Books about ADHD

I have recently become aware that one my work colleagues (my new Manager) has ADHD. Of course he is now a grown man in his 20's, but the symptoms still form part of his life. As with other conditions of this nature, it stays with you for life. I would like to be able to help him manage this a little, and also understand more, so I wondered whether anyone knew of any books on this subject. I was thinking more in terms of novels about those experiencing it than non fiction - something like My Dog Bites, or similar books about autism perhaps, where you get inside the  head of the person experiencing this, only about ADHD. If anyone has any suggestions that would be very much appreciated - preferably I should add on Kindle.

Hmm, well most of the books I read about ADHD are non-fiction written by Dutch authors and haven't been translated. So that's not very helpful. I haven't read many novels with someone who has ADHD in it, I'd be interested to know some titles (but preferably in paperbook :P). Sorry I can't be more helpful :(.

Are you sure he has ADHD? Another thing is he may not appreciate your wanting to help him, has he asked? If he has achieved a management level job he is presumably dealing with his own problems.  I am just throwing this in. Read a book by all means 

Are you sure he has ADHD? Another thing is he may not appreciate your wanting to help him, has he asked? If he has achieved a management level job he is presumably dealing with his own problems.  I am just throwing this in. Read a book by all means 

Yes - he has told me this himself. The reason I want to help him with it is because others in my team have noticed and commented on his sometimes erratic behaviour and raised concerns with his own Manager. I have noticed it too. Now that I know that he has this, it helps to explain the way that he often behaves and does things - the difficulty staying focussed on things especially and prioritising our workload. This is important with the other cleaner on what looks like long term sick leave, and the 2 of us having to share his workload. My Manager only works part time, while I work full time, so the bulk of the extra workload is falling to me. I do not know whether he has told his own Manager about his condition, and will not be the one to do so, but if he hasn't I can see that this may cause problems further down the line, as they will not understand the reasons for his seemingly erratic behaviour.

I did not prompt his telling me this, he just came out with it during the course of one of our many conversations about life, work and other things. This is a good thing as it means that there is a high level of trust there - trust that I do not intend to break. I just want to understand things a bit more so that I know how best to relate to him as both a human being and a Manager.

Thanks for the link chaliepud - I will have a look and see what is available here in the UK.

Edited by Talisman