51 replies to this topic

#21 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationNear Milton Keynes, UK

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

Must admit with no children in the house (grown up stepdaughter doesn't really count, haha) we don't tend to bother with presents. We exchange gifts for birthdays and adhoc times through the year which is a nice surprise but we tend to give to charities at xmas instead. Last year I found some local animal charities and money went to them.

Not saying everyone should do that of course but it means far less stress about xmas in this house. :D

#22 Peacefield

Peacefield

Welcome to Robot Club

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,254 posts
  • Reading now?:Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd by Alan Bradley
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

Autumn is my favorite season, but here in the northern plains of the US it's a bittersweet time since we know what's right around the corner.  I normally don't like the heat of summer, but as I've gotten older I want the summer to drag on and the fall going on even longer because I. Hate. Snow.  If we had only summer and autumn seasons I would be in heaven.  OR, if we could have Thanksgiving and then skip to the first day of spring I would be happy with that as well :P.

Have you ever been to the US, Kell?  Halloween certainly is big here!  Too bad we have below 0 temps in the winter, at least where I live.  BOO.

#23 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,143 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

It's Mabon - the Autumn Equinox. After today, the nights are longer than the days, till we hit Yule (the midwinter solstice). :cat: :kiss:

#24 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,891 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

It's Mabon - the Autumn Equinox. After today, the nights are longer than the days, till we hit Yule (the midwinter solstice). :cat: :kiss:

:exc: :exc: :exc: 

It's been really blustery here in the last 24 hours. My little city is basically in a valley between two surburban hills on the north and south, and I am on one hill looking across at the other, so I can see the northside suburbs all lit up at night. This is also a very green city and the northside is also covered in trees, so what I was seeing last night was lights properly twinkling like Christmas lights as trees were blown around and covered and uncovered them. It was such a lovely effect! :D

#25 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Reading now?:A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor & End of the Roadie by Elizabeth Flynn
  • LocationSE England

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

That sounds lovely.  Been windy here too.

#26 Angury

Angury

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Reading now?:Writing at the Margin: Discourse between Anthropology and Medicine by Arthur Kleinman
  • LocationNorthern Ireland/Wales - UK

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:17 PM

Bizarre to think that Autumn is here. I was still been wearing summer clothes until I got horrendously trapped under an attack of rain this afternoon.

Out comes my raincoat. :(

Although I do like the early nights - it's rather cosy being huddled under the duvet inside.

Edited by Angury, 25 September 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#27 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,891 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:15 AM

Seeing people wearing duffel coats and scarves today. It's not THAT cold yet. There was a bit of a nip when I was going for my shower though. Think it might be time to put the heating on for an hour in the mornings :D I shouldn't be happy, because heating costs money, but I am :D

Cannot wait for payday and to start looking at Halloweeny things!

#28 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Reading now?:A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor & End of the Roadie by Elizabeth Flynn
  • LocationSE England

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

Yes last night was really cold, and it's nippy in the mornings but still meant to be quite warm.

We took our guest dog to a café in the local park yesterday and managed to have tea outside, and Saturday was lovely.

#29 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:27 AM

Must admit the electric blanket has been going on most nights before bed now for a week or so. Pleasant weekend here - my wife drove me out on Saturday to Claydon House, a NT place about 45 mins away and we managed to enjoy the gardens in the sunshine quite a bit, albeit more sitting down than normal, for me. Perhaps it will be the last such afternoon of the year, so was very pleasant. Back to grey and dull skies today. :)

#30 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,273 posts
  • Reading now?:1984 and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:10 PM

It was 37C here yesterday :(

#31 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationSE England

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:59 PM

We've had the heating on too, in the morning and evening.

#32 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

I'm actually able to start layering my clothing Leggings, tanks and long shirts. Our temps will start to drop this evening and we'll probably turn the ac off and open the windows from here on out. 

I've been working on the shopping list for my pantry and placed some winter togs in amazon shopping cart (long johns, socks, etc). Its easier to shop like this than looking for them in the stores. I can never find the sizes I need, either I'll find a medium bottom in long johns but not in tops, etc. 

Another thing I've been collecting is my teas and coffee. I still need hot coco and apple cider. I'll have to set up a coffee/tea station on my kitchen counter or else it'll get messy.

#33 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

That's just a wee bit too hot for me :o

#34 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

That's just a wee bit too hot for me :o

Me too!

#35 Autumn

Autumn

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

Me too!

And me.  I struggle with the mid-20s!

I love the cold, dry Autumnal mornings but I could have done without the heavy rain to go with it this morning.

#36 Kolinahr

Kolinahr

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Reading now?:Chrestomanci - Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones
  • LocationUnited Arab Emirates

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:07 PM

I feel your pain!

#37 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,273 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:43 AM

And today, 30 degrees Fahrenheit cooler, 21C... I hope we have finally reached Fall here now!

Went looking in the shops today and am wanting (but also need) a Fall wardrobe. Saw some corduroy pants, long sleeved t's and some light sweaters that I want. Also fixing to order the remaining Christmas gifts on my list. I want to actually have money in December, so I'm buying now.

#38 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

That's a huge difference in temperature!

I hope you enjoy buying some nice clothes :).

#39 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

I started knocking out my list. My deep freezer is coming along nicely. As its just me and the hubby, I have more than enough to feed us well. I also stocked up on detergents and toiletries. Since going through my closets, I realize that I don't need a lot of clothes. I can mix and match most things. I do plan to go out today and find me some nice slippers. Mine are pretty threadbare and aren't very comfortable. 

Oh yeah! I did purchase more "mulled cider" scented candles and these apple, cinnamon handmade little brooms to place around the house. I'm really loving the smells!

#40 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

The temps have finally aligned with the month and it is autumn! Leaves are changing and falling and my home smells of cinnamon and apples. Hubby made a roast this past Saturday and it was delicious. This week (Friday) I'll make a soup, not sure what kind as yet but it will go in the crockpot and last for a couple of days. The problem with making soup is remembering to cut it in halves. I'm used to making for a crowd, now its just me and hubby. I don't want to make so much that I have an over abundance in my freezer either. One of my favorite soups is actually baked potato soup. OMGosh! Its absolutely to die for! Baked potatoes, heavy cream, chicken stock, bay leaves, (sour cream, cheddar cheese, cooked bacon added last as if it were a baked potato). All kinds of good stuff. I'd love to make it now but I think I'll wait another couple of weeks for that delight. 

I've been breaking out my headscarves, walking boots, leggings and sweaters and I must say, I feel pretty hipster-ish, lol! There's something about being able to cover a multiple of sins with several layers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users