Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

It was really warm here today actually - well, for the time of year - almost 18 degrees. I was walking around the garden at work in just my T shirt (obviously with trousers on!) at one point. The garden where I work really does look beautiful at the moment, especially first thing in the morning, with a carpet of leaves splayed across the lawn, and mushrooms popping up all over the place. I shall have to try and get up to Headley this weekend and see if there are any I can pick. I fancy a nice mushroom stroganoff.

#42 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,350 posts
  • Reading now?:To catch a Rabbit by Helen Cadbury & The house of Eyes by Kate Ellis
  • LocationSE England

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

It was nice here too, quite warm and I even managed to pick a few more tomatoes.

Dull and grey today so far.

#43 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:48 PM

Well, the weather finally turned a couple of days ago, and now it's freeeeeeezing in the evenings.  I managed to hold off turning the central heating on until now, but it's hard to type when your fingers are shaking.  ;)  Only a matter of weeks now until the Christmas hoo-hah begins in earnest, and everyone starts to panic about how behind they are with their shopping!  I can't wait.  No, really.  I love this time of year.  

#44 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:31 PM

It's not considered really "winter" here til after Thanksgiving. Then all the crazy Christmas stuff begins. Fake snow in store windows, trees and presents and all that.

#45 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,350 posts
  • Reading now?:To catch a Rabbit by Helen Cadbury & The house of Eyes by Kate Ellis
  • LocationSE England

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:21 AM

Christmas hoo-hah started weeks ago!  But it has turned cold now, yesterday was lovely in the morning and  then rained most of the afternoon and evening.

#46 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:26 AM

Well Halloween and Bonfire night are out of the way so more and more decorations are going up in the shops for Christmas. 

Love walking past the shops first thing in the morning before they open and seeing the displays.

#47 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,059 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

The Christmas decorations went up in shop windows here beside the Halloween ones in the last week of October. It's absolutely insane, I don't know why anyone thinks its necessary, or who actually likes it!

My cut-off is usually my birthday, Nov 12th, after which Christmas is permissible :P

I'm not sure we can call it autumn out there anymore - it's freezing and the leaves are mostly gone!

#48 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationSE England

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

Some of the shops in London have surreptitiously been bringing Xmas stuff in since September, and Selfridges Xmas shop was open in August.

#49 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:17 PM

I love looking at the leaves outside my window and while driving through or walking my dog in our neighborhood. Unfortunately, someones got to rake/blow them. Glad its not me! I honestly don't know why this needs to be done. I read somewhere that decaying leaves make excellent fertilizer. I could go for that excuse! Hubby on the other hand, can't, lol!

With the love of autumn comes the scourge of the dead leaves.

#50 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,059 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:21 PM

I think it's safe to say that over here, it's Winter now :lol:

#51 pontalba

pontalba

Nabokovian

• Advanced Member
  • 6,411 posts
  • Reading now?:sooo far behind.....
  • LocationNorth of Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana, USA

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

Virginia, that is absolutely correct!  The decaying leaves do make excellent fertilizer.  Raking up all the leaves around some of the beautiful oaks down in Metairie (suburb of N.O.) has killed or at least hurt  many of them.  Also the night-time lighting that some people put on their trees will eventually kill the trees.  Plants sleep, and they can't when they are lit up all the time.  I recently read a scientific article on that very subject. 

When we moved up to the Northshore, we bought a 5 acre lot, the people that had previously lived here had studiously raked every single leaf on the place.  The huge oak in the back was very badly off.  Well, we had Muscovy ducks, and allowed the leaves to stay where they fell, and the changing of the ducks water every day helped.  That tree is now gorgeous! 

We're about to have our first freezing night....maybe tonight....it'll be close, but definitely tomorrow. 

#52 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,340 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

It has been a lot colder here these past few days, with a slight frost in the mornings. The temperature when I got to work yesterday was hovering around 4 or 5 degrees - cold, but not what I consider to be really cold. Cold to me is when it gets to almsot zero. I don't tend to feel the cold as much as most people I know though - it must come from all those winters walking around Lundy and watching northern lights in Iceland! Actually I love this sort of weather, on the onset of winter. If I didn't have to be at work every day I would out walking for miles. That's why I love working where I do, as we have beautiful gardens to walk around and enjoy, and I get to spend half my time walking across them to different parts of the site. Despite being at work, half my time is spent outdoors anyway. I got one of those fitness trackers a few weeks ago, and was surprised to find that I walk an average of 4 miles each day at work. It saves me a fortune, as it means I don't have to pay to go to a gym.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users