annual leave last week and had treated myself to the four Joanna Basford books, along with some rather expensive colouring pencils but it was totally worth it.  I spent the week alternating between colouring and reading and I had one of the most relaxing weeks ever.

How do you do that? I must be addicted to the internet... I can read for a an hour or 2 at a stretch but I feel the need to "look things up" or just do internet stuff constantly.

Conversely when I was a bit overloaded at the beginning of the year, sitting for a couple of hours with crayons and a book was a great way to switch off. Although I always was rubbish at colouring so I expect the 1 book I have will still suffice in 2 years'time, I'm so slow...

How do you do that? I must be addicted to the internet... I can read for a an hour or 2 at a stretch but I feel the need to "look things up" or just do internet stuff constantly.

The internet can be a really big distraction for me too so every now and again I 'unplug' for the day - no computer and no tablet at all for the entire day.  I don't use my mobile/cellphone for anything other than calls and texts so I'm maybe not as addicted as some people are but it's amazing how much more you get done when you are not distracted by the internet.  I also don't do social media either which probably helps too.  I do have to make the effort though (which can be difficult) but it's actually rather enjoyable to have a non internet day.  Yesterday was actually one for me (I didn't go back to work until today due to a local public holiday here yesterday) and I managed to get through a whole book and made a good start on another one which, due to my recent reading slump, was pretty darn good.

I think I'm going to have to 'unplug' when I participate in BCFs monthly read-a-thon's too because otherwise I'll not get any reading done at all.

The internet can be a really big distraction for me too so every now and again I 'unplug' for the day - no computer and no tablet at all for the entire day.  I don't use my mobile/cellphone for anything other than calls and texts so I'm maybe not as addicted as some people are but it's amazing how much more you get done when you are not distracted by the internet.  I also don't do social media either which probably helps too.  I do have to make the effort though (which can be difficult) but it's actually rather enjoyable to have a non internet day.  Yesterday was actually one for me (I didn't go back to work until today due to a local public holiday here yesterday) and I managed to get through a whole book and made a good start on another one which, due to my recent reading slump, was pretty darn good.

I think I'm going to have to 'unplug' when I participate in BCFs monthly read-a-thon's too because otherwise I'll not get any reading done at all.

I do think you're right. I did do an afternoon yesterday (I was quite pleased with myself actually!) - I'll try and at least reserve non internet time every day while I'm home. I'll certainly get more reading done. Currently getting through a book every 3 weeks on average (and I usually buy more than that!). :)

Welcome here, Maria :).

During the monthly read-a-thon I usually use the internet once a day, to post about my progress on the forum and such, but the rest of the day I don't use the internet much and instead try to concentrate on reading. So that's a good idea, I hope it helps you :). I sometimes get distracted too by the internet (though often it's also fun).

During the monthly read-a-thon I usually use the internet once a day, to post about my progress on the forum and such, but the rest of the day I don't use the internet much and instead try to concentrate on reading. So that's a good idea, I hope it helps you :). I sometimes get distracted too by the internet (though often it's also fun).

I've found in the past that whenever I've gone online during one of my 'unplug' days even if it's just briefly to check emails it's just too easy to get distracted by something else.  I'm better just staying away completely; it works best for me.  Since I joined BCF I've had to add this forum to my list of distractions.   :giggle2:

Edited by Autumn