Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee

I'm glad you enjoyed both books :). I shall have to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird some day, then think about if I want to read Go Set a Watchman or not.

Yes, well, Athena,

Watchman is a different kind of book.  If Mockingbird was the collision between Scout's youthful exuberance and the staid cultural standards of the town, then Watchman is more like the collision between Jean Louise's fully formed liberal outlook and the transitional racial culture of a town still coming to terms with, and resisting, racial integration.  Watchman is definitely a racial novel, and not just a picture of Atticus' racial views which attract most of the comment about the book.  As a moderate picture of the times it is not badly drawn.

Your choice,

Paul

Edited by Paul

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, well, Athena,

Watchman is a different kind of book.  If Mockingbird was the collision between Scout's youthful exuberance and the staid cultural standards of the town, then Watchman is more like the collision between Jean Louise's fully formed liberal outlook and the transitional racial culture of a town still coming to terms with, and resisting, racial integration.  Watchman is definitely a racial novel, and not just a picture of Atticus' racial views which attract most of the comment about the book.  As a moderate picture of the times it is not badly drawn.

Your choice,

Paul

I think that's a great comparative description.  And as long as they don't become too buried in the stack, I suppose I'll read them.  In a bit. :D

I think that's a great comparative description.  And as long as they don't become too buried in the stack, I suppose I'll read them.  In a bit. :D

Thanks for the compliment.  Re reading the books: you could do worse. :D