An interesting book about 'Tsar' Nicholas II of Russia

So a few years back I watched the Disney movie 'Anastasia' (used to watch it as a kid back int he 90's as well!). After the movie I did some research on the movie and found out that it was (sort of) based on a true story about a real Russian family/ the Romanovs. I read about Nicholas Tsar  and the history behind his family on Wikipedia which I found really interesting!                                                                                        

Then, a couple of years ago I also watched a documentary about thee family which I really liked. Then last weekend I started watching the British drama 'Victoria', which somehow triggered me to remember Nicholas 2 of Russia and what I had read and watched about them before.

The Question: So,  I am looking for a an interesting book  to read about the Romanovs (although that dates back hundreds of years) and about Nicholas 2 Russia and his family, the bolshevik uprising, the murder of the family etc (so general information?). I have found 'Nicholas and Alexandra' but that does not seem like what I want.

Any other help of recommendations are much appreciated, thanks! :) 

Hi,

I also read about Nicholas Tsar II and would like to suggest you the following book:

The Last Tsar:The life and Death of Nicholas II by Edvard Radzinsky.

You can find it in Amazon easily.

Hope this helps.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. Is the book about when Nicholas was born, growing up etc? I read on amazon what the book is about, and it mentions that its a emphasis of the last 18th months of his life/rule so I am not quite sure if its a really detailed last 18th months or just about a bit of everything?

Also, I think I saw this at my University's Library. Is this the small book with tiny text? :P

Hi,

Not exactly what you're looking for but Orlando Figes is considered a modern authority in the field of Russian history, and wrote an extensive analysis of the Revolution that you might be interested in: A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution: 1891-1924.

Probably not really what you're looking for, but you may enjoy Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak which is not specifically about the Tsar and his family, but is set during the Russian revolution.

We studied this subject in history at school and I found it fascinating too. Particularly interesting was the influence Rasputin had on Alexandra.

Probably not really what you're looking for, but you may enjoy Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak which is not specifically about the Tsar and his family, but is set during the Russian revolution.

We studied this subject in history at school and I found it fascinating too. Particularly interesting was the influence Rasputin had on Alexandra.

Appreciate the help, although not what I am really looking for, does sound like an interesting read!

Thank you all so much for the recommendations, I really do appreciate the help. I think I am going to go and purchase "Nicholas and Alexandra" by Robert K. Massie as it seems to talk about the beginning of Nicholas Tsar, his life and story growing up, getting married, meeting different people, the revolution etc. 

Thanks again! :)