#1 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:56 PM

Decided to pop this topic in as there isn't one. That and its my way of trying to fast forward the end of summer and get settled into the glorious season of colors, pumpkins, spices, scarves, sweaters and tights, lol!

Isn't it just a bit bizarre that those of us who can't wait to get on the other side of summer because of the heat, can't wait for autumn so we can put on sweaters, scarves, hats, tights, etc...lol!!! We ARE a contradiction, aren't we?!

I finally broke down and purchased my favorite mulled cider scented candles. Not only did I purchase them, I've lit them. Heck, I'm on my third one. Granted, they are smaller versions but the fact remains, in my mind, fall is here. Its the law; once you light the fall scented candle, there is no turning back. 

I'm currently working on my grocery lists. I like to start purchasing holiday food stuffs early so I won't find myself without or short, when the time comes. I also like to start stocking up on provisions. Even though we have mild winters, it is still winter and we get power shortages. I guess its my "hunter-gatherer" gene kicking in. 

The cozy sweaters, leggings, scarves and hats are an added incentive! I'm investing in a couple pair of slippers and another set of winter pajamas. 

Just a few of my basic staples are...

coffee

tea

popcorn

cider

legumes (beans)

basmati  and brown rice

ingredients for homemade soups and chilis

WINE

fluffy blankets 

BOOKS

Anyone else excited to see the end of summer?

#2 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

It seems everyone is excited this year about Fall, not just us Autumn lovers :D

We are going to try and do the same thing, start buying Thanksgiving dinner groceries now. I've already started buying Christmas presents.

#3 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

I think I must have been a bear in a previous life cause all I want to do is draw in and hibernate! 

I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and hit their clearance table. With 8 little grands to shop for, I HAVE to start early, even though we've decided to be more frugal. It wont be so much about quantity but quality. They'll get one individual gift and then a "family" present. The adult children will receive a gift card and a membership card to Costcos or Sams and a Create 365 Happy Planner (for the mommies). The mothers and mother in laws will get a nice piece of costume jewelry as they really like them.

As for what we give each other, not sure. We have to pay for my graduation in December so that may do it for me but if our youngest daughter and her family move to Texas (from Cali) then we may spend Christmas there. If our youngest dd and her family move they will live within a few miles of our eldest dd and her family. My girls, son in laws and grands will be together and we wont have to pick which one to visit, lol! That will be worth the trip!

#4 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationNear Milton Keynes, UK

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

Summer was a bit rubbish - I think we had a couple of weeks or reasonable sunshine and a few odd weeks of decent weather but nothing like a normal summer where the weeks of sunshine follow 1 after the other. The last few days where the sun came out again were welcome (for me, anyway! lol).

I don't mind Autumn with blue skies. Autumn with grey heavy solid cloud does my head in! Everything's grey then, I hate it! Cooler weather I don't mind, as a rule. :)

#5 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

Summer was a bit rubbish - I think we had a couple of weeks or reasonable sunshine and a few odd weeks of decent weather but nothing like a normal summer where the weeks of sunshine follow 1 after the other. The last few days where the sun came out again were welcome (for me, anyway! lol).

I don't mind Autumn with blue skies. Autumn with grey heavy solid cloud does my head in! Everything's grey then, I hate it! Cooler weather I don't mind, as a rule. :)

I can definitely understand where you're coming from Flip! I wish you many sunny fall days! I'm the opposite, weird really, I enjoy a gray sky, it gives me excuses not to leave the house, cozy up with tea/coffee and watch marathons of Lord of the Rings!

#6 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 12,058 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:33 PM

Isn't it just a bit bizarre that those of us who can't wait to get on the other side of summer because of the heat, can't wait for autumn so we can put on sweaters, scarves, hats, tights, etc...lol!!! We ARE a contradiction, aren't we?!

See, my reasoning is this: When it's too hot, there's only so much you can take off before it becomes illegal in public. When it's cold, you get to choose the number of layers and types of materials (light scarf to cover your throat or big woolly scarf to wrap your whole face in) in order to make yourself the perfect temperature.

It makes far more sense to like the cool/cold than it does to like the hot. My housemate (from New Orleans) is already complaining about it getting colder in the mornings and I'm just like, PUT MORE CLOTHES ON. Ain't complicated!

I for one am SO HAPPY the summer is coming to an end. I have a winter coat from Joe Brown's picked out (two, actually, but they're expensive so I'll start with one!) and I discovered a website which sells plus-size leggings and tights in every colour imaginable, so my plan is to get a few pairs of leggings which while match my scarves (first stop, burnt orange ones to go with my burnt orange knitted scarf) and wear them with my new black coat when I get it!

I cannot wait til it gets cooler!

#7 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:35 AM

I'm like you, Virginia, I love cloudy (rainy) skies.

#8 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,332 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:10 AM

I will miss the sun on my skin and the feeling of warmth that you get from summer - plus of course sitting outdoors with a good book, but I am looking forward to the feel of autumn in the air. In Iceland you can feel it, when you go up into the highlands at least from the middle of August. The air just somehow smells different. There is a clarty and a crispness which only sensitive people can detect. I haven't started to feel it yet here, but it won't be long now - usually by the first week of October.

#9 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:36 AM

I love autumn - I'm not a fan of summer while we live in the caravan - its too hot in here :(

But i love autumn with pumkin spiced lattes and jumpers and snuggling up with a hot chocolate and a good book - its bliss :)

#10 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,161 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

Autumn is my favourite season of the year! Not only are both my boys' birthdays (and mine too!) are in Autumn, but there's Halloween - my favourite holiday! (I'm pretty sure I should have been American, because here in the UK, Halloween isn't as BIG as I'd like it to be, and I'm pretty certain I'd love Thanksgiving too!). I love the crisp air, and the changing colours of leaves, and the darker evenings, and blackberry picking, and making jam, and stodgy puddings, and everything it entails! And once Halloween and Bonfire Night have passed, I can start to get really Christmassy - yay!

#11 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

I love autumn - I'm not a fan of summer while we live in the caravan - its too hot in here :(

But i love autumn with pumkin spiced lattes and jumpers and snuggling up with a hot chocolate and a good book - its bliss :)

I'm only a fan of pumpkin when its squished into a pie pan, lol!

You live in a caravan? How interesting? Is it only seasonal? I'd love to know more about it if its not to intrusive. In my minds eye, I'm a nomad!

Autumn is my favourite season of the year! Not only are both my boys' birthdays (and mine too!) are in Autumn, but there's Halloween - my favourite holiday! (I'm pretty sure I should have been American, because here in the UK, Halloween isn't as BIG as I'd like it to be, and I'm pretty certain I'd love Thanksgiving too!). I love the crisp air, and the changing colours of leaves, and the darker evenings, and blackberry picking, and making jam, and stodgy puddings, and everything it entails! And once Halloween and Bonfire Night have passed, I can start to get really Christmassy - yay!

I do remember your total and absolute LOVE of autumn, lol! You celebrate Halloween the entire month of October! You do seem an autumn-y person. Even your coloring speaks of colorful leaves.

I will miss the sun on my skin and the feeling of warmth that you get from summer - plus of course sitting outdoors with a good book, but I am looking forward to the feel of autumn in the air. In Iceland you can feel it, when you go up into the highlands at least from the middle of August. The air just somehow smells different. There is a clarty and a crispness which only sensitive people can detect. I haven't started to feel it yet here, but it won't be long now - usually by the first week of October.

I'd love to see your pictures, Tali, Its been a while since you've posted any. 

The sky definitely looks different. The mornings are cooler as are the evenings. I think the south will be experiencing an early and unusual autumn/winter this year.

#12 Kolinahr

Kolinahr

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Reading now?:Chrestomanci - Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones
  • LocationUnited Arab Emirates

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:45 PM

See, my reasoning is this: When it's too hot, there's only so much you can take off before it becomes illegal in public. When it's cold, you get to choose the number of layers and types of materials (light scarf to cover your throat or big woolly scarf to wrap your whole face in) in order to make yourself the perfect temperature.

Definitely my theory, and certainly why it's so difficult to adapt to a hot climate.

#13 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

I love the sun, been very lucky this year we have had plenty of weeks away in the UK and wherever we have gone the weather has been beautiful and warm.

Don't mind Autumn as long as it is dry but once it starts raining, I think we should all stay in bed and read until it is over.

#14 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

I'm only a fan of pumpkin when its squished into a pie pan, lol!

You live in a caravan? How interesting? Is it only seasonal? I'd love to know more about it if its not to intrusive. In my minds eye, I'm a nomad!

I wish it was only seasonal - I've lived with OH in a static caravan for the last four years on his parents farm. To be honest it would be ok if it was just us two but we have an almost 2 year old and the amount of things that a toddler has means we are very tucked up for space. We were planning on building ourselves a place however we are now moving into the farm bungalow which is 4 bedroom and building a two bedroom place for OH's parents.

Living in the caravan is ok as long as you dont have too much stuff - for example all my books are in the farm bungalow in storage as we dont have the room here - my book corner was sacrificed for the toy corner for little one. However it is still a fun experience!

#15 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,324 posts
  • Reading now?:The Body on the Doorstep by A J Mackenzie & The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:53 PM

I like the autumn colours and that lovely woodsmokey smell, but don't like the darker mornings and the drop in temp, you can't beat feeling warm sun on your face.  Hopefully we'll have some lovely sunny autumn days.

#16 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,161 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

I went blackberry picking again today. :)

#17 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:23 AM

I went blackberry picking again today. :)

That is one of the good things about Autumn. We have plenty within 10 mins walk of our house across a field but I can't get that far at the moment - so my wife was out early this morning armed with gloves and secateurs and came back with a bagful. She makes delicious fruit crumbles :)

#18 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:24 AM

I can definitely understand where you're coming from Flip! I wish you many sunny fall days! I'm the opposite, weird really, I enjoy a gray sky, it gives me excuses not to leave the house, cozy up with tea/coffee and watch marathons of Lord of the Rings!

Now for me, curling up with a hot drink and a movie is for night time! I have to be doing things during the day, even if (as at the moment) I can't get out much. I still have to do stuff on my computer or the internet. Its maddening - I have so many dvds I haven't watched yet!! lol

#19 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,729 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

I love those autumn mornings when the sun is out, it's a blue sky, but there's just that tinge of crispness in the air that makes gives it a bite and makes it feel fresh and clear.  I start work early, so I'm often up and about when the sun is just coming up, and I love it when I get to work and the walk from the car park is just that perfect blend of all the attributes of autumn coming together.  Can't wait! :D

#20 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,324 posts
  • Reading now?:The Body on the Doorstep by A J Mackenzie & The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

Well today according to Google is the first day of Autumn.  Bought my first Xmas present yesterday :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users